Text Size

High School Sports

high school basketball playoffs

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

high school basketball playoffs

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:21 pm

Great game on STO right now that I attended earlier this evening.....Lutheran East vs. Chanel. I'm sitting behind the LEHS bench. Go Falcons.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: high school basketball playoffs

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:42 am

I believe the Mentor/North Ridgeville game is tonight @ 6:00 on STO.

Keep an eye out for Jaron Crowe, PG, Mentor.

He lit up Brush last week and will look to do the same tonight. And he is my cousin.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Pup wrote:I believe the Mentor/North Ridgeville game is tonight @ 6:00 on STO.

Keep an eye out for Jaron Crowe, PG, Mentor.

He lit up Brush last week and will look to do the same tonight. And he is my cousin.

Should be a good doubleheader at the Convo center tonight as WGH vs. St. Ed's will be the nightcap.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby mistero » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Just got back from the game. Mentor had Ridgeville on the ropes. Man, they slow the game down. HS basketball needs a shot clock.
Ridgeville hung in there to battle back in the end. Go Rangers!

Watch a bit of the Ed's game too. They have a 4'1 point guard. He sunk the first 3 points. Wild.

Hey Mentor, with you 40,000 student body, where were you? Ridgeville fans had you 4-1. West side baby. :nanner:
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:38 am

mistero wrote:Just got back from the game. Mentor had Ridgeville on the ropes. Man, they slow the game down. HS basketball needs a shot clock.
Ridgeville hung in there to battle back in the end. Go Rangers!

Watch a bit of the Ed's game too. They have a 4'1 point guard. He sunk the first 3 points. Wild.

Hey Mentor, with you 40,000 student body, where were you? Ridgeville fans had you 4-1. West side baby. :nanner:

1. Terrible choice by Mentor's coach to slow that game down. They run all year, but in Regionals you slow the game down when you are facing a team the outsizes you like that? Bad. Even my wife kept asking me why they were just standing around.

2. Mentor people are too good for Downtown Cleveland. (Didn't there used to be one of those smilie things puking? Insert that in this spot.)

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 am

Mentor led most of the game, just couldn't hit some open shots. They ran a similar set against Brush in the district final, just not with same execution and conversion of opportunites.
Great comeback by WGH in the other game.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 am

fundamentals wrote:Mentor led most of the game, just couldn't hit some open shots. They ran a similar set against Brush in the district final, just not with same execution and conversion of opportunites.
Great comeback by WGH in the other game.

Sorry took me so long to get back Fundamentals. I will admit to not really following HS Hoops, including Mentor, though my cousin is a starter on one of the better teams in the area. Kind of silly. Plans are to follow it closely for his senior year.

Saying that, I obviously do not know too much about Brush. My thought is they are more of an up and down the floor type of team, so Mentor taking the air out of the ball makes sense. And it worked, so kudos.

Now, North Ridgeville is more of a half court team. They want the game to slow down. When Mentor was running in the first half, they were still missing shots, but had them on the ropes because the big fellas from NR couldn't get in position to get rebounds. Mentor had about 10 offensive boards in the first half. In the second half, not only were they missing those shots, they had no chance on the glass because of their size disadvantage.

I just think they tried to get too cute. Also, credit to Ridgeville. They busted their asses on the defensive end of the floor. Again, I think it was because they realized what Mentor was doing, and knew it played right into their hands. They were rejuvinated because the game was turning into their type of game.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:17 am

Solid takes Pup.

If you think about it though, for two and a half quarters, Mentor dictated the game and led by eight. The N.R. kid hit a three and it just seemed after that, Mentor was looking to hang on. I was surprised that they weren't able to stop the N.R. run and pull out the win. I have seen the Cards play a number of games over the years and I can't ever question Coach K's decision. The guy does an outstanding job, year in and year out.

I was really disappointed in them losing because I felt that Mentor's best chance to get to Cbus was there for the taking as they had played WGH real tough at Harding earlier in the year and that they could beat the Raiders.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm

fundamentals wrote:Solid takes Pup.

If you think about it though, for two and a half quarters, Mentor dictated the game and led by eight. The N.R. kid hit a three and it just seemed after that, Mentor was looking to hang on. I was surprised that they weren't able to stop the N.R. run and pull out the win. I have seen the Cards play a number of games over the years and I can't ever question Coach K's decision. The guy does an outstanding job, year in and year out.

I was really disappointed in them losing because I felt that Mentor's best chance to get to Cbus was there for the taking as they had played WGH real tough at Harding earlier in the year and that they could beat the Raiders.

Cannot argue with his success either. But they dictated the game in their style for two and a half quarters. Even the greats outthink themselves on occasion.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to High School Sports