Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Our Wide Receivers

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Our Wide Receivers

Unread postby jonmcq007 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:58 am

So which wide outs are left on our roster? I know we have Bralyon, Steptoe, Cribbs, and who else? There's no chance that JJ comes back is there? So does this mean that if the season started today our 1 and 2 would be Braylon and Steptoe with Cribbs in the slot?

I would think they would have to pick up another receiver? maybe like a Matt Jones or Torry Holt or a Robinskie late in the draft?

Thoughts? jon
jonmcq007

Re: Our Wide Receivers

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:21 pm

jonmcq007 wrote:So which wide outs are left on our roster? I know we have Bralyon, Steptoe, Cribbs, and who else? There's no chance that JJ comes back is there? So does this mean that if the season started today our 1 and 2 would be Braylon and Steptoe with Cribbs in the slot?

I would think they would have to pick up another receiver? maybe like a Matt Jones or Torry Holt or a Robinskie late in the draft?

Thoughts? jon

Pretty sure you can cross Stallworth off the depth chart...

sorry that was bad....

:hide:
"If I sell a lil' crack, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I die in Iraq, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I take you fo granted, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I f- up the planet, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it"

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby jonmcq007 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:01 pm

yeah i know i almost feel sorry for him. but he was drunk and it was 7 in the morning and he was still out. sorry i dont. but what do we do about our receivers?
jonmcq007

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:13 pm

jonmcq007 wrote:yeah i know i almost feel sorry for him. but he was drunk and it was 7 in the morning and he was still out. sorry i dont. but what do we do about our receivers?

Lots of running plays....
"If I sell a lil' crack, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I die in Iraq, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I take you fo granted, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I f- up the planet, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it"

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:48 pm

maybe they'll have open tryouts. can't be worse than what they got now.

i'm gonna start working out again! "Injordanable"
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:05 pm

It means BE should stay for his contract year, and I see a WR coming yet in FA .
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:28 pm

JB wrote:It means BE should stay for his contract year, and I see a WR coming yet in FA .

Who though? Torry Holt? After him it gets pretty thin at WR. Especialy if you need a #2.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Seems like slim pickings right now. Amani Toomer, Marty Booker, Lance Moore?
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby antikryct » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:01 pm

jfiling wrote:Seems like slim pickings right now. Amani Toomer, Marty Booker, Lance Moore?

Miles Austin? I know the Cowboys are high on him. I didn't realize he was unrestricted.
antikryct

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:08 pm

I smell an open tryout with a bunch of receivers who will either get their big break, or will never be seen again after the 2009 season.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 pm

why not go after jabar gaffney? familiar with the ne system, pretty reliable, not too old. i'd go after him and shaun mcdonald.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 pm

Crabtree.

Even before Donte murdered someone.

If Curry is gone, I would have no problem with Crabs.

Although I would absolutely love it if they could get Percy Harvin somehow. Dude is the most explosive player I've ever seen, and is way tougher than people think.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:51 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Crabtree.

Even before Donte murdered someone.

Although I would absolutely love it if they could get Percy Harvin somehow. Dude is the most explosive player I've ever seen, and is way tougher than people think.

Crabs is also so obvious it hurts.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:56 pm

JB wrote:

If anyone is expert enough to know this it is clearly the author of the post. :bag:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hydra Melee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Axo clearly intended this sentence to be used as a joke.

I don't think we need anymore WRs. I mean, last time I checked we had the indestructible Paul Hubbard and the Immortal Lance Leggett on our roster. Besides, if we do maybe possibly lose Stallworth, we can try to get Steve Sanders back.

Imagine all of these guys in a 5 WR set... don't you just feel bad fo the defense?
"Paul Hubbard for the Practice Squad" publicity game: Contestants are run to Berea in the middle of the night and spray paint their name and address on a window at the Browns' office. First person arrested gets to make a public announcement outside the courthouse that Paul Hubbard must be given a spot on the Browns' practice squad for the 2009 season.
Hydra Melee

Favorite Player: David Veikune
Least Favorite Player: Random Steeler

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:14 am

Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:

If anyone is expert enough to know this it is clearly the author of the post. :bag:

Nothing like fighting a hangover with hot coffee spit all over myself...Sorry JB but thats hysterical
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:17 am

metalhead9x9 wrote:why not go after jabar gaffney? familiar with the ne system, pretty reliable, not too old. i'd go after him and shaun mcdonald.

Pretty sure Gaffney signed in Denver with McDaniels
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

Nicastro13 wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
JB wrote:

Nothing like fighting a hangover with hot coffee spit all over myself...Sorry JB but thats hysterical

It's all good. Me & Peeks like that. But actually his Mom gave me the clap, not crabs.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:24 am

aoxo1 wrote:Although I would absolutely love it if they could get Percy Harvin somehow. Dude is the most explosive player I've ever seen, and is way tougher than people think.

Dude has Reggie Bush type written all over him. Not that Bush sucks by any means of course, but he has not nor will ever make the impact it was expected he'd make b/c he is a part time situational back. No IBTT (in between the tackle) capability, same goes for Harvin.

Harvin would be a good dessert for a team in our position.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:09 pm

FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:Although I would absolutely love it if they could get Percy Harvin somehow. Dude is the most explosive player I've ever seen, and is way tougher than people think.

Dude has Reggie Bush type written all over him. Not that Bush sucks by any means of course, but he has not nor will ever make the impact it was expected he'd make b/c he is a part time situational back. No IBTT (in between the tackle) capability, same goes for Harvin.

Harvin will end up as the best player from this draft.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:18 pm

do yourselves a favor and look up "Kenny Britt" on youtube.

'bout damn time we get our own version of Wines Hard, don't you think?

Best of all, he can be had for a 2nd rounder.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:20 pm

when i think about the receiving corp we were going into last preseason with I think how stoked everyone was with that personnel. What a difference a year makes.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:03 pm

FUDU wrote:

That's the comparison everyone makes. And I might be biased when talking about Harvin, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but while they are similar in that they are both WR/RB type guys, Harvin has more of a place in the league. He tends more towards WR while Bush tends more to RB. Which is good, considering the type of players they both are. While he isn't an IBTT punishing runner, he has shown himself to be a tougher runner than Bush ever was. And when I say explosive, I mean he is like a hydrogen bomb to Bush's Fat Man. When he cuts, sees a hole, and turns it up field he's got the quickest first step I've ever seen. Just preternatural acceleration.

If he didn't have the injury concerns, I would say it is a no brainer that he is a top 5 pick. Of course, so would everyone else as he would have been so devastating in college (even moreso).

If all you really saw of him was the BCSNC against OU, you saw he was the best player on the field (yes, better than Tebow). And that entire game I was thinking "Percy is still hurt, he ain't even close to 100%. Seems a step and a half slower than normal."
aoxo1

Unread postby mistero » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:26 pm

It's WR's. Who really cares? We have BE and Steptoe. That's enough for me. Legget, Sanders and Hubbard plus a 2nd day guy can percolate in the background.

We need a big running back to pair with Harrison and 2 or 3 linebackers. No way we can repeat the mistake of BE and waste a draft pick that high for Crabtree.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby tired » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Don't count on Edwards wearing a Browns uni. He's Gone !!!
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:13 pm

tired wrote:Don't count on Edwards wearing a Browns uni. He's Gone !!!

Friend in berea says different.

Braylon's been shooting the breeze with the locals, and has been in town for OTA's and working hard.

He's staying.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:26 am

aoxo1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

That's the comparison everyone makes. And I might be biased when talking about Harvin, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but while they are similar in that they are both WR/RB type guys, Harvin has more of a place in the league. He tends more towards WR while Bush tends more to RB. Which is good, considering the type of players they both are. While he isn't an IBTT punishing runner, he has shown himself to be a tougher runner than Bush ever was. And when I say explosive, I mean he is like a hydrogen bomb to Bush's Fat Man. When he cuts, sees a hole, and turns it up field he's got the quickest first step I've ever seen. Just preternatural acceleration.

If he didn't have the injury concerns, I would say it is a no brainer that he is a top 5 pick. Of course, so would everyone else as he would have been so devastating in college (even moreso).

If all you really saw of him was the BCSNC against OU, you saw he was the best player on the field (yes, better than Tebow). And that entire game I was thinking "Percy is still hurt, he ain't even close to 100%. Seems a step and a half slower than normal."

Problem is do you justify X amount of touches for him and if so how do you get them for him in the National Football League. A league where everybody else is not slow and many are just as fast as you.

Every other year or two there is the latest greatest BUsh/Harvin type and yet that player has never taken the league by storm as anticipated. They have their moments, and put up some gawdy numbers in a couple games and even win a game but eventually they get game planned against and become as much of a challenge to figure out how to use for their OCs.

If Harvin ends up the best player from this draft then this is a piss poor draft, or the NFL will have gone to crappola in the next few years. Harvin is a great pick and an impact player for the Steelers, Patriots and Giants of the world who have so many other pieces in place they can gamble a bit with potentially part time player like Harvin. Bringing him into the every down mix of things slowly and let his explosiveness be more a factor by picking and choosing the spots to implement him.

We the Browns, we have no such luxury.

Harvin is ROY on those clubs with only 150 carries and 100 balls thrown his way, for us he would be a game time decision 7-8 weeks out of the year and on his way to the 4 year average career leaving all sorts of what ifs out there.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:25 pm

FUDU wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Problem is do you justify X amount of touches for him and if so how do you get them for him in the National Football League. A league where everybody else is not slow and many are just as fast as you.

Every other year or two there is the latest greatest BUsh/Harvin type and yet that player has never taken the league by storm as anticipated. They have their moments, and put up some gawdy numbers in a couple games and even win a game but eventually they get game planned against and become as much of a challenge to figure out how to use for their OCs.

If Harvin ends up the best player from this draft then this is a piss poor draft, or the NFL will have gone to crappola in the next few years. Harvin is a great pick and an impact player for the Steelers, Patriots and Giants of the world who have so many other pieces in place they can gamble a bit with potentially part time player like Harvin. Bringing him into the every down mix of things slowly and let his explosiveness be more a factor by picking and choosing the spots to implement him.

Harvin is ROY on those clubs with only 150 carries and 100 balls thrown his way, for us he would be a game time decision 7-8 weeks out of the year and on his way to the 4 year average career leaving all sorts of what ifs out there.

I agree that Harvin is more of a luxury type guy and am not advocating the Browns grab him at #5. But I'll just say that I never buy into the hype around these types of players (Ginn, Bush, whoever) and generally expect them to be crappy, situational type guys. Harvin, to me, is different. Pure football player and is not predicated on raw speed so much as explosiveness/acceleration/tremendous vision and doesn't shy away from contact like so many others.

I don't see teams viewing him as a guy who is going to carry that many times though. He is more of a WR that will get a few carries per game on certain teams.
aoxo1

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:40 pm

I like simple, easy to understand comparisons. Is Harvin the next Eric Metcalf?
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:40 pm

The more I look at Crabtree, he reminds me somewhat of Braylon back in his college days, maybe a little like Fitz.

He's going to be a great player for someone, and in any other time I'd be clamouring to get him. But, he may not be the type of companion that Braylon needs in the recieving corp. I think really looking at it Robiskie could be good in walking in and being a Jurevicious for Braylon.

Triple-S

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Robiskie just don't excite me at all, and this is coming from a tOSU fan who watched just about every snap he took while in Columbus. if we do take a WR, i really like Darius Heyward-Bey, and Hakeem Nicks
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby tired » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Triple-S wrote:
tired wrote:Don't count on Edwards wearing a Browns uni. He's Gone !!!

Friend in berea says different.

Braylon's been shooting the breeze with the locals, and has been in town for OTA's and working hard.

He's staying.
Cool hope your right. I"m just saying what I heard on Bruce Drennon couple weeks ago.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby DrPoove » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:18 pm

jordan kramer wrote:Robiskie just don't excite me at all, and this is coming from a tOSU fan who watched just about every snap he took while in Columbus. if we do take a WR, i really like Darius Heyward-Bey, and Hakeem Nicks

Heyward-Bey is legit. One of the few things enjoyable about Maryland Football last season. Ratbirds have a big hard on for him.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Why are players who score touchdowns a "luxury" for the Browns?
jb

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:33 pm

With the welcomed return of David Patten this is how the current WR's career reception/per game look:

Edwards 3.93
Steptoe 1.18
Patten 2.20
Cribbs 0.26
Hubbard 0.00
Leggett 0.00

OPTIONAL: Stallworth 3.11

In summary, our WR's average 7.58 recs/game without Nicco & 10.69 with him...

Even further, our TE's avg 3.1 as do our RB's...

Without Nicco, our offense averages 13.7 catches per game or 3.4 catches per quarter...

Do ya think maybe DA & BQ are wishing some of these trade rumors are true?

Just sayin'
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL