Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Slashfood: The Best Sandwiches in America

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Slashfood: The Best Sandwiches in America

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:00 pm

http://www.slashfood.com/2009/03/16/sla ... n-america/

Couple of local joints make this list. I'll have to try the Parmageddon sometime.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Slashfood: The Best Sandwiches in America

Unread postby 216 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:06 pm

When in Miami or Tampa try a pressed Cuban

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:10 pm

216 wrote:When in Miami or Tampa try a pressed Cuban

Dick Cheney make those?

Or David Stern?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Locally, The Melt is the best sandwich I've ever had. They are amazing.

Also, talking Cubans ... Bahama Breeze in Beachwood makes a damn good Cuban sandwich. Never had one before trying theirs for the first time 3-4 years ago.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby 216 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm

Swerb wrote:Locally, The Melt is the best sandwich I've ever had. They are amazing.

Also, talking Cubans ... Bahama Breeze in Beachwood makes a damn good Cuban sandwich. Never had one before trying theirs for the first time 3-4 years ago.

I cant wait to get Cleveland and try that place out any suggestions?

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:29 pm

The Sandwich Factory in Boardman, Ohio. I've lived in NE Ohio, 3 parts of Arizona, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. I traveled back and forth across the country a few times, eating at sandwich shops because I'm a freak for a good sub. I can honestly say The Sandwich Factory's subs are the best. Cheaper than Subway, twice as large and their bread is ridiculously good.

I never had a bad sandwich there, and I've had just about all of them. For five years that was my once-a-week treat when I worked right down the street from the place.

I know I'm biased, but I do make sure I eat there at least once everytime I come back to visit, even if it's just for a weekend.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 pm

216 wrote:
Swerb wrote:Locally, The Melt is the best sandwich I've ever had. They are amazing.

They've got like 30 different sandwiches.

The Parma Italy, the Hot Italian, Tokyo Tuna Melt, and North Coast Shores are my favorites.

http://www.meltbarandgrilled.com/grilledcheese.html

Also, they have the best beer selection in Cleveland. 25 on draft, and like 175 in the bottle. Beer menu is like 9 pages. And they list the alcohol content of all their beers ... which I love.

Only drawback ... it is small. And popular. Get there for lunch by 11:50. Or for happy hour by 5:00.

Luckily, my office is about 75 feet from the front door.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 am

Swerb wrote:
216 wrote:

They've got like 30 different sandwiches.

The Parma Italy, the Hot Italian, Tokyo Tuna Melt, and North Coast Shores are my favorites.

http://www.meltbarandgrilled.com/grilledcheese.html

Also, they have the best beer selection in Cleveland. 25 on draft, and like 175 in the bottle. Beer menu is like 9 pages. And they list the alcohol content of all their beers ... which I love.

Only drawback ... it is small. And popular. Get there for lunch by 11:50. Or for happy hour by 5:00.

Luckily, my office is about 75 feet from the front door.

Melt was started by a chef from one of the trendy Ohio City/Tremont restaurants, and I can remember the name of neither...
I think Westside Monte Cristo is my favorite, but I don't often get it as it's real easy to pick something new of the menu.

The Fried Twinkies are awesome, but may induce diabetic shock in some people.
OpusTPenguin

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:54 am

OpusTPenguin wrote:
Melt was started by a chef from one of the trendy Ohio City/Tremont restaurants, and I can remember the name of neither...
I think Westside Monte Cristo is my favorite, but I don't often get it as it's real easy to pick something new of the menu.

The Fried Twinkies are awesome, but may induce diabetic shock in some people.

Chef from Johnny Mango's left there to start The Melt.

Still never ordered the Fried Twinkies, though I hear they are awesome. Sandwiches alone put you in the afternoon coma after lunch there. Adding a Fried Twinkie on top of one of those sammiches just takes balls.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Swerb, WTF is a Cuban sammy anyway?
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:44 pm

justmebd wrote:The Sandwich Factory in Boardman, Ohio. I've lived in NE Ohio, 3 parts of Arizona, Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. I traveled back and forth across the country a few times, eating at sandwich shops because I'm a freak for a good sub. I can honestly say The Sandwich Factory's subs are the best. Cheaper than Subway, twice as large and their bread is ridiculously good.

I never had a bad sandwich there, and I've had just about all of them. For five years that was my once-a-week treat when I worked right down the street from the place.

I know I'm biased, but I do make sure I eat there at least once everytime I come back to visit, even if it's just for a weekend.

For real?

I tried that place and all I could think was premade gas station deli.

I've seen more meat on a bulemic Ethiopian super model. The turkey tasted like it was from an Oscar Meyer plastic pack from a Food Lion.

The bread was just a Schweible's soft white bun that hadthe texture of wonder bread.

Wild subjectivity in tastes, huh? I'm glad you like tSF. There's one a block from me so I wish I did.

Maybe Peeker is right? LOL. :bag:

If I did give it another go, what should I order?
Last edited by jb on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jb

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:47 pm

JB wrote:

Pork, ham, mustard, pickles, cheese ... pressed in one of those sandwich squooshing machines.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:47 pm

There's something about Jimmy John's that even as a chain is kickin'. I can't put my finger on it but I think it is the mayo and the roll.

And I don't care what anyone says. Is there anything better than a Panini giving you that extra boost to keep going at 1 am , or as a morning aftre pick-me-up?

And there's this place in beautiful downtown Stuther's called Fat E's attic that makes this retarded set of overstuffed panini's, but they are almost good for you with all the fresh grilled peppers and chicken. Only the cheese is an artery clogger.

But ladies and germs, I need a moment of silence. You can have all the exotic hi-falootin' sammies in the world.

You just gimme my 14 " Roman Burger .
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Swerb wrote:
JB wrote:

Pork, ham, mustard, pickles, cheese ... pressed in one of those sandwich squooshing machines.

Mmmmmm. Pork products. Gonna have to try one. There's a cuban take out place not too far from me.

jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:52 pm

I am a fan of Primati's in Pissburgh. The best thing in that joint.

But their cheese steak?

Suck my ass. It's a ground beef patty. No way is it the quality of a Philly cheese like from Gino's in Philly. And everyone knows that the correct classic Primanti is the dang capricolla.
jb

Unread postby swerb » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Just had The Ultimate Gyro at The Melt ... sammich of the month for August.

Sweet mother of Jesus ... if you are near Lakewood in the next four days, go get one of those GD sandwiches and thank me later. Really, really good.

Brought my wife and kids there for the first time today too. They were lovin life.

Place is just crazy anymore. 15-20 people standing, waiting for tables for lunch by 11:45. You're not there by 11:40 for lunch, 5:00 for drinks, you're waiting.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Haven't had the time to read this thread, but this list blows.

Pats sucks.

The Chacarero in Mass is an average at best sandwich, nothing more than a standard chain style lunch.

The other place is Mass is okay.

This is a list full of bull s h i t overblown averageness.

A popularity contest centered around nothing more than rep.

Feh.

The best sandwich place in Boston is no where on the list, but two other pieces of average from the city make it (and the best place in Boston is recognized as such by everyone from the NY Times to papers from New Zealand).

And no NY deli in the top nine?

They should own most of the top five.

I spit at this list.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:44 pm

JB wrote:

Is this a real question?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:51 pm

I thought Boston had the Eagle Deli? A guy that works for me raves about that place.

The fact the Ohio Deli on South High isn't on this list means it doesn't count.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Schruted it » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 pm

I've abandoned eating at Melt... Carry out, 1 hour ahead of time is the best strategy. It's also going to be on the new season of Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives so the wait will get even worse!
Schruted it

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:34 am

dawg, Eagle's Deli is not about sandwiches, it is about death by burger.

As featured on the best episode of Man v Food:

(first 10 min)

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:39 pm

JB wrote:I am a fan of Primati's in Pissburgh. The best thing in that joint.

But their cheese steak?

Suck my ass. It's a ground beef patty. No way is it the quality of a Philly cheese like from Gino's in Philly. And everyone knows that the correct classic Primanti is the dang capricolla.

Amen brother, the cheese steak debate begins and ends with Gino's. Philly was a rough town but everyone should try one of those in their lives.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:44 pm

jack_tors wrote:

But their cheese steak?

Amen brother, the cheese steak debate begins and ends with Gino's. Philly was a rough town but everyone should try one of those in their lives.

Single most overrated piece of food in the US.

Pat's, GIno's, etc...

All average food.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:52 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

But their cheese steak?

Pat's, GIno's, etc...

All average food.

Doesn't one of them use american cheese slices and the other one cheese whiz? No thank you.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:29 pm

I've abandoned eating at Melt... Carry out, 1 hour ahead of time is the best strategy.

Me too. Haven't actually eaten at Melt for maybe a year now, but it makes for great takeout once every couple weeks (I'm so very grateful to live a mere 5-10 minute drive away). And even the wait for takeout is obscene (45+ minutes).

Their expansion into the 2nd room has really been a complete cluster F. It was obvious that the old setup needed a waiting area of some sort when it got to the point that all the space in between tables, on the walls, etc was filled with people standing and waiting for a table. But to use half of the expanded space for that purpose? Without seeming to do anything with the size of the kitchen? I've been there (picking up food) several times when they're not seating anyone in the expanded space at all and using the whole thing as a giant waiting area. While telling everyone who walks in the door to expect a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby swerb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
I've abandoned eating at Melt... Carry out, 1 hour ahead of time is the best strategy.

Me too. Haven't actually eaten at Melt for maybe a year now, but it makes for great takeout once every couple weeks (I'm so very grateful to live a mere 5-10 minute drive away). And even the wait for takeout is obscene (45+ minutes).

Their expansion into the 2nd room has really been a complete cluster F. It was obvious that the old setup needed a waiting area of some sort when it got to the point that all the space in between tables, on the walls, etc was filled with people standing and waiting for a table. But to use half of the expanded space for that purpose? Without seeming to do anything with the size of the kitchen? I've been there (picking up food) several times when they're not seating anyone in the expanded space at all and using the whole thing as a giant waiting area. While telling everyone who walks in the door to expect a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait.

There's nothing they can do to expand the size of the kitchen, I've talked to Fish about it.

When they open the patio, they can't seat people in the 2nd room. They can only have one or the other open. Nothing but a biproduct of kitchen size. Tiny back there. Nothing they can do ... just a small place with a tiny kitchen, and no room to expand. That has developed a cult following.

Even in the last year I've been going there, I've seen a big difference. Last fall, used to be able to roll in there at noon and get a table for lunch ... get a seat at the bar at 5:15 for beers. Not anymore.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:13 pm

I know the owner of one of the more successful bars on Cleveland's west side and the rumor he has mentioned is that Melt is considering relocating somewhere close to their current location but obviously to a bigger place.

Again just a rumor right now.

I would love it if Melt moved to Kamm's Corner and took the spot where Gene's Place is, that place is a waste, average food at ridiculous prices.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 pm

FUDU wrote:I know the owner of one of the more successful bars on Cleveland's west side and the rumor he has mentioned is that Melt is considering relocating somewhere close to their current location but obviously to a bigger place.

Again just a rumor right now.

I would love it if Melt moved to Kamm's Corner and took the spot where Gene's Place is, that place is a waste, average food at ridiculous prices.

There's a building right across the street, almost the entire first level is empty. Couple prime spots. Think a Starbucks is going into one of em.

Heard a Rusty Bucket (chain of taverns) was supposed to go into the other spot ... but the deal fell apart a couple months ago.

Would not surprise me at all to see The Melt change spots. Place is a cash cow. Leaving all kinds of money on the table every day. Funny watching how many people walk in and walk back out when hearing about the wait.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:46 pm

When they open the patio, they can't seat people in the 2nd room. They can only have one or the other open. Nothing but a biproduct of kitchen size. Tiny back there. Nothing they can do ... just a small place with a tiny kitchen, and no room to expand

Maybe there's a good reason why this couldn't have worked, but it looks to me like the waiting area is considerably larger than the kitchen--why couldn't they have built a new, much bigger kitchen where the waiting area is now and converted the kitchen into a waiting area?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby swerb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
When they open the patio, they can't seat people in the 2nd room. They can only have one or the other open. Nothing but a biproduct of kitchen size. Tiny back there. Nothing they can do ... just a small place with a tiny kitchen, and no room to expand

Maybe there's a good reason why this couldn't have worked, but it looks to me like the waiting area is considerably larger than the kitchen--why couldn't they have built a new, much bigger kitchen where the waiting area is now and converted the kitchen into a waiting area?

About 3-4 months ago, they closed for a week to renovate the place. Redo the celings, floors, patio, office upstairs. Comment I heard a couple times was that there was nothing they could do with the kitchen.

Moving it over there woulda cost an arm and a leg likely ... also, woulda took away the back door.

You are right though, that's the most spacious part of the whole restaurant, and it's wasted with people just standing there waiting for tables.

I don't think there's anything they can do about it though.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:10 am

I have not been there since they created the waiting area, how big is it? Big enough to seat enough people to make it worthwhile (another 4-6 tables)? Seems to me the dumbest thing they could do is NOT use it for seating more guests. Almost sounds like the only hope they have (if they stay) is going the route of reservations to eliminate the excess amount of people standing around, but it just isn't that kind of place.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 am

FUDU wrote:I have not been there since they created the waiting area, how big is it? Big enough to seat enough people to make it worthwhile (another 4-6 tables)? Seems to me the dumbest thing they could do is NOT use it for seating more guests. Almost sounds like the only hope they have (if they stay) is going the route of reservations to eliminate the excess amount of people standing around, but it just isn't that kind of place.

They'd love to seat more guests. Again, problem is, kitchen is tiny. Can only produce so many tables worth of food.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:01 pm

jfiling wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
jack_tors wrote:

But their cheese steak?

Pat's, GIno's, etc...

All average food.

Doesn't one of them use american cheese slices and the other one cheese whiz? No thank you.

J, you get to pick from American/Provolone/Whiz at Geno's. I always went with one of the first two. I don't remember what the cheese choices were--or if there even were choices-- at Pat's....it's been 4 years since I was there.

I lived in Philly for 3 years. I liked Geno's steaks more than Pat's. But I've had cheesesteaks at 15 or so locations in the greater Philly area and the absolute best was at a place called Steak and Hoagie Factory in Abington, PA.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:08 pm

I ate at The Melt for the first time yesterday. Had the Hot Italian. It was very good, although waiting 90 minutes for a sandwich is something I will not do very often...maybe just when friends/family come to town. I also had a bite of the Chorizo and Potato which is what my wife got. That was pretty good too. I plan on trying the Parmageddon next time I venture up there. I was real impressed with the beer list. Outstanding selection.

Why do they play cartoons on the TVs? I wanted to ask the bartender but I didn't want to seem like an a-hole because they probably get that question a lot. Maybe they don't always have cartoons on, but my wife ate there a month ago and she said cartoons were playing that day also.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby swerb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 pm

idoctribefan wrote:I ate at The Melt for the first time yesterday. Had the Hot Italian. It was very good, although waiting 90 minutes for a sandwich is something I will not do very often...maybe just when friends/family come to town. I also had a bite of the Chorizo and Potato which is what my wife got. That was pretty good too. I plan on trying the Parmageddon next time I venture up there. I was real impressed with the beer list. Outstanding selection.

Why do they play cartoons on the TVs? I wanted to ask the bartender but I didn't want to seem like an a-hole because they probably get that question a lot. Maybe they don't always have cartoons on, but my wife ate there a month ago and she said cartoons were playing that day also.

The cartoons on the TV is classic. At least one TV always has them on. You tried to do that in Beachwood, where my old office was, all hell would break loose.

The entire staff there is a pack of raging hippies. But the nicest lot of people in the world. I always joke that they have a four foot bong by the time clock.

Awesome sandwiches, the best beer selection in Cleveland, and the friendliest staff of workers you'll find anywhere. No surprise the place is packed to the gills from open to close.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry