Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

"We gotta get this guy"-NFL Draft Canidiates

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

"We gotta get this guy"-NFL Draft Canidiates

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm curious who do you guys want with the Number 5 pick, if we can't get Currey. Or who we should get with 2nd/3rd round picks.

Been looking over a lot of the Mock drafts and apparently we've been forced to get Orapako in the draft. I'm not really big DE/OLB prospects in the first round (Kam Wimbley anyone?), but from the looks of it, Orapako is a bit of a beast, very fast and seems to be very strong, the only downside is he is sort of like Wimbley in that he only has one move apparently, so Rob Ryan I would hope would teach other ways to get pressure on the QB.

Crabtree seems awesome, and like a 2nd generation Larry Fitzgerald, although he doesn't help our defense. If Braylon finds a way to put Stickum on his hands without getting caught and isn't traded, the air game would be pretty damn good.

I've grown on him a lot, if not for the gaping hole at Linebacker, I'd be screaming to get him. He's very physical and pretty fast, he'd be in the mold of a Eric Turner, Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnifield. The difference between the last two is Jenkins has size.

I'm curious, is there anyone at the Number 5 pick (if Currey isn't there), that screams as a must have that would improve our team out of those three+anyone else?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: "We gotta get this guy"-NFL Draft Canidiates

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:27 pm

seriously we need to trade down and get this guy. he's gonna be a stud for the next decade. bank on it (cash) .

P.S. Erin Andrews, so hot, want to touch the heiny. oh the things i would do to her :wow:
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Hydra Melee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:39 am

Admittedly I missed (almost) the entire CFB season last year, so I can't really speak all that well on this subject. That being said:

There is no single player that I really want the Browns to draft with the 5 pick. I'll accept whoever it is, but I am excited about none of them. Yet.
"Paul Hubbard for the Practice Squad" publicity game: Contestants are run to Berea in the middle of the night and spray paint their name and address on a window at the Browns' office. First person arrested gets to make a public announcement outside the courthouse that Paul Hubbard must be given a spot on the Browns' practice squad for the 2009 season.
Hydra Melee

Favorite Player: David Veikune
Least Favorite Player: Random Steeler

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:58 am

If Orakpo is all that and its a slam dunk take him, if not and Crabtree is on the board grab him, with the 5th pick you can only draft need if there is a clear cut choice available (Curry). We can't throw top 5 money at someone who we aren't sure on. Yes we have holes on D, I get it, but we need (and mangini and Koko) need to get this first pick right, can't have wasted first rounders PERIOD.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:02 am

Clay Matthews Jr, only if we trade down to the late first round. Has very good pass rushing skills, much needed on this team.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:26 am

Nicastro13 wrote:If Orakpo is all that and its a slam dunk take him, if not and Crabtree is on the board grab him, with the 5th pick you can only draft need if there is a clear cut choice available (Curry). We can't throw top 5 money at someone who we aren't sure on. Yes we have holes on D, I get it, but we need (and mangini and Koko) need to get this first pick right, can't have wasted first rounders PERIOD.

That's probably the only way to go. Let's not forget Crabtree would actually fill a current and future hole, so it's not like we're just going BPA without regard for team needs. The more I think about it, if Crabtree is there the Browns HAVE to draft him. Unless Orakpo is going to be a stud immediately and for the next 6 years.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby bw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:53 am

Matt Jones was cut by the Jag-yu-ars. An empty uniform? A 'workout warrior?' A Combine phenom?

I don't think he's lived up to his draft status but still...........??
bw

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:13 am

trade dowwwwwwwwwwwn
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:39 am

osucrazy18 wrote:trade dowwwwwwwwwwwn

You'd love to do that, its just not many teams look to move up because of the guaranteed money you have to throw at these guys to get them signed. Best bet is if the OT's are on the board at 5, unlikely but it would be the best shot we have with Cinncy sitting behind us, teams would have to look at our spot because I think Cinncy would go OT if one of top two are still there. Crabtree could also get us some options, but not being able to work out hurts that, but it may end up helping us land him, so take it could work out in our advantage.
Nicastro13

Unread postby daddywags » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 am

At 5 I've wanted one of either Curry, Jenkins, Orakpo or Moreno. Curry probably won't be there and Jenkins and Moreno have fallen lower on most draft boards, leaving Orakpo. But I'd still be fine with either Jenkins or Moreno even though they didn't run as fast as hoped. Jenkins can still be a solid cornerback who can support the run, and they aren't easy to find. Moreno can be an every down, work horse type, running back who gets the most out of every run, although he lacks top end speed so won't have too many 50-60 yard plays. Orakpo worries me a bit because I'm not sure he can translate to OLB in our 3-4 defense. Crabtree has too many red flags for my tastes: shorter than advertised, not particularly fast, played in a wide open offense geared to build up stats for QBs and WRs, and now he's got a foot or leg injury so he's coming in injured.
daddywags

Unread postby bw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am

daddywags wrote:At 5 I've wanted one of either Curry, Jenkins, Orakpo or Moreno. Curry probably won't be there and Jenkins and Moreno have fallen lower on most draft boards, leaving Orakpo. But I'd still be fine with either Jenkins or Moreno even though they didn't run as fast as hoped. Jenkins can still be a solid cornerback who can support the run, and they aren't easy to find. Moreno can be an every down, work horse type, running back who gets the most out of every run, although he lacks top end speed so won't have too many 50-60 yard plays. Orakpo worries me a bit because I'm not sure he can translate to OLB in our 3-4 defense. Crabtree has too many red flags for my tastes: shorter than advertised, not particularly fast, played in a wide open offense geared to build up stats for QBs and WRs, and now he's got a foot or leg injury so he's coming in injured.

If Dee-Troit makes a trade for a QB (entirely possible) Matt Stafford could fall to our position. If that QB Detroit acquires happens to be Cutler, the Donks would be in the market for a QB and Stafford is the numero uno QB on most boards.

St Looie needs an OLT in the worst way, KC just got a QB, Seattle has a good QB and there is NO WAY Stafford makes it to the Donks. Just.Ain't.Gonna.Happen.

We could get lucky.
bw

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:53 am

Triple-S wrote:Been looking over a lot of the Mock drafts and apparently we've been forced to get Orapako in the draft. I'm not really big DE/OLB prospects in the first round (Kam Wimbley anyone?), but from the looks of it, Orapako is a bit of a beast, very fast and seems to be very strong, the only downside is he is sort of like Wimbley in that he only has one move apparently, so Rob Ryan I would hope would teach other ways to get pressure on the QB.

I'm curious, is there anyone at the Number 5 pick (if Currey isn't there), that screams as a must have that would improve our team out of those three+anyone else?

Boilermaker - This is TCE thinking. Shawn Merriman was an OLB number one. So was DeMarcus Ware. We just have to draft and coach better and then the Kam Wimbleys stop being busts and the Shawn Merriman's arrive. Don't think it won't happen just becasue it hasn't happened yet. Saying you don't want a position becasue Wimbly busted is like saying no DE because of Cortney. No RB becasue o Green. No DT because of Big Penny. Etc.

As to the "screams as have to have" ?

Just get me a very good player for the next decade. Please. For once? If you have to add in position need? It has to be a pass rusher IMO. The Browns' play on Sunday.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby bw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:27 pm

JB wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Been looking over a lot of the Mock drafts and apparently we've been forced to get Orapako in the draft. I'm not really big DE/OLB prospects in the first round (Kam Wimbley anyone?), but from the looks of it, Orapako is a bit of a beast, very fast and seems to be very strong, the only downside is he is sort of like Wimbley in that he only has one move apparently, so Rob Ryan I would hope would teach other ways to get pressure on the QB.

Boilermaker - This is TCE thinking. Shawn Merriman was an OLB number one. So was DeMarcus Ware. We just have to draft and coach better and then the Kam Wimbleys stop being busts and the Shawn Merriman's arrive. Don't think it won't happen just becasue it hasn't happened yet. Saying you don't want a position becasue Wimbly busted is like saying no DE because of Cortney. No RB becasue o Green. No DT because of Big Penny. Etc.

Just get me a very good player for the next decade. Please. For once? If you have to add in position need? It has to be a pass rusher IMO. The Browns' play on Sunday.

Merriman was taken at the 12th spot. With a draft pick from the Gints that was almost like using found money. Ware was an 11th spot pick and a serious need for Parcells' installing of the 3-4 for Dallas.

If we could trade down to 11 or 12 and get Curry or Orakpo, I'd have nothing to say about it.

Nothing.
bw

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:47 pm

bw wrote:
JB wrote:

Merriman was taken at the 12th spot. With a draft pick from the Gints that was almost like using found money. Ware was an 11th spot pick and a serious need for Parcells' installing of the 3-4 for Dallas.

If we could trade down to 11 or 12 and get Curry or Orakpo, I'd have nothing to say about it.

Nothing.

If we could get the next Ware or Merriman at 5 , I'd have nothing but good things to say about it.

If we could tarde the 5 overall and get the actual Ware or Merriman, I'd have nothing but good things to say.

I wouldn't want Wimbley on day two.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Perceived value of picks by slot is overrated.

All that matters is outcomes.

Easily said. Easily debunkable by the "yeah, but" set as hindsight rather than objective asessment and evaluation.

But so irrefutably true.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm

JB wrote:
bw wrote:
JB wrote:

Nothing.

If we could get the next Ware or Merriman at 5 , I'd have nothing but good things to say about it.

If we could tarde the 5 overall and get the actual Ware or Merriman, I'd have nothing but good things to say.

I wouldn't want Wimbley on day two.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Perceived value of picks by slot is overrated.

All that matters is outcomes.

Easily said. Easily debunkable by the "yeah, but" set as hindsight rather than objective asessment and evaluation.

But so irrefutably true.

Exactly, Even if we picked at 25 whoever is taken has to more than just a guy, and nees to make a legit impact and be penciled in as a starter for years to come. we cannot afford to miss on day one any longer.
Nicastro13

Unread postby BadBecks » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Well, if Mangini really wants to go "full retard" into the Belichick version of the 3-4 he'd tale B.J. Raji. Assuming we keep big Shaun, they would form a great duo who will play a big role in finally stopping the run as well as allowing our LB's to make more plays on the field. Our rotation of DL would also still include, Williams, Smith and Smith. A lot of depth there.

Belichick used 3 first rounders on his 3-4 DL's in Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork. With those three elephants up front keeping the linemen busy, has enabled New England to effectively use mid round draft picks and free agents at LB. Ok, so Jerod Mayo finally broke that trend last year, but you get the idea.

Will that be the right pick? Time will tell, but don't be surprised if it happens.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner

Unread postby Fubar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:13 pm

How about someone who won't be a complete waste. As for who that is I have no idea. A lot of guys look great in college and get completely overwhelmed in the NFL. Al least Phil isn't around to trade away the picks after the first round.
Fubar

Favorite Player: Jerry Sherk
Least Favorite Player: any Steeler

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Brandon Pettigrew is the guy I think will be an instant starter from day 1, ideally I'd prefer to trade down and get him although he has been moving up in some mocks I've seen. I know it's not the most glaring need but I don't see the Browns heading into 09 with Heiden and Rucker as the TE's. Looking at the "coaching tree" Mangini comes from I believe this may be the guy. In N.E. they had Watson & Coates and in NY he had Baker and then signed Franks. This kid blocks and has good hands which fits the style of offense they will be running.

I'd also like to see them use the 2 second round picks and/or a QB trade to get back into the 20's if Maualuga is still there. If they come out with Pettigrew and Maualuga day one I am very pleased.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby jonne99 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

For some reason I think passing on Rey would be a mistake. I'd like to pick another linebacker (possibly matthews) in the second round. I don't think you pick jenkins and I'm not sold on curry. Wake didn't really play that tough schedule and although this is not the only indicator of how a player will perform in the NFL, i think his draft status is hyped.
but in no place is the pain like Cleveland's: all-encompassing, multi-generational, redundant and unique at once.
---Scott Raab of Deadspin
jonne99

Favorite Player: corban rogue&jay
Least Favorite Player: heather hill

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 am

Given the "state d'affaires" Mangini inherited (including Stallworth saga), he chose to "fill" holes with temporary sealant (see free agency acquisitions) and trade away Winslow. Curry will be gone and nobody wanting to trade up with us. There isn't a clear cut #5 warranted pick . I wouldn't commit suicide if we took Raji, Orapako, Crabtree, or OT. Jenkins , Rey & Beannie are crawling up into the conversation. The fun starts at 36 & 50. :hic:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL