Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Who's Your Favorite player not named LeBron on the Cavs?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Favorite Non-Lebron '08-'09 Cavalier?

Mo Williams
25%
Delonte "Brother Red" West
45%
"Z" Zydrunas Ilgauskus
22%
Anderson "Wild Thing/Sideshow Bob" Varejão
4%
Wally "World" Szcerbiak
1%
Joe Smith
1%
Daniel "Boobie" Gibson
No votes
J. J. Hickson
No votes
Tarence "TK" Kinsey
No votes
"Big"Ben Wallace
No votes

Total votes : 67

Who's Your Favorite player not named LeBron on the Cavs?

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Just curious, very hard to find one guy on this team I don't like, If I could've had the ability to I would have added Sasha to this list and Uncle Austin.

With the return of Joe Smith and the current success of this team I thought this would be a good thread to do.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Who's Your Favorite player not named LeBron on the Cavs?

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:54 pm

Mo.

Brother Red is the heart and soul but Mo is like a cool, calculating killer sometimes. And then smiles about it. Too smooth for me to ignore.
Last edited by DrPoove on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Squints » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Z. For his perseverence alone.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Dwest for sure, the guy is seriously one of the SMARTEST basketball players i've ever seen
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby CharacterIV » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Mo gets my intellectual vote because his contributions have likely been the greatest single reason that the Cavs have improved so dramatically this season.

Z gets my sentinmental vote because he's still the same stalwart, hard-working, floor-burning Z that we've loved for over a decade.

Bro Redz gets my actual vote though, because he's producing solid numbers (especially with his recent theft-o-rama) while evolving into a potent scoring force and hustling 24/7 on the floor. From the opening tip of the season, Delonte has been the glue guy and soul for this team, representative of their defensive mindset and desire to do the little things to win.

It's a hard choice, kinda like picking your favorite sexual position (as in they're all good choices), but Bro Redz carries the day narrowly for me.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Brother Redz
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Chris » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:02 am

I love them all...but Mo Williams. I actually like him more than LeBron, in some respects. He's just the quiet guy, the silent killer. He's the dude who we got and people thought he'd be a nice addition but not really be LeBron's true sidekick we've always looked for...but slowly, surely, it turns out that he is.
Chris

Unread postby papacass » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 am

CharacterIV wrote:It's a hard choice, kinda like picking your favorite sexual position (as in they're all good choices), but Bro Redz carries the day narrowly for me.

[awkward silence falls over the room] :wha?:
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:29 am

Papa Cass wrote:
CharacterIV wrote:It's a hard choice, kinda like picking your favorite sexual position (as in they're all good choices), but Bro Redz carries the day narrowly for me.

Uhhhhh...

That's what she said?

:?:
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby CharacterIV » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:02 am

Papa Cass wrote:

Mayhap that was phrased more awkwardly than I realized when typing it.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:11 am

Delonte.

Gotta love Mo and Z as well though. All three are great guys on and off the court and fun to watch.

I've always had a soft spot for Andy too.

And Boobie, thanks to his performance in the 2H of game 6 of the 2007 EC Finals, will always have some love from me. The barrage of threes, the Sheed ejection, the trophy presentation, then about 90 minutes of man hugs in the plaza. I'll never forget it. Hoping to supplant it with some even better memories in 2-3 months here.

This is about as likable a team as I've seen in this town. No dicks. They play smart and hard and all like each other. And they are GOOD.

They're the anti-Browns.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:45 am

Swerb wrote:They're the anti-Browns.

Ding ding ding.

On one end of the spectrum, the Cavs... on the other, the Browns.

LOL, over the past half decade, the Cavs have done the rebuilding stage RIGHT and are reaping the benefits.

The Browns... let's just say they "can't get out of the 3rd grade". It's like the FO is mentally retarded. It really is.

Thank god for the Cavaliers.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:20 am

General Mo Stanley Williams
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Mr. X » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:30 am

This season it's Mo.

But overall, it's Z easily. I thought he was done 6 years ago and he's been more productive than ever the last few. Just unbelievable what he's been able to do on those fragile feet.

Plus I'm part Lithuanian. :cheers:
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:40 am

Z for sure.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:52 am

Mo Williams...
"If I sell a lil' crack, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I die in Iraq, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I take you fo granted, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I f- up the planet, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it"

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:22 am

I like all the usual suspects, Z, Delonte, etc. but went with Mo because of where he's taken us.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Cease » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:37 am

Z versus Redz for me. Both are a comperable level of "greatness" at their respective positions, so my decision is based on my off the court perception of both.

Almost went with Redz due to his standing up personal challenges this season. He's a man I can respect.

But, my heart goes out to Z and I want him more than any others to succeed. Z's dealt with more off the court than anyone ever should have to.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Guest » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Varejo is the only guy I don't like.
Mo is a beast and is the key addition to us winning it all this year.

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

As much as I like just about everyone on this team, I've got to go with Big Z. Next to St. Bernard himself, no Cleveland athlete we've grown up with in the last 20-25 years has embodied this city more- the immigrant, down but not out, fiercely loyal, self-effacing, never gives up, never backs down. "Class" is an over-used word when it comes to sports figures, but Z really is pure class all the way. I might be able to keep it together for the most part when this team wins it all, but I'll tell ya, when the big fella lifts that Larry O'Brien Trophy above his head, I think I'll be veklempt.

But I like the others too:

Mo = For his talent, his cool demeanor, and how he's not afraid to wave off LeBron and take over at winning time.

Delonte = He's a mench, totally unselfish, will do whatever needs to be done to win, and he's a character with character.

Ben = For his muscle and his leadership. He may not be the defensive juggernaut of old, but he gives us that rough edge a championship team needs. Funny how Kevin Garnett may try to intimidate and bully other teams, but you don't see him pull that BS with the Cavaliers. I think Ben is a big reason why.

Boobie = I still think this young man is going to hit at least one big shot for us when we absolutely need it. And like Rich said, that Game 6 display will live on forever.

Wally = He might be a cheeseball, but his enthusiasm, his constant hand-and-butt-slapping is enfectious, and for all the talk about what a pain-in-the-ass he was in Minnesota, he's done everything he's been asked with a miminium of complaining and a maximum of effort.

Sasha = I know a lot of you don't like him, but he does play solid defense, and his "I can't hear you" with The Vince Carter in the '07 Playoffs will always hold a fond place in my fan's heart. I like how he doesn't take shit from anyone; I respect that in a player.

The Kinsey Report = He looked like an absolute scrub the first two months of the season, but when guys in front of him got hurt and he was called upon to play important minutes, this guy was ready- and he played well. Like LeBron says, a true professional.

Andy = We need him, he provides energy and annoyance, and the chicks love him, but he isn't my favorite. I remember that spin move on Tim Duncan a little too vividly.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby brooks1957 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 pm

With unending apologies to Mo Williams, I voted for Brother Red.

Mo's contributions have been fantastic this year. He takes so much offensive pressure off LeBron it's not funny. I agree with Dr Poove about how much of a cold blooded assassin Mo can be on any given night. That being said, we know this team is at its best when it's playing lockdown defense. I was blown away by how much easier the baskets became when Delonte stepped back into the lineup, and starting raising hell on the defensive end. That's why I had to give it up for Delonte.
brooks1957

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Based just on their playing styles, it's got to be Mo; he is the only other guy on the team I feel can get his shot whenever he wants.

But based on character, team effort, defense, etc....I voted for Redz. He just plays 110% every minute, does his job wherever he needs to, plays inspired D, and is a quote machine.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby CP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:06 pm

I've never really taken to Sasha. Just don't like his inconsistency in terms of effort. Boobie would be in this category too if it wasn't for the leeway he generated during the Detroit series, but the farther we get from that series, the less leeway he has. Sasha had some political capital for the Nets series as already pointed out (and that didn't mention his amazing block on Kidd) but he ran out of that during his holdout and subsquent crap play when he came back.

And I still haven't forgiven Andy for not giving the ball back to LeBron in the closing seconds of Game 3 of the Finals. I was there, on that end of the arena, and honestly felt I was almost close enough to run onto the court and knock the ball from his hands into LeBron's. I am not over that yet and won't be unless and until Andy is part of a Cavaliers team that wins it all. His holdout and sub-par play when he returned did not help him.

It will be a crime if Z's jersey is not retired during the next season after he retires. Wallace brings energy every night and you have to respect that. Also as mentioned, the fear factor he brings is props-worthy. West's intensity and demeanor make it so you can't help but like the guy. On the fence about Wally. Like him but he's just too "Donyell" for me some games.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:59 pm

I'll state my take here:

Dig Joe Smith, thought he was the most underrated player in the trade last year. Glad to see him back. I think he'll done wonders.

Brother Red is the man..He's like..the embodiment of this team, an Overachiever, smart and defensive minded.

Mo is starting to become a personal fav. just because he seems to be one of the major pieces this team has been lacking for years.

Big Ben is like the teams badass guardian angel, so is Z to a point and I do 2nd that his number should be his retired.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby The Cutthroat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:As much as I like just about everyone on this team, I've got to go with Big Z. Next to St. Bernard himself, no Cleveland athlete we've grown up with in the last 20-25 years has embodied this city more- the immigrant, down but not out, fiercely loyal, self-effacing, never gives up, never backs down. "Class" is an over-used word when it comes to sports figures, but Z really is pure class all the way. I might be able to keep it together for the most part when this team wins it all, but I'll tell ya, when the big fella lifts that Larry O'Brien Trophy above his head, I think I'll be veklempt.

+1 in a big way.

After all the shit Z has been through on and off the court, I've never rooted harder for someone to get a championship. The enduring image in my mind from the '07 run was LBJ making a beeline and climbing Mount Z, was awesome to see the superstar pay respect to the stalwart. Hopefully that image can take a backseat in a few months.
The Cutthroat

Favorite Player: Those with heart
Least Favorite Player: Those who quit

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:50 am

The Cutthroat wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:As much as I like just about everyone on this team, I've got to go with Big Z. Next to St. Bernard himself, no Cleveland athlete we've grown up with in the last 20-25 years has embodied this city more- the immigrant, down but not out, fiercely loyal, self-effacing, never gives up, never backs down. "Class" is an over-used word when it comes to sports figures, but Z really is pure class all the way. I might be able to keep it together for the most part when this team wins it all, but I'll tell ya, when the big fella lifts that Larry O'Brien Trophy above his head, I think I'll be veklempt.

+1 in a big way.

After all the shit Z has been through on and off the court, I've never rooted harder for someone to get a championship. The enduring image in my mind from the '07 run was LBJ making a beeline and climbing Mount Z, was awesome to see the superstar pay respect to the stalwart. Hopefully that image can take a backseat in a few months.

+2, Put his jersey in the rafters....class act
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby Juannieboy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 am

Man, I was surprised there were other votes besides mine for Andy. I think he's alot more valuable to the team than he gets credit for and even though his outside shot usually is ill-timed and stinks, he makes big blocks and takes charges. Just the kind of player a championship team needs!

Besides, the fans of other teams absolutely despise him! That's a good enough endorsement for me.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Juannieboy wrote:Man, I was surprised there were other votes besides mine for Andy. I think he's alot more valuable to the team than he gets credit for and even though his outside shot usually is ill-timed and stinks, he makes big blocks and takes charges. Just the kind of player a championship team needs!

Besides, the fans of other teams absolutely despise him! That's a good enough endorsement for me.

Old Forums I used to be on (Van Halen site), I remember had a whole thread devoted to the site and The Pissed-on fans there HATED AV, and called us "The Flopaliers"

AV is a flopper, but I love him for it. :group:

Triple-S

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA