Text Size

The 19th Hole

Question for you golfers?

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Question for you golfers?

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:12 pm

My friend had a hole in one this past week, first one and he is jacked. Who wouldn't be, right, but we all know it is all about luck mostly with a hole in one.

My question is mainly for us higher handicaps, like 5 and higher. I assume most people at this handicap or higher have never shot par on a course.

So would you rather shoot par, if it is something you've never done, or shoot an ace?

IMO I think I would rather shoot par, the reason being it is a better sign of playing good golf and not about one lucky shot than any schmuck teeing off with a 5 wood on a 145yd par 3 could get.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:07 am

The hole in one. It's a day, a moment in any golfers life that they will never forget. I've never had one. Never seen one live from playing partners. I refuse to die until I get a hole in one and see a Cleveland team win a title.

Kind of a loaded question though. I'd rather be skilled enough to shoot even par, even if it meant never getting an ace. It's like asking me if I'd rather bed Scarlett Johannson or get to skip on all the yard work this weekend. The latter is legitimately attainable, and still great.

I've had runs where I've played 6-7 holes in a row even par, have a couple 38s to my name ... but I just can't sustain it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:44 am

I see what you are saying, I myself have a couple 39's to my name and cannot seem to get any better than that.

Which is why I would prefer shooting par even just once. Shooting par to me would really motivate me more than the ace, and I have said to my friends for years that if I do get a hole in one I may walk away from the game period....you know while I'm on top.

BTW that is what my friend did to get his ace, 5 wood on a 145-150yd par 3, just goes to show how luck plays its part. I hit my 5 wood 225 sometimes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:56 am

I'm with FUDU on this. I'd rather play well enough to be a scratch golfer or within sight of scratch. The hole in one, while a moment, doesn't separate me from any other luck box.

Like being asked whether I'd rather have a royal flush in WSOP play or make the final table. Give me the sustained success.

Now truth be told, I'd probably need to ace all the par threes on the course to get to par. The hole in one, rare as it is, is more likely than 18 at par for me.

Not to mention I don't feel the need for everyone in the clubhouse to drink on me. :lol:
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby DarNoor » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:05 am

I have broken par a numerous amount of times. But, i have never had a hole-in-one. Funny thing is, the closest i ever came was on a par 4. I put it about 6 inches from the cup. So, i would like to have a hole-in-one before i hang the clubs up.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby CTownPride » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:33 pm

I have seen two hole-in-ones in person. In one case, I was standing on the following tee box when it landed on the green and went in. In the other case, it was a playing partner in a scramble.

As per the norm, the guy hadn't done shit all day. Through 16 holes, we had probably used 2-3 of his shots, at best. Then, on 17, he drains it. The best part is that there were two groups in front of us, so there were 11 witnesses. Also, we had a bet going with both of those groups. Without the hole in one, we don't win the bet or the tourney. So, in that case, it was pretty exciting.

I also think I would like to be a scratch golfer, but the more I think about it, the more I believe I would still find something to be mad about in each round. I'm not sure how much my attitude would change as I have a tendency to focus on the bad shots. Still, breaking par one day would be pretty special. Same thing with a hole in one.

Oh... the hole in one always leads to a fair amount of drinking, so that might take the cake.
CTownPride

Unread postby furls » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:56 pm

I double eagled a par 5 at Quicksands in San Angelo, Texas. Was a great moment and typical of my life as a golfer, a miraculous shot followed by chasing the next three in the woods.

I holed out from 240 with a three iron from the light rough. My partner and I did not know it was in until we could not find it in on the green or in the greenside bunker behind the hole. He checked the cup on a whim and found my ball.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:09 am

I have been close to both feats, but never accomplished either (for 18 holes, I have shot par while playing a round of 9). Twice I've missed putts on the 18th that would've given me an Even round. Personally, I think that I would rather shoot par for 18, although I think your peers would be more excited by the hole-in-one. I also think the hole-in-one would be a better story. Nobody wants to hear about all 18 holes of a good round, but a 45-second story about the ballflight toward and into the cup is short and sweet, but still exciting. Another thing that makes the hole-in-one exciting is that ANYONE can do it ANYTIME they step up on a par 3. There's a chance we could be THE BEST player on that hole for the day, even if there's little chance that we're going to shoot the best total score on the course for the day. 95%+ of people know they won't be shooting par when they arrive on the 1st tee.

I have a few buddies who are pretty good at golf and so I've seen a bunch of rounds of par in my time. But I've never seen a hole-in-one. When somebody makes a hole-in-one, I imagine everyone throws their hands up in the air and screams. When someone shoots par, we just shake their hand and tell them they played well that day.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Stu » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:02 pm

i was even after 6 today and was really in the zone.

then i was 10 over on holes 7-12, mainly due to a triple bogey on a ridiculous hole (you can read about it in my review sometime in the next few days).

+1 on 13-18

crazy round today.

but what i was realizing during those first 6 holes is that shooting par would mean being on top of your game for 4 solid hours. a hole in one is a one time event, almost a fluke. i'd rather shoot par.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Re: Question for you golfers?

Unread postby rock67 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:16 pm

I have been lucky enough to get 2 hole in one's. I have also shot under par twice. 70 on a par 71. The other time was a 71 on a par 72 track. Hole in one's are great to watch go in, providing you can see the hole. But i felt much more excitement when i finished playing 18 holes of golf, with a 1 under par score. There is something about shooting even par in a game that is so darn hard to play !!!!!
rock67

Favorite Player: Lebron
Least Favorite Player: Paul Pierce

Re:

Unread postby idoctribefan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:37 pm

Stu wrote:i was even after 6 today and was really in the zone.

then i was 10 over on holes 7-12, mainly due to a triple bogey on a ridiculous hole (you can read about it in my review sometime in the next few days).

+1 on 13-18

crazy round today.

but what i was realizing during those first 6 holes is that shooting par would mean being on top of your game for 4 solid hours. a hole in one is a one time event, almost a fluke. i'd rather shoot par.

I would love to be out golfing. Will probably be cold again by my next day off work (monday).
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: Question for you golfers?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:29 pm

still too chilly to fully enjoy myself on the course. Im going to get some practice in next week because my golf league is starting in a few weeks. If it stings after i hit the ball, then its too early to get back out there.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Return to The 19th Hole