Text Size

No Holds Barred

Work out tips

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Work out tips

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 am

I recently started working out (I'm woefully out of shape, but surprisingly not all that fat). Anyone have any workout tips that aren't really mainstream, but that worked for you? Or any bits of advice would be greatly appreciated.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: Work out tips

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:49 am

1. Set goals. Doesn't matter what they are, just make sure you have something to work towards.

2. Exercise when you feel like shit (hung over, sick, tired)

3. If you're trying to lose weight, no soda or food after 8pm. Eat 4 times a day.

4. Don't waste money on a personal trainer, unless you're a real lazy bastard. Go to the gym and watch what the trainers are doing with people.

5. Don't waste money at GNC unless you can religiously get to the gym 4 times a week
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:45 am

1 Create a set schedule and follow it.
2. Record your results so you're able to track goals and mark progress
3. Change your diet, may want to increase your protien.
4. Use good from
5. Careful of your joints, especially your knees and shoulders
6. Work your legs – they’re your biggest muscles and working them helps add muscle elsewhere
7. I’ve heard chocolate milk is a good post work out drink, the nutrient mix is supposed to be good. Google it and check it out for yourself.
8. Dumb bells are good for range of motion and working smaller stabilizing muscles. Use them for a couple of sets to help boost your bench press
9. Warm up and stretch
OpusTPenguin

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:53 am

work out 3-4 times a week, try and have a day where you work out followed by a rest day or a day where you just go for a 45 minute walk or swimming to allow your body to recover.

go for a run AFTER you have done weight training, press ups, sit ups etc
It's always more beneficial to your fitness to run when you're tired from already exercising, you're pushing yourself harder and developing stamina.

If you want to lose weight, remember you burn just as many calories running for an hour as you do walking for an hour, so don't pressure yourself to go for a jog everyday, mix in a nice brisk walk on occasions.

do develop good abdominal muscles, after completing say 4 sets of 50 sit ups, do 3 sets of 30 but with at least a 2.5kg (5lb ish) weight held tight to your chest.

After you've been going for runs for a while, add some weights to a backpack and run with that, especially up hill and down hills. Again wonderful for stamina and endurance and for your leg muscles.

ankle weights are only good for walking in my opinion as I have never found an ankle weight product that stays on comfortably while running.

Also after every week of training add a couple more reps to each of your sets. Then after 6 weeks add a whole set to your work out.
Circuit training is the best way to get fit.
where you do say a set of press ups, then a set of sit ups, then tricep dips, dorsal raises, step ups and pull ups. and then do the whole thing again starting back at press ups.

I have some of my Army training schedules still and I could devise a less intense form of those for you.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby DrPoove » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:13 am

Good tips from the previous gentlemen. My $0.02...

If you are starting weight training I would start slow, 3 days a week, and concentrate on one area each day: chest, shoulders, legs. Do 30 minutes of cardio after the lifting. Always do weight training before cardio, never vice versa. Leave yourself a day between lifting since you are a newbie. On the days between lifting do 30-60 minutes of cardio. Always give yourself 1 day off a week as well. So you would have a schedule of lift, cardio, lift, cardio, lift, cardio, off day.

Choose 6-8 exercises for each day that you feel comfortable with that focus on the areas above. Change your sets/reps weekly to keep your body off balance, it will adapt and reduce effectiveness if you always so the same amounts of sets/reps. I recommend 3/10, 2/12, 3/8, 2/15 and just keep mixing them up. It's also good to switch up how you to the exercises. One week do bench with a barbell, next will dumbbells, next on a machine. Once again keep it fresh.

Whoever said focus on form is spot on especially if you are a beginner. Don't worry if on some of the sets you only get 9 reps when you are trying for 10 it's fine. Your strength will come on gradually.

It's always tougher to go back the next day so try not to give yourself an easy out. Make yourself go even if you fall a few reps or minutes short.

Stay positive. You are a male so you are not going to see dramatic weight fluctuations like a woman will. Plus with weight training your fat will convert to muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. So you may be reducing your body fat but you may increase your weight. Judge by how you feel and how your clothes fit. You should weight yourself, but only do it once a month. Once again as a guy, this is frequent enough to see how you are doing.

Any questions just ask.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:39 am

Start reading. There is a ton of misinformation out there.

Establish your goals. what are they?

What is your current routine? Make sure you find a professionally developed routine (not from a bodybuilding magazine).

Do not workout like a bodybuilder (i.e. body part split routines). Find a routine that is a total body compound movement workout.

Do not worry about what other people are doing while you are working out, focus on yourself

Focus on form not the amount of weight on the bar
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

OpusTPenguin wrote:7. I’ve heard chocolate milk is a good post work out drink, the nutrient mix is supposed to be good. Google it and check it out for yourself.

Chocolate milk is used as a post workout drink in athletes trained by Coach Robert Dos Remedios. Remedios is a renowned college strength and conditioning coach in college.

Chocloate milk works great after a workout and is pretty simple to find. You want to keep things as easy as possible when you are first working out
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 am

MacGregor78 wrote:
OpusTPenguin wrote:7. I’ve heard chocolate milk is a good post work out drink, the nutrient mix is supposed to be good. Google it and check it out for yourself.

Chocolate milk is used as a post workout drink in athletes trained by Coach Robert Dos Remedios. Remedios is a renowned college strength and conditioning coach in college.

Chocloate milk works great after a workout and is pretty simple to find. You want to keep things as easy as possible when you are first working out

You know what else is great for the post-workout.... HGH.

Too soon? :bag:
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:20 am

Multiply your current water intake by 4. I've seen the 8x8 rule (64 ozs total) as a popular bench mark, but personally found it not enough.

Depending on where you exercise, there may be classes available. Take them all at least once. I've found the cardio-weight classes to be good, the one at my gym is called body pump. Spinning is also a good class, but a pain in the ass, literally.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby DrPoove » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Multiply your current water intake by 4. I've seen the 8x8 rule (64 ozs total) as a popular bench mark, but personally found it not enough.

Great point. Don't get dehydrated. I've been told at least a gallon a day for a normal guy and 1.5 gallons for someone who has an athletic build or is taller/wider than the average guy. Bottom line, drink.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:34 am

Lot of good tips here but lets get some more info from Stewie.

What are your goals? Are you training for anything specific or just to get in better shape? What is your definition of getting in better shape (some people think it is muscles, some think it is being able to run a marathon)?

What does your daily eating look like?
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks guys! Great advice.

My goal is just to get in shape. I'm not training for a marathon, I don't want to lose X amount of pounds, I don't want to be big enough to wrestle down an adult grizzly bear or anything like that. I just want to look better, and feel better.

I've done some reading, and I started myself on a 4-day a week plan (Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) where I do heavy cardio on an exercise bike (I hate running and I know I wouldn't keep up with that, at least not while I'm first starting out) for about 45 minutes on Mondays and Fridays, and then on Wednesdays and Sundays I do weight training, plus about 25 minutes of the exercise bike. I do stretch (before and after the workout) and I've been drinking a ton of water, taking vitamins, that kind of stuff.

My eating habits are fairly normal, although someone suggested eating 4 times a day whereas now I eat 3...sometimes 2 if I miss breakfast (I know, I really shouldn't miss it). I'm thinking of making a smoothie (real fruit, non-fat yogurt) every morning I exercise. Good idea, or no?

I've been on my routine for 2 weeks now, so I guess my first goal is to get myself to the point where I really want to stay on it and don't have to force myself to go to the gym. But, I do feel much better than I did...I've noticed my stamina get better (I've added more resistance to the bike program, and more reps to the weight program already), and my mood is great. I can sit down for an hour and relax in front of the TV without feeling guilty now. It's been a positive change already for me, I just need to keep with it.

If I start getting tired of the bike, should I try other things, like the elliptical or the step machine?
StewieG

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:14 pm

What does your weight routine look like?

I think the way you have mapped out your routine is fine. Your 4 day a week schedule will work well. A beginner can see great results from lifting weights twice a week.

A fruit smoothie before your workout would be fine but not always necessary depending on when you workout as compared to the last time you eat. Make sure you are eating/drinking something with carbs and protein after your workouts.

Are you a skinny guy looking to get in shape or a bigger guy looking to get in shape? how old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:19 pm

StewieG wrote:Thanks guys! Great advice.

My goal is just to get in shape. I'm not training for a marathon, I don't want to lose X amount of pounds, I don't want to be big enough to wrestle down an adult grizzly bear or anything like that. I just want to look better, and feel better.

I've done some reading, and I started myself on a 4-day a week plan (Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays) where I do heavy cardio on an exercise bike (I hate running and I know I wouldn't keep up with that, at least not while I'm first starting out) for about 45 minutes on Mondays and Fridays, and then on Wednesdays and Sundays I do weight training, plus about 25 minutes of the exercise bike. I do stretch (before and after the workout) and I've been drinking a ton of water, taking vitamins, that kind of stuff.

My eating habits are fairly normal, although someone suggested eating 4 times a day whereas now I eat 3...sometimes 2 if I miss breakfast (I know, I really shouldn't miss it). I'm thinking of making a smoothie (real fruit, non-fat yogurt) every morning I exercise. Good idea, or no?

I've been on my routine for 2 weeks now, so I guess my first goal is to get myself to the point where I really want to stay on it and don't have to force myself to go to the gym. But, I do feel much better than I did...I've noticed my stamina get better (I've added more resistance to the bike program, and more reps to the weight program already), and my mood is great. I can sit down for an hour and relax in front of the TV without feeling guilty now. It's been a positive change already for me, I just need to keep with it.

If I start getting tired of the bike, should I try other things, like the elliptical or the step machine?

It's important to be physically fit, grizzly bears can attack at any time

3 meals is fine for your situation. Should you want to add muscle, or cut fat, 4 is better

Expect to have to force yourself for a while. It's a habit and it takes time to get into a pattern.

Do as many different things as you can to keep your attention, when you get bored, you'll quit going.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:28 pm

MacGregor78 wrote:What does your weight routine look like?

I think the way you have mapped out your routine is fine. Your 4 day a week schedule will work well. A beginner can see great results from lifting weights twice a week.

A fruit smoothie before your workout would be fine but not always necessary depending on when you workout as compared to the last time you eat. Make sure you are eating/drinking something with carbs and protein after your workouts.

Are you a skinny guy looking to get in shape or a bigger guy looking to get in shape? how old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?

Right now my weight routine is 1 set, 12 reps at a weight where 12 is the maximum number of reps I can do. Different weight for different muscle groups, obviously. I try to hit all of the major muscle groups each time. Next week I was going to see if I could get it to 14 reps, but would I be better off going with 2 sets of 10 reps?

I'm a bigger guy looking to get in shape, but I never let myself get huge. I suppose I ate well enough so that didn't happen. I'm about 5'7, 180 (where most of the weight is fat...as I've said before, I'm not in shape). I guess flabby would be the word to describe my body type. Not obese, but way, way too flabby. I'm 27 years old.
StewieG

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 pm

StewieG wrote:
MacGregor78 wrote:What does your weight routine look like?

Right now my weight routine is 1 set, 12 reps at a weight where 12 is the maximum number of reps I can do. Different weight for different muscle groups, obviously. I try to hit all of the major muscle groups each time. Next week I was going to see if I could get it to 14 reps, but would I be better off going with 2 sets of 10 reps?

I'm a bigger guy looking to get in shape, but I never let myself get huge. I suppose I ate well enough so that didn't happen. I'm about 5'7, 180 (where most of the weight is fat...as I've said before, I'm not in shape). I guess flabby would be the word to describe my body type. Not obese, but way, way too flabby. I'm 27 years old.

OKay...thanks for clearing some of this up. Definitely keep your cardio how you have it as long as you are enjoying it. Make sure you are pushing yourself while you are doing it though.

Your weight routine could use some adjusting. What major muscle groups are you aiming for? I have a feeling that you need to establish a base of strength, as all new lifters do. Don't waste your time with small muscle groups right now (arms usually being the main culprit here). You can get a great workout doing the following: Squat, Bench Press, Chin up/pull up and some people will add a deadlift to this (although this can be an intimidating move with beginners). 3 sets of 8 reps per set per exercise. The squat will hit your quads, hamstrings, glutes, abs, back and shoulders. Bench Press will hit your chest, shoulders and triceps and a pull up/chin up will hit your back and biceps.

Do this routine twice a week and you will see very good results. remember to focus on form over weight
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:19 pm

Some good info here, and I'll preface my comments by saying that as you read and research, don't concentrate on the programs that people are trying to sell you, look into the programs that it is imperative for the instructor to get results, not sales. For example, the collegiate/professional sports programs are going to be accurate. A collegiate team that needs to get weight off of, and add strength to a lineman - well, they don't care so much about him as their investment. They ain't wasting time with bullshit a doughy cat like Richard Simmons is. Same with programs like"The Biggest Loser" Those trainers need results for them more than the participants.

With this in mind there are a few things universal in these programs that are very beneficial;

1. Using interval training in cardio gives you FAR greater results than doing cardio at the same pace. If you took your 40 minute bike session and cut it to 20 with intervals, you'll get better results than if you took it out to 90. Pick 4 levels, for example, level 1=easy warm-up level 2=slight pick up in pace, level 3= brisk pace level 4=busting ass. One minute at each level, alternating for the 20 minutes 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4.
What this does is vary your heart rate. Varying your heart rate gets you results from cardio, far greater results than a gradual increase.

2. You should be eating every 2-3 hours. If you wanna get your metabolism stoked, you gotta feed the fire. If you are eating 2-3 times a day your metabolism is standing still. Also, the whole "Don't eat after 7" deal, well is you stay up till midnight, and haven't eaten since 7, you are carrrrying a dead metabolism right to sleep for seven/eight more hours. By eating every the 2-3 hours your metbolism is reving, including thru your sleep hours. If your lifting weights, much of your muscle growth occurs during sleep. If your metabolism is stoked at this time, you'll burn fat snoozing. Obviously a huge benefit - and the reason ther is a big push for female dieters to hit the weights. Also, from a nutrition standpoint, eat carbs with a protein as a meal. The Adkins diet is great if you wanna look good in 6 weeks. If you want to stay in shape and healthy forever, it's nonsense. There's a reason general dieters or Adkins people gain all the weight back and more after they stop - because they've spent weeks making their bodies inefficient machines. Carbs are fuel, you need them to keep the engine reving (especially when working out/cardio). Go weeks without enough carbs and you're going to bog down your engine, than, when you start to eat all of it stores as fat. I mean think about it, a diet in which you can eat 4 pounds of sausage every day is going to make you healthy? O.k.

Again, there is a reason virtually every athlete across all sports in 2009 is doing interval cardio and eating several small meals a day - because it works. Some guy selling you an ab roller isn't helping anyone.

By the way. No matter what routing you use to lift, if you wanna shed some excess fat, no more than 1 minute rest between sets.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm

MacGregor78 wrote: remember to focus on form over weight

If you've never lifted before, work the machines for a while first. They will isolate muscle groups to build strength with lower risk of injury. I'd stay away from the squat rack and dead lifts until you get the hang of the weights. You can still do the exercises using dumb bells, without risking serious injury (incorrect form for both lifts can be very bad).
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:2. You should be eating every 2-3 hours. If you wanna get your metabolism stoked, you gotta feed the fire. If you are eating 2-3 times a day your metabolism is standing still. Also, the whole "Don't eat after 7" deal, well is you stay up till midnight, and haven't eaten since 7, you are carrrrying a dead metabolism right to sleep for seven/eight more hours. By eating every the 2-3 hours your metbolism is reving, including thru your sleep hours. If your lifting weights, much of your muscle growth occurs during sleep. If your metabolism is stoked at this time, you'll burn fat snoozing. Obviously a huge benefit - and the reason ther is a big push for female dieters to hit the weights. Also, from a nutrition standpoint, eat carbs with a protein as a meal. The Adkins diet is great if you wanna look good in 6 weeks. If you want to stay in shape and healthy forever, it's nonsense. There's a reason general dieters or Adkins people gain all the weight back and more after they stop - because they've spent weeks making their bodies inefficient machines. Carbs are fuel, you need them to keep the engine reving (especially when working out/cardio). Go weeks without enough carbs and you're going to bog down your engine, than, when you start to eat all of it stores as fat. I mean think about it, a diet in which you can eat 4 pounds of sausage every day is going to make you healthy? O.k.

Again, there is a reason virtually every athlete across all sports in 2009 is doing interval cardio and eating several small meals a day - because it works. Some guy selling you an ab roller isn't helping anyone.

By the way. No matter what routing you use to lift, if you wanna shed some excess fat, no more than 1 minute rest between sets.

Atkins is much too extreme as a high fat, low carb diet, but something like the TNT diet is not a bad option at all. TNT focuses on limiting your refined carbs in a day. As time goes on we are learning more about the dangers of REFINED carbs. These would be crap like bleached flour, sugar, white bread, etc. All this stuff does is spike your insulin levels and and decrease your insulin sensitivity. The only time you want an insulin level spike is right after a workout. More and more research is tying REFINED carbs to diabetes, heart disease, etc.

There are good carbs and bad carbs, just like there are good fats and bad fats
Last edited by MacGregor78 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:39 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
MacGregor78 wrote: remember to focus on form over weight

If you've never lifted before, work the machines for a while first. They will isolate muscle groups to build strength with lower risk of injury. I'd stay away from the squat rack and dead lifts until you get the hang of the weights. You can still do the exercises using dumb bells, without risking serious injury (incorrect form for both lifts can be very bad).

Sorry, I have to completely disagree here. Mahcines are fixed to a range of motion regardless of your body type. They negate every stabilizer muscle in your body. You will be building muscle while sacrificing the CNS function of your body. You are training the muscle only, not the system that works the muscles in your body and keeps them working as a unit.

A bodyweight squat is a great exercise and offers basically zero risk of injury. Get your form down using your bodyweight and then move onto a load (be it a barbell or a dumbbell). Injuries will occur when you try and add weight when you don't have your form down.

Now, a deadlift is an exercise that is best taught by a trainer. A deadlift can definitely hurt your back if not performed properly.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:50 pm

MacGregor78 wrote:
A bodyweight squat is a great exercise and offers basically zero risk of injury. Get your form down using your bodyweight and then move onto a load (be it a barbell or a dumbbell). Injuries will occur when you try and add weight when you don't have your form down.

Here is our point of contention. I just didn't want our boy Stewie to jump into the squat rack as a newbie, load on some plates, and bust a nut. Bodyweight squats are certainly fine, but that qualifier wasn't in your previous post.

Pull ups, lunges and dips are also excellent body weight exercises that can build strength fast.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
MacGregor78 wrote:

Here is our point of contention. I just didn't want our boy Stewie to jump into the squat rack as a newbie, load on some plates, and bust a nut. Bodyweight squats are certainly fine, but that qualifier wasn't in your previous post.

Ha! I completely agree. I guess I made the assumption he would start with his bodyweight first. You may even need a bench behind you when you first learn a squat. Try and touch your butt to the bench before you start coming back up.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby 216 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:05 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:1. Set goals. Doesn't matter what they are, just make sure you have something to work towards.

2. Exercise when you feel like shit (hung over, sick, tired)

3. If you're trying to lose weight, no soda or food after 8pm. Eat 4 times a day.

4. Don't waste money on a personal trainer, unless you're a real lazy bastard. Go to the gym and watch what the trainers are doing with people.

5. Don't waste money at GNC unless you can religiously get to the gym 4 times a week

Great advice

The only one that had me scratching my head is working out while hung over or sick.
I cant find the motivation to do that, is there a advantage to this method?

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 pm

A little more background info on what I'm doing:

First, the place I'm going to is my college's rec center (YSU). It's very new, and the equipment seems to be good (not that I have anything to compare it to). I'm probably going to pay the $18 to have a one-time personal training session, so I get a professional opinion on how my form is very soon. Like, next week.

On the weights: I've been using the machines only for a couple reasons: number one, my left (non-dominant) arm is much weaker than my right arm. So I wanted to try to build up some strength in my left arm before I attempted to do free weights, because the weights would probably end up lopsided (lol) and I'd end up injuring myself. The second reason is I simply don't know the correct form when using free weights, which is why I'm going to pay for the personal trainer there.

On the cardio: I did see somewhere that is was a good thing to do intervals. I think it said something like a 4 minute warm-up, 3 minute pace where you're pushing yourself, but not too much, 1 minute pace where you're really pushing yourself with resistance and speed, back to the previous 3 minute, back to the heavy 1 minute...and so on, ending with another 4-minute cooldown period, which ended up being around 23 or 25 minutes...something like that. Would that be better than doing a brisk, constant, 45 minute pace? Because if it is I'd honestly prefer doing that simply because my ass really starts to get sore after about 30 minutes on the bike.

On my diet: Ok, I'm the kind of person that likes to stay up until about 1am, and get up around 9. More smaller meals then are preferable to 2 or 3 bigger meals, I understand that...I'll probably try to change my eating habits (although the days I work it's difficult to get more than 2 meals in before 6pm...breakfast, and break, which occurs around 2pm). But something like a meal at 10am, 1 pm, 5 pm, and 9 pm would be better? I used to eat a lot more white bread, but now I do things like stop at Subway before class and get a footlong and baked chips on wheat off of their fresh fit menu. Occasionally I go for a tuna sub, but that's because I like tuna and am not ready to completely give that up even though it's not on the low-fat menu. Are these things good for me, bad, or not really an issue?

Again, thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.
StewieG

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Dude, keep eating the tuna, it's great for you. Just hold the mayo.

And if you interval on the bike, twenty minutes 3 times a week, will give you larger benefits than 4 times a week at 40. Work hard for the twenty and your done.

10-1-3-5-7-9 on the meals would be best. Just sneak in the couple extra with a quick little nutritional snack. If you're doing the weights and the bike you'll rev the hell out of your metabolism by not going more than 3 hours between meals.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Ok, here's a question:

Is there any inherent benefit from working out at one time over another? Like, is it better to work out at 9am instead of 9pm? Or does it not really matter either way?
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:41 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Dude, keep eating the tuna, it's great for you. Just hold the mayo.

And if you interval on the bike, twenty minutes 3 times a week, will give you larger benefits than 4 times a week at 40. Work hard for the twenty and your done.

10-1-3-5-7-9 on the meals would be best. Just sneak in the couple extra with a quick little nutritional snack. If you're doing the weights and the bike you'll rev the hell out of your metabolism by not going more than 3 hours between meals.

Thanks. I don't get any mayo or cheese on my Tuna sandwich, just lettuce, pickles, and banana peppers.

I'll see if I can sneak fruit, or wheat thins, or something like that into work.
StewieG

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Man, thanks for starting this thread, Stewie.

I, too, am out of shape, but not fat at all. Thanks to my godly metabolism.

I figure that if I had been exercising since, say, high school... I'd probably have a Bruce Lee physique by now... or at least close to it. LOL.

The only exercise I really get is playing basketball and tennis. And I don't do much of either during the winter time.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm

Two words: Perfect Pushup
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Guest » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:10 pm

As far as the time question:
I used to run a lot or work out at night because of my old work schedule. It totally f-ed up my ability to sleep.
Now I run/ride my bike at 6am and it gives me a lot more energy.

I have hardly ever lifted weights on a regular basis and hate it, I do however love the perfect push-ups.
I'm a cardio person, not a weight lifter.

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:32 pm

BDFD wrote:Two words: Perfect Pushup

Two more: Iron Gym
OpusTPenguin

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Not necessarily the appropriate forum but while we are on the topic, anyone want to buy a BowFlex? My mom has one (circa 2002 model) she wants to get rid of. The thing was hardly ever used and is in mint condition from what I remember. It also has the leg attachment and the pull-down bar thing.

I have no idea how much she wants for it but I know it's not much...
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm

StewieG wrote:Ok, here's a question:

Is there any inherent benefit from working out at one time over another? Like, is it better to work out at 9am instead of 9pm? Or does it not really matter either way?

I've read your testosterone levels are highest in the morning, so it would seem to benefit to work out early. That being said, I've never personally seen any gains from lifting early as opposed to later. I have found it beneficial to exercise after being stressed out. In college it was after a shitty class like organic chemistry or vertebrate zoology. Now, it's after work. I would say choose a time that is easiest for you (before your 1st class, or before you eat dinner) to do every day. It'll become like brushing your teeth after a few months.

Exercising when you feel like shit will: 1. make you feel better faster (best cold medicine ever) 2. punishment for drinking too much (it will also let you kick the hangover faster). You don't want to start making excuses as to why you don't have to run, it only gets easier after the first time.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Since all of the actual workout tips have pretty much been covered, if at all possible, don't shower at the gym.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 pm

or dry your testicles with the hair dryer.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby DrPoove » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Also you will run into one random old naked guy in the locker room who doesn't believe in the use of a "courtesy towel" because he's old and dammit he's earned the right not to use one.

Do NOT pass out as he will give you CPR... in the nude... in front of everyone.

You have been warned.
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:32 pm

StewieG wrote:Ok, here's a question:

If you're looking to trim the fat, mornings are best. Reason being what you burn in the morning workout will be from mostly body fat - your stomach is relatively empty. If you work out in the evening you will burn a portion of what you ate that day, instead of existing body fat.

I will say this, at first you're going to think morning workouts/cardio blow, but if you catch stride with a morning routine for awhile you'll have three things going for you 1. The above mentioned efficiency 2. You'll feel better all day long and 3. You'll go thru the rest of the day knowing you're aleady DONE.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby 216 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:01 pm

DrPoove wrote:Also you will run into one random old naked guy in the locker room who doesn't believe in the use of a "courtesy towel" because he's old and dammit he's earned the right not to use one.

Do NOT pass out as he will give you CPR... in the nude... in front of everyone.

You have been warned.

:lmfao:
That is sooooo true so far every gym I have been to I have seen this.

Whats even worse is when they try to have a conversation with you!
They should make some kind of man law against that

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:09 pm

I believe these old men can be referenced as "Dr. Boudreux's" as per Tom Tolbert's old story back in the old school late 90s Jim Rome show days, the creepy old guy. You will encounter at least 3-5 a day, either next to you in the locker, or shaving in flip flops. Who shaves at the gym anyway??? Are they really just trying to save on their water bill? Cheap old fucks, ha ha.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:46 pm

BDFD wrote:Not necessarily the appropriate forum but while we are on the topic, anyone want to buy a BowFlex? My mom has one (circa 2002 model) she wants to get rid of. The thing was hardly ever used and is in mint condition from what I remember. It also has the leg attachment and the pull-down bar thing.

I have no idea how much she wants for it but I know it's not much...

I would be if I weren't dirt poor. Wanted to bump this in case anyone else is looking for one and didn't happen to see it posted above.

Bill the Butcher wrote:Man, thanks for starting this thread, Stewie.

I, too, am out of shape, but not fat at all. Thanks to my godly metabolism.

I figure that if I had been exercising since, say, high school... I'd probably have a Bruce Lee physique by now... or at least close to it. LOL.

The only exercise I really get is playing basketball and tennis. And I don't do much of either during the winter time.

No problem. I hope other people are getting as much out of this thread as I am.

As an aside, did another workout before my night class. I tried to use some of the suggestions in here. I did the weights before the cardio (I had always done cardio first). I built up a sweat MUCH quicker on the bike that way. I liked the results! And also I tried using intervals instead of a straight ride. Not only was I done quicker, I felt great! I'm going to re-read this thread and try to come up with more things to implement in my routine.

Once again, thank you all for the great suggestions, stories, and quips. Everything is very much appreciated.
StewieG

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:24 am

You can try cardio on an empty stomach right when you wake up...there have been studies that show this helps you burn fat and there have also been studies that show this to be detrimental (due to the fact that your body has a serious energy need in the morning due to 8 hours of fasting).

I work out at 5:30 every morning. I wake up and eat some type of simple carb and protein (like a protein shake with skim milk and whey protein), just to get something in my system since I lift weights in the morning and I need an energy boost to do that.

I always have a hard time falling asleep if I workout at night. Plus, working out in the morning gives me more energy throughout the day.
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:31 am

StewieG wrote:On the weights: I've been using the machines only for a couple reasons: number one, my left (non-dominant) arm is much weaker than my right arm. So I wanted to try to build up some strength in my left arm before I attempted to do free weights, because the weights would probably end up lopsided (lol) and I'd end up injuring myself. The second reason is I simply don't know the correct form when using free weights, which is why I'm going to pay for the personal trainer there.

Unfortunately, even though they look very unimposing, machines are the enemy. A machine is not going to help your arm strength differences. A machine will allow your dominant arm to control the movement while your weaker arm just comes along for the ride. A strength imbalance like this is very common. I believe ERIE WARRIOR alreadt suggested this, but you should definitely look into working out with dumbbells. This will make both fo your arms work equally as hard as each other and correct your strength imbalance. Doing a bench press, shoulder press, and bent over dumbbell row will really help your left side catch up to your right side.

Glad to see you are going to pay for the personla trainer session. The trainer should at least be able to show you some basics. A word of warning though, it is not hard to become a trainer, and just like any other profession there are some that are great and some that are terrible. Make sure you ask more questions after you see the trainer. There seems to be plenty of guys on here that know what they are talking about
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 am

Here's some more info on the chocolate milk:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu ... supplement

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am

check out this forum for some workout advice for beginners. Go the 'essential reading' section of any of the forum sections for some really good articles.

http://forums.menshealth.com/eve
MacGregor

MacGregor78

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Stewie...

Just checking in to see how the workout routine is going for you. If your routine is not working for you or you seem to not be getting the results you want, I would suggest the P90X workout. I played football and baseball in high school and college, and was always used to some sort of organized/structured workout routine. Ever since college, I have slowly gotten heavier (+100 from playing weight), and lazier mostly due to this lack of structure. I would work out from time to time, but never something organized with any goals. If I was tired, I would not work out. Well, over the long run, tired wins out more times then not.

P90X is a very well structured/goal oriented routine with a different workout each day. It is definitely a ball buster, so if you are just looking for some light cardio this is not for you. But if you want to burn the fat, and work up a great sweat each day while feeling the burn. Check it out. You can get the DVD's for around $60-75 on Ebay. I started 2 weeks ago, and have already dropped 20 lbs, and feel much better, and can see my body already begin to re-shape.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby 216 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Lubber wrote:Stewie...

Just checking in to see how the workout routine is going for you. If your routine is not working for you or you seem to not be getting the results you want, I would suggest the P90X workout. I played football and baseball in high school and college, and was always used to some sort of organized/structured workout routine. Ever since college, I have slowly gotten heavier (+100 from playing weight), and lazier mostly due to this lack of structure. I would work out from time to time, but never something organized with any goals. If I was tired, I would not work out. Well, over the long run, tired wins out more times then not.

P90X is a very well structured/goal oriented routine with a different workout each day. It is definitely a ball buster, so if you are just looking for some light cardio this is not for you. But if you want to burn the fat, and work up a great sweat each day while feeling the burn. Check it out. You can get the DVD's for around $60-75 on Ebay. I started 2 weeks ago, and have already dropped 20 lbs, and feel much better, and can see my body already begin to re-shape.

Wow 20 pounds gone already!!! Thats great! I am also doing P90X Im on phase two.
I have lost about 20 pounds as well. It is a great workout plan.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Cardio Cardio Cardio.

My wife and I try to run 2 miles 3-4 days a week. I lift on the weekends, nothing too crazy just enough keep tone. Since it's been warmer lately, i've lost most of the extra weight I put on over the winter....Fucking holidays.. The food is sooooo tasty.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Yeah I'm still on it. Slowly but surely. It's the last week of the semester this week, and finals next week though, so I'll probably not do as well as I have been over the next couple weeks.

The P90X though...do you need any equipment for it, or is it just the DVD?
StewieG

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:37 pm

It's already been said, but I'll add my vote for dumbbells. Cast iron dumbbells at Walmart are dirt cheap, and you can work out with them while watching television. I like to do alternating sets on each arm of curls and shoulder presses with them.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:06 pm

StewieG wrote:Yeah I'm still on it. Slowly but surely. It's the last week of the semester this week, and finals next week though, so I'll probably not do as well as I have been over the next couple weeks.

The P90X though...do you need any equipment for it, or is it just the DVD?

Of course their website tries to sell you everything (all resistance bands, dumbbells, chin up bar, yoga blocks, push up bars, etc)

I already had a few sets of dumbbells . But if you do not have those, all you really need is a resistance band. I use that is place of the chin up bar, since I could only do a few chin ups anyways right now. I get a much better workout from the resistance bands. I also purchased the push up bars ($25) as you get a deeper push up.

If you are going to try it out, my advice would be to get the DVD's and a resistance band. See how you like the routine, and then if you get into it, you can advance from there with dumbbells, push up bar, etc

PS... they also have a diet plan to follow, but all I have been doing in place of that is eating 3-4 meals a day, no beer, lots of water, and trying to keep my calories around 2000 for the day.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Next

Return to No Holds Barred