Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Miller out...

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Miller out...

Unread postby nwizzle » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090228&content_id=3897618&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

It doesn't sound too serious...yet. I'm just not liking the fact that he's feeling soreness in that finger. He's been back awhile so I would have thought that there should be no soreness... unless it means more problems.

Can't things just go right for Miller one year?
nwizzle

Re: Miller out...

Unread postby Chris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Oh well. We all hoped he'd stay healthy but, the odds were against it.
Chris

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:50 pm

The guys an injury waiting for a good time to happen....... :roll :roll:

I've almost forgotten his name....
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby tired » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Hope it's not serious. I've been wanting to see him come of age.
Going blind, out of reach, somewhere in the vasoline.
tired

Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:14 pm

tired wrote:Hope it's not serious. I've been wanting to see him come of age.

Just copy and paste this to save yourself some keystrokes in the future.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby CDAV6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:30 am

I love the optimism around here. It is a minor injury and it is way early in camp. If you feel yourselves going into a deep depression think of Josh Beckett. He probably had more injury issues than Miller and I would like to think all of us would like to have Josh in our rotation. Adam has a power arm and most pitchers with this God given talent are more apt to injuries especially when they are young and have inconsistancies in their deliveries. So here's hoping for the best because if he is healthy he gives us the best backend duo in all of baseball imo.
CDAV6

Favorite Player: grady sizemore
Least Favorite Player: david dellucci

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:34 am

Since when has soreness been considered an injury?

I get that when it comes to guys like Wood/Miller that anything that crops up is a red flag....but I am not too concerned with this yet. He's pitching a lot after being off a few months and not throwing since mid-November in the Dominican Republic, and I think it is expected that some soreness would result.

Something to monitor though.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:07 am

Consigliere wrote:Since when has soreness been considered an injury?

I get that when it comes to guys like Wood/Miller that anything that crops up is a red flag....but I am not too concerned with this yet.

Ask Beanie Wells when soreness became injury.

Look, no one is getting over excited about Miller's soreness. Know why?

1. Because it ain't a big deal yet.
2. Because he's always fucking sore or hurt.

Sorry you don't like it CDav but it is what it is. My expectations of this kid have nothing to do with performance and everything to do with what will be hurt next and when. I have no idea why I feel that way about Adam Miller though. Not like he has nothing but a history.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby slegend » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 am

Ask Beanie Wells when soreness became injury.

:thumb up:

I think you can add "shoe not tied" "forgot a wrist band" etc. to what Beanie considers an injury...

Back to "Miller Time" -- who cares about a has been prospect that is now a relief pitcher, at best, when this team needs a #3, #4, #5 starter to emerge from a pile of "young" players?

Get Miller some HGH, roids, and set of balls and tell him to play with some pain...
slegend
Attention Whore

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:40 am

slegend wrote:Back to "Miller Time" -- who cares about a has been prospect that is now a relief pitcher, at best, when this team needs a #3, #4, #5 starter to emerge from a pile of "young" players?

Get Miller some HGH, roids, and set of balls and tell him to play with some pain...

I didn't realize Slegend was Bud Kilmer from Varsity Blues!
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta at SS
Least Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta at SS

Unread postby G-Strang » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:08 pm

KnightWhoSaysGIH wrote:
slegend wrote:Back to "Miller Time" -- who cares about a has been prospect that is now a relief pitcher, at best, when this team needs a #3, #4, #5 starter to emerge from a pile of "young" players?

I didn't realize Slegend was Bud Kilmer from Varsity Blues!

this is ridiculous miller really is a fuckin pussy
G-Strang

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Barfield/Marte/Looch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:04 pm

Soreness is always considered an injury to a guy who has been a constant injury for years.

At least Mujica's not getting that 7th spot.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby CDAV6 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm going out on a limb and saying Miller solidifies our bullpen this year(and could be more successful than Wood) and moves back into the rotation within 2 years. You can rub it in my face if I am wrong. Miller has been injured the last 2 years. Prior to that he was a top ten prospect in all of baseball. I believe he is 23 or 24 years old and hardly a wash. I'm just trying to balance out the universe here. You can't have all negativity or the earth would spin off its axis. There must be equal ying and yang!
CDAV6

Favorite Player: grady sizemore
Least Favorite Player: david dellucci

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:31 pm

CDAV6 wrote:I'm going out on a limb and saying Miller solidifies our bullpen this year(and could be more successful than Wood) and moves back into the rotation within 2 years. You can rub it in my face if I am wrong. Miller has been injured the last 2 years. Prior to that he was a top ten prospect in all of baseball. I believe he is 23 or 24 years old and hardly a wash. I'm just trying to balance out the universe here. You can't have all negativity or the earth would spin off its axis. There must be equal ying and yang!

Not a person here who doesn't want the same thing and/or more. Just gets frustrating watching this kid unable to get/stay healthy. Not saying it's his fault but it is what it is.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby ArtGold » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Miller is starting to make Rich Harden look reliable and durable.
ArtGold

Unread postby Eckersley » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Adam Miller Harden ever got hurt Prior to the past 5 years. :hide:
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 pm

The Adam Miller finger saga continues, and it's drastically going to affect his ability to compete for a bullpen spot.

Miller will be shut down another week to 10 days because of soreness in his right middle finger, head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff said. After that period, Miller will begin an expedited return-to-throw program that will last about two weeks. The tentative goal is to get him in about four to six Cactus League games after that point.

Hard to imagine the Indians would see enough of Miller or be confident enough in his finger to bring him north at that point, but you never know.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives ... r_upd.html
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Adam Miller continues unabated in his quest to supplant Courtney Brown as the biggest pussy in the history of Cleveland sports.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Adam Miller continues unabated in his quest to supplant Courtney Brown as the biggest pussy in the history of Cleveland sports.

Which begs the question, when will someone bitch about the Indians not unloading him before he lost all value. And that will spur the thread "How'd Get Rid of Miller" on the off chance he goes 6 1/3 innings for the Marlins in September of 2013.

You know both threads are coming and there's a strong chance the same poster will start them both.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Adam Miller continues unabated in his quest to supplant Courtney Brown as the biggest pussy in the history of Cleveland sports.

Which begs the question, when will someone bitch about the Indians not unloading him before he lost all value. And that will spur the thread "How'd Get Rid of Miller" on the off chance he goes 6 1/3 innings for the Marlins in September of 2013.

You know both threads are coming and there's a strong chance the same poster will start them both.

Actually, I was expecting:

- Stu to reply flabbergasted that anyone could possibly consider Adam Miller to be injury-prone;

- Wisconsin Tribe Fan to demand a link proving that Adam Miller is a pussy

- Jen to replay with her trademark "Sigh!"

- Lubber to come back with a kneejerk defense of the Steelers, unmindful of the topic of the thread.

But you might be right, Peek.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby hornet84 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:01 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

- Stu to reply flabbergasted that anyone could possibly consider Adam Miller to be injury-prone;

- Lubber to come back with a kneejerk defense of the Steelers, unmindful of the topic of the thread.

It is all Wedgie's fault. He has never given the kid a chance to prove himself at the big league level. Miller would be healthy if was with the big club and pitching regularly.

That one was for Alex. I miss you man ! :cheers:
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby nwizzle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm

hornet84 wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

It is all Wedgie's fault. He has never given the kid a chance to prove himself at the big league level. Miller would be healthy if was with the big club and pitching regularly.

That one was for Alex. I miss you man ! :cheers:

As much as reading his posts absolutely pissed me off I actually miss him too. His irrelevant and inane comments brought a bit of laughter to my day.

As for Miller... I had hope that he would turn the corner this year, I really did. Now it just hurts that I now have to officially expect to get nothing from him. It's depressing to think about how much he could mean to this team and we will probably never get to see it.
nwizzle

Unread postby IronMike » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:34 pm

More baby powder please.

The old timers would pitch through an injury like this.

Miller seems to be second coming of Steve Hargan.

This one is for you Tito Francona.
Sooner or later REALITY must take over the situation ... and it finally did!
IronMike

Favorite Player: Astrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: N/A

Unread postby hornet84 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Pitchers with torn tendons in their fingers just need to man up and pitch :dead: The middle finger on your pitching hand has no bearing on your effectiveness whatsoever. Just cut off the finger and play ball !!
hornet84
Big Mon

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 pm

6 1/3 innings in one game, a season, or for his career?

My bad, you did say in September of 2013, so I guess that could be one game or one month, but the bottom line is I don't see this guy ever consistently giving us alot of innings at whatever bullpen spot he might be one day.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't think I would go that far. Outside of this finger injury, Miller has really been healthy his entire career except for an 6 week shutdown 4 years ago for elbow soreness. Other than that, he has been physically fine except for this lingering finger issue. All the problems stem from this finger issue which cropped up two years ago. It is the same injury and apparently it is just not healing right or may not be correctable. I can see if he was coming up with different injuries daily, but it is the same injury.

Sure, end of the day he is not out there.....but is someone really a pussy if there is some non-correctable issue? It's not something he could pitch through or any guy back in the day could pitch through either (back in the day, his career would have already been over).

This is an unfortunate setback for him and the Indians.
consigliere

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:58 pm

A sore finger? I'm giving the kid the benefit of the doubt that if he could go he would, but I think a sore finger warrants being called a pussy and or his manhood questioned, at least when it's been dragging on for a couple seasons now. Maybe it does make it hard to throw or hurts just enough to throw things off but when we read sore finger, ones mind tends to think, are you fucking kidding?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:15 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:A sore finger? I'm giving the kid the benefit of the doubt that if he could go he would, but I think a sore finger warrants being called a pussy and or his manhood questioned, at least when it's been dragging on for a couple seasons now. Maybe it does make it hard to throw or hurts just enough to throw things off but when we read sore finger, ones mind tends to think, are you fucking kidding?

Do you have any clue WHY he has a sore finger? It's not like he just woke up a la Juan Gonazalez one day with a sore finger or hang nail.
consigliere

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:20 pm

I would hope it would be from trying to pitch/rehab, was he overworked in winter ball? I'm not really concerned with why to be honest, not really sure that even matters unless he was sticking it in places he shouldn't have been.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby Bigfist » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Consigliere wrote:

I don't think I would go that far. Outside of this finger injury, Miller has really been healthy his entire career except for an 6 week shutdown 4 years ago for elbow soreness. Other than that, he has been physically fine except for this lingering finger issue. All the problems stem from this finger issue which cropped up two years ago. It is the same injury and apparently it is just not healing right or may not be correctable. I can see if he was coming up with different injuries daily, but it is the same injury.

Sure, end of the day he is not out there.....but is someone really a pussy if there is some non-correctable issue? It's not something he could pitch through or any guy back in the day could pitch through either (back in the day, his career would have already been over).

Tony....I will grant that your knowledge and recollection of Miller's history is no doubt better than mine, but I seemed to remember him missing most of a lot of seasons. I checked thebaseballcube.com, and here is what I came up with:

2003 at Burlington...Miller pitched in 10 games, 32.2 innings. Since that is Rookie League, I understand that.

2004 at Kinston....Miller pitched in 8 games, 43.1 innings. I can't remember the details, but it certainly sounds like he was on the DL for a large portion of that season.

2005..at Mahoning Valley and Kinston...pitched in 15 games, 70.1 innings. I think this is the year he had some elbow issues..shut down for a while, then went to Mahoning Valley when the season started, then to Kinston.

2006...at Akron and Buffalo...pitched in 27 games, 158.1 innings. Looks like that was a healthy season.

2007...at Buffalo...pitched in 19 games (11 as a starter), 65.1 innings. Obviously was hurt a good portion of that season.

2008...at Buffalo...6 games, 28.2 innings.

So...in six seasons, I really only see 2 where he was healthy. I would love to see him make the Tribe's bullpen this year, but frankly, I think if we get anything out of him it will be icing on the cake.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Bigfist wrote:
Consigliere wrote:

Tony....I will grant that your knowledge and recollection of Miller's history is no doubt better than mine, but I seemed to remember him missing most of a lot of seasons. I checked thebaseballcube.com, and here is what I came up with:

2003 at Burlington...Miller pitched in 10 games, 32.2 innings. Since that is Rookie League, I understand that.

2004 at Kinston....Miller pitched in 8 games, 43.1 innings. I can't remember the details, but it certainly sounds like he was on the DL for a large portion of that season.

2005..at Mahoning Valley and Kinston...pitched in 15 games, 70.1 innings. I think this is the year he had some elbow issues..shut down for a while, then went to Mahoning Valley when the season started, then to Kinston.

2006...at Akron and Buffalo...pitched in 27 games, 158.1 innings. Looks like that was a healthy season.

2007...at Buffalo...pitched in 19 games (11 as a starter), 65.1 innings. Obviously was hurt a good portion of that season.

2008...at Buffalo...6 games, 28.2 innings.

So...in six seasons, I really only see 2 where he was healthy. I would love to see him make the Tribe's bullpen this year, but frankly, I think if we get anything out of him it will be icing on the cake.

In 2003 it was his draft year and only a short season for an 18-year old so he was limited with his innings. Baseball Cube is missing his 19 starts and 100 innings at Lake County in 2004. 2005 is the year I mentioned in the above post he was shutdown at the end of spring training for 6 weeks because of the elbow issue and then returned in June. 2006 he was healthy. Then in 2007 the finger injury cropped up.

His first four years from 2003-2006 he was just sidelined for that one stretch out of spring training 2005. It's just really been this damned finger that has cost him what may be his career.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:57 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:I would hope it would be from trying to pitch/rehab, was he overworked in winter ball? I'm not really concerned with why to be honest, not really sure that even matters unless he was sticking it in places he shouldn't have been.

Well, the reason he has soreness in the finger is because it is the same finger he has had numerous surgeries on the past two years because of a defective ligament he needed transplanted and also because it had a huge hole in it the result of two callouses creating a gap in the skin. When they opened it up they found it was a lot worse then they thought as the tendons in the finger were starting to fray and that the pulley system in the finger was not working properly, so they had reconstructive surgery on it. You should see the finger, it was completely split open from fingertip to knuckle and stitched back up to fix the issue. Looks awful.

It's a rare, fluke injury and apparently it is going to be hard to rely on him going forward. but I take exception to the notion it is "just soreness" or the guy is a "pussy" cause his finger hurts. Like I said, it is not like he wakes up with a different body part sore everyday or there is no reason behind why he is hurt.....it is the same injury that keeps cropping up and is one they keep trying to fix to no avail.
consigliere

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for the report, I guess the media shouldn't say sore finger then when it sounds much more involved than that. And from what you say, that doesn't sound very promising at all.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:02 am

Anyone who thinks the middle finger has no bearing on ones ability to pitch, has never pitched.

It is probably the most important portion of the hand. In most cases, it is the last thing to touch the ball on release.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Eckersley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:57 am

It's a shame that this kid can't stay healthy. He's 1 of the very few Mirabelli draft picks to actually have talent.

Miller is still young enough to have an impact on the Tribe some day. I'm still holding out hope.
Maybe late 09 or 2010.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:35 am

Eckersley wrote:It's a shame that this kid can't stay healthy. He's 1 of the very few Mirabelli draft picks to actually have talent.

Miller is still young enough to have an impact on the Tribe some day. I'm still holding out hope.
Maybe late 09 or 2010.

Well, you know the old saying Eck:

You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.

I agree with what Castrovince said on the show last night: Write him off in your heads. Consider anything you get from the kid at this point all gravy. Castro said the club was hoping for the kid to win the 7th spot. Not any more. He also said Salas has a very live arm and is a likely benefactor from Miller's injury.

Time will tell.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 am

Pup wrote:Anyone who thinks the middle finger has no bearing on ones ability to pitch, has never pitched.

It is probably the most important portion of the hand. In most cases, it is the last thing to touch the ball on release.

Ronny Lott his ass, and he can learn to use his index finger. :lmfao:
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby nwizzle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 pm

The Indians have two other open jobs -- the last bullpen spot and the last bench spot. The bullpen job was Adam Miller's for the taking, but the oft-injured prospect is currently shut down with right middle finger soreness that will basically eliminate him from competition. Miller could see action before the end of camp, but by then, it will probably be too late for him to win a job.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090309&content_id=3953932&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

I'm not seeing the logic here. No one that the Indians have is going to be better than Miller could be, so if he gets healthy by the regular season, and is able to pitch, why not put him on the parent club and let him rip? I don't see the point of holding him back in AAA any longer.
nwizzle

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:38 pm

nwizzle wrote:... so if he gets healthy by the regular season, and is able to pitch, why not put him on the parent club and let him rip? I don't see the point of holding him back in AAA any longer.

Healthy != ready.

He might get a few innings in ... but not enough to actually prepare for Opening Day. The other thing is, you barely need a fifth starter in April, much less a 7th bullpen arm. I'd be more comfortable with him getting at least 15 solid outings under his belt, which he won't get in the spring from what it sounds like. That means they come in Columbus.

I'm not concerned that there's anything sinister going on here.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Chris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 pm

Consigliere wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:I would hope it would be from trying to pitch/rehab, was he overworked in winter ball? I'm not really concerned with why to be honest, not really sure that even matters unless he was sticking it in places he shouldn't have been.

Well, the reason he has soreness in the finger is because it is the same finger he has had numerous surgeries on the past two years because of a defective ligament he needed transplanted and also because it had a huge hole in it the result of two callouses creating a gap in the skin. When they opened it up they found it was a lot worse then they thought as the tendons in the finger were starting to fray and that the pulley system in the finger was not working properly, so they had reconstructive surgery on it. You should see the finger, it was completely split open from fingertip to knuckle and stitched back up to fix the issue. Looks awful.

It's a rare, fluke injury and apparently it is going to be hard to rely on him going forward. but I take exception to the notion it is "just soreness" or the guy is a "pussy" cause his finger hurts. Like I said, it is not like he wakes up with a different body part sore everyday or there is no reason behind why he is hurt.....it is the same injury that keeps cropping up and is one they keep trying to fix to no avail.

Top prospect, with game changing talent and...we'll probably never get to really use him.

Only in Cleveland.
Chris

Unread postby Destiny » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Castro's Blog Seems to me that the baseball gods are saying not right now at the rate Adam Miller is going. Check out a snip of what is written right now at the Blog, for more click the link, or wait until Indians.com has the full story...

Here's the latest update: The good news is that the finger is not giving him any pain; the bad news is that he can't bend the finger at the distal interphalangeal joint -- the joint near the end of the finger, below the nail.

It goes on to say that he will have a hand specialist looking at it on Monday in Scottsdale and the team specialist on Tuesday.
The longer I live the more I believe. You do have to give if you wanna recieve
There's a time to listen, a time to talk, And you might have to crawl even after you walk
Had sure things blow up in my face, Seen the longshot, win the race
Been knocked down by the slamming door, Picked myself up and came back for more

Life's a dance you learn as you go, Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go.
Destiny

Favorite Player: Tribe
Least Favorite Player: Yankees/Red Sox

Unread postby hornet84 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Nice try. Let's try again in 2010. Maybe he can throw nothing but circle changes
hornet84
Big Mon

Unread postby CharacterIV » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:16 pm

hornet84 wrote:Nice try. Let's try again in 2010. Maybe he can throw nothing but circle changes

It worked for Doug Jones. Why not?
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Indignation
Least Favorite Player: "Brands"

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:47 pm

well we already got Wood, Pavano, and Miller. we mine as well go and get Mark Prior, Mike Hampton, and throw in Jaret Wright for good measure :hide:
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Adam Miller should now just be referred to as a minor leaguer, not a prospect.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby Chris » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:11 pm

This guy will never contribute at a major league level. Never.
Chris

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Chris wrote:Top prospect, with game changing talent and...we'll probably never get to really use him.

Only in Cleveland.

And every other team that has ever drafted a player.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby IronMike » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Character IV ... agree on the Doug Jones comment. Posted many times the Indians should bring him into camp every spring and work with the pitching staff. Instead we get Sean Casey. Doug Jones was phenomenal late in his career after spending many seasons in the minor leagues. What a great change up he had, delivered at three different speeds.

Also, the comment about Bob Wickman having the tip of his finger cut off was a good one. It seems to many of us, Miller is just north of being called an official "cake eater."

We are all questioning Miller's toughness, I only HOPE all of these issues are serious and not minor in nature.

Interesting comments from Dick Pole then Dusty Baker's pitching coach with the Cubs ... can't quote him, but he did tell two of my friends privately in the dugout who were locker room guests of Baker and both long time Indians fans that both Kerry Wood and Mark Prior lacked toughness too. They should have been able to pitch through many of their ailments.

In a passing comment, Dick Pole did say Albert Belle was a SOB but the most focused athlete he ever saw.
Sooner or later REALITY must take over the situation ... and it finally did!
IronMike

Favorite Player: Astrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: N/A

Unread postby OSU819903 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Iron Mike, Can we really judge a pitcher's toughness is today's baseball? Especially one that has been has highly touted (and b/c of that highly guarded). I'm just saying that I do not believe the Indians would even let Miller pitch through pain right now, even if he wanted to.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:36 pm

As Wisc alludes to, pitchers get hurt every year. A LOT of pitchers.

It's common.

The only difference here is it's a top prospect in the organization - and even this happens often.

It has little to do with toughness. During a violent process, something tweaks, you lose some MPH and/or action and you're not the same guy.

A young pitcher is about the worst gamble of any position in any major sport.

History show us this.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB