Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Celtics to get Starbury

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Celtics to get Starbury

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:52 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... index.html

Off the bench, he could be a real threat against the second team. I joked earlier this season that I'd have rather gotten Starbury than Vince Carter, but seeing him go to Boston for the minimum (presumably) can't help us.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Celtics to get Starbury

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Here's hoping he's Dickbury and destroys chemistry on that team.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby buckeye319 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:10 pm

The basketball gods will not look kindly upon this. Thou shalt not employ Starbury.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Between this and Mikki it's starting to look a lot like desparation from the Celts...
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 pm

Starbury is the kiss of death. But so is Mo Williams guaranteeing a title with Screamin A Smith today.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby jordan kramer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 pm

i see all these Celtics moves as them just being scared shitless of the Cavs in a 7-game series. so i guess these moves can be seen as a good thing. if i'm Mike Brown i'm preaching this in the locker room
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:20 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Starbury is the kiss of death. But so is Mo Williams guaranteeing a title with Screamin A Smith today.

What is the proper answer when Screamin' puts you on the spot and just straight up asks you if you are going to win it all and whether you will beat the Celts. Screamin' is a douchebag
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm

man you can fuck yourself screamin A
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby ProgRocker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 am

Am I supposed to be scared of the Celtics adding a cancer to their clubhouse?
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:14 am

Last year it was Sam Cassell and PJ Brown.

This year its Stepped-on Marbury and Mikki Moore.

That says everything.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby CP » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:18 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Last year it was Sam Cassell and PJ Brown.

That says everything.

What's the 2010 version going to look like?

Lucious Harris and Michael Doleac?
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:29 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Last year it was Sam Cassell and PJ Brown.

That says everything.

I'm not sure what that says.

Cassell was so bad against us he almost cost them the series. He was horrible in the playoffs last year. Starberry would have to try to be that bad (I am not saying he won't try though).

Naturally Doc kept rewarding Cassell's suck with minutes against us as well, it took him until after us to realize that his team was better with Cassell not playing.

Low risk high reward type move.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 am

So with Shitbury and Mikki Moore are they done? Can they offer anything to Joe Smith if he is released? I am not quite sure how the MLE works in these situations.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:39 am

I haven't seen any details on what was offered to Moore or Starberry.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I'm not sure what that says.

Yeah, the gas tank was on E Cassell by the time Boston got to us, but him 'n Brown were the consummate professionals who brought veteran intangibility as they gravy trained for a ring. Brown especially bit us hard in that last game.

Marbury and Moore? They don't fit the mold nearly as much. Hell, it reeks of Chanel Desperation #5. Reading between those lines and adding in KG's buddy Joe Smith telling the press he's happy playing for The Franchise That Shall Not Be Named, I get the impression that the gravy train isn't stopping at the Garden this year.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Toxicadam » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:24 am

We get home court = We win. End of conversation .. it doesn't matter who they add.
Toxicadam

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:32 am

noles1 wrote:Between this and Mikki it's starting to look a lot like desparation from the Celts...

Desperation? It's call attempting to shore up weaknesses. The Celtics have no other true point guard besides Rondo and with Garnett out, they need another "big" to get some minutes although it's been fun for Ralph Malph (Scalabrine) to get into games again. As Peeker said in another thread, if the Cavaliers picked up one of these available guys, he would be heralded as a conquering hero upon his arrival into town.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 am

fundamentals wrote:
noles1 wrote:Between this and Mikki it's starting to look a lot like desparation from the Celts...

Desperation? It's call attempting to shore up weaknesses. The Celtics have no other true point guard besides Rondo and with Garnett out, they need another "big" to get some minutes although it's been fun for Ralph Malph (Scalabrine) to get into games again. As Peeker said in another thread, if the Cavaliers picked up one of these available guys, he would be heralded as a conquering hero upon his arrival into town.

Frankly that's horse shit no matter who said it.. If the Cavs picked up Mikki Moore i'm fairly confident I would be saying when is that freakin stiff going to play. And Marbury? Hahaha. Yeah right, we'd all be drooling over that loser...
"If I sell a lil' crack, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I die in Iraq, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I take you fo granted, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it...

If I f- up the planet, aint nuthin to it, gangsta rap made me do it"

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Least Favorite Player: Kendrick Perkins

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:57 am

Hopefully starbury will do for the Celts what AI did for the Pistons.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 am

fundamentals wrote:

You do know they picked up a guy that hasn't played in ages and was up and down when he did. This notion that because Marbury hasn't played he suddenly figured out how to is ridiculous.

Zebra can't change his stripes.

As for Moore, I won't waste a whole helluva a lot of time on him but he was effective for one season and more appropriately about 4 weeks. Parlayed into a big deal just like Jerome James and countless others. Maybe he can channel that stretch of basketball again when they play us but I wouldn't bet on it.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

so if starbury was signed by the cavs would you be saying cancer. or a talent that can be rikindled with the right style or coaching..... just wondering, i'd say a little of both

this guy was good once
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:39 am

osucrazy18 wrote:so if starbury was signed by the cavs would you be saying cancer. or a talent that can be rikindled with the right style or coaching..... just wondering, i'd say a little of both

this guy was good once

The guy hasn't played all season and he sucks 50% of the time when he does play. Plus LeBron James bascially called him out for being an asshat and said he would never want a guy like him on the team.

Noles1 has it right on with his take. +1 on Noles1 take.

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:55 am

I am not saying the guy doesn't have issues, but as Mr. Hollinger points out, Starbury is needed by Boston for a number of reasons:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... ury-090224
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:07 pm

fundamentals wrote:

You and Peeks are spot on.

If Starbury had signed with us there would be a lot of posts saying completely the opposite and how being on a contender in a reduced role could benefit him and yadda yadda yadda. But, since he signed elsewhere, he is a cancer and will doom that team. Hey, it's how we as fans rationalize things to always work in our team's favor.;-)

Anyway, I don't see how this Starbury signing can hurt the Celtics. It is not like they are relying on him to come in and be a starter and huge contributer. He will play in a reduced role, and as a bench player that is a significant upgrade to have coming off your bench.

It boils down to this, which I think ESPN's Chris Broussard said last night: If Marbury can come in and play well and take to the reduced role, it will help repair his reputation and get him a good sized contract this offseason. If he comes in and has a problem adjusting to his role or is a cancer, he is done in the NBA and will have to go to Europe to play. There is a lot riding on his career these next four months that will help him either get another contract or not, and for that I think he won't be a problem with the Celtics. Now, whether he "fits" and performs is another thing. We'll see.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Cease » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:19 pm

I just hope he takes Eddie House's minutes, who is one of the most efficient off the bench scorers in the league.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Consigliere wrote: If Marbury can come in and play well and take to the reduced role, it will help repair his reputation and get him a good sized contract this offseason. If he comes in and has a problem adjusting to his role or is a cancer, he is done in the NBA and will have to go to Europe to play. There is a lot riding on his career these next four months that will help him either get another contract or not, and for that I think he won't be a problem with the Celtics. Now, whether he "fits" and performs is another thing. We'll see.

Certainly makes sense to sensible people, but we are talking about a guy with a star tatooed to his head, are we not? Not the first time Marbury has a reason to shut up and perform. Zebra changing its stripes and all that.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Cesa wrote:I just hope he takes Eddie House's minutes, who is one of the most efficient off the bench scorers in the league.

Eddie House does not handle the ball well. If you put him in their second unit with an efficient point guard, he stands to score even more, which is quite scary since the guy can and does fill it up when in the game.

I still think the Cavaliers can beat Boston come post-season time, just making the assessment that even the defending NBA champions are trying to address some needs to gear up for the ninth month playoffs.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby papacass » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Pros for the Celtics:

*Marbury gives them a legitimate PG to run their second team, moving House to SG. Pretty much what was already said.

*He's another scorer that opposing teams will have to concern themselves with stopping.

*With KG and Pierce running the show, it's hard to believe that Marbury will be the chemistry-destroying force that he has been in previous career stops. He'll learn his place instantly and learn to like it, or he'll be gone.

*This might be a more humble Marbury. He hasn't played in a year, and he's had a lot of time to think about where he is, where he is going and what his legacy will be. Marbury might view the Celtics as his last saving grace, and perhaps more than at any time during his career, be willing to do what is asked of him so he can win a ring.

Cons for the Celtics:

*As was said by Oktane, zebras generally don't change their stripes. Marbury is still a score first point guard. Much like Liam Neeson in "Taken," he has a very specific set of skills. If the C's want him to distribute first and enable House to score, they might be barking up the wrong tree.

*Marbury's prime years seemed to end in 2005. He really hasn't been the same player since. It reamins to be seen whether he can be more effective with fewer minutes. But at the end of the day, he's a player who relied on his explosive first step to do most of his damage, and has lost that step. If he's become solely a medium-range chucker, he's going to need shot volume to score his points. He's not going to get a high volume of shots with the Celtics.

*If he can't play D, he can't play against the likes of Mo Williams, Rafer Alston, Delonte West and Mike Bibby come playoff time. Those guys will eat him up with dribble-drives and step-back jumpers. The deeper Boston goes into the playoffs, the more Marbury's effectiveness might be neutralized.

"He hasn't played in a year. There is staying in shape, and there is staying in basketball shape. You really can't stay in basketball shape without playing basketball every day. Doc Rivers might want to keep an oxygen mask by the bench just in case.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:20 pm

Consigliere wrote:
fundamentals wrote:

If Starbury had signed with us there would be a lot of posts saying completely the opposite and how being on a contender in a reduced role could benefit him and yadda yadda yadda. But, since he signed elsewhere, he is a cancer and will doom that team. Hey, it's how we as fans rationalize things to always work in our team's favor.;-)

Anyway, I don't see how this Starbury signing can hurt the Celtics. It is not like they are relying on him to come in and be a starter and huge contributer. He will play in a reduced role, and as a bench player that is a significant upgrade to have coming off your bench.

It boils down to this, which I think ESPN's Chris Broussard said last night: If Marbury can come in and play well and take to the reduced role, it will help repair his reputation and get him a good sized contract this offseason. If he comes in and has a problem adjusting to his role or is a cancer, he is done in the NBA and will have to go to Europe to play. There is a lot riding on his career these next four months that will help him either get another contract or not, and for that I think he won't be a problem with the Celtics. Now, whether he "fits" and performs is another thing. We'll see.

This is a board that was finding excuses to talk down actual ballers like Amar'e Stoudamire and Vince Carter before the trade deadline so the perception that it would blindly homerize this goofball is off base a little. Sure some would look for the good in it. As was pointed out, that's what we as fans do. But I guarantee there would be at least one of us vomiting in his mouth at the thought of that piece of dog shit on his favorite team.

As for this little puss wads affect on the outcome of a playoff series...well he's never positiviley impacted a team before...I find it hard to believe he will now at his age after not playing all season...

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm

jamesownsdet wrote:But I guarantee there would be at least one of us vomiting in his mouth at the thought of that piece of dog shit on his favorite team.

Never know jod. One phenomenal game from Starbury, and someone will suggest he's better than Mo. It's inevitable (the "what they got is better than what we got" attitude, not a phenomenal game from Starbury).
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 pm

jamesownsdet wrote:As for this little puss wads affect on the outcome of a playoff series...well he's never positiviley impacted a team before...I find it hard to believe he will now at his age after not playing all season...

I thought the same thing about Sam Cassell and he along with P.J. Brown helped Boston to win one of those games in the Garden and it still makes me sick. :dead:

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Consigliere wrote: If Marbury can come in and play well and take to the reduced role, it will help repair his reputation and get him a good sized contract this offseason. If he comes in and has a problem adjusting to his role or is a cancer, he is done in the NBA and will have to go to Europe to play. There is a lot riding on his career these next four months that will help him either get another contract or not, and for that I think he won't be a problem with the Celtics. Now, whether he "fits" and performs is another thing. We'll see.

Certainly makes sense to sensible people, but we are talking about a guy with a star tatooed to his head, are we not? Not the first time Marbury has a reason to shut up and perform. Zebra changing its stripes and all that.

My point exactly.

I would never want the Cavs to pick this guy up. First, it's not an upgrade over what we have in my opinion. Second, who is sure this guy is good anymore? Third, if he does happen to perform well, it is in his nature to complain if he isn't getting more. Plus if he takes House's minutes or Allen/Pierce's shots how does that make Boston better?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns
noles1

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:38 pm

fundamentals wrote:
Cesa wrote:I just hope he takes Eddie House's minutes, who is one of the most efficient off the bench scorers in the league.

Eddie House does not handle the ball well. If you put him in their second unit with an efficient point guard, he stands to score even more, which is quite scary since the guy can and does fill it up when in the game.

I still think the Cavaliers can beat Boston come post-season time, just making the assessment that even the defending NBA champions are trying to address some needs to gear up for the ninth month playoffs.

Not when you put a PG in that is "shoot-first", not to mention the utter defensive liability that both in the backcourt present.

Not debating that Boston has backup PG issues but they got around it last year just fine. Throwing someone like Marbury not only seems like an unreasonable risk but it strikes me as desperate.
noles1

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:50 pm

noles1 wrote:Not when you put a PG in that is "shoot-first", not to mention the utter defensive liability that both in the backcourt present.

Not debating that Boston has backup PG issues but they got around it last year just fine. Throwing someone like Marbury not only seems like an unreasonable risk but it strikes me as desperate.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see how it is desperation. Having to use Sam Cassell is desperation. Factor in that they just lost Tony Allen for the remainder of the year and they need somebody to plug into their second unit. Pierce and Allen aren't getting any younger and you can't leave Rondo out there over 40 minutes a night, so they are taking a chance to improve. Marbury is not Steve Nash as a defender either. If he is an idiot, he will be gone quicker than Jawad Williams.

fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Consigliere wrote:
fundamentals wrote:

Count me as one person who WOULD NOT be saying that if Starbury signed here. Guy is a cancer. Ugh.

Definately desperation.
Chris

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:46 pm

fundamentals wrote:I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see how it is desperation. Having to use Sam Cassell is desperation. Factor in that they just lost Tony Allen for the remainder of the year and they need somebody to plug into their second unit. Pierce and Allen aren't getting any younger and you can't leave Rondo out there over 40 minutes a night, so they are taking a chance to improve. Marbury is not Steve Nash as a defender either. If he is an idiot, he will be gone quicker than Jawad Williams.

Part of that was my point in the original post. Marbury on the second unit can be pretty good. I'm not sure of the rules, but I would have loved for the Cavs to sign him, and then cut him March 2 so he couldn't play for anyone else in the playoffs. If he scores in the double digits for the Celtics in even one game against the Cavs in a close, seven game series, Boston will be geniuses for signing him.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 pm

A perfectly healthy Marbury missed 56 games with a halfway decent Knicks team because he didn't get along with D'Antoni. 56 games. He didn't just fail to man up, he only showed up, what, once to watch the Knicks play the Lakers. From the seats. In LA.

Maybe KG and Pierce help him find Jesus (Shuttlesworth), and maybe Eric Snow still has a jump shot. Yeah, the C's are trying to shore up a gaping hole behind Rondo, but if there's addition by subtraction there's also subtraction by addition. Mark me as totally not surprised if Marbury offers up some Grade A Quit if/when the C's backs are against the wall.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am

Celtics lose to the lowly Clips...Hahhahahaha....

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby Chris » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm

They lost to the CLIPPERS? Ouch.
Chris

Starbury Playing for the Celtics

Unread postby drewd » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:57 pm

drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:51 am

noles1 wrote:Not debating that Boston has backup PG issues but they got around it last year just fine. Throwing someone like Marbury not only seems like an unreasonable risk but it strikes me as desperate.

What's the risk? If Marbury is a problem they'll just cut him lose. They went 66-16 last year without him, they were 46-12 this year without him.

I swear, there is more wishful thinking involved with the Celtics than with any other subject on this board. People seem to think that team is just going to fall apart any minute. Guess what- they aren't. Best believe they will be firmly astride our path in late May, and they will be as tough as ever.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby buckeye319 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:57 am

HermanFontenot wrote:
noles1 wrote:Not debating that Boston has backup PG issues but they got around it last year just fine. Throwing someone like Marbury not only seems like an unreasonable risk but it strikes me as desperate.

What's the risk? If Marbury is a problem they'll just cut him lose. They went 66-16 last year without him, they were 46-12 this year without him.

I swear, there is more wishful thinking involved with the Celtics than with any other subject on this board. People seem to think that team is just going to fall apart any minute. Guess what- they aren't. Best believe they will be firmly astride our path in late May, and they will be as tough as ever.

Probably, the Celts have a solid foundation. But there's a basis for the argument with a guy like Starbury. Every team he goes to turns into a mess, and then gets better almost immediately once he's gone. He's a Hall of Famer of pro sports cancers. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Boston goes either way.
buckeye319

Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:08 am

HermanFontenot wrote:

Thank you.

I have been trying to say this for months.

JB ended up calling me lubber.

That said, the Posey loss is huge. I thought Allen would evolve and he may have, but without him they now need Starberry to not be a cock. We will see if it happens.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:25 am

Marbury's stat line from his first game = 4-6 for 8 points, 2 assists, 3 turnovers and the team was -7 while he was in there. I don't hate the guy, I just think he's a piece of crap who quits on his teammates. The Celtics are still going ot be a great team the rest of the season and the Cavs have a big challenge to overcome them. But Marbury is still a little fag no matter what happens..

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 am

HermanFontenot wrote:

Exactly. The insinuation that the Boston Celtics aren't going to be able to handle the situation should it go ary, is wishful thinking at best, probably ludicrious better describes it, when you consider they already have an idead of how the guy is.

Not to mention, Boston, is probably the team BEST able to handle bringing him aboard. The young players are going to pattern themselves off three vets already there, that they just won a championship with, not some tatoo-headed chucker.

I doubt it has much effect, but it ain't going to hurt them.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby noles1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:29 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:

We'll just agree to disagree. My point is that the Marbury thing may not raise its ugly head until Round 2 of the playoffs and by then it will be too late. I don't think they are going to fall apart either, I just think it comes off as desparate and don't see how it helps them find a magical way to stop LeBron.
noles1

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:37 pm

noles1 wrote:We'll just agree to disagree. My point is that the Marbury thing may not raise its ugly head until Round 2 of the playoffs and by then it will be too late. I don't think they are going to fall apart either, I just think it comes off as desparate and don't see how it helps them find a magical way to stop LeBron.

All I'm saying is that Starbury won't make them or break them. And that "desperate" is not a word I would use to describe a defending NBA Champion that has gone 113-29 since the beginning of last year. I just don't see the downside here. If Starbury helps Boston, good for them. If he doesn't help them, oh well, they were maybe the best team in the league without him.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 am

HermanFontenot wrote:
noles1 wrote:We'll just agree to disagree. My point is that the Marbury thing may not raise its ugly head until Round 2 of the playoffs and by then it will be too late. I don't think they are going to fall apart either, I just think it comes off as desparate and don't see how it helps them find a magical way to stop LeBron.

All I'm saying is that Starbury won't make them or break them. And that "desperate" is not a word I would use to describe a defending NBA Champion that has gone 113-29 since the beginning of last year. I just don't see the downside here. If Starbury helps Boston, good for them. If he doesn't help them, oh well, they were maybe the best team in the league without him.

With the injury to Rondo and the Celtics needing Starbury to be more than a low risk high reward guy, guess what? He sucks. Maybe they should have thought of that and tried to pick up an actual baller and not some asshat, never-was.

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby jamesownsdet » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 am

From today's Dime:

Unfortunately, Boston's injury woes go deeper. With key subs Tony Allen and Leon Powe still sidelined, Boston got another underwhelming performance from midseason pickups Mikki Moore and Stephon Marbury. Moore had two points and four fouls, including a major error when he fouled Rashard Lewis on a 3-pointer and gave the struggling Orlando offense three free points in the fourth quarter -- the Magic had only scored 10 points in the previous 10 minutes.

Meanwhile Marbury should be called Farbury given how vast the distance seems between his play now and the player he was a few years ago. He went 0-for-2 with two turnovers; his totals as a Celtic are 28.8 percent shooting from the floor and more turnovers (21) than field goals (17).

- Ice Cube
jamesownsdet

Unread postby onlyindreams » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 am

They have been below average at best, horrible at worst. I'm glad Ainge freaked out and signed them before Joe Smith became available. Mikki had 1 decent season with the Nets and is now a foul machine. Marbury has been bad for a few years now.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA