Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Spring Training Games Thread

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Spring Training Games Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Might as well throw everything all in to one thread as the drudgery that is the Spring Training schedule begins.

Today, the first intrasquad game.

Here are the lineups per Castrovince:

Away: RF Jamey Carroll, 2B Asdrubal Cabrera, SS Jhonny Peralta, LF Ryan Garko, DH Kelly Shoppach, 3B Wes Hodges, CF Michael Brantley, C Chris Gimenez, 1B Jordan Brown. RHP Hector Rondon.

Home: CF Trevor Crowe, 3B Josh Barfield, DH Victor Martinez, 1B Beau Mills, LF Tony Graffanino, RF Stephen Head, 2B Luis Valbuena, C Wyatt Toregas, SS Jesus Merchan. LHP David Huff.

I hope there are some inspiring pictures up after the game of Ryan Garko motoring around LF. I still contend that if Jack Cust can do it, so can Gark.

Carroll and Barfield should have the athleticism to compete at their respective positions for today. For Barfield especially, he has to play well at 3B/SS/OF to make the team. At least two of those three spots IMO.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Spring Training Games Thread

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:LF Tony Graffanino

Not entirely seeing the point of this.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:LF Tony Graffanino

Not entirely seeing the point of this.

My guess is because Choo left for Korea, Francisco, Sizemore, and LaPorta might be starting tomorrow against the Giants?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby paulcousineau » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I hope there are some inspiring pictures up after the game of Ryan Garko motoring around LF.

Like this?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EenRXy_Tlb8/SaLbYc6ZJ4I/AAAAAAAABko/pIu91Y0FWCg/s1600-h/Garko+OF.jpg
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Nice to see Stephen Head in there in the intrasquad game. He'll be on our show this week.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Shoppach homers, Valbuena triples, Huff and Rondon throw scoreless inning.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:10 pm

I see Betancourt's starting early this year.

Thanks for the link TF. Much appreciated.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:10 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:Valbuena triples

Okay, I'm sorry I missed that.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
TitoFrancona wrote:Valbuena triples

Okay, I'm sorry I missed that.

Can we expect a B-List from this Intrasquad contest? :woot:
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Can we expect a B-List from this Intrasquad contest? :woot:

Only if there's an on-line play-by-play and some video highlights.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:Can we expect a B-List from this Intrasquad contest? :woot:

Only if there's an on-line play-by-play and some video highlights.

I expected something more witty as to why there wouldn't be one, considering there's no reason for one, unless Ryan Garko robs a home run.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Crowe and Barfield homer also. Crowe has 2 hits. Meloan & Kobyashi both got rocked - giving up 3 runs each. Beau Mills tripled in VMart who had a single and Stephen Head also singled.

News flash: GARKO catches fly ball while fighting the sun and high sky.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Chris » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Grats, Kobyashi still sucks!
Chris

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Masa was torched today. Crowe with a bomb and a couple hits so far. Barfield hit a HR....many of the kids doing well.

Not much to take from the first game of the spring other than no injuries and hopefully there are none.

Though, I am not a big fan of Masa, so his implosion today just adds more fuel to the fire how much I'd like to see him released. I'd actually like to see both him and Delluci replaced with Crowe and one (both) or Miller/Meloan.
consigliere

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Consigliere wrote:Masa was torched today. Crowe with a bomb and a couple hits so far. Barfield hit a HR....many of the kids doing well.

Not much to take from the first game of the spring other than no injuries and hopefully there are none.
Though, I am not a big fan of Masa, so his implosion today just adds more fuel to the fire how much I'd like to see him released. I'd actually like to see both him and Delluci replaced with Crowe and one (both) or Miller/Meloan.

It's a game. Whether it's intrasquad or a regular game, it has a lineup, scorecard, stats and everything. It's been a long freaking time. Thank god it's here.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm

It really didn't take long for Kobayashi to get Hiroshima'd. I hope they get rid of him. I didn't like the signing before and I certainly don't like it now.

Good, I guess, to see Barfield doing well. Maybe it'll up his trade value.

Crowe definitely should be here over Dellucci, though I don't want to slow down his development, unless he is ready to platoon with Francisco.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:It really didn't take long for Kobayashi to get Hiroshima'd. I hope they get rid of him. I didn't like the signing before and I certainly don't like it now.

Good, I guess, to see Barfield doing well. Maybe it'll up his trade value.

Crowe definitely should be here over Dellucci, though I don't want to slow down his development, unless he is ready to platoon with Francisco.

I agree about Kobyashi. I didn't particularily like the signing from the start. His last season or 2 in Japan was at best, unremarkable. I can actually remember some believing that he might be our closer.

I also agree about Crowe. I'd love to see him win a job, but I can't see it happening. They'll keep Dellucci for at least April and May. And I'm not sure he would exaclty rot on the bench either. I'm pretty sure that if he was kept he'd platoon with Ben and certainly the fact that he would be batting against righties would mean he would be in the lineup probably at least 60% of the time.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Chris » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 pm

I agree baseball is baseball, even though Masa got lit up these snippets have me giddy. I cant wait for tomorrow. I also wanna see some of our young kids in action.
Chris

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm not getting worked up about a pitcher being ineffective on Feb. 24. Geez.

I'm not a fan of No Masa, but to write him off is tantamount to handing Barfield the starting 3B job and expecting 40 bombs because he hit one today. It's Feb. 24.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Chris » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I'm not getting worked up about a pitcher being ineffective on Feb. 24. Geez.

I'm not a fan of No Masa, but to write him off is tantamount to handing Barfield the starting 3B job and expecting 40 bombs because he hit one today. It's Feb. 24.

I agree, the only problem is Masa has a year of suckage under his belt already.
Chris

Unread postby petes999 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm

It is good to see some of the kids have a good game. We got to remember that pitchers are still playing around to get a feel. Yet, it's not a good sign that the pitchers who have gotten rocked are relievers (Raffy R, Mesa and Meloan). Don't relievers have 2 pitches that they use (one in Raffy's case ... yet Meloan has a full arsenal). How long does it take to get a feel for those 1-2 pitches versus a starter who has 3-4 pitches? At least for a starter, he may get rocked if his curveball/slider doesn't have bite so early in the spring, yet throws a meatball here and there anyway to get it going. Yet, how hard is it for Raffy to throw that fastball on the outside corner.

I would think relievers would have more luck at the start of the season as they don't have much to work on. So, it is more impressive that Rondon and Huff had a good inning each ... especially starting in front of Wedgie trying to earn a spot (at least in Huff's case) so there are some butterflies.

I wonder if the Salas trade and Marte DFA was Wedgie trying to get a spark under some vets like Kobi ... saying that he wasn't impressed with the relievers early on and wanted more competition or with some people's conditioning. I know this is a strech to assume ... yet as mentioned earlier wouldn't it have been easy to put Westbrook on the 60 day DL (as Twins or Royals did a few days later) to get that spot? Just a thought
petes999

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Chris wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:I'm not getting worked up about a pitcher being ineffective on Feb. 24. Geez.

Half a year, really. Before the All-Star Break, Kobayashi held opponents to a .237 batting average, gave up fewer than a hit an inning, sported a 3.05 ERA, and a non-putrid 5.7 K/9. But he made 42 appearances, and that was too many, and he turned into a newt.

Now, the newtian phase of his career may be permanent ... but it may be that he's a fine 6th or 7th man, a guy who can get by with infrequent usage, and actually be effective BECAUSE he's not used a frequently. He might not. We'll see. But I'm not getting out the permanent marker on Feb. 24.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Chris wrote:

Half a year, really. Before the All-Star Break, Kobayashi held opponents to a .237 batting average, gave up fewer than a hit an inning, sported a 3.05 ERA, and a non-putrid 5.7 K/9. But he made 42 appearances, and that was too many, and he turned into a newt.

Now, the newtian phase of his career may be permanent ... but it may be that he's a fine 6th or 7th man, a guy who can get by with infrequent usage, and actually be effective BECAUSE he's not used a frequently. He might not. We'll see. But I'm not getting out the permanent marker on Feb. 24.

But was it a byproduct of tiring out or of the book finally being out on him and hitters adjusting? Then the front office just covering it up by saying he was tired.

They had to know it was coming, so why work him so much before July 1? That makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think he's a mook, to steal a B-List term.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:They had to know it was coming, so why work him so much before July 1?

I don't know if you remember, but the Indians bullpen was bad last season.

Please consider this statement: Masa Kobayashi was a bright spot for the Indians' bullpen in the first half.

That's not a good bullpen, ladies and germs.

They used him that often because he was one of their best options.

For further reading, see "Indians acquire Kerry Wood," "Indians trade for Joe Smith," and "Indians trade for Juan Salas."
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:They had to know it was coming, so why work him so much before July 1?

I don't know if you remember, but the Indians bullpen was bad last season.

Please consider this statement: Masa Kobayashi was a bright spot for the Indians' bullpen in the first half.

That's not a good bullpen, ladies and germs.

They used him that often because he was one of their best options.

For further reading, see "Indians acquire Kerry Wood," "Indians trade for Joe Smith," and "Indians trade for Juan Salas."

I understand that, Steve, but why compromise a 3.5M a year investment by throwing him for as many innings in three months as he had all of the previous season, and as much as his career high?

Not coincidentally, the Indians played their best baseball after August 7. Kobayashi only appeared in 8 games and gave up runs in 4 of them, this coming after his August 6 implosion.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 pm

I don't think anybody on this website is writing off Masa or any player based on how he does this early. I mean you don't see anybody screaming that Barfield should be our 2nd baseman because he hit a HR.

I just think people tend to formulate their opinions even before ST starts. My opinion has been that Masa should have to earn a spot in the bullpen. Others feel he shouldn't have to win the spot.

That's okay. Everybody has their opinions. It's just that mine are always right. :nanner:
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:That's okay. Everybody has their opinions. It's just that mine are always right. :nanner:

Holy shit, my father-in-law logs onto the site as TitoFrancona!
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Final score was 8-6

Trevor Crowe 2-3, HR, RBI
Josh Barfield 1-3, HR, 3RBI
Kelly Shoppach 2-2, 2RS, 2B, HR, 3RBI
Beau Mills 2-3, 2RS, 3B, RBI
Luis Valbuena 1-2, 3B, 2RBI
Asdrubal Cabrera 3-3, RS

David Huff, Kirk Saarloos, Ryan Edell, Adam Miller, Hector Rondon all had scoreless outings.

Sound from Eric Wedge after the game….
http://multimedia.indians.com/audio/Aud ... nterviews/
consigliere

Unread postby Chris » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Asdrubal Cabrera 3-3, RS

my boy. :) Breakout year incoming!
Chris

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:51 pm

2/25/09 Cactus League opener vs. Giants @ Goodyear:

GIANTS: RF Randy Winn, SS Edgar Renteria, 3B Pablo Sandoval, C Bengie Molina, 1B Travis Ishikawa, CF Aaron Rowand, LF Nate Schierholtz, 2B Emmanuel Buriss, DH Juan Uribe. RHP Tim Lincecum.

INDIANS: CF Grady Sizemore, 3B Mark DeRosa, SS Jhonny Peralta, C Victor Martinez, 1B Ryan Garko, LF Ben Francisco, 2B Jamey Carroll, DH Carlos Santana, RF Trevor Crowe. LHP Jeremy Sowers.

Also available for the Tribe: LHP Zach Jackson, LHP Rafael Perez, RHP Ed Mujica, RHP Vinnie Chulk, RHP Matt Herges, RHP Jack Cassel and RHP Tomo Ohka.

Can't WAIT to see Santana while watching the game today.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Chris » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Oh...so...Sizemore IS playing.
Chris

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Chris wrote:Oh...so...Sizemore IS playing.

Well, he's a grinder.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby hornet84 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:58 pm

I heard the Indians are planning on having a moment of silence signifying the official end of Joe Borowski's career.

Good ol Jo Bo. He will be missed ( by the hitters in the AL ). He had the heart of a lion, but the arm of a kitten.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby Jumbo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:00 pm

Should be a lot of fun to watch today's game.

Can't WAIT to see Santana while watching the game today.

Seconded.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby scott » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:03 pm

cozmeesah wrote:2/25/09 Cactus League opener vs. Giants @ Goodyear:

GIANTS: RF Randy Winn, SS Edgar Renteria, 3B Pablo Sandoval, C Bengie Molina, 1B Travis Ishikawa, CF Aaron Rowand, LF Nate Schierholtz, 2B Emmanuel Buriss, DH Juan Uribe. RHP Tim Lincecum.

At first glance I wondered where the Giants sent the "A" team today. This is it. Brutal offense in SFO this year. They are going to waste some great starts.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm

Sowers starting where he left off....
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm

It pains me to say it, but it's almost nice to hear Matt Underwoods voice again!
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm

What is our rotation looking like? I'm assuming we don't have it set yet, right? How many spots are still up for grabs and who is in competition for them?
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby aaronBG10 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Sowers looked pretty good once he settled down and got the ball down in the zone...Hell maybe I am just giddy because there is real, live baseball on my television!!!!!
aaronBG10

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:22 pm

lol, It's almost evil for the first pitcher they go against to be Lincecum. Let em ease into it at least a tiny bit, man, lol.
cozmeesah

Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Would love to see that approach from Honny about another 600 times this year.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:26 pm

cozmeesah wrote:lol, It's almost evil for the first pitcher they go against to be Lincecum. Let em ease into it at least a tiny bit, man, lol.

I'm surprised SF threw him out there this early.
Tribegrl85

Favorite Player: Ryan Garko
Least Favorite Player: 2009 Indians Bullpen

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:33 pm

good 2nd inning for Sowers.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Nice baserunning guys.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Gark definitely lost some weight..

Experiments on the base paths.
Tribegrl85

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Cleveland Indians Baseball:

Fundamentals to the max.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby onlyindreams » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:42 pm

It's good to hear Sowers is doing ok. Usually the hitters have a big advantage early on, as pitchers aren't using their entire repertoire. Also, I'm not sure if this is the case, but I always thought Cactus League games were usually high scoring affairs.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:53 pm

I like him already.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm really going to like DeRosa hitting behind Grady this season. He bombed that ball...
Chief24Wahoo

Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:16 pm

DeRosa has a beautiful swing...
Tribegrl85

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB