Text Size

The Neutral Zone

1980 Miracle on Ice

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

1980 Miracle on Ice

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm

No words are necessary.

Happy Anniversary to that team, one of the greatest hockey minds ever, Herb Brooks, and everyone else involved with that group.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: 1980 Miracle on Ice

Unread postby waborat » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:52 pm

by far THE greatest sporting event of my lifetime and you'll never see anything like that again

Thx for posting (oh, where have all the years gone?)
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Squints » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 pm

I must admit that I do not like hockey. I gave it a shot in high school/college- Rangers in '94 an the Red Wings back to back was that time, but I respect the sport and their fans.

But I am and admitted Olympics junkee and I amfacinated the the Miracle on Ice. I love the story and every angle about it. The Boys of Winter is tied with Friday Night Lights as the most intriguing and captivating book that I have read. I bought home-made DVDs on ebay with the original broadcasts of each of the games.

The highlight, for me, of our two week NorthEast/New England vacation last week was spending a night in Lake Placid. The rink, now Herb Brooks Arena, is open and I sat there and stared at the rink and I swear I heard the voices, cheers and echoes of that game and all the others- pure goosebumps. Any hockey fan, or Olympics junkee should go there. There is a small museum in the rink regarding the '80 Olympics and the other ('32?) Olympics held in Lake Placid. Words can't begin to describe the feeling I felt inside of the arena it was really a pilgrimage for me.

I am too young to remember the actual event, if there are people on this board who remeber it, I would love to hear your account.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Squints » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Bump instead of creating a new thread. Happy Anniversary to the "One Sporting Event I Wish I Could Go Back in Time and Witness." Celebrating it like I do every year by watching it on tape, just like the American public had to do in 1980.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:32 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to The Neutral Zone