Text Size

High School Sports

Let's talk high school football!!

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

Let's talk high school football!!

Unread postby D1ball » Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 pm

Who's doing what? Which schedules rock!! Players to watch.

NCL - Keep an eye on the young VASJ Vikings. Hoban will be tough as usual and NDCL has brought in a legendary new head coach to try and turn the tables there.

LEL- I'm Rollin' with the Cardinals of Mentor. Classy head coach and he knows how to get the most out of his players. Look at what he did to Glenville last year ...TWICE!

ESC - Ledgemont I believe is the team to beat once again.
D1ball

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 08, 2007 1:09 pm

You know....I used to be HUGE into high school football. I'm way out of touch with what is going on, so would glady welcome someone talking about it. I know it is something that I have been poking a stick at Swerb to add to the site, high school football coverage. But, that understandably is way down the road, even if then.

Anyway, I am a Perry grad and live in Painesville Township now (Riverside School Disctrict). If anyone knows how Perry and Riverside will look this year, let me know. Also, the area teams like Eastlake North, Willoughby South, Mentor, and Wickliffe. Grazi.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby D1ball » Tue May 08, 2007 3:27 pm

Mentor's key will have to be their QB, Tanski. He's tough, but has a question mark supporting cast. They lost some guys last year, but Steve Trivisonno is the coach that should be able to get the most out of his players.
Here's a peek at their schedule this season. Week #9 is still vacant and yet to be filled.

Sat

08/11/2007

Home *Scrimmage - St. Edward High School * 10:00AM -- --

Fri 08/17/2007 Home

*Scrimmage - North Canton Hoover High School * 6:00PM -- --

Fri 08/24/2007 Away

Cardinal Mooney at Youngstown State Univ. 7:30PM -- --

Fri 08/31/2007 Home

Strongsville High School (Youth Night) 7:30PM -- --

Fri 09/07/2007 Away

Solon High School 7:30PM -- --

Fri 09/14/2007 Home

Saint Ignatius High School (Parents Night) 7:30PM -- --

Fri 09/21/2007 Away

Massillon Washington H. S 7:30PM -- --

Fri 09/28/2007 Away

Euclid High School 7:30PM -- --

Sat 10/06/2007 Away

Shaker Heights H. S. 2:00PM -- --

Fri 10/12/2007 Home

Maple Heights High School (Homecoming) 7:30PM -- --

Fri 10/26/2007 Home

Cleveland Heights H. S. (Senior/Band Night) 7:30PM -- --
D1ball

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 08, 2007 3:32 pm

Willoughby South should be tough. :mrgreen:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby D1ball » Tue May 08, 2007 3:45 pm

South will be tough and should run neck in neck with Chardon for the PAC crown, but don't count Riverside out just yet. After that there are only North and Madison left in the tiniest of conferences. It's a crapshoot, but the schedule strength plays into who will make the playoffs.

Madison is always up for any game while Coach Toth over at North might have his work cut out for him losing his offensive coordinator Matt Melle, who left to return to his alma mater of VASJ as head coach.
D1ball

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 08, 2007 4:28 pm

Dropping Jefferson and Geneva will help South out with computer points. I went to a few games last year and the QB is for real. He was was like 6'6 and was only a freshman I believe. He has a chance to become a very good one. I cant wait to go to Duffy's camp this year. We run the 3-5 in our youth league to get these kids familar with the whole scheme.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby dmiles » Tue May 08, 2007 5:08 pm

OK, not totally HS football related, but I notice in this thread a bunch of eastern ring burbs mentioned. On the possibility that I move back to NE Ohio, just curious what towns you guys recommend. My kids are set to play football for the first time this year (5th and 7th) here in SoCal, but there is a possibility of obtaining a job in the Beachwood area. Since I am a youngstown-warren guy, and generally only passed these areas on the way downtown, I'd love to hear some folks talk about good towns to settle in. My kids are seemingly more into baseball, but I suppose that could change, however good access to ball fields in a community would be plus.

We did the host family thing at Mahoning Valley for a couple of years, so living near the Captains stadium might be tempting, so we can get back to our dominican connections. However Eastlake to Beachwood might be a rough commute.
dmiles

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 08, 2007 5:24 pm

If you are going to Beachwood....Solon/Twinsburg/Aurora area is nice, which is south of Beachwood. Things get pricey in the Eastlake/Willoughby/Mentor area, but still good areas as well.

As far as football programs go, Mentor is top notch right now. So is, I believe, Solon.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby dmiles » Tue May 08, 2007 5:52 pm

Realistically, I shouldn't be worried about sports, but I am assuming the education is fine in most of these communities.
dmiles

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 08, 2007 8:39 pm

dmiles wrote:Realistically, I shouldn't be worried about sports, but I am assuming the education is fine in most of these communities.

Hey bro, Going to a school with a track record for scouts coming in isnt anything to snuff at. Its a valid concern when a scholarship could be on the line. And yeah, they are all good schools unless it's inner city Cleveland. :mrgreen:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby D1ball » Tue May 08, 2007 8:51 pm

Sometimes the schools' track record may not be enough to bring in scouts most of the time unless they know who they're looking at. Marketing and promoting yourself to college coaches could be a better option and makes a great impression on that coach if done right.

Check our website. http://www.d1football.net

Remember only the top 6% of high school football players are those that are considered "elite." The other 94% are left to fend for themselves with millions of dollars in scholarship money being left on the table every year that could be going to some of the kids in that 94%. You put together a great season, get it on film, get yuor letters out, perform well in the combine and use your online profile as a resume, you can market yourself to the colleges that suit you the best be it Division I, II or III. "You know you're the best...Prove it."
Last edited by D1ball on Tue May 08, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do in your life that which will live forever."
D1ball

Unread postby Dozen » Tue May 08, 2007 9:17 pm

Sometimes the schools' track record may not be enough to bring in scouts most of the time

I'm refering to St. Eds, St. Ignatius, Lake Catholic ect.

Love the website though, very good idea!

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby D1ball » Tue May 08, 2007 10:04 pm

We're only entering our second year and we've had some real good turnouts at our events, PLUS we follow our members during the season with our Ultimate Tailgate Party where we set up our "compound" complete with DJ, giveaways, games, sponsors' items, food(we give it away!!) and it's just plain fun. What high school football is about. Our first Tailgate party will be at the Charity Game on August 25th at Browns Stadium - NDCL vs. Benedictine.

Come on down or meet up with us when we are at "your" school. We will have a scedule on our site once the season kicks off!!

The combine is in June, we're finalizing our venue tomorrow. See the site for details.
D1ball

Unread postby yargs7 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:33 pm

FIRDAY 8/24. MENTOR VS CARDINAL MOONEY. VERY INTERSTED IN HOW THAT GAME GOES.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby D1ball » Mon May 14, 2007 10:27 pm

Mentor should be able to win. They are a bit bigger, but lost some talent last year. Mooney still has a lot of weapons from last year, but I think this game may come down to coaching and give that edge to Triv.
D1ball

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue May 15, 2007 10:15 pm

D1ball wrote:Mentor should be able to win. They are a bit bigger, but lost some talent last year. Mooney still has a lot of weapons from last year, but I think this game may come down to coaching and give that edge to Triv.

I'm not a Mooney fan, but certainly a fan of Mahoning Valley Football. I am also a coach, so I won't be able to see the game live. Alot of people thought Mooney could have won any division last year...I'm not sure I agree. One thing is for sure, the CARDINALS will win. LOL
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby tribetalk » Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 pm

I am saying it now: The toughest region in all of Ohio is Division IV Region 13.

Consisting of the 2 Reigning State Champions: Steubenville Big Red [06 D3 Champ] and the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals [06 D4 Champ].

This region has 2 teams capable of being State Champion in any division in Ohio; they are that good.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby yargs7 » Wed May 16, 2007 9:50 pm

tribetalk wrote:I am saying it now: The toughest region in all of Ohio is Division IV Region 13.

Consisting of the 2 Reigning State Champions: Steubenville Big Red [06 D3 Champ] and the Cardinal Mooney Cardinals [06 D4 Champ].

This region has 2 teams capable of being State Champion in any division in Ohio; they are that good.

No doubt those two teams are capable of beating anyone in the state...but , I'd say DIV 1 region 1 is the toughest from top to bottom.

Mentor, St. Ed's, Ignatius, Glenville, Warren Harding, Solon, and Strongsville, Austintown Fitch, and Boardman
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 17, 2007 11:22 pm

Dozen wrote:Dropping Jefferson and Geneva will help South out with computer points. I went to a few games last year and the QB is for real. He was was like 6'6 and was only a freshman I believe. He has a chance to become a very good one. I cant wait to go to Duffy's camp this year. We run the 3-5 in our youth league to get these kids familar with the whole scheme.

This kid has to be one of the top QB's in the area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qeteu7wVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViVVr1ro4Us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9Xq8JfJnQ

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Babrook » Sun May 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Nordonia is in a world of hurt without Mabin =(.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby jfiling » Sun May 27, 2007 1:47 pm

tribetalk wrote:I am saying it now: The toughest region in all of Ohio is Division IV Region 13.

Man, growing up Steubenville knocked my team (North Canton Hoover) out of the playoffs two years in a row (if I remember right).

A Summit County team that has been dominant in its division for a long time now is Mogadore. 3 championships and 9 undefeated seasons since 1979 (according to wikipedia).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby bigjuan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:04 am

Ohio is simply packed with great high school football talent. Northeast Ohio seems to be the breadbasket!!

I like Mentor. I like Hoban in the NCL( but watch VASJ with their new coach and NDCL). Ledgemont to win ESC.

"The Biggest Juan"
bigjuan

Unread postby tribetalk » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:26 pm

Yes, people all over the country can't say enough about how good Northeast Ohio Football is. From Steubenville-if you call that NE Ohio; up to St. Ed's; it's just an amazing crop of athletes.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby D1ball » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:23 pm

D1 Football's 2nd annual Ultimate Football Combine was a great success Saturday at Cuyahoga Community College-East campus.

Some of the schools represented included VASJ, NDCL, Benedictine, Perry, Ledgemont, West Geauga, Brush, Akron Hoban, Padua...to name a few.

Great numbers put up by all the kids and some UFC records were set as well.

go to www.d1football.net to see more results of our roster player-members.

Stay tuned now the D1 Ultimate High School Football Tailgate Party is on it's way. Back by popular demand we will be heading out this year to our featured Zeppe's Pizza Games of the Week. Already on our list NDCL-Benedictine, VASJ-Maple Hts., Willoughby South-Eastlake North at Classic Park, Ledgemont-Newbury. The list will grow once the season starts, but those are the only locks so far. Come out and say hi, have some fun, win prizes and get some food and beverages we'll be GIVING away. Just look for the D1 Football and Zeppe's Pizzeria signs.

Unread postby gradyin06 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Representing the DIVISION ONE STATE CHAMPS 2006 HILLIARD DAVIDSON!! Mentor had no answer for Bo, just textbook passing every play. Old school rushing is where it's at!
gradyin06

Unread postby D1ball » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:19 pm

That truly was one of the greatest high school games ever played! It came down to a judgment call on the conservative side that I KNOW TRIV will not make again. He knows how to win and how to get his players to play hard and win.

Look for Mentor to be a force yet again in the LEL and in the state for that matter. Hell, I'd love to see a rematch.(':twisted:')
Twisted Evil
D1ball

Unread postby Eric » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:56 pm

You're absolutely right about Mogodore... one of the top programs in the state, they are D6 but spend more then their share of the time beating up on D5's and D4's... My highschool (Monroeville) meets them in the playoffs about every other year, we have even had a few scheduled regular season games against them...

Between Monroeville and their arch-rival Norwalk St. Paul there is usually a yearly battle with Mogodore which is always huge (considering it's D6)
Ernie Camacho for President
Eric

Unread postby ClevelandTexan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:49 pm

Trut me, i am a HUGE Cleveland High School Football fan here, but I see no argument when it comes to the toughest region in Ohio.

Div. I Region IV.

Elder, X, Moeller, Colerain, Centerville, Northmont, Lakota West, Wayne, etc.

Though of course I will always root for NEO teams.
ClevelandTexan

Unread postby jeck » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:33 pm

That is a pretty tough region but the likes of

Mentor, Ignatius, Eds, Warren Harding, Solon, Glenville, etc is right up there.
jeck

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:13 pm

Being a NE Ohio resident, all my life, and and Ed's grad, I have to be fair and admit the Cincy region seems to have the upper hand...they win more titles and beat more NE Ohio schools (when it really counts) more than the other way around.

How Ed's hasn't won one in the past 3 years in beyond me, hell in hoops this past year too.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby furls » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:24 am

Elder, X, Moeller, Colerain, Centerville, Northmont, Lakota West, Wayne, etc.

That region is probably one of the best in the nation.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:05 pm

jfiling,
I'm from Louisville. We've had our share of battles. Can't wait for the upcoming year. I didn't fare well my senior year but my little brother won a thriller against the Vikes in '03. He single-handidly shutdown OSU-bound Lukens and the Leps won a classic in OT 28-27, I believe.

NE Ohio football is about as big as it comes and you won't find a more passionate county in that region than Stark county. It's a religion there.
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby thedirtceo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:55 am

Babrook wrote:Nordonia is in a world of hurt without Mabin =(.

Especially in week one! :lol: :lol: :lol:
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Unread postby thedirtceo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:57 am

bigjuan wrote:Ohio is simply packed with great high school football talent. Northeast Ohio seems to be the breadbasket!!

I like Mentor. I like Hoban in the NCL( but watch VASJ with their new coach and NDCL). Ledgemont to win ESC.

"The Biggest Juan"

Its a good thing Cleveland State doesn't have a football program......... dumbasses!!!!!!!!! :idea:
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Private Schools

Unread postby Motz22 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:02 pm

I hate private schools, they recruit players from public schools. Benes had at least 2 Wickliffe eith graders on the sidelines during their state tournament a few years ago. This of course is a violation of OHSAA rules and regulations. Ironically, the entire Benedictine backfield is from Wickliffe. I say let private schools play in their own playoffs that are separate from public schools. That's just my opinion as a former high school coach. I'll root for a public school team over a private school any day.
"There's no crying in baseball!"
Motz22

Re: Private Schools

Unread postby Babrook » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:48 pm

Motz22 wrote:I hate private schools, they recruit players from public schools.

Worked well for St. Eds :roll :roll:
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby thedirtceo » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:44 am

Maybe thats why Bennies has sucked the last couple of years........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Willoughby South will score this week... Book it! :eek :shock:
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:00 pm

There are public schools that recruit as well. Massillon is famous for it. just ask any football fan in Orrville or Perry...

Canton McKinley is another one. they take so many players from Canton Timken that they almost dumped their whole football program a few years ago.

There are others, we could go on and on. Recruiting is everywhere.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Not all private schools recruit

Unread postby MACattack » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:23 pm

Some families have to make tough decisions on what school is best for their children.

What if you live in Kalida, Ohio and are equi-distant between Lima Central Catholic and Delphos St. John's? Both are great schools to attend and Kalida doesn't have a football program.

Does OHSAA have to make a specific rule about where they should attend school?

Looking at this from NE, SE, SW Ohio and you're not familiar with certain situations this appears to be a recruiting situation.

Another scenario would be St Marys and St Henry both have strong football programs have won numerous State Championships but are public schools. It's the name of the city not the identifier has being a Catholic or private school.

I think recruiting goes on but its not the rule of thumb for the whole state.
MACattack

Return to High School Sports