Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who the hell is left?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Who the hell is left?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Ok, every premier Free Agent seems to have been franchised or signed to a long term contract. Here is a short list of guys that we can no longer have....

LB/DE-- Karlos Dansby, Terrell Suggs, Julius Peppers

CB- Dunta Robinson, Nmandi Asomugha

RB- Brandon Jacbobs, Darren Sproles

Here is whats left.......

Notables: Derrick Ward, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Bryant Johnson, Nate Washington, Eric Barton, Keith Brooking, Dan Cody, Clark Haggans, Bart Scott, Dre Bly, Michael Boulware, Mike Brown, Brian Dawkins, Reynaldo Hill, Jim Leonhard, Ricky Manning jr., Chris Mcalister, Darren Sharper.

My god, this is slim. Everyone was freaking franchised this year and it leaves us with slim pickens. Looks like we are going to have to build through the draft for the future. What are your guys' thoughts? Is there anyone i left out that you think could make a big difference on this team?
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Who the hell is left?

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:49 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote: Looks like we are going to have to build through the draft for the future. What are your guys' thoughts? Is there anyone i left out that you think could make a big difference on this team?

That is my thoughts. We need to quit overpaying for FA's. Draft well and properly. Get the most out of your current players and you will be ok. A few FA's here and there for the right price is the way to go.

Name the last big money FA the Inbred signed. They have 2 superbowls in the past 5 years. We have acquired more talent than them in every FA season. I am sick of winning in March. Show me in the Fall/Winter ManKok
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:16 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote: Nate Washington, Eric Barton

My top two I want.

I'd like to get rid of Donte' Stallworthless and give NateDawg his spot as a Number 2 receiver. I like what he brings to the table, the guy seems like he wants to be a starter, and with Santonio and Hines as their starters he may not have the chance for a few years. He's from Ohio and is young. That one may be difficult, as the Inbred may or may not have brainwashed him. Also Rumor has it Brad Smith will be gone from the Jets and he'd make an excellent 3rd/4th reciever, I still want Mike Furrey too, and with all of that are recieving corps. would be in excellent condition.

Barton, while a bit up there in age provides some leadership and is still in good shape as a linebacker, and again gives us some cap space to work with.

I wouldn't really waste money on anything else, a veteran runningback is not what this team needs, I'd get one in the first two rounds of the draft. Build through the draft, while getting some pieces through the FA and the occasional trade.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Crash Davis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Ziner wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote: Looks like we are going to have to build through the draft for the future. What are your guys' thoughts? Is there anyone i left out that you think could make a big difference on this team?

That is my thoughts. We need to quit overpaying for FA's. Draft well and properly. Get the most out of your current players and you will be ok. A few FA's here and there for the right price is the way to go.

Name the last big money FA the Inbred signed. They have 2 superbowls in the past 5 years. We have acquired more talent than them in every FA season. I am sick of winning in March. Show me in the Fall/Winter ManKok

Before any contracts get restructured or players bonuses not picked up as of right now we have slightly over $10 million in available cap space. That's one to two really good players or three or four mediocre players. I fully expect Eric Barton to be signed to at minimum a two year deal to play next to NYQuill. Still would like to draft a nasty ILB in the first few rounds and if they can't agree on a draft pick for DA maybe grab a decent WR or DB in return. Other than a trade the best guess would be a veteran WR and a backup QB and/or offensive lineman in free agency. Its going to be a quiet free agency this year for the Browns compared to the past few years. Really looking forward to the draft as they can't do any worse than previous regimes have picking in the top 5.

UPDATE: As I was typing this saw the Jets released both LB's David Bowens and Brad Kassell, both are backups and Kassell is also an ace special teamer so these two could be names along with Brad Smith that you hear in Berea soon.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm

BART SCOTT
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:31 pm

pod2dawg wrote:BART SCOTT

I think he may be more a product of the Ravens system a la Audalius Thomas than a pure talent like the Murderer or Suggs.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:41 pm

Ziner wrote:[Name the last big money FA the Inbred signed. They have 2 superbowls in the past 5 years. We have acquired more talent than them in every FA season. I am sick of winning in March. Show me in the Fall/Winter ManKok

That is such a great question. James Farrior in 2003? They build it right, and I'm hoping ManKok has it figured out. I do like Kokinis talking about character and love of the game being more important than 40 times and bench presses.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:46 am

DrPoove wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:BART SCOTT

I think he may be more a product of the Ravens system a la Audalius Thomas than a pure talent like the Murderer or Suggs.

Doc, well....ok...maybe....but that would make him...the best LB on our team. I don't know; he hit's like a truck. I know he is surrounded by talent and the perfect system...I just want somebody..a hitter....the "thug & sugg" are pure talent. :gah:
pod2dawg

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:03 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:Ok, every premier Free Agent seems to have been franchised or signed to a long term contract. Here is a short list of guys that we can no longer have....

Notables: Derrick Ward, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Bryant Johnson, Nate Washington, Eric Barton, Keith Brooking, Dan Cody, Clark Haggans, Bart Scott, Dre Bly, Michael Boulware, Mike Brown, Brian Dawkins, Reynaldo Hill, Jim Leonhard, Ricky Manning jr., Chris Mcalister, Darren Sharper.

My god, this is slim. Everyone was freaking franchised this year and it leaves us with slim pickens. Looks like we are going to have to build through the draft for the future. What are your guys' thoughts? Is there anyone i left out that you think could make a big difference on this team?

What, Ray Lewis isn't notable enough to make that list?

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 am

Hiko wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:Ok, every premier Free Agent seems to have been franchised or signed to a long term contract. Here is a short list of guys that we can no longer have....

Rayenthal is on a list alright but it might not have anything to do with the NFL
Crash Davis

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:39 am

Hiko wrote:

Murderers not included, sorry.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:51 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Hiko wrote:

Murderers not included, sorry.

So you would not want one of the top 5 LB's in the NFL on your team because of his scandalous past?
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 am

I don't want Lewis simply because he'd probably get a 4 or 5 year deal and halfway thru it will be Willie McGinest II.

I think we end up with an Eric Barton type and draft someone like Curry, Rey or Sintim.

The interesting thing with Curry is that you could almost play him at 2 different positions, depending on the down. (OLB to ILB)
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:30 am

Derrick Ward- Only if we cut or restructure Jamal Lewis's contract.
Bryant Johnson- Eh probably be cheap. Probably better options though. Not bad third receiver but identical to JJ.
Eric Barton- Only if we are sure we can't draft Curry and Maualuga isn't worth the #5 pick.
Bart Scott- Is a great linebacker but what makes him so great isn't Ray Lewis, it is that defensive line and Rex Ryan. Ray Lewis helps but you can't give him all the credit.
Jim Leonhard- Perfect replacement for Sean Jones. Should be cheaper and can return punts.
Chris Mcalister- Only if we comes cheap. I hope we wants to face Baltimore twice a year.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

Paul Brown
js2310

Favorite Player: Brady Quinn
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:52 am

js2310 wrote:Derrick Ward- Only if we cut or restructure Jamal Lewis's contract.
Eric Barton- Only if we are sure we can't draft Curry and Maualuga isn't worth the #5 pick.
Bart Scott- Is a great linebacker but what makes him so great isn't Ray Lewis, it is that defensive line and Rex Ryan. Ray Lewis helps but you can't give him all the credit.
Jim Leonhard- Perfect replacement for Sean Jones. Should be cheaper and can return punts.
Chris Mcalister- Only if we comes cheap. I hope we wants to face Baltimore twice a year.

I agree with you on some of these like Leonhard who but why Barton only if we can't or don't draft Curry and Maualuga? This teams needs LB's not just a LB. Barton would be cheap, knows Mangini's system and would allow Curry to stay outside mostly or be in a nice rotation with Maualuga or Curry at ILB if Curry is moved there. McAllister only if he would agree to play nickel and of course not ask for the moon.
Last edited by Crash Davis on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:56 am

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:Derrick Ward- Only if we cut or restructure Jamal Lewis's contract.

I agree with you on some of these like Leonhard who but why Barton only if we can't or don't draft Curry and Maualuga? This teams LB's not just a LB. Barton would be cheap, knows Mangini's system and would allow Curry to stay outside mostly or be in a nice rotation with Maualuga or Curry at ILB if Curry is moved there. McAllister only if he would agree to play nickel and of course not ask for the moon.

Curry outside? I don't know if he can beat tackles. I'd was saying if we sign Barton we would draft one of the DE/OLB. I am not a fan of doing it at #5 but I see it happening if Curry is gone.

Rey shouldn't be picked before 10. I like him but he isn't exactly worth a top 10 pick unless he has a sick combine.

I'm praying for

1. Curry
2. Larry English

Also I do not think Eric Barton will be that cheap, a lot of teams are switching to the 3-4 which pisses me off.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:52 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

I agree with you on some of these like Leonhard who but why Barton only if we can't or don't draft Curry and Maualuga? This teams LB's not just a LB. Barton would be cheap, knows Mangini's system and would allow Curry to stay outside mostly or be in a nice rotation with Maualuga or Curry at ILB if Curry is moved there. McAllister only if he would agree to play nickel and of course not ask for the moon.

Curry outside? I don't know if he can beat tackles. I'd was saying if we sign Barton we would draft one of the DE/OLB. I am not a fan of doing it at #5 but I see it happening if Curry is gone.

LMAO!!! This is getting downright laughable. Have you ever even see Curry play? I really would like you to explain how a guy that runs a 4.52 40 can't beat an NFL tackle?
Crash Davis

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:10 pm

lubber wrote: [So you would not want one of the top 5 LB's in the NFL on your team because of his scandalous past?

It's 2009, not 1999. Ray Lewis isn't the best LB on his team, let alone one of the top 5 currently in the league.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Crash Davis wrote:LMAO!!! This is getting downright laughable. Have you ever even see Curry play? I really would like you to explain how a guy that runs a 4.52 40 can't beat an NFL tackle?

Chaun Thompson ran a 4.53 at the 2003 Combine. How'd that work out for him? Oh, yea, he had 10 sacks in 5 years.
mattvan1

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:LMAO!!! This is getting downright laughable. Have you ever even see Curry play? I really would like you to explain how a guy that runs a 4.52 40 can't beat an NFL tackle?

Chaun Thompson ran a 4.53 at the 2003 Combine. How'd that work out for him? Oh, yea, he had 10 sacks in 5 years.

I never said Curry was going to put up huge sack #'s in fact I didn't post ANY projections as far as what he would do other than listing his speed so the stats for Chaun Thompson are irrelevant when talking about whether or not Curry has the speed to beat an NFL tackle. Now does he have the technique down? If your asking that question than it is a legitimate question until he proves at the NFL level he can do such on a consistent basis as we thought Wimbley would be able to do so based on his performance at FSU but so far he hasn't done much despite his speed. Curry though is an enforcer all over the defense and not a pure pass rusher like Wimbley was cast as, Curry does everything well.

In college at WF Curry was asked to do everything on that defense and he responded including in pass coverage when he had to. He wasn't taken off the field as much as most LBers in college are in the nickel and dime packages and did well in those situations which leads me to believe he could play OLB in the 3-4 in the NFL as well as ILB.
Last edited by Crash Davis on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

LMAO!!! This is getting downright laughable. Have you ever even see Curry play? I really would like you to explain how a guy that runs a 4.52 40 can't beat an NFL tackle?

He doesn't have the strength to play outside in the 3-4. He would be an ILB. I can pretty just guarantee it actually.

I've watched him play and playing OLB in the 4-3 is a lot different than the 3-4. Brian Cushing wouldn't work outside either in the 3-4. Look at all the great 3-4 OLB and name one that compares to Curry. I can name a lot that play ILB that compares to Curry.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

He doesn't have the strength to play outside in the 3-4. He would be an ILB. I can pretty just guarantee it actually.

I've watched him play and playing OLB in the 4-3 is a lot different than the 3-4. Brian Cushing wouldn't work outside either in the 3-4. Look at all the great 3-4 OLB and name one that compares to Curry. I can name a lot that play ILB that compares to Curry.

Apparently you don't read very well as clearly stated why he can play OLB in the 3-4 in my last post. Just because he didn't play DE in college doesn't mean he doesn't project to an OLB in the NFL in the 3-4. He can play anywhere at LB on this defense and be a major upgrade over anything we have right now. His best pro position may in fact be at ILB but you still have not given any facts as to why he can't play outside in the 3-4 in the NFL. You want examples, how about Keith Bullock?

How do you know Curry doesn't have the strength to play in the 3-4? Apparently you've only watched him once or twice. To say this pre-combine is really BOLD as neither of us knows for sure.

Cushing not playing OLB in the 3-4 is a no brainer so don't put words in my mouth regarding that one. Cushing lacks speed and doesn't have any experience in coverage as unlike Curry he was taken off the field in nickel and dime packages. He's a helluva a lot slower than Curry so like I said that one is a given from the get go before we even get into technique.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Apparently you don't read very well as clearly stated why he can play OLB in the 3-4 in my last post. Just because he didn't play DE in college doesn't mean he doesn't project to an OLB in the NFL in the 3-4. He can play anywhere at LB on this defense and be a major upgrade over anything we have right now. His best pro position may in fact be at ILB but you still have not given any facts as to why he can't play outside in the 3-4 in the NFL. You want examples, how about Keith Bullock?

How do you know Curry doesn't have the strength to play in the 3-4? Apparently you've only watched him once or twice. To say this pre-combine is really BOLD as neither of us knows for sure.

Cushing not playing OLB in the 3-4 is a no brainer so don't put words in my mouth regarding that one. Cushing lacks speed and doesn't have any experience in coverage as unlike Curry he was taken off the field in nickel and dime packages. He's a helluva a lot slower than Curry so like I said that one is a given from the get go before we even get into technique.

Keith Bullock plays in the 3-4 hey? He plays in the 4-3. Look Curry could work outside but not rushing the passer. My personally opinion is the fact he moves best sideline to sideline which is perfect for ILB. He can actually attacked the offensive line with his speed and take the running back before he gets past the line of scrimmage unlike D'Qwell.

No one knows his pass rushing skills and that is why I'd prefer he played the middle. Maybe he is a great pass rusher off the edge but we don't know. No one knows because he didn't do it much at Wake. He was mainly known for his pass coverage and his speed. Also people know of his INT returns for TDs since he had 3 in 2007. He probably is a better fit for the 4-3 but he is just too big of talent to pass. He reminds me of Patrick Willis from two years ago, same mold and everything.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:44 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Keith Bullock plays in the 3-4 hey? He plays in the 4-3. Look Curry could work outside but not rushing the passer. My personally opinion is the fact he moves best sideline to sideline which is perfect for ILB. He can actually attacked the offensive line with his speed and take the running back before he gets past the line of scrimmage unlike D'Qwell.

No one knows his pass rushing skills and that is why I'd prefer he played the middle. Maybe he is a great pass rusher off the edge but we don't know. No one knows because he didn't do it much at Wake. He was mainly known for his pass coverage and and speed. He probably is a better fit for the 4-3 but he is just too big of talent to pass. He reminds me of Patrick Willis from two years ago, same mold and everything.

I never said Bullock played in the 3-4 you just asked me to compare someone to him, I did.

Patrick Willis comparison is valid when you consider his motor but not when you consider instincts as we don't know how Curry would do inside. You say you'd prefer he played the middle you mean inside in the 3-4? There is no middle backer in the 3-4 there are two inside backers. Same analogy though applies here that you said about his pass rushing skills although he did prove those at WF. How do you know he has the instincts to play on the inside if he has never played there? Its all a projection because who runs a 3-4 in college, no one that I can think of. I say going by what we know he's an OLB until proven otherwise.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Sorry didn't know ILB and MLB didn't mean the same thing. I know there are two linebackers in the middle in the 3-4. Only team that plays 3-4 in college is Virginia that is why people are high on Clint Sintim because he plays OLB in the 3-4 in college and can rush the passer but also knows coverages unlike most DE/OLB prospects.

What I'm going to say is he is a linebacker and could play anywhere in any system. I do agree he can play outside in the 3-4, but we need someone else on passing down, he couldn't play there full time. I guess we do have Alex Hall who showed potential so it could be Wimbley-Barton-Jackson-Curry/Hall and we move Curry inside on passing down if you like.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:01 pm

js2310 wrote:Sorry didn't know ILB and MLB didn't mean the same thing. I know there are two linebackers in the middle in the 3-4. Only team that plays 3-4 in college is Virginia that is why people are high on Clint Sintim because he plays OLB in the 3-4 in college and can rush the passer but also knows coverages unlike most DE/OLB prospects.

What I'm going to say is he is a linebacker and could play anywhere in any system. I do agree he can play outside in the 3-4, but we need someone else on passing down, he couldn't play there full time. I guess we do have Alex Hall who showed potential so it could be Wimbley-Barton-Jackson-Curry/Hall and we move Curry inside on passing down if you like.

If you have watched enough of the Demon Deacons games over the last couple of years you would know that they did occasionally do this with Curry but its hard to say where he was more effective because other Smith there wasn't a lot of talent on that WF defense.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:Sorry didn't know ILB and MLB didn't mean the same thing. I know there are two linebackers in the middle in the 3-4. Only team that plays 3-4 in college is Virginia that is why people are high on Clint Sintim because he plays OLB in the 3-4 in college and can rush the passer but also knows coverages unlike most DE/OLB prospects.

If you have watched enough of the Demon Deacons games over the last couple of years you would know that they did occasionally do this with Curry but its hard to say where he was more effective because other Smith there wasn't a lot of talent on that WF defense.

Yeah we will really never know until he is on the team which I doubt will ever happen. I could see him going number one to Detroit and them paring Sims and Curry together. That is a sick linebacker core. Also if they could sign Haynesworth and have him and Redding pair up together would fix their defense a lot.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Yeah we will really never know until he is on the team which I doubt will ever happen. I could see him going number one to Detroit and them paring Sims and Curry together. That is a sick linebacker core. Also if they could sign Haynesworth and have him and Redding pair up together would fix their defense a lot.

Projecting college outside backers in the 3-4 is just that a projection. I have been around a long time and I have coached LB's and DB's at the Div II level which by no means makes me an expert but at this point based on what I have seen of Curry and others that have come out in recent years he is the classic "SLB". He would most likely start out there if the Brownies drafted him opposite Kam and moving to the inside is not out of the question later in his career ala Bart Scott.
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
Yinzer Hater

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:47 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you don't have the strength to play OLB, how can you have the strength to play ILB? OLB are edge rushers and cover the TE and need to be quick, ILB need to be stronger to take on FB's and tackle power backs.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:49 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Lets not make ourselves miserable.

The Albert Haynesworths of the world sighn with contenders AND pull in hellijack.

We have no chance of signing him as we are a laughing stock until we earn our way out of that.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm

JB wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

The Albert Haynesworths of the world sighn with contenders AND pull in hellijack.

We have no chance of signing him as we are a laughing stock until we earn our way out of that.

Agreed JB even if we did have the cap $$$ to sign Haynesworth where on earth would he play? Would we sit Rogers? I don't think Haynesworth could play end in the 3-4 Lord knows Corey Williams is having a hard enough time as it is adjusting from the inside of a 4-3 to playing with no one next to him. I am trying to see it to be flexible and respectful here but I just don't see the fit.
Crash Davis

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 pm

We could sign Haynesworth and play the 5-2 with Rogers and Haynesworth up front.... oh wait we don't even have enough linebackers for a 3-4 (or 4-3 for that matter), let alone 5 on the field a majority of the time.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
lubber wrote: [So you would not want one of the top 5 LB's in the NFL on your team because of his scandalous past?

It's 2009, not 1999. Ray Lewis isn't the best LB on his team, let alone one of the top 5 currently in the league.

Really? Whom is better on his team?

Taking all biases out of the equation (you hate him cuz he is UM, or he is a Raven, or he is alleged criminal,etc, etc), how can you not say he is one of top 5 NFL ILB/MLB's RIGHT NOW? Ray can rush the passer, play the run, and also drop into coverage. I guess all the sportwriters who cover the NFL must of been blind this year when they voted him 1st Team All Pro (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/09/all-pro-roster.ap/)
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:13 pm

lubber wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Taking all biases out of the equation (you hate him cuz he is UM, or he is a Raven, or he is alleged criminal,etc, etc), how can you not say he is one of top 5 NFL ILB/MLB's RIGHT NOW? Ray can rush the passer, play the run, and also drop into coverage. I guess all the sportwriters who cover the NFL must of been blind this year when they voted him 1st Team All Pro (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/09/all-pro-roster.ap/)

All right. I'll take the bias out. I still don't want him. He'll be 34 in May, don't know how many good years left but I would say "not many". I don't know if the Ravens consider Lewis the best on their D, but they franchised Suggs, who is 8 years younger. I'm not saying the guy is not one of the all time greats, I just don't see the ROI. By the time we're competitive, he's Willie McG.
mattvan1

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:29 am

JB wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Aren't we already miserable? Agree that a stud like FaceStomper signs with a contender at hellajack, but I think js was talking about the Lions not the Browns landing him. Although same rules apply to the Lions...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 am

lubber wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

While I concur that Rayelnthal is still better than anyone we've had since 1994 and would be now even at 34, I can't see him coming here from a pride standpoint as such an obvious moeny grab with a loser that had been the rival / pimp slapped team. Sort of like Cowher. Too much pride.

That said, I am done with the Speilman's , Kirkland's and McGinnests. Enough. We are not one player away.

Then again, how "Browns" would it be to get Rayenthal,a nd B-more drafts Rey and he kicks out asses for a decade?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Crash Davis wrote: Curry does everything well.

...that he does...so well he'll probably go #1. I was praying coming from Wake he'd "drop" to us...not happening now boys. The Deac is out of the bag. & Crabtree's foot sealed it. We are back to the "what the f^&^%^&^ck do we do at 5?"..scenario. We aren't trading down.. I know caus I prayed for that too..so...

1. reach for Orakpo?
2. reach for Rey Rey?
3. reach for Beanie/ Moreno?
4. best OL available
5. M. Jenkins?
6. B.J. Raji ?

The intriguing pick in my opinion is the 2nd round....Sintim, Shonn Green, Donald Brown, Larry English? I love Sintim, Green, & Brown & couldn't argue with one of those. :pop:
pod2dawg

Unread postby pup » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am

pod2dawg wrote:
Crash Davis wrote: Curry does everything well.

...that he does...so well he'll probably go #1. I was praying coming from Wake he'd "drop" to us...not happening now boys. The Deac is out of the bag. & Crabtree's foot sealed it. We are back to the "what the f^&^%^&^ck do we do at 5?"..scenario. We aren't trading down.. I know caus I prayed for that too..so...

1. reach for Orakpo?
2. reach for Rey Rey?
3. reach for Beanie/ Moreno?
4. best OL available
5. M. Jenkins?
6. B.J. Raji ?

The intriguing pick in my opinion is the 2nd round....Sintim, Shonn Green, Donald Brown, Larry English? I love Sintim, Green, & Brown & couldn't argue with one of those. :pop:

Reach for Rey. By far the biggest need.

2nd round should be one of the centers.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:03 am

mattvan1 wrote:

See, I knew Thompson was on pace to get to 20 career sacks faster than Kam. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL