Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

D. Ward on Rome says Browns, Texans and Cardinals interested

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

D. Ward on Rome says Browns, Texans and Cardinals interested

Unread postby Crash Davis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:09 pm

"Appearing on the Jim Rome Show Wednesday, free agent Derrick Ward mentioned the Browns, Texans, and Cardinals as potential landing spots.
Ward offers rare three-down ability, fresh legs, and is coming off a season in which he averaged 5.6 YPC. All three clubs have enough cap room to meet Ward's $4M-per-year asking price."
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Re: D. Ward on Rome says Browns, Texans and Cardinals interested

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I like Ward, I think he would fit in nicely with JLew if we keep him and Harrison.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Ziner wrote:I like Ward, I think he would fit in nicely with JLew if we keep him and Harrison.

I like him too, sort of out of the Chester Taylor mode and coming from the same situation where there was a timeshare before the move. I'd be happy with a 3-headed monster of Ward (as the feature), Lewis, and Harrison in an Ahmad Bradshaw type role, minus the jail time.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Crash Davis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Ziner wrote:I like Ward, I think he would fit in nicely with JLew if we keep him and Harrison.

I like him too, sort of out of the Chester Taylor mode and coming from the same situation where there was a timeshare before the move. I'd be happy with a 3-headed monster of Ward (as the feature), Lewis, and Harrison in an Ahmad Bradshaw type role, minus the jail time.

If they can justify keeping those three in terms of the cap as they might have to ask 8 ball to restructure and they can keep all happy as far as carries. I foresee 8 ball (Lewis) in a Jerome Bettis type role in Bettis' last year or two.
Crash Davis

Unread postby Hydra Melee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:54 pm

All three clubs have enough cap room to meet Ward's $4M-per-year asking price."

Decent player, three suitors, reasonable asking price... y'all know where this is going, and it's not in the $4M a year ballpark.
"Paul Hubbard for the Practice Squad" publicity game: Contestants are run to Berea in the middle of the night and spray paint their name and address on a window at the Browns' office. First person arrested gets to make a public announcement outside the courthouse that Paul Hubbard must be given a spot on the Browns' practice squad for the 2009 season.
Hydra Melee

Favorite Player: David Veikune
Least Favorite Player: Random Steeler

Unread postby buddycowley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Agree that he'd be a good addition, though many people on "the board that will not be named" seem to think it is a terrible idea.

Unless the Browns are seriously planning on adding a young RB in this year's draft, bringing Ward in would be a nice deal for the team.

1. He doesn't have a lot of "mileage" on his legs, so the age issue isn't quite as big of a deal.

2. He can catch the ball out of the backfield, so he's useful in the new offense that is being brought in.

3. It wouldn't be a cap-changing type of deal. 4mil+ for him over three years? Tough to complain about that.

4. He'd act as a solid complement to Jerome Harrison, and Jamal Lewis if he's still around as well.
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Wouldn't mind the deal if at the right price. Not a must but would help us eliminate an area to even look at for the draft.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

i love Derrick Ward. did work for my fantasy team. he's a really good back and will start here and can get 1000+ yards. i really hope we get him
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby ProgRocker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Get him, and maybe the Browns can use that second rounder for another LB or even a WR.

I like the flexibility!
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Ward? Come on guys, Tomlinson and Larry Johnson are available! :hide:
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Gotribe31 wrote:Ward? Come on guys, Tomlinson and Larry Johnson are available! :hide:

oh God please don't try to start this up again :-( :sad: :(
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am

Ward is the perfect signing only if we restructure or release Jamal Lewis. We can't have both of the guys on the team can we?

I'd prefer not to draft a running back and stick to fixing our defense this off season. I want a top 10 defense for once.

The only running back I want is Beanie and we won't be their in the 2nd probably.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

Paul Brown
js2310

Favorite Player: Brady Quinn
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 am

js2310 wrote:Ward is the perfect signing only if we restructure or release Jamal Lewis. We can't have both of the guys on the team can we?

I'd prefer not to draft a running back and stick to fixing our defense this off season. I want a top 10 defense for once.

The only running back I want is Beanie and we won't be their in the 2nd probably.

Ward is said to be looking for a contract in the $4 mil per year range which is very doable and almost a bargain for a back of his caliber. If Eight Ball doesn't want to restructure and you know you can sign Ward send Eight Ball packing then. You can always pick up a Cedric Benson type during the season.
Last edited by Crash Davis on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:03 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:Ward is the perfect signing only if we restructure or release Jamal Lewis. We can't have both of the guys on the team can we?

Ward is said to be looking for a contract in the $4 mil per year range which is very doable and almost a bargain for a back of his caliber. If Eight Ball doesn't want to restructure and you know you can sign Ward send Eight Ball packing then. You can always pick up a Cedric Benson tyep during the season.

Benson's contract will be more than what Lewis is getting paid now. He probably thinks he had a great year and wants top 5 money. I think Cincinnati will resign which I am happy with. I know he destroyed us last year but who couldn't at the end of the year. We had nothing going the last 6 games of the years.

I would love to cut Lewis for Ward and have Ward and Harrison sharing carries. Draft a running back in 2010 draft. The only one that intrigues me is Beanie because of his size and speed but he will be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:49 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Ward is said to be looking for a contract in the $4 mil per year range which is very doable and almost a bargain for a back of his caliber. If Eight Ball doesn't want to restructure and you know you can sign Ward send Eight Ball packing then. You can always pick up a Cedric Benson tyep during the season.

Benson's contract will be more than what Lewis is getting paid now. He probably thinks he had a great year and wants top 5 money. I think Cincinnati will resign which I am happy with. I know he destroyed us last year but who couldn't at the end of the year. We had nothing going the last 6 games of the years.

Try reading that again. I said you can always pick up a Cedric Benson type during the season like Cincy did in week 9 never said I want or think Cedric Benson should be picked up or speculated anything about what he will make this year.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Try reading that again. I said you can always pick up a Cedric Benson type during the season like Cincy did in week 9 never said I want or think Cedric Benson should be picked up or speculated anything about what he will make this year.

Sorry I didn't know what work tyep was so I was assuming I thought you said "You can always pick up a Cedric Benson during the season.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:27 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Sorry I didn't know what work tyep was so I was assuming I thought you said "You can always pick up a Cedric Benson during the season.

That is what I said I'm just trying to figure out why you think what Benson gets this year has anything to do with what Cincy had to give up in $$$ and talent to get him during the season last year hence my point that you can always pick up a Benson type during the season if J Lewis refuses to reconfigure his contract and is let go.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

That is what I said I'm just trying to figure out why you think what Benson gets this year has anything to do with what Cincy had to give up in $$$ and talent to get him during the season last year hence my point that you can always pick up a Benson type during the season if J Lewis refuses to reconfigure his contract and is let go.

Well they gave up no talent because he was dropped and money probably nothing. I do agree we could pick up someone like that but I can't think of a running back on the fence like Benson was last year.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:38 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Well they gave up no talent because he was dropped and money probably nothing. I do agree we could pick up someone like that but I can't think of a running back on the fence like Benson was last year.

There will be a few to choose from as they are always some-Tatum Bell's, Mwelde Moore's and Rudi Johnson's available. We're not talking stud RB's anymore just someone to fill a role and give a breather to a Ward and a Harrison. It wouldn't cost much during the season if the need were to arise and J. Lew was no longer on the team and that's a good thing with our current cap situation.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Yeah true I do agree. One guy that comes to mind is a Cincinnati guy. Chris Perry might get cut this year. He had a terrible year with fumbles but he does have talent and could come for about nothing. I wouldn't mind considering that if we need a running back later in the season or something. He is just the first person that came to mind, not someone I am saying we should sign so don't be cramming down my throat about how bad of a pickup he would be.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

js2310 wrote:Yeah true I do agree. One guy that comes to mind is a Cincinnati guy. Chris Perry might get cut this year. He had a terrible year with fumbles but he does have talent and could come for about nothing. I wouldn't mind considering that if we need a running back later in the season or something. He is just the first person that came to mind, not someone I am saying we should sign so don't be cramming down my throat about how bad of a pickup he would be.

Understand that as I said earlier every year is a different situation so last year's Benson situation certainly is not this years nor would be the case for Chris Perry. I will say at least Benson showed potential in his career as did Tatum Bell so not sure Perry is in the same category but maybe Perry and say a Michael Bush who were both good in college but never got a full opportunity in the NFL to this point. Michael Bush I would be more interested in and with the Raiders you never know what could happen.
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:Yeah true I do agree. One guy that comes to mind is a Cincinnati guy. Chris Perry might get cut this year. He had a terrible year with fumbles but he does have talent and could come for about nothing. I wouldn't mind considering that if we need a running back later in the season or something. He is just the first person that came to mind, not someone I am saying we should sign so don't be cramming down my throat about how bad of a pickup he would be.

Understand that as I said earlier every year is a different situation so last year's Benson situation certainly is not this years nor would be the case for Chris Perry. I will say at least Benson showed potential in his career as did Tatum Bell so not sure Perry is in the same category but maybe Perry and say a Michael Bush who were both good in college but never got a full opportunity in the NFL to this point. Michael Bush I would be more interested in and with the Raiders you never know what could happen.

They would be retarded to release him. He showed promise this year and I think he will split carries with McFadden this year.

It is way too early to try and pick who will be released and the next Cedric Benson. I think the Bengals got lucky with him and I hope they do resign him to a large deal. I can see him being a bust next year.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:08 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

They would be retarded to release him. He showed promise this year and I think he will split carries with McFadden this year.

It is way too early to try and pick who will be released and the next Cedric Benson. I think the Bengals got lucky with him and I hope they do resign him to a large deal. I can see him being a bust next year.

Showed promise. Really.

104 carries, 269 yards for a promising 2.6 YPC with 5 fumbles. He was, without a doubt, the worst running back in the league last year.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:23 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Showed promise. Really.

104 carries, 269 yards for a promising 2.6 YPC with 5 fumbles. He was, without a doubt, the worst running back in the league last year.

Talking about Michael Bush showing promise not Chris Perry. I know Perry had a terrible year and that is why he could get cut and we would pick him up for nothing.

Season Team Rushing Receiving Fumbles
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2008 Oakland Raiders 15 0 95 421 4.4 67T 3 19 162 8.5 25 0 1 1

Those are some pretty good numbers and does show promise. Why would Chris Perry spilt carries with McFadden? They aren't even on the same team.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:10 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Like I said with Al Davis and the Raiders you never know as Al tried to get rid of Bush last year during the year. Maybe he does it a year later.

Report: Raiders may deal either Fargas or Bush

"Comment
October 13
Contra Costa Times

"The Oakland Raiders are ready to trade either Justin Fargas or Michael Bush, according to a report on CBS Sports this morning.

CBS analyst Charley Casserly reported that the Raiders, who have three solid running backs in Fargas, Bush and rookie Darren McFadden, would be willing to deal either Fargas or Bush. Casserly said that Bush, in his second year from Louisville, would be the most likely to be dealt."
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Like I said with Al Davis and the Raiders you never know as Al tried to get rid of Bush last year during the year. Maybe he does it a year later.

"Comment
October 13
Contra Costa Times

"The Oakland Raiders are ready to trade either Justin Fargas or Michael Bush, according to a report on CBS Sports this morning.

CBS analyst Charley Casserly reported that the Raiders, who have three solid running backs in Fargas, Bush and rookie Darren McFadden, would be willing to deal either Fargas or Bush. Casserly said that Bush, in his second year from Louisville, would be the most likely to be dealt."

Well lets not worry about getting a back in the draft or Ward and get him.

I'm sure Ward is still atop of our list. I've seen it listed everywhere today.

I would be happy with either. We need to upgrade from Lewis though. Some people blame the offensive line for not making large enough holes but you have to be blind to think he didn't lose a step.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

"Comment
October 13
Contra Costa Times

Well lets not worry about getting a back in the draft or Ward and get him.

I'm sure Ward is still atop of our list. I've seen it listed everywhere today.

I would be happy with either. We need to upgrade from Lewis though. Some people blame the offensive line for not making large enough holes but you have to be blind to think he didn't lose a step.

I agree once again. We have too many other needs to address and I realize its just a starting point but I would be willing to pay the $4 mil Ward mentioned when he referenced playing for the Browns, Texans or Cardinals.

I have had this feeling for awhile that Ward should be the guy to go out and get this offseason

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10441&hilit=ward
Crash Davis

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:37 pm

js2310 wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Showed promise. Really.

Talking about Michael Bush showing promise not Chris Perry. I know Perry had a terrible year and that is why he could get cut and we would pick him up for nothing.

Season Team Rushing Receiving Fumbles
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
2008 Oakland Raiders 15 0 95 421 4.4 67T 3 19 162 8.5 25 0 1 1

Those are some pretty good numbers and does show promise. Why would Chris Perry spilt carries with McFadden? They aren't even on the same team.

My bad, didn't read the previous 2 posts clearly enough.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL