Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

World Baseball Classic

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:13 pm

I just cant stop not caring about this thing.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:17 am

I thought I wouldn't give a rats ass about this thing. Started watching it, and I am hooked.

If you are a casual baseball fan (i.e. football and/or basketball are higher on your list of sport love), you'll not be interested in this tourney. But, if you really like baseball, then this tourney should appeal to you. The games are just fantastic.

The problem the "Americans" are having with this thing is we are so used to just rooting for our team, and we also really have no experience nor care about world-wide tourneys. These other countries live for these things....we just live for what goes on inside our borders (Stanley Cup, World Series, Super Bowl, etc).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:18 pm

It is just like every other tournament in other sports. The American teams do not play fundamental games. They rely on talent more then execution, which means we will continue to struggle when playing teams that are fundamentally sound. I think baseball magnifies playing the right way more than most sports. You have to be able to do "little" things to compete against teams that do the "little" things. They don't matter in MLB as much because very few teams play the game fundamentally. In fact, I can only think of one team that year in and year out does things like advance runners by hitting behind them, sac bunt, don't give up extra bases to trail runnners and so on. That would be the Atlanta Braves. Coincidentaly, they have won their division for like 72 straight years. Does anyone know if any of the baseball stat sites compute things like this?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:12 pm

So what happens if the Dominican Republic (if it loses to Venezuela tonight) and Team USA are both eliminated in pool play? Is this good or bad for the WBC?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:10 pm

So what happens if the Dominican Republic (if it loses to Venezuela tonight) and Team USA are both eliminated in pool play? Is this good or bad for the WBC?

I would have to say bad. For it's first year of existence, I would think the more star power in the finals the better. Plus, a big part of whether this thing makes it or not is the American opinion on it.

If the US flames out, people here will care even less for the 2nd one, if there is one.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 pm

I believe the success of the tourney has in the other host countries has already caused the 2009 Classic to be green-lighted. This might just have been one of the announcers talking before the info was released, but one of them definitely said the decision was made and their will be a second one.

I think it is a real possibility that the second one takes place mostly outside of the US. If this means even more of the MLB players back out so be it. I don't think the foreign players will care where it is. They relish the oppurtunity to play FOR their country.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:20 pm

D.R. one hits a very disappointing Vene offense to advance to the semi-finals, where they will match-up with the winner of the Puerto Rico/Cuba winner. If it is Cuba, there is a ton of bad blood left over from their game the other day.

Japan beats Mexico. Team USA needs a win over Mexico, and a Korea win over Japan to advance. If Japan beats Korea all 3 will be 2-1, and we will be back to the runs allowed. With Korea putting up a 7 piece against us, we will need a high scoring affair if Japan beats Korea. Team USA has given up 10 runs to the 2 teams they will be tied with. Korea has given up 3 and Japan 4. If Japan beats Korea, we need them to score 8 runs.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:42 pm

You got it. US needs a win over Mexico, and a Korea win or a Japan win where they score 8 or more runs.

How lame would it be to have Japan and Korea in the semi-finals playing for one of the spots in the championship game? Blah. Talk about deflating the WBC balloon. This thing NEEDS the US in the finals. Period. It doesn't matter who they play in the finals, whether it be the DR, Cuba or PR.....either one would be an epic matchup.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:56 am

Wow. Two great games tonight.

Cuba beats PR 4-3....and the fireworks last in the game with the Cuba team and the manager with several blown calls were great. The umps did everything they could to screw Cuba, but they still prevailed. A Cuba/DR semi final match will be great, and is the true championship game.

Right now, Korea and Japan are in the 7th 0-0. Looks like the US pretty much needs a Korea win now.....no way Japan is scoring 8 runs tonight in a win. So, go Korea.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:07 am

"One hit, that's all we got was one god damn hit"

"You can't say god damn on the air"

"Oh who cares, nobody's listening anyway"

Go Korea!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 am

If I am Korea, do I really want to win this game? What would you rather do, play Japan again, or face Jake Peavy?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:25 am

I think Korea hates Japan just as much as Ohio State fans hate Michigan. They are playing all out to win this one. I'm staying up for the conclusion of this game......2-0 Korea bottom of the 8th, come on.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:31 pm

Unbelievable. Another USA flameout on the international stage.

Vernon Wells, 1st pitch? Mexican pitchers had thrown balls on 9 of the last 10 pitches.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:34 pm

How shocking is this? Team USA loses to Mexico and misses advancing to the semi-finals. Why? Because they still can't play situational baseball. 1st and 2nd, 0 outs. Michael Young decides to not bunt a fastball right down the middle and Jeff Francour gets picked off second base. 2 on and 1 out in the top of 9 and Vernon Wells swings at the first pitch from a new reliever and gets jammed, hitting into the Classic ending 6-4-3 double play.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:35 pm

Awful at bat there by Wells. But, his AB was a microcosm of the USA's inability to produce with guys on base the entire tournament.

We scored 8 freaking runs in the 2nd round in 3 games. Wow.

I'm actually pissed with this loss...and embarassed. The FInals were handed to the US, and they blew it.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:38 pm

With the exception of Lasordas improbable gold medal run with that group of kids a couple years ago, America has had just an awful run in these international competitions.

The American hockey team is an embarrassment. And the basketball squads have been as well the last 5 years.

How long till the World Cup?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:39 pm

Fuck soccer.
consigliere

Previous