Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Best ball park you've ever been to?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Best ball park you've ever been to?

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 pm

a few of my friends and i are planning to road trip to most of the ballparks this summer and next. i was wondering which one are really good architecture wise, vantage points, food, etc. last summer we went to Cincinnati's Great American BP, PNC Park, and Citizens Bank in Philly. Great American was my favorite just because of it was a beautiful scene to watch a game, great venue
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Re: Best ball park you've ever been to?

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:04 pm

I really like Citizens Bank Park in Philly. I lived in Philly for 3 years and I've seen probably a dozen or so games there. One thing I strongly dislike about their park though is how far it is away from everything (bars, eateries, downtown, etc.) But just going off the park itself I'd say Citizens Bank.

Oriole Park at Camden Yards is also a real good park. I saw Rafael Palmeiro's last game before his positive steroid test (he played a couple more after his suspension). I had heard on ESPN earlier in the week that they were scheduled to do a Rafael Palmeiro Appreciation day in mid-August, so I was surprised when they ran a video montage to him between innings of the July 31st game we were at. The next day I flip on ESPNews and they'd just announced he'd tested positive.

A friend of mine who's been to every stadium says PNC in pittsburgh is the best he's been to.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Eckersley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:06 pm

The Jake ranks right up there with the best of them IMO.

Other faves....Ballpark at Arlington (or whatever it's called), Turner Field & Fenway (for the history)

Worst....Oakland Coliseum, Marlins Stadium, Tropicana & Humphrey Dome...watching baseball in a dome sucks!

Never been to PNC, but I've heard it's great.
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby Stu » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

jacobs field.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Squints » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:25 pm

As much as I hate everything Pittsburgh, PNC is a beauty. I went there in '03- the game had just about everything,Fiday night, 2 rain delays, 14 innings. Everybody played, CC with a pinch-hit infield single, BA ran for him Randall Simon with a walk-off home run. But the ballpark is great- we sat, up until extra innings, in the upper deck, behind home plate (my personal favorite place to sit). The view of the city is perfect, probably the highlight, the architecture is pretty cool as well. Down side- the home product is AAAA and there are inbred in the stands, wearing more Steelers gear than Pirates- this was in '03, before Big Ben and their title run, just imagine what it is now. They are quick with their "Browns suck" quotes when they noticed myself and my wife's Tribe gear and when the Tribe scored. The upgrade from Three Rivers to PNC is just, if not more of an upgrade from Municipal to the Jake.

Others that I have enjoyed, besides Jacobs Field- Tiger, Fenway and Yankee all for their histories, even as a Yankee hater, I was impressed and in awe of Monument Park. Tiger was a bit odd, but cool nonetheless.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Jacobs Field is certainly my favorite park. If you combine location (downtown), architecture, and team performance, it might be the best park in the bigs. It doesn’t have to much nostalgia, but no new park does. Some newer parks have easier ways to walk around the stadium and still see the game and have more/better places to stand and watch the game.

PNC is prolly the other best park I’ve been to.
I was surprised by the Ballpark in Arlington. It’s actually a pretty nice park. It’s in the middle of nowhere, though. And it was like watching a ballgame from inside an oven.

Citizens was ok. It was laid out better than St. Louis’. It’s also way out from downtown.
Anaheim was surprising. It was an ok park, just in the middle of nowhere.
Shea was surprisingly not horrible. Way out and no shade so it would be miserable on a sunny day. But not horrible.

Of Fenway, Yankee Stadium and Wrigley, I’d rate them: Old Tiger Stadium, Wrigley, Fenway and Yankee Stadium last. If it wasn’t YANKEE STADIUM it would be a dump. It reminded me of the lake front stadium (with good cause).
Really liked Tiger Stadium. I don’t like the new park, and really think they went backwards.

New Comisky was better and worse than I thought it would be. Looked cool from far away. Looked like a parking garage up close. Was an ok place to watch a game, but we weren’t able to walk around at all.

Miller Park and Skydome are what they are.

RFK, Three Rivers and Riverfront Stadium suck(ed) for baseball.
OpusTPenguin

Unread postby Tribegrl85 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:23 pm

The Jake is obviously my favorite..

PNC-Love this park. The view to centerfield is really nice with the bridge in the background

Kaufmann Stadium is a great older park. I wish I could go when they finish the renovations. The fountains were really cool, but the are adding bleacher seats for the first time.

Comerica- for some reason I didn't like this park, maybe its because I hate the Tigers..

Went to Arlington when I was really young. I remember the view was amazing.

Anaheim's stadium-ok, there was some areas that would block views to the field.
Tribegrl85

Favorite Player: Ryan Garko
Least Favorite Player: 2009 Indians Bullpen

Unread postby MTF » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:34 pm

Progressive Field is right up there. Camden Yard is too. ATT Park is another favorite, in fact it might be my number one. PNC is an unbelievable place too.

I dislike Arlington and the Seattle ballparks, and also am no fan of the new Tiger Stadium or the new Comiskey/Cellular Park.

Of the old parks, I prefer Fenway above all of them, followed by Wrigley. The old Yankee Stadium would be OK, except the Yankees play there and that weighs on your mind.

Parks I would blow up, because they are too small, are Citizens (very nice on the inside) and Great American (though I've never been to this one). I just think ballparks should be fair to pitchers.
MTF

Unread postby Cease » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Tribegrl85 wrote:Kaufmann Stadium is a great older park. I wish I could go when they finish the renovations. The fountains were really cool, but the are adding bleacher seats for the first time.

Visited Kaufman for a late August game, sat through a severe electrical storm delay that rolled away into sky in left field for final 3 innings. It was amazing. Highly under-noted stadium, especially if you like royal blue and green like I do.

My best visited: Wrigley, Kaufmann, PacBell Park, Fenway, Jake
Tier 2: Safeco, Miller Park, The Cell, Citizen's Bank, Old Tiger Stadium, Comerica, Great American
Tier 3: Riverfront, Cleveland Stadium, The Vet, Skydome

Bottom of the Barrel: Tropicana Field. I mean wow, it sucks.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm

I've only been to a few, but I would add or ask about the knowledge of the fans of the home team, when visiting these ballparks. I hate to admit, that Fenway had the most interesting and knowledgeable spectators to share the game with. There was great strategy discussion between rows, and some real interesting arguments. Maybe it was the weekend, I was there, but it was one aspect that really stuck out for me, added to the overall experience of attending a game there.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 pm

PNC was awsome, beautiful view on that shitty river

But i have to say even though i hate them, yankee stadium was the experiance of a lifetime, the fans there are out of this world
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Camden Yards is actually pretty nice. One of the first "throwback" parks, its in one of the few good areas of Baltimore, and they let you bring food in from the outside which is nice. My first time there, I brought in 2 sausage sandwitches, a burger and a giant pretzel from the vendors off the street. Got a little carried away, sure, but I probably saved myself $30 from what it would have cost inside.

Park itself has good sightlines. I have been in about 6 different seats over the past few years, none of them bad.

Jake is still my favorite of course, but Camden isn't bad.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:15 pm

WarAdmiral wrote:I've only been to a few, but I would add or ask about the knowledge of the fans of the home team, when visiting these ballparks. I hate to admit, that Fenway had the most interesting and knowledgeable spectators to share the game with. There was great strategy discussion between rows, and some real interesting arguments. Maybe it was the weekend, I was there, but it was one aspect that really stuck out for me, added to the overall experience of attending a game there.

Was it a weeknight game? I was there on a weekend last year...nothing but Massholes.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Stu » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:00 pm

oh and comerica sucks... what a piece of garbage stadium that is. forget about feeling close to the action. just stay home and watch it on tv folks.
Stu

Unread postby BDFD » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I've only been to four, including Cleveland. The Jake will always be my fav but of the other three Fenway Park was easily the best. The place still smelled like 1920s grease and cigar smoke. It was awesome. The Fenway Frank was pretty lame though (it was hyped-up to me)...

The other parks I went to were Enron (er, Tropicana) Field in Houston (twice) and I was in Atlanta at a Braves game last year. It reminded me of a taller Jake. Nice park.

FWIW, I went to a Hawks/Cavs game in Atlanta and saw a Celtics/Bucks game at Whatever The Hell Bank Garden in Boston. That's it...
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm

PNC is a beautiful ballpark, but most of the time, it's a mausoleum.
But as far as "away" parks go, best experience in watching a game was at Busch Stadium during the time McGwire was on a homerun binge. The crowd, from inning one to inning nine was into the game, best fan support I have seen.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm

Gotribe31 wrote:
WarAdmiral wrote:I've only been to a few, but I would add or ask about the knowledge of the fans of the home team, when visiting these ballparks. I hate to admit, that Fenway had the most interesting and knowledgeable spectators to share the game with. There was great strategy discussion between rows, and some real interesting arguments. Maybe it was the weekend, I was there, but it was one aspect that really stuck out for me, added to the overall experience of attending a game there.

Was it a weeknight game? I was there on a weekend last year...nothing but Massholes.

It was over 10 years ago. Damn time flies. Looking back, it was during the week.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Brian » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 pm

We take The Jake for granted. It really has it all. The feel of the old ballparks with the amenities of the new ones.

Outside of it, PNC and Kauffman are great. I'm glad someone else mentioned Kauffman. If you have a chance, go see a game there. It's like this wonderful little piece of heaven that nobody knows about. It feels like a minor league ballpark...but in a good way. And you're watching major league baseball...at least from the team the Royals are playing.

With the upgrades, Kauffman is my second favorite. PNC would probably be the best if it didn't have that "sitting in a funeral parlor" feel.
Brian

Favorite Player: XXX
Least Favorite Player: XXX

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Progressive Field is truly the greatest ballpark in America, as far as watching a game goes. Obviously, Yankee, Fenway and Wrigley win on tradition.

Kansas City had a vary nice ballpark, the fountains are truly something you have to see.

I'm hoping to make it to a Tigers, Reds and Chi Sox game (away from home) to check out those venues.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby jameseboy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 pm

I have been to quite a few and none beat the Jake. Wrigley is awesome in its own way although not the same without Harry. Worst major league field I have been to by far is Tampa Bay.
jameseboy

Unread postby statmasta » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:46 pm

Turner Field was awesome. And their massive HD video screen is something to see.

PNC is nice. Small and cozy, right on the river and has a great view of the city. But the concourses are tiny, even though barely anybody goes to games it's still crowded (at least that's what I remember from being there in '03)

I didn't mind Tropicana Field, either. I didn't think it was that bad. At least it's a baseball dome, and not a multi-sport venue like the Metrodome. It pretty much feels like a regular baseball stadium with a roof on top instead of a regular dome.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby carnegie44115 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:50 am

Last summer visited the Nationals ballpark, the Phillies ballpark and Camden Yards. I used to live near Baltimore and so I went to Camden quite a bit, love the place and I just have to say, hands down it is the best ballpark I've been to so far.
Tribe Fan since 1995!

And...

Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
carnegie44115

Favorite Player: Travis Hafner
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby slegend » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:02 am

Best? I would vote for the Jake, simply because of the night/day difference it had on watching baseball in Cleveland...

The new park in DC is nice, but the team is so pathetic. It would rank #2 on the list of my ballparks. I would put Crackmore #3 on the park list.
slegend
Attention Whore

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby RCB1948 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:06 am

Wrigley
RCB1948

Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 am

Been to Shea, New Comiskey, Pac Bell, Nats new Stadium (RFK also), and the Prog.

Nats new Stadium is great. Love the setup. Very open. Cool restaurant/bar out in CF. Great place to watch baseball.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:33 am

Really liked Kaufmann and old Tiger

Not so much, Tropicana & SkyDome
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby cb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm

I have been to Progressive Field (of course, my fav), Wrigley (tradition and atmosphere is great), Camden Yards (beautiful park- not a big fan of the city of Baltimore), new park in St. Louis (very nice- they were just starting to build the restaurants around it), Nats stadium (beautiful! I agree with Swerb about the restaurant in CF- loved the presidential race with Teddy, etc. also. Also got to see David Gregory, NBC correspondant at a game. They also have A/C concourse-which was great. Very nice ushers as well, great view of Capital in the background!), Citizens Bank (nice, loved the Liberty Bell that swings during HR's- only got to see one tho!) and Dodger Stadium (loved the view "Go Blue" !! Dodger dogs were great! And loved the pictures of the players on the outside of the stadium walls)
cb

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:18 pm

The Jake is a great stadium, my favorite of the ballparks in existance right now. Just wish we would have set it up so more bars & restaurants surrounded it like Columbus did with Nationwide Arena.

As much as it pains me to say it, I liked PNC as well. Beautiful set up, good location/view, and is smaller than most parks I have seen. They did a nice job capturing the charm & feel of the old ballparks while giving the modern amenities.

Camden Yards was nice and the whole market set up they have on the street behind the outfield stands is just great.

Great American is nice and the view of the Ohio River and KY is great. Really, really high and steep upper deck though. And you absolutely fry in the summertime.

Comerica is too big and just feels detached from the game. Same with Skydome. They are okay but something is definitely missing there.

The worst big league stadium I visited was Veterans Stadium in Philly. It was like sitting in a dog bowl. No charm, no breeze, dirty and cramped. I wasnt a fan at all.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby The Brook » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Dodger Stadium- great views all around the stadium, but the San Gabriel Mountains behind the outfield pavillion is just a perfect fit. Weather is usually awesome unless its too hot. Dodger Dogs are the bomb. Simple, but a great setting, and my favorite.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby Stu » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:45 pm

jack_tors wrote:The Jake is a great stadium, my favorite of the ballparks in existance right now. Just wish we would have set it up so more bars & restaurants surrounded it like Columbus did with Nationwide Arena.

the space is there, theirs just no customers to support them.
Stu

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 pm

jack_tors wrote:Great American is nice and the view of the Ohio River and KY is great. Really, really high and steep upper deck though. And you absolutely fry in the summertime.

Great American is beautiful but ya we went to a noon game on the hottest day of the summer and got absolutely baked. it was triple digits by the third inning, thank God for the spray zone, a life saver
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

jordan kramer

Unread postby ThisIsNat » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:42 am

My goal is to make it to every stadium in MLB, and I'm over halfway there. When I go, I really try to be objective because of course I'd rather be in Cleveland watching a game than anywhere because my Tribe plays there. Objectively though, here are my opinions...

There is NO doubt in my mind that for the complete baseball experience, you will never beat Wrigley. It's amazing, and the purist in me loved sitting in the bleachers on a day game, eating Wrigley dogs and soaking in the tradition. I've been to Fenway, old Yankee Stadium, old Tiger Stadium, and others but Wrigley stands alone.

Of the new parks that I have been to, the top three (in order) are the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Camden Yards, and Jacobs Field. They are beautiful, have great sight lines, knowledgeable fans who actually wear team gear to the park, and a great combination of new perks while keeping the traditions of the game alive. The not goes to Busch for some awesome little quirks. They built part of the stadium over top of the old stadium site, and have lines in various places in the park telling you exactly what part of the old stadium you would be standing in. They also have a store that sells pieces of the game from both stadiums...old used bases, pieces of the wall, scoreboard numbers, etc. Another cool thing is they kept the two scoreboards from the last game at old Busch and they are hanging in the concourse. I love cities that acknowledge that tradition is a huge part of baseball.

Other parks that are in the top ten are Houston, Atlanta and Texas.

Parks that were disappointing were the Nats' new stadium in DC (they promised great views of the city, what you actually look at is the parking garage and construction of a new planned downtown community that's going up by the river) and PNC park in Pittsburgh (WAY too many coffee stands, Outback Steakhouses, etc. that completely took away from the ballpark feel) although I did catch a ball there so that was fun.

Coors field has kind of a cool thing...there is a row of purple seats (most of theirs are green) at the spot that is exactly a mile high. I like personal touches like this. Also, in Seattle, there is a stand that always serves the food specialty of the visiting team. (Cheesesteaks when Philly is in town, crabcakes for the O's, etc.) Another cool local quirk is in Baltimore...Boog Powell is often in the area behind the outfield, serving his own joint's ribs. Can't beat that service!

One other thing I have tried to do is mix in some opening day trips. I love to see the party that a city throws on Opening Day. I've been to Cleveland many times, St. Louis, Texas, Houston, Seattle, Cincinnati, Baltimore and DC. Of those cities, three actually throw street parties and have cool specials in local bars, activities downtown, etc. and they are St. Louis, Cleveland and Baltimore. Very fun experiences!
ThisIsNat

Favorite Player: Bernie/Omar
Least Favorite Player: T.O.

Unread postby metz33 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:24 am

I have been to the following parks:

Municipal Stadium, Progressive Field, Tiger Stadium, 3 Rivers, Fenway, Riverfront, Great American Ballpark, The Ballpark at Arlington, Comisky (the old one), Wrigley, Milwaukee County Stadium, Fulton County Stadium, Jack Murphy Stadium, Cameron Yards...

Fenway was hands down the best atmosphere, The Jake is a close second.....but the history at Fenway and the Nostalgia was awesome...I went to a few games in '96 when the tribe was in town there (I was playing in the Cape Cod summer league-our team owner gave me tickets a few times)...The red seat in right field where Ted Williams hit the longball was so neat!

Can't wait to get back to Fenway sometime real soon.
OSU Baseball Alumni
metz33

Unread postby TribeNut » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:50 am

1. Camden Yards- great location, great ballpark. The first new generation stadium and still the best.

2. Wrigley Field- location, location, location. Being in the middle of a neighborhood gave the ballpark such a wonderful feel. One of the best atmospheres I have ever been in at a game, and this was back when the Cubs sucked.

3. Progressive Field- seeing it while driving into downtown is always a treat. Great sightlines. Nestled in nicely to the gateway to the city.

4. PNC- Gorgeous ballpark, great location. Far and away the nicest ushers I have ever dealt with in a ballpark. If only the Pirates weren't a joke.

Honorable mention- old Tigers Stadium. I only saw it at the end, when it was a dump in the middle of a bad neighborhood. That place had to be awesome back in its' day, though- the centerpiece of the area. Man, the potential that site had even up until the end. Kind of a travesty that the Tigers didn't try to mimick that stadium in any way.
TribeNut
Late Inning Defensive Replacement

Favorite Player: Lou Marson
Least Favorite Player: Aj Pierzinski

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 am

Municipal Stadium
The Jake
RiverFront
PNC
Tiger Stadium
Shea
Cambden Yards
New Comiskey
Wrigley
Kaufmann
Minute Maid
SF (Can't keep up with what it's called today)
Bank One (see above)
Nationals Park
Turner Field

The Jake is outstanding. Agree with Washington's new place as well as Cambden, PNC and Kaufmann. I really like Minute Maid park. I saw an open air game there one night and it was quirky but beautiful. And incorporating Union Station was a cool idea too.

Most visually appealing is SF. Just beautiful as far as sight lines and backdrop.

Hated Shea and New Comiskey and Bank One felt like watching a ballgame inside a Ford plant.

Old Tiger Stadium was amazing as well.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby KChmura » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Comerica Park: Horrible! I hated it there and Ive been to like 4 games there. Parking was hard for us there. The seats were too steep. The main giftshop was on like the 3rd level at the time... they may have changed that like everything else in the park.

Cinergy Field: Thank God they got rid of that peace of junk. We got so lost on how to get to it that we went back and forth into Kentucky 3-4 times.

Jacobs Field: BEST STADIUM EVER!
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby JodyGerutsGhost » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Color me jealous.

I've only gone to The Jake and Rogers Centre, while my brother went to both that and Yankees Stadium during the final season. I've always wanted to see a game in Pittsburgh and Kansas City, hell anywhere.

Rogers Centre is pretty nice, but viewing wise, it's mizz. I went to two games in Toronto, one sitting up in the 500s (which, for the record, is really fucking far), and a Indians-Blue Jays game in 2006 in the outfield. The stadium itself is nice and clean, and the ushers aren't dicks there. But unless the dome is open, you don't get to see the Toronto skyline.

Cleveland, well, you guys know what it is. It's brilliant.

Though I've gone to a bunch of Buffalo Bisons games at Dunn Tire (now Coca Cola) park. Very nice ballpark and sitting on top section at home plate is the best view around.
JodyGerutsGhost

Favorite Player: Anze Kopitar
Least Favorite Player: Derek Jeter

Unread postby papacass » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 am

Stu wrote:oh and comerica sucks... what a piece of garbage stadium that is. forget about feeling close to the action. just stay home and watch it on tv folks.

I'm going to PNC this year, and hopefully the Trop in Tampa, so I might get a smorgasbord of the good and bad.

I've been to Turner Field twice, which is a solid place to see a game, but not really comfortable walking distance from the hot spots in downtown Atlanta. But that's why they make shuttles. Atlanta fans get a bum rap for being wishy-washy and not very knowledgeable, but they're passionate about the Braves.

I've also been to Comerica. It's a nice park in and of itself, lots of bells and whistles, but the game experiences I've had haven't been that great. Parking is a nightmare. $20 to park anywhere reasonably close, and most of the parking is contained in randomly-placed lots around that section of downtown Detroit. I've been aggressively panhandled in both Atlanta and Detroit, but it happens way more often in Detroit. If you park at any of the bars west of I-75, you do so at your own risk, because the instant you cross west of 75, Detroit becomes seriously scary ghetto. And that's during afternoon games when you're walking back to your car in broad daylight. I've never been to a night game at Comerica, nor do I want to.

The game atmosphere is OK, but I've been there for a couple of games on summer Sundays, and the number of obnoxious drunks is very noticeable. I went to a game with a large group last year, and one of the girls in our group was constantly hit on by this drunk slob in a "Tapout" shirt for most of the first six innings. Then the other guys in his group started throwing things around at other spectators, like bits of ice and stuff. Security eventually had to yank them out of the seating bowl and line them up, police-style, in the concourse tunnel.

Three years ago, I went to a Indians-Tigers game in a Tribe T-shirt and hat. This was '06 when the Tigers were good for the first time in decades and the Indians weren't so good, so I expected a certain amount of razzing. But this tatted-up guy sitting four rows ahead of me just kept taunting me and taunting me to the point where it became harassment. I just left the seating bowl because, quite frankly, it was a 90-degree day and I didn't feel like getting security involved.

That's the other thing about Comerica. The upper deck is a frying pan on summer days. Absolutely no shade.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby KnightWhoSaysGIH » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:04 am

Wrigley, and it's not particularly close. Although going to a playoff game in Yankee Stadium was fun.

It's the anti-Metrodome.
KnightWhoSaysGIH

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta at SS
Least Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta at SS

Unread postby Mr. X » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:41 am

Wrigley is probably my favorite, along with the Jake. Sitting in the upper deck of the old Tiger Stadium was fun too. GABP in Cincy is nice. Don't really like the new Comiskey. Never made it to Yankee Stadium unfortunately.
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 am

I went to the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis last year and that place is awesome.

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:31 am

I think Enron became minute maid. Wrong Juice.

As for me, I completely agree with the Fenway comments; I live about an hour and a half south, and the ballpark is a real joy to go to. My only beef is with the parking/travel....you basically have to take a second mortgage to afford parking or walk 20 minutes. This is one of the reasons I love the jake....2.50$ ride to tower city, and then walk. It's cheap, it's fast, it's indoors and it's fun. EVERY CITY SHOULD HAVE THIS.

Old yankee stadium was fun for the history, NYS for the hubris. Chavez Ravine was old but had pretty good fans (when I was there) The Vet was neat because it was like watching games in a bowl; completely circled in. Citizen's bank is a really well made park and is very enjoyable....+1 on the comment about it being too far away. They really segregate their sports complex down there.

I need to get down to Camden this summer, i've heard really good things about it.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby El Heffe » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:04 am

A couple of buddies and I did a road trip corss country in college and a saw a bunch of parks along the way. Here's the ones we saw:

Oakland-remind me of Muni, not in a good way
Pac Bell/Monster PArk- Awesome stadium, one of my favs.
Dodger Stadium- Meh.It's true about Dodger fans, though, show up in thw 3rd and leave in the 7th
BankOne/Dbacks-Not bad, nice dome b/c you can't play ball in 100 degree heat
Coors Field- Vastly underrated in my opinion, really nice park, easy to get to, and good scene
Kaufman Stadium- Ugh
Wrigley- Awesome scene, good interaction with Cubs fans. If you go, try to make a Wednesday afternoon day game, absolute blast
Old Milwaukee County Stadium- What was cool was it was "Take your photo on the field with the players" and I got a photo of me and Richie Sexson right after he was traded, he looked like he cried a little when he saw my Tibe hat
Comerica- Awful. Too much other crap going on and way too cavenrous

I'm going to Seattle this summer, and hoping to see Safeco, heard good things.

Since I live in Boston, I've gone to Fenway several times and I think everyone should see it once for the history. But the damn thing is so old, it's like perfume on a pig at this point. And Sox fans can be freakin' obnoxious.

All my friends who have been to the Jake rate it as one of there favorite parks.
El Heffe

Favorite Player: Bob Golic
Least Favorite Player: Welkahh!!!!

Unread postby papacass » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 am

Gradysmanldy wrote:This is one of the reasons I love the jake....2.50$ ride to tower city, and then walk. It's cheap, it's fast, it's indoors and it's fun. EVERY CITY SHOULD HAVE THIS.

Agreed. You can get on Cleveland's leaders and former leaders for a lot of things, but the way they integrated the ballpark and arena into the surrounding downtown area is among the best setups in the nation. The walkway from Tower City is a stroke of genius. It's even better for Cavs games when it's 10 degrees and icy. You can walk from your car to The Q and never set foot outside.
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:52 am

Peeker643 wrote:Hated Shea and New Comiskey and Bank One felt like watching a ballgame inside a Ford plant.

No better food anywhere than at "The Jane", though Peeks. (This despite offering only yellow mustard.)
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:03 pm

I've been to a few other than the Jake. The Jake is still hands-down the best gameday experience of anywhere I've been -- great fans, lots of energy, etc.

Comerica Park -- I went to college in Michigan, and we always had $10-15 game deals (ticket, bus trip over and back, food) in the early 2000s, when the Tigers blew. Nice stadium, though to me it seems a lot like they tried to rip off the design of the Jake. Not in a great area of town, as others have mentioned. Nothing too special about the stadium, in my opinion.

Coors Field -- Same things that others have had to say about it in this thread. The exterior of the stadium is something else, too. Very cool.

Safeco Field -- Pretty cool stadium. The roof is something to see, completely silent when they close it during the game. It doesn't keep out the cold, though. Went on opening day last year and there was snow blowing in. Most areas of the ballpark give you a sweet view of the Seattle skyline. In a pretty good area of town, public transportation is easy to use. The food is good. Red Hook beer on tap, you can get sushi, and the famous garlic fries from Kidd Valley (though it does make the place stink). Always the benefit of the surrounding city -- mountains, water, good nightlife. Great place to spend a few days. Also, pretty funny that there are usually a lot of Asian visitors in for the game and they go crazy for Ichiro...screaming his name, camera flashes everytime he's at the plate.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Oktane wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Hated Shea and New Comiskey and Bank One felt like watching a ballgame inside a Ford plant.

No better food anywhere than at "The Jane", though Peeks. (This despite offering only yellow mustard.)

WRONG! go to PNC and eat Primanti Brothers at the park. it will change your life

jordan kramer

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 pm

One of the worst sandwiches I ever had was from Primanti Brothers.

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Only ever been to The Jake

and only ever want to
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:18 pm

+1 on Shea/Colliseum in Oakland....man are those huge, old, crappy ballparks. Although new Shea opens this year, looking forward to seeing that. It's always cool to see the new ones.

I can't believe Pittsburgh could be that enjoyable.....do all the inbred hillbillies move out of town in the summer to someplace more dark and miserable?

I've heard the same things about Comerica, too....that it's just ghetto, ghetto, ghetto, ghetto, BALLPARK, ghetto, ghetto...

Cass: it's also *great* to be able to walk out of the stadium and have all the bars and restaurants within walking distance. Vastly underrated part of the transportation.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB