Text Size

The Rumble Room

Margarito: BANNED One Year For Illegal Wraps

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Margarito: BANNED One Year For Illegal Wraps

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:04 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

No fights in America, one year. Column speculates he will fight in Mexico in the summer.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Margarito: BANNED One Year For Illegal Wraps

Unread postby Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:44 pm

At least a year.
He will have to file for reinstatement when the time comes.
We might not ever see him fight again.

Unread postby Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Great article and info here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

He's a cheater and I hope he never fights again.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:15 pm

Great column from Iole. He is the best.

Arum needs to run away from this.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:56 pm

If Arum has Margarito fight in Mexico, he is a bigger piece of shit than I already thought he was.

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:39 pm

This is unbelievable.

I’m with you Swerb, Arum needs to repudiate Margarito and Capetillo immediately and cease involvement in any of their fights going forward…in Mexico or down the road in the US…as well as voiding his contract with Top Rank.

This is bad for boxing as a whole and can not be accepted by anyone in the boxing community…regardless of how they feel about Margarito (or how much $ they stand to make off of him).
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:18 pm

I hate Arum. Met him once and he was a prick.
Margarito didn't do anything wrong?
Using those bricks in a sparring session?
The whole thing makes me sick.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:32 pm

Will be veeeery interesting to see if Arum continues to stand behind Margarito. Even more interesting to see if he follows through with his promise to put a Top Rank PPV show on in Tijuana. I'd love to see a fighter like Pavlik threaten to dump Arum if he doesn't cut ties with Cheatarito.

One would think that is Margarito continues to profit wildly in Mexico while suspended in the US, that it could have an effect on his appeal chances to regain his ability to fight in the states.

And ultimately, at the end of the day, the biggest dollars for Margarito are here in the states. Specifically, a rematch with Miguel Cotto in Madison Square Garden, this time with Margarito with regular wraps. The massive Puerto Rican Cotto contingent in NY would sell that fight out at 20,000 tickets within days, if not hours, and it would generate huge dollars on PPV.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Arum's job is to make his fighters money, he doesn't care where and how.
Margarito's trainer will never get his license back.
Maybe Arum believes that Margarito won't get his back either and has to do whatever it takes to make him a check.
He claims Margarito "did nothing wrong"
Fighters would know if they had illegal shit in their wraps.
I would love for Cotto to get revenge and beat Margarito worse than Mosley did.

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:28 pm

I agree with everything you're saying. However, don't you think maybe long term there's more $ in it for Arum & Margarito if they play nice, apologize, sit out a year, and target a mega pay day at MSG in NY vs Cotto?

Separate from that, you think there's any way Cotto goes down to Tijuana to fight Margarito maybe this summer or fall?

Last question cuz. If Margarito does fight someone else (not Cotto) in Mexico, do you buy it? I don't want to support him and Arum with my PPV dollars, but it may be worth it to see him get his ass beat. Im kinda torn if it comes to that.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Why let him benefit from cheating by getting him a mega payday in a year. I don't want him to make another dime in the boxing world to be honest.
Cotto would be out of his mind to fight him in Mexico, any fighter that fights a banned fighter I think will get themselves into trouble.
Arum himself might face a hefty fine if he takes Margarito to Mexico.
It's a mess right now for these clowns and rightfully so.

I wouldn't pay shit to see him fight. If it goes down, I'd watch it on some rigged website for free.

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:56 pm

My take is Arum is giving Margarito a pass because in the final analysis he was caught and then went on to lose the fight and is not even considering the intent. Just think of the psychological boost Tony had during training for the fight knowing the entire time he was in camp that he'd be walking into the ring with two time bombs attached to his wrists.

I have always given Arum the benefit of the doubt...until this.

Don't be surprised when Pavlik drops Top Rank and signs with GBP. Hopkins wasn't playing nice during the pressers and lead up to the Pavlik fight because he's a good guy...I think they've had their eyes on the prize for a while. There are some "issues" in the Team Pavlik/Top Rank relationship from what I've heard. I think it'll spill out after the Rubio fight too.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:02 pm

bustedknuckles wrote:Don't be surprised when Pavlik drops Top Rank and signs with GBP. Hopkins wasn't playing nice during the pressers and lead up to the Pavlik fight because he's a good guy...I think they've had their eyes on the prize for a while. There are some "issues" in the Team Pavlik/Top Rank relationship from what I've heard. I think it'll spill out after the Rubio fight too.

Real good point knuckles. BHop was effusive in his praise for Kelly, before and after the fight. Would love to see Kelly dump Arum for GBP. Would also love to see him dump Loew for Richardson.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Yes, "effusive" he was (I'm going to figure out how to use that word one of these days...maybe with the wife on Valentine's Day, I wonder if that sticks with Jennifer). Sorry to digress.

Actually, I heard and read I somewhere I think (maybe here-Dr?) that Pavlik is going to use Freddie Roach in the future...not dropping Jack though (not going to happen but that's a horse of a different color) instead going with a joint training situation with Roach working with Kelly on his footwork/movement issues I believe.
bustedknuckles

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:08 pm

Kelly did contact Roach about co-training him recently.
Arum and Cameron Duncan have a rocky relationship from what I've heard.
Top Rank does have a lot of guys but talking to Golden Boy fighters, it's night and day with them.
Golden Boy does it right and has their shit together, being headed by some high profile guys(Oscar/BHop/Mosley) doesn't hurt.

I hate Arum

Return to The Rumble Room