Text Size

The Rumble Room

Taylor/Froch appears to be going down ...

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Taylor/Froch appears to be going down ...

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:17 am

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 10,00.html

I heard HBO wanted Taylor/Allan Green instead, Showtime swooped in and picked up Taylor/Froch. April 8 or 15.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Taylor/Froch appears to be going down ...

Unread postby Guest » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

HBO turned this fight down originally.
Sorry about their luck, I like this matchup and it will be entertaining. Jermain has a chance to rise back to the top.
Hopefully Gus Johnson doesn't call the fight, he's awful.

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Only reason Gus may not be on this fight is because they don't deem the fight big enough to assign their new franchise lead announcer to it.

Taylor gets a couple more wins, maybe he can get back to the level where a Gus Johnson type will be calling his fights.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:41 pm

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 am

Great fight last night. Was really impressed by Froch, who looked cooked after going down in the 3rd. Gritty effort coming back and stopping Taylor with 14 seconds left in the fight. He needed the stoppage. Improbably, two of the judges had Taylor up 106-102 going into the 12th.

Taylor has the entire package physically. Looked to be in the best shape I've seen him in since the Hopkins wins. Dude just fades, every fight. Froch owned him in the final six rounds. Enjoyed his demeanor/comments after the fight too, calling out Slappy Joe. Froch made a fan out of me last night.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Great fight.
What a chin on Froch, I was impressed.
Taylor is finished in my opinion and I love him.

Unread postby Rusty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:49 am

Yep, Froch has one hell of a chin, he definitely earned my respect. Taylor should've taken a knee when he got into serious trouble late in the 12th round. What a great fight.

Slappy Joe would never even consider stepping into the ring with either of these guys even when he was in his prime. Just ask Glen Johnson or any other fighter that posed a legitimate threat to his lame undefeated record.
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby bustedknuckles » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:16 pm

I agree that Froch has a fan friendly style and the fight was definately entertaining, but no way do I think he beats Calzaghe in his prime.

I like Froch and I'd like to see more of him, but he's got a distance to go before he's in Calzaghe's class. From what I've seen of him (albeit limited) he's Edison Miranda + a chin.

Also Swerb, with all due respect no way Froch dominated the last six rounds...he was rocked at least twice after the sixth and fortunately his titanium chin held up. The fight was Taylor's until he stuck his hand on the mousetrap...again. There's just something missing with JT...and he'll likely never live up to his ability. Perhaps boxing is not the best sport to fit his personality.
bustedknuckles

Return to The Rumble Room