Text Size

The Rumble Room

Calzaghe retires after undefeated career

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Calzaghe retires after undefeated career

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:53 pm

Let's see if this lasts. I think it will as he is ducking the up and coming superstars like Chad Dawson.

http://www.cbssports.com/boxing/story/11344401

Re: Calzaghe retires after undefeated career

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm

No one left over 40 to fight I guess.

Puss.

Guy worked so hard to improve his reputation with American fight fans, then ends his career with a fight against Roy Jones Jr, who was totally washed up four years ago. And retires with a guy like Chad Dawson out there so he can validate his career.

Classic case of another guy that only takes fights he knows he can win.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Rusty » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:54 am

Don't count him out just yet, Swerb. Antonio Tarver may be available for a HUGE fight later this year after another beatdown from Dawson. Anything is possible.

In the meantime, we can follow the career of his protege, Arthur Abraham. He has agreed to fight another undefeated prodigy next month... none other than Lajuan Simon.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hu ... &cat=boxer.

Should be highly competitive, an epic battle for the ages. Maybe he will even get ballsy once again and call out Oscar De La Hoya after he wins the fight! :nanner:
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:39 pm

he's a stiff. only fought across the pond basically his whole career, against shitty competition
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby BernieBrown » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:36 pm

One of the worst undefeated boxers ever. He never challenged himself or took fights against prime competition. In His only big name fights he struggled against two old men who he matched up great against B-Hop, and Roy Jones Jr. I still think his fight with B-Hop was a loss or a draw at best. Now he retires instead of stepping up to real prime fighters like Jremaine Taylor, Chad Dawson, or Aurthur Abraham. Congrats Joe you managed Duck, Dodge, and Dive your way to the least impressive undefeated record ever.

Joe fought RJJ long after Jones was over the hill and had been inactive for about two years. He ducked Hopkins forever literally waiting ten years for Hopkins to get old enough to fight. Lacy was a good match up for him, Lacy is a mirage himself because he hasn't beaten anyone, and to top it off Lacy was also coming off shoulder surgery. Kessler is still yet to beat anyone of note, his biggest fight literally is Calzaghe.

Joe is a pussy plain, and simple, he was a good boxer who never had the balls to step up to the plate, and fight a well established boxer who was in his prime. He and his daddy played a match up game for most of his career, picking guys who Joe could patty cake to victory on. If Joe really was the man he likes to think he is, he would have been fighting guys like Chad Dawson, Jermain Taylor, Paul Williams. He would have fought Winky Wright, RJJ, James Tony, and Bernard Hopkins before they got old.

Instead we got Joe vs Peter Mafredo Jr. over and over again. Another knock against Joe was that he was never willing to travel out of England to fight. If anyone has ever watched English boxing they will notice one thing. If an Englishman has a close fight with a foreigner the Englishman will always win the decision. Joe did nothing of note in his career other then run and play the match up game. At this point I would be reluctant to say he is a surefire HOFer, sounds strange to say that about a man who held the same title for over ten years.
BernieBrown

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:27 am

Don't be a stranger round these parts Bernie ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Rusty » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:30 am

Don't give up on Joe coming out of retirement just yet, there are still fights out there for him.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=18859&more=1
Rusty

Favorite Player: Tim Lincecum
Least Favorite Player: Mark Buehrle

Return to The Rumble Room