Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns Looking For 2nd Rounder for DA?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns Looking For 2nd Rounder for DA?

Unread postby OSU819903 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 pm

Not sure what this guys rep is but thought it was interesting. All the reports I've heard locally say that Browns would be lucky to get a 5th. If there's some truth to this, I certainly would do it in a heart beat.

http://chat.nfl.com/front/archived_chat/104
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sp ... alue_in_09?
Last edited by OSU819903 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Re: Brown's Looking For 2nd Rounder for DA?

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 pm

They want to get a 1st or 2nd rounder? Well I want to get a 400% raise this year too

Can we get something clear. This drives me nuts. There is no apostrophe in Browns. That is the plural form, you dont need to show possession of Brown, that doesn't even make sense. Sorry don't mean to be like that, but it is your team's name (look possession)

:cheers:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Browns Looking For 2nd Rounder for DA?

Unread postby OSU819903 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Fixed
OSU819903

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:27 pm

OSU819903 wrote:Fixed

Thanks ;-) ;) :wink:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Mr. X » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Anything in the 4th round or better and I'd be ecstatic. Maybe it's just the Cleveland sports fan in me, but I don't see an erratic, headcase of a QB being worth much more than that.
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby Barons-Force » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Why is everyone in such a hurry to get rid of DA? Who in the hell are going to be our backup QB's? Why is everyone so sold on Quinn?
"Dad, it's a good thing I called and got our Indians tickets when I did, there were only 60,000 left." - Alex P. Keaton
Barons-Force

Favorite Player: Antawn Jamison
Least Favorite Player: Mark Lewis

Unread postby OSU819903 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Not sold on Quinn. I am sold that DA is not the QB of the future for this team. You can say that it is not fair, but DA will never get a fair shake from the fans here, and he is not tough enough to take the razzing and still perform. And from what little I've heard and read about the new regime's preference it is that they prefer a more ball control passing game rather than a down the field passing game.

I am also of the opinion that either BQ or DA has to be gone before next season starts. I just think it is the best for the team to know who their QB is and who their leader is.
OSU819903

Unread postby Barons-Force » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Agree that we need to know who our QB is, but again, and not directing this at you, but who are going to be our backups? That is the main reason I say keep DA.
"Dad, it's a good thing I called and got our Indians tickets when I did, there were only 60,000 left." - Alex P. Keaton
Barons-Force

Favorite Player: Antawn Jamison
Least Favorite Player: Mark Lewis

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Ugh...really wish we would have traded him before this past season when his stock was at the max...
Chief24Wahoo

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:58 pm

alpalsucksunderwoodblows wrote:Agree that we need to know who our QB is, but again, and not directing this at you, but who are going to be our backups? That is the main reason I say keep DA.

He isn't a backup. He's a starter, with a starter's resume. And keeping two starters on the same team is asking for trouble.

Move him for whatever you can get.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby OSU819903 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Honestly I don't know who the back up would be at this point. But IMO, if you were to rank in order of priority; Letting you team know who their leader is (and avoiding a controversy) is more important than knowing who your back up QB is.
OSU819903

Unread postby cutty » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:35 pm

trade him for vince young! :sillies:
cutty

Unread postby OrangeElf » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:50 pm

OSU819903 wrote:Not sure what this guys rep is but thought it was interesting. All the reports I've heard locally say that Browns would be lucky to get a 5th. If there's some truth to this, I certainly would do it in a heart beat.

I believe there was already a mention of this and almost a whole thread on it last week.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11509
"On the Brown and Orange bandwagon since 1972 and never gettin' off"
OrangeElf

Favorite Player: Gene Hickerson
Least Favorite Player: Any in Black~n~Gold

Unread postby Leasure » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:24 pm

OrangeElf wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:Not sure what this guys rep is but thought it was interesting. All the reports I've heard locally say that Browns would be lucky to get a 5th. If there's some truth to this, I certainly would do it in a heart beat.

I believe there was already a mention of this and almost a whole thread on it last week.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11509

Trade him to detroit for kitna and a third round high pick
Leasure

Favorite Player: tj ward
Least Favorite Player: rothlesburger

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:34 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
alpalsucksunderwoodblows wrote:Agree that we need to know who our QB is, but again, and not directing this at you, but who are going to be our backups? That is the main reason I say keep DA.

He isn't a backup. He's a starter, with a starter's resume. And keeping two starters on the same team is asking for trouble.

Move him for whatever you can get.

Yes, sir. His time here has passed. Time to move on in the best interests of both parties (Browns and DA).
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby RobStad » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:35 am

Why do people in Cleveland always want to trade a guy at his lowest value? This "just get rid of him for what you can get and move on" mentality will not make the Browns better.

Then what happens if boy-wonder Brady gets hurt or doesn't work out?

If someone wants to give me a first-rounder for D.A., fine. If not, I'll keep the NFL-proven QB, a year removed from passing for over 4,000 yards and making the Pro Bowl, on my roster.
RobStad

Favorite Player: Kerry Wood
Least Favorite Player: Rasheed Wallace

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 am

RobStad wrote:Why do people in Cleveland always want to trade a guy at his lowest value?

I wanted to move him last off-season, when he was at his highest value.

The way I see it, the more he sees the field, the further his value drops. This is pretty much the last opportunity you're going to get anything for him.

BTW, he didn't throw for 4,000 yards in 2007, and Mike Boryla, James Harris, Pat Haden, and Bill Kenney also made Pro Bowls, which tells you how much that particular honor means.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:00 am

RobStad wrote:Why do people in Cleveland always want to trade a guy at his lowest value? This "just get rid of him for what you can get and move on" mentality will not make the Browns better.

If someone wants to give me a first-rounder for D.A., fine. If not, I'll keep the NFL-proven QB, a year removed from passing for over 4,000 yards and making the Pro Bowl, on my roster.

I don't want to trade him at his lowest value, I wanna get the highest possible we can get for him. We NEED draft picks to get things like Runningbacks and Linebackers, and if DA can net us that, I'd take it.

DA from the sound of it...does NOT want to be here, he doesn't want to be a backup when he thinks he can start, and he sure as hell knows that won't be with the hometown hero at the helm. His salary is eating up a lot of cap which could be used to greater need son this team.

Theres so many reasons why we should get rid of him for the highest draft pick possible.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby RobStad » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:19 am

I don't want to trade him at his lowest value, I wanna get the highest possible we can get for him. We NEED draft picks to get things like Runningbacks and Linebackers, and if DA can net us that, I'd take it.

DA from the sound of it...does NOT want to be here, he doesn't want to be a backup when he thinks he can start, and he sure as hell knows that won't be with the hometown hero at the helm. His salary is eating up a lot of cap which could be used to greater need son this team.

Theres so many reasons why we should get rid of him for the highest draft pick possible.
RobStad wrote:Why do people in Cleveland always want to trade a guy at his lowest value? This "just get rid of him for what you can get and move on" mentality will not make the Browns better.

You make some fair points and I respect your argument.

But the overriding factor for me is that I just don't see the Browns getting a very high draft pick for him right now.

I would rather have an NFL-proven QB than a low-round draft pick, which normally doesn't pan out. If the player does pan out, it's rarely in an impactful way.

Herman Fontenot - You're right, he threw for just under 3,800. I was rounding up.

I also agree with you - they should have traded him after last season, when his value was highest.
RobStad

Favorite Player: Kerry Wood
Least Favorite Player: Rasheed Wallace

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:30 am

RobStad wrote:But the overriding factor for me is that I just don't see the Browns getting a very high draft pick for him right now.

I would rather have an NFL-proven QB than a low-round draft pick, which normally doesn't pan out. If the player does pan out, it's rarely in an impactful way.

Herman Fontenot - You're right, he threw for just under 3,800. I was rounding up.

I also agree with you - they should have traded him after last season, when his value was highest.

My problem with keeping DA is that keeping him leaves you with two starters, which is one too many. I don't think you can have a nice, orderly competition between BQ and DA with a nice orderly winner, a nice orderly loser, and a nice orderly starter and backup. They didn't draft BQ to be a backup, and DA's resume with the Browns is as a starter. I don't think you can get away with having two starting quarterbacks. You're setting yourself up for a controversy, and as we've seen all too many times, nothing good comes out of a quarterback controversy.

Best to move one of them- DA clearly being the odd man out- elevate the other (BQ) to clear starter status, and bring in a guy with the express purpose of being a backup.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Unread postby ProgRocker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:32 am

The value of DA is not just in his performance or lack thereof - it's in the value of which other QBs are available and which teams need QBs. This year's draft is a little weak on that end and I don't think the free agent class is all that impressive, with the two 'backups' of most value going into this offseason (arguable Cassel from NE and Leinart from AZ) not likely to go anywhere. That combination may drive DA's price up a little bit depending on which teams are in the market.

And there will be front offices who will think DA's numbers were down because Crennel was a dope, not because DA has issues -- or if they think he does have issues they'll see the arm and his Pro Bowl numbers and think, "We'll be the team that'll improve him!"

Combine those factors and it's possible DA's value is a little higher. There will be QBs available that the Browns can sign that will be serviceable backups, or even use their own 5th rounder to find such a guy. I'd much rather try to get another first-day pick for DA.

And if ManKok pulls that off, I think a few of the folks on this board at least will give them some benefits of the doubt going into training camp ...

EDITED TO ADD: Adam Schecter is pretty good; he does a lot on Sirius NFL and the NFL Network, and I of course like the fact he mentions the Vikings as one of the teams who may be willing to roll the dice on a high pick for DA, as that's one of the teams I had on my list! :thumb up:
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:44 am

DA is the best QB we have in Cleveland right now. End of message.
Toxicadam

Unread postby OSU819903 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:51 pm

Toxicadam wrote:DA is the best QB we have in Cleveland right now. End of message.

Well unfortunately that is not the end of message. Or at least it is not a clear message if that is the end. So expand on the message for us, your premise is that DA is the best QB we have, so what do you do? Trade BQ, you think they can coexist? Finish the message if you could sir.
OSU819903

Unread postby Lubber » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:53 pm

Toxicadam wrote:DA is the best QB we have in Cleveland right now. End of message.

Did you happen to miss the games in which Quinn was in and showed leadership in the huddle and in the midst of the playing of the game instead of the deer caught in headlights looks DA provides each week?

In addition, Brady can throw that little swing pass that DA seems to lke to throw 100 mph.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:06 pm

The guy turned it over way too much in college, and he turns it over way too much in the pros.

You cannot win in this league turning it over.

He's not good. He's not the best QB in town. He's not going to get better than a fourth or fifth.

And the anwer to what happens if Quinn goes down, well, we'd be pretty much screwed like most teams, accept we'd be bringing in a guy we KNOW isn't good, instead of someone we might not be sure of.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby ProgRocker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:21 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:

The guy turned it over way too much in college, and he turns it over way too much in the pros.

He's not good. He's not the best QB in town. He's not going to get better than a fourth or fifth.

And the anwer to what happens if Quinn goes down, well, we'd be pretty much screwed like most teams, accept we'd be bringing in a guy we KNOW isn't good, instead of someone we might not be sure of.

All I know is, I thought he was a system QB and was overrated coming out of Notre Dame until I realized over the last few seasons that Notre Dame doesn't HAVE a system, and Brady got most of that out of his own talent. All QBs will turn it over - Favre in his prime did, Elway in his prime did, Aikman in his prime did. It's because they are looking to win games and not manage games (see Rothelsothelsuthlseburgher and every Rat QB ever) and will roll the dice every so often ... and, as opposed to DA, who panics and thinks he can throw a hole through a safety and is screwed in the head thanks to Romeo and company (and his own gagging).

And I have no idea what you mean by "fourth or fifth." If you mean fourth or fifth string quarterback, you're high - even if he is a bust we already know Brady'll be ten times the QB that Ken Dorsey will ever be, meaning no worse than a second stringer. If you mean all we can get is a fourth or fifth round pick for Brady if we chose to trade him, you're higher - we already know that Kansas City offered at least one first-rounder THIS YEAR for Quinn.

In short, at least wait until he starts a few more games before hating Brady. The evidence to do that just isn't there.
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm

ProgRocker wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:

All I know is, I thought he was a system QB and was overrated coming out of Notre Dame until I realized over the last few seasons that Notre Dame doesn't HAVE a system, and Brady got most of that out of his own talent. All QBs will turn it over - Favre in his prime did, Elway in his prime did, Aikman in his prime did. It's because they are looking to win games and not manage games (see Rothelsothelsuthlseburgher and every Rat QB ever) and will roll the dice every so often ... and, as opposed to DA, who panics and thinks he can throw a hole through a safety and is screwed in the head thanks to Romeo and company (and his own gagging).

And I have no idea what you mean by "fourth or fifth." If you mean fourth or fifth string quarterback, you're high - even if he is a bust we already know Brady'll be ten times the QB that Ken Dorsey will ever be, meaning no worse than a second stringer. If you mean all we can get is a fourth or fifth round pick for Brady if we chose to trade him, you're higher - we already know that Kansas City offered at least one first-rounder THIS YEAR for Quinn.

In short, at least wait until he starts a few more games before hating Brady. The evidence to do that just isn't there.

My whole post is in reference to DA. e's the one who's turned it over his whole life.

I still have hope for Quinn. Even for those that aren't optimistic can look at it this way; You can't be SURE Quinn stinks, with DA, I think we've seen enough proof.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL