Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Band of Brothers

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Band of Brothers

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Just got the Blu Ray set from Amazon. So fired up to sit back and watch this thing again. Might be the best series of all time!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Band of Brothers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 pm

It's out on Blu-Ray? I did not know that, I will be stopping at Best Buy tomorrow.

I agree I think it is the best series ever made, the parts with the real guys is very moving. The part were Dick Winters told his grandson "Grandpa is not a hero, but he did serve in a company of heroes" Wow incredible stuff. Fiction can never top reality.

Favorite part other than the real testimony is where Lt. Spears runs by the Germans and they just watch.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 pm

One of the best things ever produced for television.

Like one of the greatest movies ever made, just 12 hours long. The journey you go on with Easy Company from their paratrooper training in Britian, to getting dropped into France, to the bombings at Bastone, to cigars at Hitlers palace ... it is spectacular.

Its officially up there with The Godfather and Caddyshack for me. I see any of the episodes on The History Channel, I stop what I am doing and start watching.

And I got the DVDs ... prolly watched the series 3-4 times start to finish. Just doesn't get old.

Episode where they get dropped into France (2nd hour?) would be sa-weet on Blu Ray.

Damn I need a Blu Ray!
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Absolutely love this series. It was done beautifully.

It makes you laugh, it makes you cry, you're on the edge of your seat every time you watch it.

I also own the whole series on DVD. It's awesome.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It's out on Blu-Ray? I did not know that, I will be stopping at Best Buy tomorrow.

I agree I think it is the best series ever made, the parts with the real guys is very moving. The part were Dick Winters told his grandson "Grandpa is not a hero, but he did serve in a company of heroes" Wow incredible stuff. Fiction can never top reality.

Favorite part other than the real testimony is where Lt. Spears runs by the Germans and they just watch.

Amazon ran a pretty good deal. I think it was $35 for the whole series. Check into that. Took less than a week to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Damian-Lewis/dp/B00129H7VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233146360&sr=1-1

not the $35 deal anymore, but still new for about half the price.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:42 am

Just about to fire this up on BluRay myself. Awesome series, one of the few things on tv worth all the acclaim it received.

Interesting side note, my buddy's grandpa was the S1 officer in 506 F Company. When he passed, I helped my friend go through all his old stuff. The guy had piles of money from Germany, France, and England. He also had a ton of pictures including pictures from the Eagle's Nest. The guy kept his full jumpsuit and map from the invasion. There was some really interesting items.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:41 am

A lot of those actors were complete unknowns at the time too ... most have gone on to land other significant roles.

Garniere ... he's playing chief of staff (?) to the President in this season "24"
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby cweiz32 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 am

Love Band of Brothers and that will be one of the first sets of BluRay's I'll own. The worst part about that show is it had to end. Perfect TV series.
cweiz32

Favorite Player: LeBron
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:44 am

Swerb wrote:A lot of those actors were complete unknowns at the time too ... most have gone on to land other significant roles.

Garniere ... he's playing chief of staff (?) to the President in this season "24"

He's playing Tim, a senior member of the NSA team...and will later today be added to the "who is the mole" list as Wild Tim Guarnere

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:47 am

Ditto, one of the greatest TV accomplishments

Played craps with Ron Livingston @ The Palms when he was filming The Cooler and got to talk to him about the making of it...said it was both disturbing & gratifying to act in
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:54 am

waborat wrote:Ditto, one of the greatest TV accomplishments

Played craps with Ron Livingston @ The Palms when he was filming The Cooler and got to talk to him about the making of it...said it was both disturbing & gratifying to act in

He was great in it ... as was the dude that played Winters. Always liked Ron Livingston in just about anything he does.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby tbone » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Best. Series. Ever.

A few weekends ago I laid low in an attempt to give the liver a rest and get proper sleep and whatnot... was about to go to bed and caught a BOB marathon on History Channel. As a result watched the last 6 hours until about 430 in the morning. Forgot how powerful those last couple hours were. Sleep was out of wack until mid-week.

If anyone from the BOB cast is in any new TV show, I always give it a shot. As a result, gave "Life" a shot when it started up last season because of Damien Lewis (Winters), and now it's about my favorite show on TV.
I don't think I'm ever more "aware" than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer.
Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

tbone
Medium Rare

Favorite Player: myself
Least Favorite Player: that guy

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:50 pm

The intersting thing on the actors is to hear a lot of them talk in real life...using their real life British accents. Damien Lewis, Robin Laing (Babe Heffron), Shane Taylor (medic Doc Roe), Nicholas Aaron (Popeye Wynn), Dexter Fletcher (Sgt. Martin), Ross McCall (Liebgott...and former bedmate of Jennifer Love Hewitt), Rick Warren (Lt. Harry Welsh), Matthew Leitch (Sgt Talbert), and Marc Warren (Pvt Blythe)....all Brits.

Amazing how great they could do American accents. And then you have Tom Cruise and Kevin Costner who almost ruin movies due to their unwillingness to work with a dialog coach.

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:23 pm

Mitch wrote:The intersting thing on the actors is to hear a lot of them talk in real life...using their real life British accents. Damien Lewis, Robin Laing (Babe Heffron), Shane Taylor (medic Doc Roe), Nicholas Aaron (Popeye Wynn), Dexter Fletcher (Sgt. Martin), Ross McCall (Liebgott...and former bedmate of Jennifer Love Hewitt), Rick Warren (Lt. Harry Welsh), Matthew Leitch (Sgt Talbert), and Marc Warren (Pvt Blythe)....all Brits.

Amazing how great they could do American accents. And then you have Tom Cruise and Kevin Costner who almost ruin movies due to their unwillingness to work with a dialog coach.

Hugh Laurie does a nice job with that on 'House' too.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Pup wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:It's out on Blu-Ray? I did not know that, I will be stopping at Best Buy tomorrow.

Amazon ran a pretty good deal. I think it was $35 for the whole series. Check into that. Took less than a week to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Damian-Lewis/dp/B00129H7VS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233146360&sr=1-1

Thanks Pup, I probably would have overpaid at Best Buy.

Swerb wrote:A lot of those actors were complete unknowns at the time too ... most have gone on to land other significant roles.

He was also in the last season of the Sopranos, he's the one that caps Phil Leotardo.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby waborat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Swerb wrote:
waborat wrote:Ditto, one of the greatest TV accomplishments

He was great in it ... as was the dude that played Winters. Always liked Ron Livingston in just about anything he does.

Yeah, my wife liked shooting dice with him as well...at least I got to stand near Maria Bello at the table
:thumb up:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

Simply supurb from minuite one to the end.

I was Nixon in another life.

I'll never eat spaghettie the same way ever again.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Mitch wrote:

He's playing Tim, a senior member of the NSA team...and will later today be added to the "who is the mole" list as Wild Tim Guarnere

Gonnohrea. Get it right.
jb

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:59 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Pup wrote:

Thanks Pup, I probably would have overpaid at Best Buy.

No problem.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Mr. X » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 am

Pretty much agree with everyone here. Never had HBO so I didn't discover it until a few years ago. Simply amazing.
Mr. X

Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:22 am

Just started watching the series tonight.

I have NO IDEA what took me so long to see this. My all-time favorite film is Saving Private Ryan, so it's bizarre that after 8 years I'm finally sitting down and watching it.

I've caught scenes on TV a few times over the past years, but never wanted to really engage myself because I wasn't sure at the time if it was the first episode or not. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit and watch EVERYTHING. From beginning to end. None of that "jump in the middle of it" bullshit.

So far, only Part I in, I'm enjoying it immensley. I always wished Spielberg/Hanks would do some kind of a spin-off film to Ryan, but this will totally do.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:25 am

F it. I'm going to watch Part II right now.

Holla.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Just watched this again in its entirety a couple of weeks ago. Simply brilliant.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cease » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I bought this series for a relative for XMas, just so I could borrow it.

Edit: That was three years ago and he still won't part with it.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:26 am

Just finished it.

Fan-fuggin'-tastic.

Cannot wait for The Pacific.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Best series ever. Can not wait for Pacific.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 pm

DarNoor wrote:Best series ever. Can not wait for Pacific.

March 2010 is the latest expected release date.

Unread postby Apex777 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 pm

I am a huge fan of war movies. I bought Band of Brothers as a Christmas gift for my Dad on VHS a few years back, he thoroughly enjoyed it, as did I. People talk about sports figures as "heroes". I think that the soldiers that were portrayed in Band of Brothers were REAL HEROES. Think about it, a lot of these guys were in their late teens and early 20's and look what they were doing.

Another excellent and I'd highly recommend for viewing is The War. This came out a couple years ago. Very gritty footage of different aspects of the war. Although the concentration camp footage was almost a little too much too view. If you've never watched this series, pick it up, it's also definitely worth a look.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. . .Einstein
Apex777

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:51 pm

Just recently got myself a PS3 as well as this great mini-series on Blu-ray.

I started watching it again even though I had just watched it on regular DVD about a month ago. I find it funny that even the end credits to each episode looks better on Blu-ray.
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby pup » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:16 pm

The start of episode #2 with them jumping out of the planes is Blu-Ray Heaven.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:03 pm

my new gf has Band of Brothers on DVD after the wet love it's been getting on here I can't wait to watch it
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:my new gf has Band of Brothers on DVD after the wet love it's been getting on here I can't wait to watch it

Oooooweee! BP, you dawwwwg. C'mon now, what's his name? :dingle:
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:44 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:my new gf has Band of Brothers on DVD after the wet love it's been getting on here I can't wait to watch it

you're a cheeky one aren't ya
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby DarNoor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:39 am

Just to let everyone know, Spike is going to show BoB sometime in August. i saw the commercial for it, but i didn't get the dates. Even though i have seen it about 20 times, i will probably sit thru it again.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:49 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Bill the Butcher wrote:

you're a cheeky one aren't ya

Let me just verify... "cheeky" in the UK basically means "smart ass" right?
Bill the Butcher

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:24 pm

There might be more British actors than Americans in this thing

(I'm upto part 5 as I've finally tarted the box set my ex lent me)

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Guest » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Returns to HBO on January 3 at 9 PM.

They'll run this as a lead-up to The Pacific starting in March.

Unread postby DarNoor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm

March can not come fast enough
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby jb » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Mitch wrote:Returns to HBO on January 3 at 9 PM.

They'll run this as a lead-up to The Pacific starting in March.

I can not even conceive of a series on the Pacific if it is as gritty and realistic as BoB in Europe.

Men shouldn't have had to do or endure what those men did in that theater.

I may get HBO just for that series.
jb

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:00 pm

I wonder if the series will give the Army its due or if it will be all about the Marines?
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Guest » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I wonder if the series will give the Army its due or if it will be all about the Marines?

As Band of Brothers focused entirely on one Army Company, The Pacific will focus on a group of Marines.

The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages.

Given the literary sources mentioned above, the series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Hadn't heard anything about it till now but that makes sense...they're gonna owe the Navy tho

Its just not well known that the Army had more amphibious landings than the Marines in the Pacific and IIRC an equal number of troops at Iwo and Saipan. Like a certain Gulf I Marine arty Captain once said at OBR, "the Marines have the best PR machine"

Never saw BoB till I got Dish a yr ago. They've run all the episodes concurrently a couple of times now and I watch it as much as I can. I agree that its the best TV ever

This one should be esp bloody
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Sorta OT, but "WWII in HD" on the History Channel is also worth watching. It's not a perfect documentary, but some of the video is jawdropping.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Doc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Saw this deal today and had to order it. Amazon UK has BoB on BluRay for $31 and change USD once it's converted from EUR.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Band-Brothers-HBO-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B001DEAAIY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260926930&sr=8-1

Saw it for $40 yesterday and passed. Saw it for $32 today and jumped. Never seen it before, but I'm excited to have this and Lost on BluRay. Just waiting to find a good deal of Planet Earth on BluRay and I'll be set for weeks.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby Doc » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:44 pm

Figures...BBC Planet Earth for $32 + tax with code xb692. Comes to $34.47 I think. Dammit, I really should be saving for that house I'm allegedly buying...

http://www.wbshop.com/Planet-Earth-The-Complete-Collection/1000000062,default,pd.html?cgid=&AID=10280984&PID=1225267

We should get a Deals thread started or something...I've been coming across a ton of deals lately. Much easier to Christmas shop for myself than for others.

Anyways, carry on. Sorry for the hi-jack.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture