Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Super Bowl Recipes

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Super Bowl Recipes

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:43 pm

I know I will not be having Pierogies and Keilbassi or Sandwiches with Slaw and French Fries on them for the Super Bowl for obvious reasons. But I do need to eat something. I am not one to go out to the bar for the Super Bowl because I actually like to watch the game and commercials. I am more than content to make myself some appetizers and drink a ton of beer on my couch.

So the question is, what are your recipes for the Super Bowl.

I'll start because this is the only one I usually make that I have memorized.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

3 stalks of celery
Butter
3/4 cup Franks Red Hot
1 cup ranch or (blue cheese if you prefer)
2 cups cheddar cheese
2 blocks of philly cream cheese
3 breast of skinless boneless chicken

boil chicken and chop or shred up. Saute celery in butter until soft. Then combine all the ingredients in a bowl or 13x9 and back at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips.

Looking for something new this year
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Super Bowl Recipes

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Ambien- 1 bottle

Jack Daniels- 1 bottle

That otta do it. I won't be able to stand 2 weeks of how great the Steelers are.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Ambien- 1 bottle

Jack Daniels- 1 bottle

That otta do it. I won't be able to stand 2 weeks of how great the Steelers are.

Try having to hear about it the rest of your life. I married one... :bag: The way I figure it we have about 60 years to catch up or else I die in shame
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 pm

This has to be the thread where waborat finally unveils his wife's salsa recipe on the free world.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Swerb wrote:This has to be the thread where waborat finally unveils his wife's salsa recipe on the free world.

Or at least via PM. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:13 pm

While I have never had Waborats, this did remind me of another damn good recipe I have. This is a real smooth salsa, seeing as we had that thread a while back and so many, including myself, hated chunky tomatoes, I LOVE this salsa. It makes a ton so you may want to cut it in half.

3 cans (28 oz) Stewed or Chopped Tomatoes
3 cans Rotel Tomatoes
10 cloves garlic
8-10 jalepeno's
1 bunch cilantro
1 cup white vinegar
5 tablespoons Chopped Onion
5 teaspoons Salt
5 teaspoons Cumin
5 teaspoons Seasoned Salt

Chop it all up and mix good. I use my blender, or if you have a hand blender that works good too. Cook until it boils then let it cool.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Is this cooked salsa recipe good?

My dad makes this fresh salsa in the summer/spring months. Makes me look forward to the Indy 500 and Memorial day more days than most. I swear, I cannot eat any Chi-Chis/Ortega Brands anymore, only really have a craving for the fresh salsa, my dads is that good, dig the stuff they serve in mexican restaurants though (if anyone finds a recipe or where you can buy a bottle of that, i'd be eternally grateful)
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Buffalo Chicken Dip

my wife has made this (minus the celery) for the past 3 years and each year it gets better and better.
The only other thing she'll make is the cheese dip w/ salsa and sausage. I at least convinced her to chorizo instead of the Bob Evans sausage.

usually I'll make a baked mac and cheese
Ingredients
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Topping:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.

Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.

Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

I'll switch up the cheeses everytime. Once used a mozzarella w/ sundried tomatoes, the next year I used a Chipotle Cheddar along with the sharp cheddar for a little extra flavor. I'll add bacon or chicken chunks as well.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm

Triple-S wrote:Is this cooked salsa recipe good?

I think so, it is my favorite anywhere, but I have a different taste in Salsa, no tomato chunks for me. My closest comparison would be to El Rodeo on Mayfield Rd. if you have ever been there. I love their salsa.

Side note: El Rodeo is my favorite mexican place in the city. Damn I miss that place. Their normal mexican is ok, but they have a bunch of authentic stuff such as Carnitas (deep fried in lard), comes in chunks and just with tortillas, awesome. The Machacha is good too. Shredded beef in a tomato sauce.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:44 pm

Ziner wrote:

I think so, it is my favorite anywhere, but I have a different taste in Salsa, no tomato chunks for me. My closest comparison would be to El Rodeo on Mayfield Rd. if you have ever been there. I love their salsa.

Side note: El Rodeo is my favorite mexican place in the city. Damn I miss that place. Their normal mexican is ok, but they have a bunch of authentic stuff such as Carnitas (deep fried in lard), comes in chunks and just with tortillas, awesome. The Machacha is good too. Shredded beef in a tomato sauce.

I'll have to try and make it then. Only thing being, Cilantro has to be difficult to find around this time I would think?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:47 pm

Ziner wrote:

I'm not a chunky Tomato salsa or a store-bought salsa guy either. But I had salsa the other night that had a nice kick and was almost like a cocktail sauce consistency. When I asked what it was I was surprised:

Not usually a Pace fan, but this triple-pepper was good, hot but not overpoweringly so and it was the consistency you non-tomato chunk cats like.

Worth a shot. Green chilis, serrano and guajillo peppers.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Ziner wrote:

I'll have to try and make it then. Only thing being, Cilantro has to be difficult to find around this time I would think?

I dont know where you live but I know Whole Foods has it. While you wouldnt want to shop for it all there because you would spend about $30 to makes the salsa, I am sure they have it. Havent lived in Cleveland for a while so the only WF i know of is Warrensville and Cedar. Heinens may have it too. People who live there currently could help you more than I.

Off Topic:
The wife loves Whole Foods so we go there occasionally. She wanted to make some homemade Guac, by the time I was done buying the stuff for it I dropped almost $20. At least it made her happy, but I couldnt help but think of how stupid it was the entire time.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby waborat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:08 am

Triple-S wrote:

Actually it's a very easy herb to find year round at all of the local grocers here in northeast OH...even Marc's has it for around a buck a bunch

We use it on a lot of different things: Salsa ('natch), spuds, eggs, pork chops, chicken, any & all Tex-Mex dishes, salads, etc

I've actually made the mistake of pulling in out of the fridge (I thought I was grabbing Italian parsley) and put it on top of ravioli and it was awesome!!!

Just remember to always put it on fresh at the end of cooking so it doesn't lose it's flavor...if you want to cook with it then I recommend just using dry corriander leaves
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby waborat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:13 am

Swerb wrote:This has to be the thread where waborat finally unveils his wife's salsa recipe on the free world.

Tough dish to make this time of year because of not having fresh garden tomatoes, peppers, vidalias, etc...she's made it using vine-ripe and it's very good, but not mouth-orgasmic like in the summer & fall

Although, ask & you shall receive Swerb & Peek, I'll start a new thread for it so all can find it easily...It probably needs to go in that TCF cookbook???
waborat

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:17 am

Here is my Super Bowl meal/plans:
Fire up the deep fryer around Noon for wings.
Add the Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic sauce when they are done and dig in.
Make enough to last all day.
Throw in a few Mountain Dews and you have a meal of champions.
F Shittsburgh.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:25 am

waborat wrote:

Tough dish to make this time of year because of not having fresh garden tomatoes, peppers, vidalias, etc...she's made it using vine-ripe and it's very good, but not mouth-orgasmic like in the summer & fall

Although, ask & you shall receive Swerb & Peek, I'll start a new thread for it so all can find it easily...It probably needs to go in that TCF cookbook???

Probably?

It's going on the cover.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby General » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 am

Hooters wings, Coors Light draft, wash, rinse, repeat.

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:12 am

Ty's white chili

One smallish chicken
One large jar "Great Northern Beans"
One can diced tomatoes and green chilis
Cumin
Onion
Sour Cream
SHredded Cheese (I like to go with co-jack)
Tortilla chips (best if you make your own)

Start by boiling your chicken until it is thoroughly cooked.
Remove chicken and tear it to shreds, keeping your broth.
Throw the beans, chicken, chopped onion, tomato and green chili into broth.
Add cumin and whatever else you like (Garlic, old bay, etc). Let it cook awhile!
When you serve it, dop on sour cream and cheese.
In lieu of crackers use tortilla chips.
The best chips for this soup are homemade:
just shred a tortilla shell into strips and throw in the deep fryer for a couple of seconds!!
Enjoy.
I highly recommend Gas X or Beano with this soup.
You may not need an entire chicken either. Usually I put enough chicken back to make chicken salad, or this year: Buffalo DiP!!!
Tymaster

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:15 am

FightDr wrote:Here is my Super Bowl meal/plans:
Fire up the deep fryer around Noon for wings.
Add the Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic sauce when they are done and dig in.
Make enough to last all day.
Throw in a few Mountain Dews and you have a meal of champions.
F Shittsburgh.

I love B-Dubs wing sauces, but in general, the wings there are too small and lack any meat.
I'm known to call Ponderosa and order a box of 50 wings, and then to zoom into B-Dubs for a coldie and a jar of sauce. I then spin my own at home!
Tymaster

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:02 am

I'm not a big fan of wings from there either, love the sauce also. Quaker Steak sauce is money also.
I love making my own in the deep fryer. That way I can't blame anybody if they aren't nice and crispy like I like them.
Zona.

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:19 am

WingStop's wings blow away BW3 and Ponderosa for that matter (ponderosa??). Give them a try. There was one at Cedar and Warrensville as well as a few others. Their garlic parm wings are awesome

Oh and get the fries, they are out of this world. Hand cut, dont see that shit anymore
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Tymaster » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:57 am

Ziner wrote:WingStop's wings blow away BW3 and Ponderosa for that matter (ponderosa??). Give them a try. There was one at Cedar and Warrensville as well as a few others. Their garlic parm wings are awesome

Oh and get the fries, they are out of this world. Hand cut, dont see that shit anymore

The Ponderosa in tyville actually has giant brontosaurus wings. Then I spin 'em on my own, usually with Spicy Garlic sauce, and then of course I dip them in Bleu Cheese. Those wings are the only thing you'd ever see me eat from Ponderosa. LOL.
As far as chains go, try Roosters! Do they have Rooster in Cleveland yet? The chain is based out of Dayton, and the wings are very, very good.
Tymaster

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:00 pm

Another recipe I love. This shit is good

Enchilada Chicken Dip

3 or 4 - 13 oz. cans of white chicken breast
1 - 8 oz. Philadelphia cream cheese
1 - 8 oz. bag of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1-1/2 to 2 - 10 oz. cans Green Chile Enchilada sauce (I use Old El Paso)
1/2 to 1 - 4 oz. can diced Jalapeños

Throw in a crock pot and stir until hot. Serve with Tortilla chips
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:41 pm

the only reason I miss working in Mayfield Hgts. The lunch chimichanga always hit the spot. I heard Hola closed over there too. They weren't too bad when they first opened
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

boil chicken

Channelling MeatLoaf: STOP RIGHT THERE !

"boil?"

u take chicken wings.

You cut them up

You drop them in hot grease.

You fry them bitch. Like a man.

You add hot sauce.

And butta.

Eat like there is no such thinhg as heart desease and Monday.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:00 pm

I'll toss out something I make for possible use in the TCF cookbook, not just a Superbowl recipe either.

Caribbean Jerk Chicken Pasta Salad.

Bow tie pasta
Boneless chicken breast (preferably grilled, correctly done in a fry pan will do as well)
Cucumbers
Green Onions (reg onions will do as well, small sizes though)
Green Peppers
Cherry/Grape tomatoes
Ranch dressing
Carribean Jerk Seasoning.

Cook the pasta and chicken, add the rest and chill for 4-5 hours

This is one of those put as much of any one thing as to your liking. I'd suggest start out light to moderate on the Ranch (you can always add more later, usually need to once this stuff sits for a day) and depending on your manhood go light on the Jerk at first.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Ziner wrote:

I'm not a chunky Tomato salsa or a store-bought salsa guy either. But I had salsa the other night that had a nice kick and was almost like a cocktail sauce consistency. When I asked what it was I was surprised:

Not usually a Pace fan, but this triple-pepper was good, hot but not overpoweringly so and it was the consistency you non-tomato chunk cats like.

Worth a shot. Green chilis, serrano and guajillo peppers.

How was it on your venison jerky?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Bw3 Hunny BBQ dipped in ranch
Bud Light
Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Wing Tip #1: if you're frying & want crispy skin, you better throw some coarse salt on them overnight to draw that H20 out of them or they'll have the texture of a latex glove in your mouth
waborat

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:29 pm

What kind of beer you guys getting for the SB? I was thinking about getting some Commodore Perry for the Cavs game then Bud for the SuperBowl since I can drink that all night. Just curious.

Oh another question. The wife bought a cookie cake that says Go Steelers (in Chicago of all places) from the grocery store. Would you eat it, or leave it out of spite?

Sorry for the dumb questions, slightly loaded right now due to cleaning out my collection of odd beers in the fridge.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:37 am

Ziner wrote:What kind of beer you guys getting for the SB? I was thinking about getting some Commodore Perry for the Cavs game then Bud for the SuperBowl since I can drink that all night. Just curious.

Oh another question. The wife bought a cookie cake that says Go Steelers (in Chicago of all places) from the grocery store. Would you eat it, or leave it out of spite?

Sorry for the dumb questions, slightly loaded right now due to cleaning out my collection of odd beers in the fridge.

I'd shit on it and blame the dog.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:49 am

Ziner wrote:What kind of beer you guys getting for the SB? I was thinking about getting some Commodore Perry for the Cavs game then Bud for the SuperBowl since I can drink that all night. Just curious.

Im polishing off the rest of the Christmas Ale tomorrow. The only reason it isnt gone yet is because i put a 6pk on my deck and it snowed so much that i cant get to it. That said, im digging it out tomorrow morning. Go zona!
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:16 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:

Im polishing off the rest of the Christmas Ale tomorrow. The only reason it isnt gone yet is because i put a 6pk on my deck and it snowed so much that i cant get to it. That said, im digging it out tomorrow morning. Go zona!

I have 2 left, I have been milking them.

Good idea Erie, I think I might take you up on that. I always try to get the dog to shit on her terrible towel, maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:23 pm

I cannot think of a single better image for my desktop, cell phone and avatar. Make it happen.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Ziner » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:32 am

Q. what is the most delicious thing ever

A. the taqueria down the street from me that has carne asada tacos for 1.75. Unreal, they are soooo good. mmmmm....

Sorry, drunk post. At least it is spelled properly, I can spell better blasted then some sober. :nanner:
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm

I've got 2 cases of Christmas Ale left.

Just put a new twlever in the fridge.

Cavs/Pisstons, Cardinals shock the world. Should make for a great Sunday.

I will say though, I am crapping out, passing on making all the great recipes in this thread ... and just ordering some god damn hot wings. Just don't want to deal with the prep or the clean up, and focus all my attention on sitting on my ass today.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:48 pm

I'll add my recipe, that I'm making now, and have pretty much thrown together half-assed.

3 cans of chunk chicken.
1/2 stick butter
Remnants (about 1/2 bottle) Food Club hot sauce
Two cookie sheets of nachos
Pickled jalapeno slices
1 can refried beans
Bagged shredded cheese

Pretty much mixing all that together, in stages, and baking the results. I'll let you know how it comes out (aka how the wife likes it)

It'll be topped with sour cream and Acme fresh salsa (tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, lime juice, and cilantro, if I remember right).
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:33 am

That_Guy™ wrote:
Ziner wrote:Sitting on my couch where the food is hot and fresh, the beer is good and cold, no one blocks the TV and I have my own couch. I never go out for the Super Bowl because I like watching the game and the commercials and cant stand someone talking when I want to hear something.

I know this isnt the food forum, but this is very Super Bowl appropriate, I am making homemade wings for the first time. I would appreciate any tips.

I like my wings really hot and really well done.

I like to bake my wings until they're pretty much falling apart. I cook them without sauce for about 30-40 min at 400 and then drain the pan. For the sauce I start with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Montgomery Inn and add a jar of jalepenos (chopped) and/or a habanero. Brush on fresh sauce about every 10 min or so until you run out of sauce or can't wait any longer to eat.

Another good thing to use is crushed red pepper. If you make your own BBQ sauce, then use that.

I like mine pretty hot and really well done as well. I am really going for it and am going to deep fry the wings, only live once right?

Got any wing deep frying tips, cooking times, temps, methods?

I will say one thing, you have good taste in BBQ sauce because Montgomery Inn's is some of the best anywhere, love that stuff. I think for my sauce I am going with Franks Red Hot, Butter, garlic, and probably a few dashes of some of the hotter hot sauces I have sitting around. Franks has great flavor but doesnt bring the hammer when it comes to heat.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby antikryct » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:38 pm

I got this one from a chick in high school spanish class and have been making it for years. Everyone loves it.

Pink Taco Dip (Layered)

2 packets taco seasoning mix
8 oz sour cream
8 oz cream cheese
1 lb ground beef
small jar salsa (I use pace picante...thinner is better)
8oz shredded cheddar cheese
chopped green onion
chopped tomato
small can sliced olives

* brown ground beef, drain, cook in 1 packet taco seasoning and required water per packet directions...let cool to room temp
* mix sour cream, cream cheese, and other taco seasoning packet with mixer until smooth. spread into square or rectangle pyrex pan to a smooth layer of about 1/2"
* pour salsa over top and shake around until it's an even layer about 3/8"
* add prepared taco meat for next layer...evenly pressed down into the salsa
* spread even layer of shredded cheese over top for next layer
* top with chopped green onion / tomato / sliced olives just like a taco

serve with tortilla chips...not too thin or they break easily
antikryct

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 pm

Ziner wrote:I dont know where you live but I know Whole Foods has it.

Hippy.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:24 pm

aoxo1 wrote:

Hippy.

CEO is a libertarian and won bonus points with this article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html

I think yuppy might be the better word ;-) ;) :wink:

Then again I am too cheap to shop there except for specialty ingredients I cant find anywhere else. I do however like this place, not sure if they have one near you but they are out in cali http://sprouts.com/home.php Not as fancy pants as WF, but good produce, mostly natural beef and a lot of organics.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Ziner wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

Hippy.

CEO is a libertarian and won bonus points with this article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html

Then again I am too cheap to shop there except for specialty ingredients I cant find anywhere else. I do however like this place, not sure if they have one near you but they are out in cali http://sprouts.com/home.php Not as fancy pants as WF, but good produce, mostly natural beef and a lot of organics.

I stick to Trader Joe's. Best prices on the stuff I buy, by far.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Ziner wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:

Hippy.

I stick to Trader Joe's. Best prices on the stuff I buy, by far.

Loved it in Chicago, they arent in Colorado. I can only assume it is because grocery stores can not sell beer or wine (which I have heard is a big portion of their profits). I cant think of another reason because Denver/Boulder is right up their alley
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:34 pm

going to give this a shot on sunday.

BBQ Jalapeno Poppers

18 Jalapenos
package of Cream Cheese
1/2 cup cheddar
1 green onion
18 slices of bacon
BBQ sauce

half jalapenos, mix cheddar, cream cheese and green onion, stuff jalapenos, wrap with bacon, toothpick. brush with BBQ cause Bake at 275 for an hour, Eat.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Ziner wrote:CEO is a libertarian and won bonus points with this article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html

His article didn't win any bonus points here in the HQ town, that's for sure.

We just got Sprout's here, damn I love that place. Like it a lot more than Whole Paycheck.

Also, we don't have Trader Joe's here either. I heard from someone who's sister works for TJ corporate that it's because the closest distribution center is in California, so they can't get their fresh stuff here without spoilage. Maybe that's why they're not in Denver either.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:44 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:
Ziner wrote:CEO is a libertarian and won bonus points with this article http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 65070.html

His article didn't win any bonus points here in the HQ town, that's for sure.

We just got Sprout's here, damn I love that place. Like it a lot more than Whole Paycheck.

Also, we don't have Trader Joe's here either. I heard from someone who's sister works for TJ corporate that it's because the closest distribution center is in California, so they can't get their fresh stuff here without spoilage. Maybe that's why they're not in Denver either.

Lets open a distribution center in Amarillo and we both win ;-) ;) :wink: .

Spouts is solid, has some good specialty items, good produce, good meet selection with out the absurd cost of WF.

Yeah, I think I said it at the time, that op-ed did him no favors with this customer base. The best thing about WF is if you go on Saturday you can basically fill up on samples. We usually go in and buy some random ingredient or two and I try 15 samples. Makes that overpriced stuff feel not so bad.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 pm

Just finished some homemade wings, went really, really well.

Buy the package of wings from the grocery store and split the drums from the flats.

In a large tray mix some flour, salt, pepper, paprika
Roll the wings in the flour mix, place in foil-lined tray
Bake in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes, flip and cook another 10
I let them cool for a while before frying, but make sure to take them out of the tray or they'll stick and pull off the skin.

In a separate large container mix BBQ sauce (I used Bulls Eye KC style), apricot preserves, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, spicy mustard, garlic powder, ground ginger and The Pepper Plant pepper sauce Image. Sriracha may work well too.

Fry the wings in oil for 7-10 minutes depending on how crispy you want them.

Dump the wings into the sauce and shake. Best I've made at home.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:03 pm

I traditionally make brats. This is the shopping list. The recipe for the pepper topping is below.

Ingredients:

Brats (or any kind of sausage you like)
Buns (get the big kind...you'll need the space)
garlic
shallots
yellow onion
red pepper
yellow pepper
green pepper
jalepeno pepper (seeded or with seeds depending on how hot you want it)
Anahiem chili
Cheddar cheese
sauerkraut (optional - your buns may not be able to hold it [TWSS])
Chix stock 1 can
butter
olive oil
S&P
bay leaf
dried oregano

Heat your largest skillet with a couple tablespoons each of olive oil and butter. All the the veggies should be chopped into strips and seeded (unless you want it hot, then keep the Jalepeno seeds.) Add the onion, garlic and shallot and cook on med low heat until the onions begin to turn brown, add all the peppers and cook a few minutes more. Add the stock, the herbs and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat and let that shit fuse and reduce baby. Takes an hour if you do it right.

Any leftovers can be stored in a old spagetti jar for a pretty long time in the fridge (the peppers act as a preservative) to enjoy any time you want a hot dog or sausage. It's the bomb.

This usually makes a 1/2 dozen and then cut them in half for the party. People love'em.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry