Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians won't sign Manny

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians won't sign Manny

Unread postby Lokais » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:07 pm

Gee, no kidding....

"Could you sign Manny Ramirez?" the young boy asked Indians general manager Mark Shapiro.

Shapiro's reply?

"Could I?" he said with a smile. "Or would I?"

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=cle
Lokais

Re: Indians won't sign Manny

Unread postby Babrook » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:25 pm

There is a reason no one has signed him yet.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:44 pm

if i was a GM (of any team mind you, not the indians) i would sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. if you make him as happy as possible, he'll put up numbers. he's Man Ram
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

jordan kramer wrote:if i was a GM (of any team mind you, not the indians) i would sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. if you make him as happy as possible, he'll put up numbers. he's Man Ram

If 20 million dollars a year for 7 years couldn't make him happy, please explain how you will? Are you going to buy off the media to be super nice to him? Are you going to tell the manager to look the other way when he decides not to make an effort on any given day? Are you going to throw any fan that boos him out of the park? Are you going to tell the players they can't say anything but joy-joy things to Manny?

If I'm not mistaken, Manny I believe was originally hoping for a 4 year deal at 25 million per when he filed free agency. So if you want to guarantee his happiness, that's the first thing you'll have to do - is give him the contract he wanted in the first place. Then you have to pretty much do everything I pointed out in the previous paragraph.

Saying you're going to make him as happy as possible isn't quite as simple (or cheap) as you believe it would be.
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:14 pm

I absolutely could not stand watching the guy in the field or on the base paths. My disdain for this man is so profound, I think the baseball writers need to consider him as a DH, and not vote him into the HOF.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jordan kramer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:16 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:if i was a GM (of any team mind you, not the indians) i would sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. if you make him as happy as possible, he'll put up numbers. he's Man Ram

If 20 million dollars a year for 7 years couldn't make him happy, please explain how you will? Are you going to buy off the media to be super nice to him? Are you going to tell the manager to look the other way when he decides not to make an effort on any given day? Are you going to throw any fan that boos him out of the park? Are you going to tell the players they can't say anything but joy-joy things to Manny?

If I'm not mistaken, Manny I believe was originally hoping for a 4 year deal at 25 million per when he filed free agency. So if you want to guarantee his happiness, that's the first thing you'll have to do - is give him the contract he wanted in the first place. Then you have to pretty much do everything I pointed out in the previous paragraph.

Saying you're going to make him as happy as possible isn't quite as simple (or cheap) as you believe it would be.

i think he was pretty happy in LA (except for having to cut his locks) and look what he did. the man was born to rake if i had the access to that kind of money there isn't a better professional hitter out there
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

jordan kramer

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:20 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I absolutely could not stand watching the guy in the field or on the base paths. My disdain for this man is so profound, I think the baseball writers need to consider him as a DH, and not vote him into the HOF.

Dude's going to hit 600 HR if he plays three more seasons. Nine Silver Slugger awards. He's 9th ALL-TIME in OPS. He's 20th all time in RBI.

Most similar batters according to Baseball-Reference:

Frank Thomas (873)
Jim Thome (829)
Jimmie Foxx (828)
Jeff Bagwell (827)
Alex Rodriguez (818)
Mickey Mantle (811)
Ted Williams (810)
Gary Sheffield (804)
Chipper Jones (800)
Ken Griffey (797)

At least 7 of those 10 guys will be in the Hall of Fame. (Honestly, Sheff and Bagwell are the two that won't get in).

He's a first ballot guy, even with all of his baserunning and fielding blunders. The guy can flat out rake.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
Dude's going to hit 600 HR if he plays three more seasons. Nine Silver Slugger awards. He's 9th ALL-TIME in OPS. He's 20th all time in RBI.

Frank Thomas (873)
Jim Thome (829)
Jimmie Foxx (828)
Jeff Bagwell (827)
Alex Rodriguez (818)
Mickey Mantle (811)
Ted Williams (810)
Gary Sheffield (804)
Chipper Jones (800)
Ken Griffey (797)

At least 7 of those 10 guys will be in the Hall of Fame. (Honestly, Sheff and Bagwell are the two that won't get in).

He's a first ballot guy, even with all of his baserunning and fielding blunders. The guy can flat out rake.

I know. But I love to hate on lazy A-holes who take their talent for granted. Fuck that guy, and the Silver Slugger he rode in on.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

Frank Thomas (873)
Jim Thome (829)
Jimmie Foxx (828)
Jeff Bagwell (827)
Alex Rodriguez (818)
Mickey Mantle (811)
Ted Williams (810)
Gary Sheffield (804)
Chipper Jones (800)
Ken Griffey (797)

I know. But I love to hate on lazy A-holes who take their talent for granted. Fuck that guy, and the Silver Slugger he rode in on.

Lazy A-hole? Nobody works harder on their swing than Manny. NOBODY. He knows he doesn't get paid to field but still played the Green Monster very well. Probably one of the 5 best right-handed hitters ever.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby jameseboy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Yeah that lazy one is way way off base..he has worked hard on his game since he was just a kid and still does, the LA guys said he was a great influence on the young guys just with the way he approached the game and how hard he worked at it...darn hard to do after playing since you were a kid..30 years and tons of money in the bank and still working hard...
jameseboy

Unread postby Anglefan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:48 pm

He's better than top five right handed hitters all time. Name one better. He's THE greatest right handed hitter of all time.
Anglefan

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:18 pm

I love Manny. I love watching him hit, he is one of the best hitters of all time.

But his time and place with this team was in the 90's. He doesn't fit this team now. This team came up together. They have chemistry and for the most part, low salaries. You don't just plunk down a $20+ mil superstar into the middle of this team and expect it to work.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby dmiles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:22 pm

The guy is supposed to be a really hard worker in the weight room. For all his power he really isn't that big.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm

i think he was pretty happy in LA (except for having to cut his locks) and look what he did. the man was born to rake if i had the access to that kind of money there isn't a better professional hitter out there

He is maybe the best hitter in the game but he is anything but professional.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Anglefan wrote:He's better than top five right handed hitters all time. Name one better. He's THE greatest right handed hitter of all time.

Rogers Hornsby
A-Rod
Albert Pujols
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 am

You guys missed my point. I agree, Manny is the best RH hitter I have ever seen.

Fuck him. Fuck his awful fielding. Fuck his terrible base running. Fuck his idiot savant persona. If this guy was any less amazing at the plate, he'd never make the HOF. 5 tool player? Busted his ass every game? Left it all out on the field?

Not in my book. If I was his manager and he pulled that shit, he'd never see the field. He's the only person I have ever seen that can give up 3 runs in the field, and get them back in one at bat. You guys want to jerk him off, fine. To me, he's a DH.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 am

Erie Warrior wrote:You guys missed my point. I agree, Manny is the best RH hitter I have ever seen.

Fuck him. Fuck his awful fielding. Fuck his terrible base running. Fuck his idiot savant persona. If this guy was any less amazing at the plate, he'd never make the HOF. 5 tool player? Busted his ass every game? Left it all out on the field?

Not in my book. If I was his manager and he pulled that shit, he'd never see the field. He's the only person I have ever seen that can give up 3 runs in the field, and get them back in one at bat. You guys want to jerk him off, fine. To me, he's a DH.

While I agree he is a dipshit, selfish, lazy, ass... who would you rather have in LF, Dellucci or ManRam.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Raoul Duke » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:47 am

I must say that when Manny left the Indians, that was the worst day of my life as a tribe fan...
So this is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...
Raoul Duke

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: the grinder type

Unread postby slegend » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:04 am

Ripping Manny? I guess each person has the right to an opinion...

Manny is simply an elite talent... Perhaps the game's elite hitting machine of all-time...

The only reason he has not signed a new contract are the demands - he wants more years than teams want to invest given his age...
slegend
Attention Whore

Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:46 pm

slegend wrote:Ripping Manny? I guess each person has the right to an opinion...

Manny is simply an elite talent... Perhaps the game's elite hitting machine of all-time...

The only reason he has not signed a new contract are the demands - he wants more years than teams want to invest given his age...

Yes! Even if it is an opinion born of rage, and fired in the pit of hatred. Even if said opinion is insane, and more of a personal vendetta than anything else. You guys hate on Casey Blake, I hate on Manny.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Chiefroy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:52 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:I love Manny. I love watching him hit, he is one of the best hitters of all time.

But his time and place with this team was in the 90's. He doesn't fit this team now. This team came up together. They have chemistry and for the most part, low salaries. You don't just plunk down a $20+ mil superstar into the middle of this team and expect it to work.

Well, it'd be nice to just SEE if it'd work. Our CHEMISTRY ain't got us too far. A guy with WS rings and a big bat returning to Cleveland might be a nice ingredient to try if we could. It ain't gonna happen of course....but the Kerry Wood signing SHOULD give our SPs more confidence and a Manny signing SHOULD give our offense more confidence. It'd certainly take some pressure off of Pronk after his signing/collapse. Manny is not only a great hitter, he's also a funloving/entertaining/seat filler. His fan-in-the-stands high-five was TOO cool. And even his F-ups are highlight material.

Shapiro WOULD and so would I.
Chiefroy

Least Favorite Player: garysheffield

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:37 pm

honestly, when the Tribe was playing Boston in the ALCS who was the hitter you were most afraid of? there is nowhere you can pitch to Man Ram where he won't hit the ball hard.

i love watching him hit. i enjoy "Manny being Manny" i don't know anyone in the majors who has more fun playing than him. he's like a little kid, and he can be temperamental, but thats what you have to deal with if you want to have the best right-handed hitter of the era on your team

jordan kramer

Unread postby Crash Davis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:08 pm

jordan kramer wrote:honestly, when the Tribe was playing Boston in the ALCS who was the hitter you were most afraid of? there is nowhere you can pitch to Man Ram where he won't hit the ball hard.

i love watching him hit. i enjoy "Manny being Manny" i don't know anyone in the majors who has more fun playing than him. he's like a little kid, and he can be temperamental, but thats what you have to deal with if you want to have the best right-handed hitter of the era on your team

Manny is immature and lazy but he's the best damn right handed hitter I have seen in my lifetime. Imagine if he actually worked his ass off how good he could be.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby 1Perry » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 pm

slegend wrote:Ripping Manny? I guess each person has the right to an opinion...

They don't wish to give the years because they are afraid to give him 4 years and only get 2 1/2.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Took me a while to find the Manny thread, but I wanted to add this latest article to it.....
Everybody Being Manny. Imagine that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4018367&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby TribeNut » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Awesome article, Tribe Zone, thanks for posting it.
TribeNut
Late Inning Defensive Replacement

Favorite Player: Lou Marson
Least Favorite Player: Aj Pierzinski

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:58 pm

No prob, TN..... :thumb up:

IMO, after reading about Manny over the years, here's a guy who works hard at his craft, and comes to the game ready to have fun with it....

Players/teams, get so wound up with trying to excell, they forget that it is just a game. Manny runs with that notion. How many times, and players, have we had that could have possibly improved their game with the "Lighten Up, its just a game" attitude?

And IMO, concerning Boston, I think Manny and Bostons friendship grew stale, pungent a long time ago....So he forced the issue when his cries went unheard........I think he knew exactly what he was doing by giving them several good reasons to get rid of him, escalating the severity of each reason after the former attempt didn't get the job done..............Hows that for a different viewpont?

I think a return of Manny to Cleveland does far more good than harm to the team, and the city.....
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby Huge0126 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Good read. He's a headcase but as a hitter he's at a higher level. His short-term memory (where did I put my paycheck?) is a huge plus for him. If I was a teammate, I'd have trouble putting up with his antics.
Huge0126

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB