Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Why no foul calls?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Why no foul calls?

Unread postby sk82day » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:14 am

Over the past week or 2 of games the Cavs get less and less foul calls for them. I said this early in the season, it seems like after every whistle Cavs players go and discuss the call with the refs, over and over. Sometimes as many as 15+ times a game. Could this be part of the reason for the sudden drop in calls for them? What do the rest of you think, has merit? No bearing?
sk82day

Re: Why no foul calls?

Unread postby drewd » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:51 am

sk82day wrote:Over the past week or 2 of games the Cavs get less and less foul calls for them. I said this early in the season, it seems like after every whistle Cavs players go and discuss the call with the refs, over and over. Sometimes as many as 15+ times a game. Could this be part of the reason for the sudden drop in calls for them? What do the rest of you think, has merit? No bearing?

B/c LeBron whines to much and has a bad reputation with the refs...

I hate NBA refs personally, I think they swing games on purpose for the ratings, the closer the games the more ppl stay tuned in and stay in the arena...

They should fire them all, and hire college refs...
Last edited by drewd on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:52 am

I think it's obvious that they aren't getting alot of calls lately... but I feel it's the same for the other teams as well. I think it's just the refs letting them play. I've always wanted them to "let them play" instead of calling these meaningless fouls, and I noticed it hardcore during the game vs the Lakers. I liked it. Hard-nosed basketball.

On the other side of the spectrum, LBJ has been a bit of a crybaby lately. During tonight's game, sometimes it was warranted... but during the Lakers game, most of the plays where he was complaining about not getting the call was a play where he really wasn't fouled.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:44 am

A major reason the Cavs aren't going to the line is that they aren't going inside nearly as much. They are taking a ton of jump shots (a horrible habit for this team to get into). They aren't attacking the rim on the drive or posting up nearly as much. That is how you go to the line.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:57 am

Bill the Butcher wrote:I think it's obvious that they aren't getting alot of calls lately... but I feel it's the same for the other teams as well. I think it's just the refs letting them play. I've always wanted them to "let them play" instead of calling these meaningless fouls, and I noticed it hardcore during the game vs the Lakers. I liked it. Hard-nosed basketball.

On the other side of the spectrum, LBJ has been a bit of a crybaby lately. During tonight's game, sometimes it was warranted... but during the Lakers game, most of the plays where he was complaining about not getting the call was a play where he really wasn't fouled.

I think the notion of "letting them play" goes out the window when the game isn't called the same for both teams. You bring up the LA game where LeBron repeatedly is hacked (murdered some of the time) and gets no call and then on the opposite end, LeBron is called for a foul when Kobe is taking a fadeaway jumpshot. I'm sorry but I see at least 10 times a game where LeBron drives, gets some (not a lot but enough for any other player in the league to get the call) body contact and gets no call, and then watch him justifiably complain. It's going back to the Shaq-rules of basketball; LeBron is just SOOO much more big/quick/dominant than anybody else, he gets special, albeit unfair, treatment.

I do have to say that I don't like where this Cavs team is going in the whining department. A few more games like this and they'll be in San Antonio and Detroit territory.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Juannieboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 am

Calls. No calls. :dead: I'm convinced it has more to do with the eye of the beholder (fan). I was reading a TrailBazers blogs game and post game thread this AM and they were complaining bitterly about the refs last night. Really? That's not the way I viewed it. If anybody got jobbed by the Zebras last night it was the Cavs. Right?

The refs have a tough job. They are not often in the best position to see everything or they see fouls, traveling, last touches and other calls from the wrong angle. Also, I think the speed of the NBA game makes it very hard for them to be consisent and correct more often than not.

I hate them just as much as the next guy but I think the players understand that its part of the game that has to be overcome. Last night the Cavs did and won. This morning the Trailbazer fans are complaining like the friggin losers they are.

Sure, Lebron complains alot and I think most of it is justifed. If it were me, I'd complain alot more and probably would have been tossed from half the games so far. :cheers:
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 am

It's just the way the league is. Home cooking has become an understood reality. Next time we are at home, try to be objective and see the calls that start coming our way.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 am

OldDawg wrote:A major reason the Cavs aren't going to the line is that they aren't going inside nearly as much. They are taking a ton of jump shots (a horrible habit for this team to get into). They aren't attacking the rim on the drive or posting up nearly as much. That is how you go to the line.

ding ding ding... we got a winner. This is the reason Larry Hughes never went to the foul line and Sasha never goes. In 39 games played thus far in 2009 Sasha has gone to the line 25 times.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 am

Toxicadam wrote:It's just the way the league is. Home cooking has become an understood reality. Next time we are at home, try to be objective and see the calls that start coming our way.

I've seen terrible calls go against the Cavs at home games as well. I was at the Boston game in January where ref #9 made 3 terrible calls in the opening minutes of the game. I don't think it's really home cooking; I think the refs are just THAT bad. The speed of the game doesn't help but it doesn't seem like the NBA cares too much about the quality of reffing, only that they don't bet on games.

And I'd like to think of myself has pretty objective because no one (among people I watch games with) points out LeBron's walks (dramatization: :woot:) more than me.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Juannieboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:11 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Toxicadam wrote:
And I'd like to think of myself has pretty objective because no one (among people I watch games with) points out LeBron's walks (dramatization: :woot:) more than me.

The King was called twice for walking/steps/traveling last night. Yet, all Boston, Washington, etc. fans complain about is that he gets away with it more often than not. They claim that the league wants LeBron to be the face of the NBA and accords him special favor and rules! :lmfao:
Juannieboy

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Juannieboy wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Toxicadam wrote:

The King was called twice for walking/steps/traveling last night. Yet, all Boston, Washington, etc. fans complain about is that he gets away with it more often than not. They claim that the league wants LeBron to be the face of the NBA and accords him special favor and rules! :lmfao:

I think he's been called for traveling/carrying more this year than in the rest of his career combined. At least they're (sorta, I'm looking at you D-Wade) calling it on all the stars.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby AK-ROWDY » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:30 pm

I think that the crab dribble might have hurt LeBron because now the refs are looking out for it. That explains the increase in travel calls. Also the ref that called the travel agianst LBJ in Washington empowered the others and have made them realize that he's not perfect. k
AK-ROWDY

Favorite Player: Peyton Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Steelers

Unread postby fundamentals » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:41 pm

LBJ has whined, cried, complained about officiating since he was at Akron SVSM. He constantly was posing to them about non-calls, etc... Funny thing was/is in the state finals in his junior season, he was beaten up the entire game by Beckham Wyrick (who went onto play at Davidson, I believe) and the officials paid no attention to it, including a vicious elbow he took to the stomach very early in that game, so I don't find it surprising that he's not getting things called in his favor.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm

drewd wrote:B/c LeBron whines to much and has a bad reputation with the refs...

That can't be it. The Spurs are the whiniest team in the league and they don't get hosed. The '80s Celtics were the biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever seen on a basketball court, hands-down, and they got EVERY call.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Bill the Butcher » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Toxicadam wrote:It's just the way the league is. Home cooking has become an understood reality. Next time we are at home, try to be objective and see the calls that start coming our way.

Although I may like it when the calls go our way if/when we're in The Finals... but I still frown upon the idea of homecourt advantage and home cooking calls.
4thQtrGlory wrote:If we got all that, i would hang a browns flag from my boner for 2 weeks straight...
Bill the Butcher

Favorite Player: Federer
Least Favorite Player: Anything Boston

Unread postby Juannieboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:
drewd wrote:B/c LeBron whines to much and has a bad reputation with the refs...

That can't be it. The Spurs are the whiniest team in the league and they don't get hosed. The '80s Celtics were the biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever seen on a basketball court, hands-down, and they got EVERY call.

I think part of it is that LeBron is so good and so gifted and he makes it look so easy that if a call is "borderline" he won't get the call. But, lets face it, at times he has been absolutely mugged without a call too.

Having said that, the refs hear it from both sides all game long and during time-outs. After listening ,or pretending to listen, I bet they just tune it out. Like I do my wife sometimes.
Juannieboy

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA