Text Size

College Sports Arena

Rivals' "expert" predictions

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Predictions on the uncommitted big names:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/co ... CID=901193
User avatar
JoJo White
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Intently listening to your fantasy football story
Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 pm

JoJo, watch for Dexter Pratt to sign somewhere else (probably Ok St) in a couple of weeks. Not near the caliber of these guys, but nonetheless, pretty good 4 star power back.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:JoJo, watch for Dexter Pratt to sign somewhere else (probably Ok St) in a couple of weeks. Not near the caliber of these guys, but nonetheless, pretty good 4 star power back.


Yeah, I've heard the rumors around Pratt and LSU over the last week. At first, the story was a clearinghouse issue; then it was "I didn't know there would be so many other RBs," then it's something else.

All told, not a really huge loss at RB for LSU as they were set at RB this year and are in pretty good shape with Lache Seastrunk in 2010. But, LB looks a little thin and if the plan was Pratt at LB, well...

EDIT - Every year, I say to myself, "I'm not going to follow recruiting," yet it's like an addiction and I end up following it religiously. Maybe next year I'll be so bitter at the whole recruiting game following the Jamarkus McFarland fiasco that I won't follow it, but who am I kidding...
User avatar
JoJo White
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Intently listening to your fantasy football story
Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:59 am

I thought I read somwhere that Michigan is now Marcus Hall's new favorite b/c of the instant PT he would get there.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:30 pm

People close to Marcus Hall recruiting are saying that nothing has changed and that he is still 100% OSU. I have no first hand info, but these are guys that are generally right. FWIW, Hall would probably have immediate PT at OSU also on the second team. OL 2nd teamers get plenty of PT and with Shugarts injury status in doubt, Hall could realistically compete for the RT job next year.

I cannot believe that people are projecting Morgan Moses to UVA... seriously, the guy could not academically qualify for OSU. Does UVA admit guys with serious academic issues? Based on the rep of the university, I would find his admission very surprising. UNC is a possibility, but I was told that Moses would require some pretty serious exceptions no matter where he went, and that he could not qualify at OSU, hence the reason he was never offered and his official visit was cancelled.

Interesting to see that someone has projected Marlon Brown to OSU. That would be a pretty big surprise, although he is reported to really like OSU and supposedly the Bucks have as good a chance as anyone. If he were to come to OSU, he would almost certainly become the #2 guy immediately. Posey, Brown, and two of Stoneburner (who may be next year's #2 now anyways) Small, Fields, Jackson, and Sanzenbacher give the Buckeyes a formidable set of spread receivers.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6442
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Yeah, I've heard the rumors around Pratt and LSU over the last week. At first, the story was a clearinghouse issue; then it was "I didn't know there would be so many other RBs," then it's something else.


Apparently he came to BR to start the spring semester without having been cleared by the clearinghouse. That being said, LSU could not allow him to move into the on-campus student athlete apartments and he got pissed and went home. I guess he doesn't feel like LSU was doing enough, although I'm not sure what else they can do within the rules at this point.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby JoJo White » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:59 pm

Interesting that Oklahoma St is becoming somewhat of a haven for recruits that can't get into other schools or where there are "issues" involved in an athlete's recruitment.
User avatar
JoJo White
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: Intently listening to your fantasy football story
Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:27 am

JoJo White wrote:Interesting that Oklahoma St is becoming somewhat of a haven for recruits that can't get into other schools or where there are "issues" involved in an athlete's recruitment.


Is becoming? Don't you mean "is reviving the recruiting of the Jimmy Johnson years"?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3711
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:56 pm

Apparently last night on a Columbus TV station Wall to Wall sports Bill Kurelic the old recruiting guru said Marcus Hall told him Michigan was his leader FWIW
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:50 pm

I have heard and read the same things, but I am not giving up on Marcus yet, although this is indeed an unforeseen set of circumstances. At some point you have to think that depth is certainly an issue, but it shouldn't necessarily be that way with Hall. I am nearly certain now that the Buckeyes will lose out on Boyd due to depth, but Hall to scUM is really surprising. Hall could go to scUM and immediately be the best OLman on their team, but he should be good enough to win some PT at OSU too. Perhaps he only wants to play LT because that is where the NFL money is. I am pretty sure that a healthy Adams beats out Hall for the job; he is every bit as athletic, has slightly better feet, and at 6'8" has the length that offensive coordinators dream about.

I hope that doesn't sound like sour grapes, it is not intended to. I would love to land Hall, but he is by no means a must have. OSU would be fine (most likely) with Shugarts and Adams starting outside with Longo and Fragel providing depth going forward into 2010 and 11.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6442
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Mcreek wrote:Apparently last night on a Columbus TV station Wall to Wall sports Bill Kurelic the old recruiting guru said Marcus Hall told him Michigan was his leader FWIW



This is true I watched it myself. He said OSU is still "very much in the running".......PT is obviously whats drawing him to scUM.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 pm

If you choose scUM because they suck and you can play quicker, good riddance.

WWWD?

Blitz the ever living shit right over him.

On every down.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:02 am

I don't think it would be sour grapes losing out on Hall nor do I think its a huge loss because of what we might have in Fragel who apparently was destroying people in some of the All Star games.

Hall should have a talk with Jim Lachey the former AA and All pro who played both guard and Tackle at OSU. If your that good the NFL scouts and player personnel people will recognize those skills especially today with all of the post season tests they run on players both on campus workouts and the combines.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:54 pm

If the Buckeyes can land Boyd, Brown, and Hall that'd be an amazing finish to the recruiting season. Unfortunately, I don't think Boyd wants to wait for at least 2 years to play behind Pryor so I don't think we'll get him. Brown I still think we have a chance at getting and I'm pretty sure Hall will wind up at OSU. We need to get at least 1 of the 3, 2 would be extremely satisfying, and all 3 would be absolutely incredible.

Go Bucks.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 pm

OSU has a pretty solid history of sending good O-Linemen to the NFL. I hope he comes here, if not do what Pup said and blitz him all day.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:39 pm

More important CDT is that DickRod does not have that rep. In his O, you are going to do very little traditional pass blocking. Another nice aspect of OSU's offense, though probably under appreciated by most, is that OSU runs about 1/2 zone blocking and 1/2 power/traditional run blocking. It really gives the players a chance to learn and showcase skills that NFL teams are interested in.

As for the sour grapes, I didn't want to sound like it was sour grapes toward Marcus. The point I am trying to make is that I would prefer both Adams and Shugarts to Hall.

None of the remaining 3 is a must get for the Bucks, any one of the 3 would be nice. That is a great place to be, and regardless of how this class winds down, it is the best class tressel has signed yet.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6442
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Offensive line has been one of our weaknesses in the past couple seasons. This upcoming year we should be pretty good; young, but pretty dang good. I'm really liking a line of Adams, Boren, Brewster, Cordle/Browning, and Shugarts. However, you can never have enough depth on the O-Line, especially with Shugarts not going to be able to be ready in time for spring ball. And there's no way we can get through another season with Browning at right tackle...
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm

FWIW...

There's a guy who posts on the free board at Scout who is considered by program insiders to be the most reliable authority on Marcus's Hall's situation....this guy is personally close with Marcus. He characterizes the current state of play with Hall as 95% OSU, 3% USC and 2% Tennessee.

He has reportedly eliminated Michigan and Illinois entirely.

I think he has one more visit (UT?) before announcing. Looks like he'll be a Buckeye.

Again...take with as many grains of salt as you require.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

I hope he is right. This recruitment has almost as much drama as the Pryor one last year. (whew)
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:55 pm

What is this guy, the seconding coming of Orlando Pace?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What is this guy, the seconding coming of Orlando Pace?


No, but we've already got that in Mike Adams. Adams can be the best lineman we've had at OSU in quite some time if he can stay healthy.

However, a lot of people are VERY high on Hall. He's going to be an excellent tackle for us if we get him I think. And you can NEVER have enough offensive lineman on a team. I'm pretty sure he'll end up being a Buckeye...at least I hope.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What is this guy, the seconding coming of Orlando Pace?


No, but we've already got that in Mike Adams. Adams can be the best lineman we've had at OSU in quite some time if he can stay healthy.

However, a lot of people are VERY high on Hall. He's going to be an excellent tackle for us if we get him I think. And you can NEVER have enough offensive lineman on a team. I'm pretty sure he'll end up being a Buckeye...at least I hope.


Hey what part of Columbus are you in?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What is this guy, the seconding coming of Orlando Pace?


No, but we've already got that in Mike Adams. Adams can be the best lineman we've had at OSU in quite some time if he can stay healthy.

However, a lot of people are VERY high on Hall. He's going to be an excellent tackle for us if we get him I think. And you can NEVER have enough offensive lineman on a team. I'm pretty sure he'll end up being a Buckeye...at least I hope.


Hey what part of Columbus are you in?


I'm a sophomore at Ohio State so I'm stationed here for the school year. I'm originally from Youngstown and was born in Cleveland.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:What is this guy, the seconding coming of Orlando Pace?


No, but we've already got that in Mike Adams. Adams can be the best lineman we've had at OSU in quite some time if he can stay healthy.

However, a lot of people are VERY high on Hall. He's going to be an excellent tackle for us if we get him I think. And you can NEVER have enough offensive lineman on a team. I'm pretty sure he'll end up being a Buckeye...at least I hope.


Hey what part of Columbus are you in?


I'm a sophomore at Ohio State so I'm stationed here for the school year. I'm originally from Youngstown and was born in Cleveland.


Nice. Attended OSU myself. Had alot of fun at that school. The Thirsty Scholar was my second home.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm

Some people see Hall as a prototype right tackle, while others think he could just as effectively slide down to guard. I doubt that he could start in '09 (I think Cordle and Boren will be the guards, and Adams and Shugarts/Browning the tackles) but he could conceivably be in the 2-deep at tackle or guard. He looked very good in the Army A-A Game (at RT)

He got offers from all the big boys, including USC.

By the way, he can't be the next Orlando Pace...because Mike Adams is the next Orlando Pace.

Edit: (oops...I see someone already beat me to that line.)
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:18 pm

Nice. Attended OSU myself. Had alot of fun at that school. The Thirsty Scholar was my second home.


I was a Varsity Club guy myself. Their Roast Beef lunch special on Thursday was the shit.

I like Hall alot, but prefer Adams and Shugart. Line depth is a nice problem to have. I am not sure there is a starting spot for him next year, I actually think he may end up as a guard at OSU, or if he is good enough perhaps push Shugarts/Adams to guard. It is hard to project how these guys turn out, so who knows, he could be better than both. Man, wouldn't that be a great problem!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6442
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm really high on Adams and Shugarts as well. Although this injury to Shugarts keeping him out of spring ball worries me a bit. There's no way we can go throw another season with Browning at tackle, he's just out of position there. I'm not going to completely give up on him because I think he can be a solid offensive lineman, just at guard...not tackle. IMO it's between him and Cordle for that last guard spot because there's no way Boren will be out of the starting lineup. Adams is going to be a wall at left tackle and we've already seen how talented Brewster is in the middle. Hopefully Hall can come here and learn from some of these guys and contribute in his sophomore year.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:52 pm

I was a Varsity Club guy myself. Their Roast Beef lunch special on Thursday was the shit.


Love the VC also. I was in there the day before the '02 Michigan game, Two scUM fans walked in and walked right out.

I'll be glad to see Alex Boone go. The guy has all the talent he is just empty between the ears. I always laugh when I think about Tress banning him from talking to the media. The O-Line we are putting together could be all very early round NFL picks down the road. Is there a better recruiter in that nation than the Vest?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
I was a Varsity Club guy myself. Their Roast Beef lunch special on Thursday was the shit.


Love the VC also. I was in there the day before the '02 Michigan game, Two scUM fans walked in and walked right out.

I'll be glad to see Alex Boone go. The guy has all the talent he is just empty between the ears. I always laugh when I think about Tress banning him from talking to the media. The O-Line we are putting together could be all very early round NFL picks down the road. Is there a better recruiter in that nation than the Vest?


Pete Carroll is a hell of a recruiter, but in reality he has an easy job. Anywhere west of Texas and you want to play football at USC...it's the only big time program out west. Here in the midwest Tressel has to deal with Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame as big time programs; as well as programs on the rise like West Virginia, Michigan State, etc.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:14 pm

FWIW,

Hall has announced that scUM is officially out.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6442
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:06 pm

This kid is all over the map, very impulsive like most 17 year olds lol I guess now he has a Miami, FLA trip left. Its looking pretty good for OSU as some have said all along.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby aoxo1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
I was a Varsity Club guy myself. Their Roast Beef lunch special on Thursday was the shit.


Love the VC also. I was in there the day before the '02 Michigan game, Two scUM fans walked in and walked right out.

I'll be glad to see Alex Boone go. The guy has all the talent he is just empty between the ears. I always laugh when I think about Tress banning him from talking to the media. The O-Line we are putting together could be all very early round NFL picks down the road. Is there a better recruiter in that nation than the Vest?


Pete Carroll is a hell of a recruiter, but in reality he has an easy job. Anywhere west of Texas and you want to play football at USC...it's the only big time program out west. Here in the midwest Tressel has to deal with Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame as big time programs; as well as programs on the rise like West Virginia, Michigan State, etc.


That's why USC was such a power in the years before Carroll got there, what with their 2 shared Pac-10 titles in the 90s.

Give me a break. Carroll pulls in lots of top players from all over the country. No one else brings in the kind and numbers of players from all over that he manages to. Yeah, USC is the traditional best team out west, but UCLA/Cal/Oregon/Washington all have had very good programs. It is to Carroll's credit that USC has basically made it a race for 2nd place in the Pac-10 every year.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:33 am

Good points Aoxo1.

Pete Carroll is a hell of a recruiter, but in reality he has an easy job. Anywhere west of Texas and you want to play football at USC...it's the only big time program out west. Here in the midwest Tressel has to deal with Michigan, Penn State, and Notre Dame as big time programs; as well as programs on the rise like West Virginia, Michigan State, etc.


I will connect the dots. Carroll deserves the credit for filling the vacuum, USC is what is now because of
Carroll. TSV is actually doing something similar here. scUM is dying, at least in small part, due to some of the talent holes caused by TSV locking down the border. The rivalry has swung, and now the Big Ten is primarily between OSU and PSU. scUM relies/relied on Ohio players that they are no longer getting, and now Tressel is cherry picking PA too. This 09 class is ridiculous and rumors are now swirling that OSU may end with Hall, Boyd, and Marlon Brown (51, 52, 53 by rivals rankings). Wow.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
User avatar
furls
Buckeye Insider
 
Posts: 6442
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:53 am

Update on Hall and Boyd.

As many of you know, Hall has officially narrowed it down to OSU and Miami. And an inside Miami source would say he's 95% confident that Hall will NOT end up at Miami. This is pretty good evidence that Hall will end up at OSU like we all thought he would.

Now onto the real surprise, Boyd. My inside sources are letting us know that Boyd is announcing his decision tomorrow and it's most likely going to be OSU. In fact, OSU had a quarterback scheduled to visit this upcoming weekend, Austin Boucher. However, just recently his visit was cancelled. Boucher's biggest offer at the time was Toledo and it was said that if OSU wasn't going to get Boyd they were going to offer Boucher. However, the Boucher visit has been cancelled leading many to believe Boyd will be a Buckeye.

Only time will tell.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 am

Furls wrote:Good points Aoxo1.

This 09 class is ridiculous and rumors are now swirling that OSU may end with Hall, Boyd, and Marlon Brown (51, 52, 53 by rivals rankings). Wow.


:nanner: I'll second that..WOW!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:09 am

My inside sources are letting us know that Boyd is announcing his decision tomorrow and it's most likely going to be OSU. In fact,


And the Clemson inside sources say OSU is out and Clemson is the team to beat for Boyd
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Boyd will officially be announcing at 5:00 pm on Tuesday. Go Bucks.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Mcreek » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:15 am

On this Boyd recruitment, I have never experienced so much drama in my life on the internet. Allowing myself along with countless other adults to hypervenilate over the decision of a 17 year old's college decision was pretty embarassing yesterday :wha?:
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
User avatar
Mcreek
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:57 pm
Location: Venice, Florida

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Boyd officially commits to Clemson...dayum.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Chief24Wahoo wrote:Boyd officially commits to Clemson...dayum.



Freaking loser.

Afraid of competing for a spot. Go lose 25 times in the next 4 years ya bum!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:16 am

Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:28 am

Chief24Wahoo wrote:Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...


Maybe his goal is to have a decent shot at playing time so he can develop and play in the NFL. Or maybe he just wanted to be able to play for more than 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't make it to the NFL.

We all know Pryor is the starter barring disaster and that Boyd has no real chance of unseating him for the next 2, and possibly 3, years. If Pryor turns out to not be a great pro prospect by the time his junior year is over, Boyd would be looking at 1 year of starting. Meh, I can't blame kids for wanting to play when they only have a short window to do it.

When I see people criticize a guy for transferring just because he got beat out, that seems goofy to me. I applaud Pat Devlin for transferring; these guys only have a few years and if they are forced to the bench because there is either a guy who is a little bit better or because he is a year behind him they SHOULD transfer if they are starter quality players. Just like they SHOULD take into account the depth chart.

How rewarding is it to win even a National Championship when the only time you get in the game is when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter?
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...


Maybe his goal is to have a decent shot at playing time so he can develop and play in the NFL. Or maybe he just wanted to be able to play for more than 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't make it to the NFL.

We all know Pryor is the starter barring disaster and that Boyd has no real chance of unseating him for the next 2, and possibly 3, years. If Pryor turns out to not be a great pro prospect by the time his junior year is over, Boyd would be looking at 1 year of starting. Meh, I can't blame kids for wanting to play when they only have a short window to do it.

When I see people criticize a guy for transferring just because he got beat out, that seems goofy to me. I applaud Pat Devlin for transferring; these guys only have a few years and if they are forced to the bench because there is either a guy who is a little bit better or because he is a year behind him they SHOULD transfer if they are starter quality players. Just like they SHOULD take into account the depth chart.

How rewarding is it to win even a National Championship when the only time you get in the game is when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter?


More rewarding than going 6-6.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:37 am

Chief24Wahoo wrote:Boyd officially commits to Clemson...dayum.


Must be getting more cash from the alums there than in Columbus. :bunny:
Can't fault a guy for wanting to play right away but Clemson? Wow.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador
 
Posts: 2915
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 am

Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...


Maybe his goal is to have a decent shot at playing time so he can develop and play in the NFL. Or maybe he just wanted to be able to play for more than 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't make it to the NFL.

We all know Pryor is the starter barring disaster and that Boyd has no real chance of unseating him for the next 2, and possibly 3, years. If Pryor turns out to not be a great pro prospect by the time his junior year is over, Boyd would be looking at 1 year of starting. Meh, I can't blame kids for wanting to play when they only have a short window to do it.

When I see people criticize a guy for transferring just because he got beat out, that seems goofy to me. I applaud Pat Devlin for transferring; these guys only have a few years and if they are forced to the bench because there is either a guy who is a little bit better or because he is a year behind him they SHOULD transfer if they are starter quality players. Just like they SHOULD take into account the depth chart.

How rewarding is it to win even a National Championship when the only time you get in the game is when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter?


More rewarding than going 6-6.


So you're the kind of guy who would prefer to be a member of someone's entourage and never know what could have been rather than trying to make something of yourself and finding out what you are capable of? I sincerely doubt that.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
User avatar
aoxo1
 
Posts: 2934
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:23 pm
Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Or he doesn't want to compete. He would redshirt if he came here and he knew that. He said he didn't have a problem with doing so, especially coming off a torn ACL. Therefore, he'd be the starting quarterback here either his redshirt sophomore or junior season and have at least 2 years of eligibility left.

Redshirting isn't the worst thing in the world...especially for a young quarterback. Look at Sam Bradford. Other big time players redshirted too, Michael Crabtree and Knowshown Moreno.

Not to mention is idol is Troy Smith. Someone who had an amazing career in Tressel's office and competed for a starting job with one of the most highly recruited high school quarterbacks in the country.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:17 pm

Austin Boucher is more surprised today than anyone. He was "told" by "sources" Boyd was going to be a Buck so he verballed to Miami, Oh and will join his brother there. Clemson swooped in from nowhere. (cash) (cash) (cash)
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby Chief24Wahoo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:50 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Austin Boucher is more surprised today than anyone. He was "told" by "sources" Boyd was going to be a Buck so he verballed to Miami, Oh and will join his brother there. Clemson swooped in from nowhere. (cash) (cash) (cash)


Yeah, and moments after Boyd committed to Clemson, OSU offered Boucher. So, it'll be interesting to see if he accepts the Ohio State offer or if he goes to Miami with his brother.
Image
User avatar
Chief24Wahoo
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: Columbus, OH
Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: Tim Tebow

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:19 pm

spider sense tingling..he stays at Miami.
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Rivals' "expert" predictions

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm

aoxo1 wrote:
Pup wrote:
aoxo1 wrote:
Chief24Wahoo wrote:Seriously. Guess he's content with playing in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl every year...


Maybe his goal is to have a decent shot at playing time so he can develop and play in the NFL. Or maybe he just wanted to be able to play for more than 1 or 2 years, if he doesn't make it to the NFL.

We all know Pryor is the starter barring disaster and that Boyd has no real chance of unseating him for the next 2, and possibly 3, years. If Pryor turns out to not be a great pro prospect by the time his junior year is over, Boyd would be looking at 1 year of starting. Meh, I can't blame kids for wanting to play when they only have a short window to do it.

When I see people criticize a guy for transferring just because he got beat out, that seems goofy to me. I applaud Pat Devlin for transferring; these guys only have a few years and if they are forced to the bench because there is either a guy who is a little bit better or because he is a year behind him they SHOULD transfer if they are starter quality players. Just like they SHOULD take into account the depth chart.

How rewarding is it to win even a National Championship when the only time you get in the game is when you're up by 30 in the 4th quarter?


More rewarding than going 6-6.


So you're the kind of guy who would prefer to be a member of someone's entourage and never know what could have been rather than trying to make something of yourself and finding out what you are capable of? I sincerely doubt that.


No. I am the type of guy that would rather go challenge myself and try to play the highest level I had the offer at and live with consequences.

I don't care how good he is. He isn't winning a title at Clemson. Especially after they did the Bill Stewart/WV thing and hired a HC based on his players liking him and beating BC, Duke, Virginia and South Carolina. Getting hammered by FSU. And losing to an average Nebraska team. Freaking WR coach to HC. Nice choice.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Next

Return to College Sports Arena

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests