Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns sign Ted Washington

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns sign Ted Washington

Unread postby Lebowski » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:22 pm

per OBR Front Page.

Terms are not known at this time.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby Lebowski » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:43 pm

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/

Browns | Team agrees to terms with T. Washington
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:08:10 -0800

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Cleveland Browns have reached a contract agreement with free agent DT Ted Washington (Raiders). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby pup » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:55 pm

And the great news continues to roll in.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Just posted a column on the front page. What a weekend.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Lebowski » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:26 pm

If Ngata is there at 12, do the Browns still think about taking him?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:37 pm

Lebowski wrote:If Ngata is there at 12, do the Browns still think about taking him?

I think a better option would be to take someone like Oshinowo in Round 3 or 4 and groom him for the not too distant future, but I don't think you eliminate Ngata from consideration.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby SOBO » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:35 pm

If Ngata is there at 12, do the Browns still think about taking him?

In a heartbeat. Ted is a great fit for this team for this year, but we'll be lucky if he sees both of those years in his contract. That said, he's still playing at a high level; but he's no longer a 60 snap a game player. More closer to the lines of 30 or 40.

Nose tackle is the most critical position in the 34 and you don't just pass up on the very top prospect at that position because you've signed a solid 38 year old bandaid. Believe me, whomever gets the no.2 slot behind Mt.Washington will see plenty of playing time this year. [/quote]
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Unread postby yogi » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:10 am

The question is do we still take Ngata at #12 if there

In a heartbeat.

Really? I mean if we hadn't addressed the NT issue with Washington and Eason, yeah, we take Ngata in a heartbeat.

But isn't Phil really setting us up to take BPA? Right now, the holes are at DE, ILB and OLB. Shouldn't we address those before another NT? Can Ngata play DE?

If DE is the position we need to address the most and both Ngata and Bunkley are on the board, whose the better pick?

Maybe someone else would drool over Ngata and allow us to trade down.[/quote]
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:44 pm

I think whether or not the Browns will consider Ngata or Bunkley at #12 is all dependant on their internal opinions of Ethan Kelley and Nick Eason.

Both looked promising in spots last year. If the Browns feel confident that one of those two can emerge to act as a counterpart to Big Ted, I can't see them going NT at #12. You would have to imagine Fisk will likely be cut, unless Phil/Romeo have little confidence in Kelley or Eason to emerge.

Sobo is right though, Washington will only play roughly 50-55% of the snaps, and won't see any time on any third downs of more than 2-3 yards. I also agree that a developmental type player in the 4th or 5th is where they may address NT.

That all said, most good 3-4 teams have two very viable NT's. The position is physically demanding, and even the best only play 2/3 of the snaps.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:57 pm

Browns need to draft BPA. Period.

Bentley was a GREAT signing.....but, if you ask me, the other 4 signings we have made need to prove themselves with me. At this point, they look exactly like some of the signings in FA every year since we returned. They look and sound great, but I am being cautiously optimistic.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:37 pm

Browns need to draft BPA

I could not disagree with that more. BPA is just bad policy. When you suck as bad as the Browns have lately and have as many holes as they have, you don't draft for depth and that is what BPA leads to unless you are very lucky. You draft to fill known holes. I sincerely hope the Browns are ready to move this pick as I cannot really see a #12 that will be a tremendous asset to the team.

I think they could drop to 20-25 and still get a viable immediate contributor to fill one of their holes. They could also move up, but I do not really think that is a great idea unless they move up for Mario Williams or DeBrick. If they did that I would be so happy, but I am not sure what they would have to give up to move up that far, they would need either 4 or 5, possibly 6 depending on Jay Cutler and AJ Hawk.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:51 pm

Sorry, but I should have made that clearer. They need to take BPA on defense. There is not ONE person on this defense that is so good that we should not look for an alternative replacement. I'm not sliding on a top notch DE because we have Roye, or a top notch nose-tackle because we have Washington now. Or a top flight CB because we have Baxter, Cutch and Bodden. This team needs playmakers on defense, so if there is a playmaker there even at a position of supposed strength....I take him.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby yogi » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:55 pm

I could not disagree with that more. BPA is just bad policy. When you suck as bad as the Browns have lately and have as many holes as they have, you don't draft for depth and that is what BPA leads to unless you are very lucky. You draft to fill known holes.

Respectfully, I could not disagree with that last statement more.

You use Free Agency to fill known holes. You use the draft to get the best player on the board OR max the value of the pick by moving up or down if BPA is a position you are rich in. The draft should yield your teams stars, FA should be used to eliminate weaknesses.

Bently was an exception to the rule, not normally the way things get done or else you'd be in cap hell very quickly.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby furls » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:35 pm

You use Free Agency to fill known holes. You use the draft to get the best player on the board OR max the value of the pick by moving up or down if BPA is a position you are rich in. The draft should yield your teams stars, FA should be used to eliminate weaknesses

WRONG. Then you rely on what is in the market to fill your gaping holes when there may not be strength there. Typically, you can fill one or two holes in FA. You cannot replace 4 parts of a front seven in FA.

The BPA mentality is what causes the team to take half measures in free agency and then wonder why we cant ever seem to get the O-Line together. The BPA is ALWAYS the guy who can fill a hole on your team. This BPA mentality is why we continuously draft cornerbacks when we need LBs or LBs when we need tackles... why? Because Mel Kiper said that because this dude ran a 4.25 forty he must be better than our guy who only runs a 4.35.

The team must take an objective look at its weaknesses and devote all assets to shoring those up. PERIOD. Any divergance from the plan is a mistake unless a guy like Reggie Bush falls to 12, but lets be realistic, THAT NEVER HAPPENS.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby yargs7 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:12 pm

Let me give you guys an outsider's opinion on this. I am not a Browns fan, so maybe I can shed some light on the subject. My team, Cincy, was long in the the position of the Browns. In the Lebeau era, they began drafting BPA. That allowed them to build a very strong nucleus and depth on the O-line. They also stole players like Chad and Rudi Johnson, TJ, Odell Thurman and Madieu Williams in the latter rounds of the draft. That is a pretty solid cast at a very low cost. Had they tied up money by playing the big name market, they wouldn't have the freedom to lock up their proven guys long term. Not saying the Browns haven' t done a great job so far this year, because as a fan of a rival team, I don't like to see Bentley and Jerevicious there. The BPA philosophy works with the right coaching staff. You also have to be patient as a fan. Rome wasnt built in a day. We all know Mike Brown's ass is as water tight as a frog's when it comes to paying players. It is frustrating as Hell to watch your team pass a guy who you may think can "fill a hole" immedately for the BPA. Give it time. Patchwork free agency doesn't work. I hate to say it, but look at the Steelers. When do they ever pick up big time free agents? Never.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby yogi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:38 am

WRONG. Then you rely on what is in the market to fill your gaping holes when there may not be strength there. Typically, you can fill one or two holes in FA. You cannot replace 4 parts of a front seven in FA.

I disagree again. For the most part you CAN rely on the market to fill a gaping hole in just about any position. Now I understand the term Gaping hole to be a phrase describing a position where on the scale of 1-10 we are at a 2 or 3. Take NT for instance. Ted Washington will raise the position from "suck" to "average/above average". THAT is using FA to fill a gaping hole. The signings of Andruzzi and Coleman last year are additional examples. Jurisvicious (sp?) is filling a WR hole. The new punter will fill yet another with above average/above average talent.

Phil is using FA to stop sucking at certain spots and hopefully the draft will yield our stars.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby furls » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Using your scale from 1-10.... is it better to turn a "2-3" into a "6-7" or turn an "5-6" into a "7-8"?

No matter what the case is, you have to be devoted to filling in those 2-3's first regardless of where they lie. Now if that happens to get you a star and the "BPA" then so be it, if it does not, well then it is better to fill that 2-3. Maybe I am exceptionally pessimistic about free agency because I am from Cleveland.

Lets face it, Cleveland is the king of bringing in the slightly past his prime above average bandaid to justify drafting the "BPA" at some sexy position. Typically we pay to much money to do so also. Some of these bandaids from the past (they transcend all cleveland sports here are a couple of quick examples) Kemp, Burba, Hernandez, and Garcia.

Honestly, I fear that Washington will be another name to add to the list. He is old and at his age is not really more than an above average NT (Granted he had a couple of Pro Bowls). So I dont necessarily see this as a great fix although it is encouraging to see the Browns looking in the right places and acknowledging the holes.

I challenge you to show me the team that perpetually goes to the free agency well and comes out well. Free Agency is a trap and it should not be the only way you rely on filling your holes. We have witnessed the horrors of the BPA and FA philosophy long enough.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL