Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Garko to the outfield..

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Garko to the outfield..

Unread postby nwizzle » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:26 pm

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090116&content_id=3746728&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Yeah it's happening. Wedge has officially lost his mind. I swear that if Garko steps one foot in the outfield grass during the regular season next I'll stop watching baseball. This is absolutely insane.
nwizzle

Re: Garko to the outfield..

Unread postby hornet84 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:30 pm

Two words. Carlton Fisk. :lmfao: Garko in the outfield would ugly to say the very least.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:35 pm

nwizzle wrote:http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090116&content_id=3746728&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Yeah it's happening. Wedge has officially lost his mind. I swear that if Garko steps one foot in the outfield grass during the regular season next I'll stop watching baseball. This is absolutely insane.

Ya know, it helps if you actually read the story and not just the headline before bashing. It says they are going to give him some reps during the Spring to see if he can do it. That's all. If he can't, it will likely end there. Hence the word "experimental."

Nothing wrong with experimenting in Spring.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:35 pm

nwizzle wrote:http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090116&content_id=3746728&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

Well first of all we all know you won't stop watching baseball under any circumstances and 2nd of all you'll watch simply out of morbid curiosity.

I think we all know that the chances of Garko ever playing in the OF during the regular season is pretty much 0.

The paragraph that disturbe me is:

To hear Wedge talk, it appears more and more likely the Indians are open to keeping Barfield, who missed nearly three months last season with a left middle finger strain that required surgery, aboard as a second reserve infielder. If Barfield's able to play the outfield, that only serves to add to his value to the club.

All I can think of is: WHY?
TitoFrancona

Favorite Player: Tito Francona
Least Favorite Player: Jim Thome

Unread postby nwizzle » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:40 pm

cozmeesah wrote:

Ya know, it helps if you actually read the story and not just the headline before bashing. It says they are going to give him some reps during the Spring to see if he can do it. That's all. If he can't, it will likely end there. Hence the word "experimental."

Nothing wrong with experimenting in Spring.

Thanks for the help, but I did read it before posting. And just the fact that they are even considering it is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if you've seen Garko move around at all but it's not pretty. You thought Trot Nixon was a disaster in the outfield? I can't wait to see Garko play some Spring Training games in left. It should get interesting.
nwizzle

Unread postby carnegie44115 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
The paragraph that disturbe me is:

To hear Wedge talk, it appears more and more likely the Indians are open to keeping Barfield, who missed nearly three months last season with a left middle finger strain that required surgery, aboard as a second reserve infielder. If Barfield's able to play the outfield, that only serves to add to his value to the club.

Well with 13 position players, that is Sizemore, Choo, BenFran, Dellucci, DeRosa, Peralta, ACab, Carroll, Garko, Hafner, Vic, Shoppach, that still leaves one spot on the bench. AAA is full in the MIF, with Valbuena and the trio of guys that were signed earlier this off-season. So he would sit on the bench primarily in AAA, so if Barfield can learn how to play LF or 3B, they could have him as an additional guy.

Now the only objection I would have to this is, if a guy like Giminez is having a good spring because he would be serviceable to us off the bench with some power and Wedge could DH Vic without fear of being without a backup C if Kelly was to go down in-game.
Tribe Fan since 1995!

And...

Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
carnegie44115

Favorite Player: Travis Hafner
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby cozmeesah » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 pm

nwizzle wrote:
cozmeesah wrote:Thanks for the help, but I did read it before posting. And just the fact that they are even considering it is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know if you've seen Garko move around at all but it's not pretty. You thought Trot Nixon was a disaster in the outfield? I can't wait to see Garko play some Spring Training games in left. It should get interesting.

I know the thought conjures up quite a few amusing mental images, but I just didn't take it that seriously. It's just a "hey, what if?" thing to me where they probably thought "well it couldn't possibly hurt to give him a few reps." And I figure, so what? :lol:
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby tribefan333 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Ok let's pretend Garko has some lost fielding ability to play outfield, and he sticks it there and hits well. Let's say Choo hits well. Let's say Vic and Shoppach hit well, and let's say Pronk hits well.

Please understand I'm not complaining, but what the hell happens with LaPorta in July or September or next year or whenever? We'd have a talented player with upside and youth (for the most part, if upside isn't there, then money is) at all of those positions...who is the first to go?

Also one more question: If you could name ONE player of whom you'd like to get more playing time in spring training at his current position to help his glove, who would it be? My bet is 99% of the time it's Ryan Garko, either as the first or second name to pop up behind Peralta.

He's an awful first basemen but he has shown some signs of improvement. But OUTFIELD? If it was third base...maybe. Hot corner, a lot of risks there too, but Garko is one of the slower players in the American League...OUTFIELD?

I think analysts, writers and fans use 100% and 0% way too much, so I'll give this a 1% chance of actually working.

OUTFIELD?
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby Toxicadam » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm

I wouldn't call Garko a horrible 1b. He has no range and slow reactions, but does a terrific job at scooping balls out of the dirt or snagging nasty one hoppers.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Kuiper » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm

This is all about the fact that, for the first time in awhile, we don't have an obvious fifth outfielder. That means we need to see who could play that position (the obvious choice is DeRosa if it came to it, since he's done it as recently as last year) and it means we have room for someone else.
Kuiper

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:44 pm

Garko is clearly not an awful 1st baseman. He's adequate.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby tribefan333 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Toxicadam wrote:I wouldn't call Garko a horrible 1b. He has no range and slow reactions, but does a terrific job at scooping balls out of the dirt or snagging nasty one hoppers.

My point was that any skills he's talented at while at first base, don't apply to LF.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:
To hear Wedge talk, it appears more and more likely the Indians are open to keeping Barfield ...

I don't believe you.

I certainly thought of more things than that. Rich has asked me not to post them, though.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby redneckofsc » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:45 pm

He cant be anyworse than David Dellucci.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby ZinAZ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm

this made me think Mike Hargrove, he played some OF back in the 70's probably the slowest guy I have ever seen play OF for the tribe. he wasn't terrible except of coarse for his range.
ZinAZ

Favorite Player: Asdrubal
Least Favorite Player: Any Pinstripe

Unread postby Brian » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:49 pm

The only thing that doesn't make this completely ridiculous is the fact that Wil Cordero and Richie Sexson once played left field for the Cleveland Indians.

At least we have an example of what Garko would look like out there: Adam Dunn.
Brian

Favorite Player: XXX
Least Favorite Player: XXX

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:11 pm

Garko trying to catch a fly ball

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=spz8_rpE0e0
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby Mcreek » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 pm

If you want to determine Garkos speed it would require a sun dial. He has to be the slowest player I have seen in my yrs as a Tribe fan. I would have to turn my head watching a fly ball hit in his direction. It would be reminicent of watch the Bad News Bear's :roll :roll:
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 pm

This has the potential to be hilariously awesome.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Brian » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:52 pm

Mcreek wrote:He has to be the slowest player I have seen in my yrs as a Tribe fan.

Unbelievably, I think Victor Martinez might be even slower than Garko.

And I think Eddie Perez had them all beat a couple of years ago.
Brian

Favorite Player: XXX
Least Favorite Player: XXX

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:32 pm

Didn't they try the same experiment with Marte last spring?

It can't hurt. I see it more to allow them to maybe use him in LF in a pinch.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby jameseboy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:55 pm

"this made me think Mike Hargrove, he played some OF back in the 70's probably the slowest guy I have ever seen play OF for the tribe. he wasn't terrible except of coarse for his range."

LOL thanks you reminded me of someone I had all but forgotten and whom probably few others here ever heard of...Gene Green...played back in 61/62 and had to be the worst outfielder to ever play in the major leagues. He was built like a barrel and I swear he had hands of stone along with snail speed, they were so desperate for offense they put him out there and it was a major disaster.
jameseboy

Unread postby Indians88 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Could this be a sign that they like LaPorta better at first than in the outfield, or maybe that he is closer to the big leagues then they care to indicate directly?
Indians88

Favorite Player: Eddie Murray
Least Favorite Player: Paul O'Neal

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:11 pm

If Jack Cust can handle the outfield, Ryan Garko can handle it. Not everyday, but every once in a while. It's all about getting a good read on the baseball. If he can do that, he'll be ok. And he can't possibly have a shittier arm than BenFran or Dellucci.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:04 am

If Ben Broussard can play outfield, then gosh darnit, so can Ryan Garko!
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby madscientist » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:21 am

I have no problem with Garko getting a look in the outfield. Find out if he can be serviceable out there - I already have my opinion on his (in)ability to do it - for some spot starts. It sounds more like Wedge wanting flexibility in his lineup than anything else. He's probably trying to figure out ways to get Garko, Shoppach, Martinez and Hafner in the lineup all at the same time and came up with getting Garko time in the outfield.

Besides, Derosa and Carroll have played out there before and would probably be used there way before Garko. Plus, the article mentioned Barfield will also get some outfield play, too. I wouldn't expect too much out of the whole thing, but it never hurts to see what a guy might be able to do.
madscientist

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: LeBron

Unread postby Eckersley » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:46 am

Who will get to more balls....Garko or Bob Feller's statue?
If the Dolans owned BP, they'd give promotions to everyone responsible for the oil spill.
Eckersley
Politically Incorrect

Favorite Player: Dennis Eckersley
Least Favorite Player: Pete Rose

Unread postby Mcreek » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 am

Hopefully all this talk about Derosa, Barfield or Garko in the Outfield means sanity will prevail and they DFA Dellucci. Teams are DFA'ng the likes of Gibbons last spring and Andrew Jones recently who were all owed much more than Dellucci yet were cut loose. There is simply no logic keeping a guy like Dellucci who would't make another ML roster much like Nixon after he was let go.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby CharacterIV » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:09 am

I'm hoping Garko only sees playing time in the OF when we've got a groundball pitcher on the hill.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:03 am

Mcreek wrote:Hopefully all this talk about Derosa, Barfield or Garko in the Outfield means sanity will prevail and they DFA Dellucci. Teams are DFA'ng the likes of Gibbons last spring and Andrew Jones recently who were all owed much more than Dellucci yet were cut loose. There is simply no logic keeping a guy like Dellucci who would't make another ML roster much like Nixon after he was let go.

They cannot release/trade my favorite player. Please don't trade him. Nope. Nada. No can do. Never. Ever. No way. Nuh uh. Don't do it Shapiro. Don't you dare.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby tribefaninsouthernoh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 am

Consigliere wrote:
Mcreek wrote:Hopefully all this talk about Derosa, Barfield or Garko in the Outfield means sanity will prevail and they DFA Dellucci. Teams are DFA'ng the likes of Gibbons last spring and Andrew Jones recently who were all owed much more than Dellucci yet were cut loose. There is simply no logic keeping a guy like Dellucci who would't make another ML roster much like Nixon after he was let go.

They cannot release/trade my favorite player. Please don't trade him. Nope. Nada. No can do. Never. Ever. No way. Nuh uh. Don't do it Shapiro. Don't you dare.

ROFL
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying...Pink Floyd
tribefaninsouthernoh

Favorite Player: Grady
Least Favorite Player: G.Sheffield/H Ward

Unread postby OSU819903 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:If Jack Cust can handle the outfield, Ryan Garko can handle it. Not everyday, but every once in a while. It's all about getting a good read on the baseball. If he can do that, he'll be ok. And he can't possibly have a shittier arm than BenFran or Dellucci.

DD I'll agree with but didn't BenFran end up in the top 10 OF assists last year. He may not have the strongest arm but to call it shitty is just not accurate.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:52 pm

OSU819903 wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:If Jack Cust can handle the outfield, Ryan Garko can handle it. Not everyday, but every once in a while. It's all about getting a good read on the baseball. If he can do that, he'll be ok. And he can't possibly have a shittier arm than BenFran or Dellucci.

DD I'll agree with but didn't BenFran end up in the top 10 OF assists last year. He may not have the strongest arm but to call it shitty is just not accurate.

Good call, he did have 12 OF assists. You caught me.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Well Mcreek brings up a good point. If they are discussing Garko and DeRosa as OF possibilities, are they thinking about DFA'ing Dellucci. My own opinion is not a chance.

However, how much worse could Garko be in LF than Dellucci? And who's bat would you rather have in the lineup? I would hope that's a no-brainer to all of you.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Jennifer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:41 pm

TitoFrancona wrote:Well Mcreek brings up a good point. If they are discussing Garko and DeRosa as OF possibilities, are they thinking about DFA'ing Dellucci. My own opinion is not a chance.

However, how much worse could Garko be in LF than Dellucci? And who's bat would you rather have in the lineup? I would hope that's a no-brainer to all of you.
Actually, McCreek's point is an excellent one. The Tribe thinks that Dellucci can still hit but if he can't the Tribe cannot afford to hold onto him. His salary is an embedded cost and if DFAed the only incremental cost will be the replacement who will be earning league minimum.

The Tribe in trying to findout who can play the outfield is trying to figureout if they can go with three outfielders with enough others being able in total fill the need for a fourth outfielder. It is a way to create an additional roster spot if Dellucci doesn't hit. It means that an outfielding prospect doesn't have to be rushed and when is called-up there will be plenty of playing time available to him.

And yes the thought of Garko in the outfield is mind boggling. And will likely fail but the worst the experiment can do is fail.
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby BruceK » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Anyone here old enough to remember Greg Luzinski playing left field for the Phillies?

He would actually stand and face the left field foul line - leaving everything behind him to the center fielder.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby carnegie44115 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Would it be bad to say, a guy that just got into the HOF could play a better OF than Garko? :sillies:
Tribe Fan since 1995!

And...

Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
carnegie44115

Unread postby NMonster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:02 pm

I really like the idea! Everyone seems willing to critique Wedge for not willing to take chances and experiment. Well now he is willing to not be his usual conservative self. The worst that will happen is that Garko gets some experience in the outfield. I like the idea of Garko and others getting experience in positions they aren't use to. If a guy is going to be as good as he can be why not let him learn other positions?

So cross-training for baseball?
NMonster

Favorite Player: Big Z!
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Mcreek » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:01 am

I think Trevor Crowe is the ideal 4th Outfielder who can play all three spots adequatly plus he gives you speed on the basepaths. I don't see the need to keep him in AAA at his age (25) will turn 26 later this year. I feel alot better having Crowe competing with Francisco then Dellucci who has nuthing left offensively or defensivly.
Mcreek

Unread postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:08 am

One of the strange comments was Eric Wedge suggesting at a town hall meeting that Garko may work in the outfield to see if he can play there part time, yet the manager admitted Garko may be the slowest player on the team. Garko was hitting .241 at the end of July with 50 RBI in 326 at-bats. After Aug. 1, he was a .331 hitter with 40 RBI and six HR in 169 at-bats. The Indians don't want to watch him stagger through another slow start. Wedge has been one of Garko's biggest boosters in the organization, and the manager is hoping Garko doesn't fall into those early 2008 habits of trying to pull the ball with a huge uppercut that led to a massive slump.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... rs_re.html
Jennifer

Unread postby NMonster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:23 pm

With Victor competing for time in 1B you are going to have to allow Garko in somehow.
NMonster

Favorite Player: Big Z!
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby drewd » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:07 pm

"I don't care where people play," Wedge said, "as long as they're able to make the play. I just want to put the best (162)lineup(s) out there."

We Officially Need A REAL Manager Now !!! I'm Officially Sick of Him
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:13 pm

Why am I having flashbacks to Glenallen Hill?

"He's a catch-22 outfielder. You hit him a hundred fly balls, and he'll catch 22."
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby carnegie44115 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Mcreek wrote:I think Trevor Crowe is the ideal 4th Outfielder who can play all three spots adequatly plus he gives you speed on the basepaths. I don't see the need to keep him in AAA at his age (25) will turn 26 later this year. I feel alot better having Crowe competing with Francisco then Dellucci who has nuthing left offensively or defensivly.

I have to agree with Mcreek here, if they were able to bring Crowe up with them out of ST and pair him with BenFran, they could work in Crowe and give Choo a day off against a tough LH pitcher, if Choo goes backwards in his progress hitting LH pitchers.
Tribe Fan since 1995!

And...

carnegie44115

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Any way we can get Delucci to agree to play LF in Columbus this season??
Maybe be a clubhouse leader and teach the AAA players how to grind it out for when they play for Wedge....
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 pm

i think we need to put Garko on the block and see what we can get for him. he never really impresses me, its LaPorta's time now
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:03 pm

drewd wrote:
"I don't care where people play," Wedge said, "as long as they're able to make the play. I just want to put the best (162)lineup(s) out there."

Sigh! I'm more than willing to see Wedge dumped -- Right after the Cavs dump Jerkface James.
Jennifer

Unread postby OSU819903 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 pm

drewd wrote:

I don't even know what this means. Whats the manager supposed to say, "if I don't have this guy at 1B all year round then forget it I hope we loose all year..." I mean really what would YOU rather hear him say....unbelievable
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby TitoFrancona » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:22 pm

jordan kramer wrote:i think we need to put Garko on the block and see what we can get for him. he never really impresses me, its LaPorta's time now

No it's not. Not quite yet. When LaPorta came to the Indians he struggled big time. This year in Winter ball, he was released by the team he was playing for - batting under .150. He clearly is not there yet and needs at least a month or 2 in Columbus. Maybe more.
TitoFrancona

Unread postby Mcreek » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Yup Tito, what started out as an aberration is starting to look like a trend with Laporta. He has had more then enough time to recover from personal issues and the shock of being traded. He has simply been awful since coming to this organization. Hopefully he doesn't turn into another Marte or Barfield. :wha?:
Mcreek

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB