Text Size

College Sports Arena

Hartline Makes Himself NFL Draft Eligible

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Hartline Makes Himself NFL Draft Eligible

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Per Bucknuts:

It has been rumored for months that Brian Hartline would leave early for the NFL and he made it official on Wednesday. The Ohio State junior wide receiver will give up his final year of collegiate eligibility and will try his hand at the professional ranks. ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper told Bucknuts that Hartline is projected as a fourth-or fifth-round pick.

Thank God.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Hartline Makes Himself NFL Draft Eligible

Unread postby RCB1948 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Why does one come out early to be a 4th or 5th round pick? Seems like another year is more likely to help than hurt his draft status.

Kind of like the guy. He could have been a big contributor in 2009.

He is probably making a mistake.
RCB1948

Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:00 pm

RCB1948 wrote:Why does one come out early to be a 4th or 5th round pick? Seems like another year is more likely to help than hurt his draft status.

Who knows maybe JT gave him a straight up hing that he would rarely see the field in 2009?

I wish the kid all the best, this is best for him and the university.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 pm

I hope this means we see alot more of Posey in 09. The kid is going to be a star.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:46 pm

Best news I heard all day. With him off the team, I can return to hoping passes thrown to WR's might actually be caught.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby aoxo1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 pm

RCB1948 wrote:Why does one come out early to be a 4th or 5th round pick? Seems like another year is more likely to help than hurt his draft status.

Another year is probably doing nothing to help/hurt him. It's not like he is a big, fast, super talented guy who just needs to prove he can put up the numbers everyone thinks he can. He is who he is already.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

jack_tors wrote:Best news I heard all day. With him off the team, I can return to hoping passes thrown to WR's might actually be caught.

Unless they change the rules so you can catch passes on the first bounce, wide reciever should be the least of your worries in the buckeyes passing game.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Squints » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I hope this means we see alot more of Posey in 09. The kid is going to be a star.

+1. We have our possession receiver next year in Dane S. Let's get these potential home-run hitters on the field to practice and develop with Terrelle.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:57 pm

I'd draft him.

I'm a Fed. League/Big Ten Homer, I'll be upfront and admit my bias..Dude grew up near my hometown, and auctually went to my same "mega-church", and my high school team played against him and his brother, seemed like a really nice guy when I saw him at the Christmas Eve, didn't want to bug him because he was hanging with his family.

But he seems like a Brian Brennan who has a slight case of the dropsies, but our WR "coach" Joe Jurevicious could help him out a bit.

We need depth in the recieving corp, BAD, After Braylon, Kellen, and Cribbs, who does Brady have to throw to? Hartline certainly isn't a starter, but that's not why you draft a guy like him, you draft him to rotate in for several plays.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:29 am

Triple-S wrote:But he seems like a Brian Brennan who has a slight case of the dropsies, but our WR "coach" Joe Jurevicious could help him out a bit.

We need depth in the recieving corp, BAD, After Braylon, Kellen, and Cribbs, who does Brady have to throw to? Hartline certainly isn't a starter, but that's not why you draft a guy like him, you draft him to rotate in for several plays.

Right, because the reason he drops passes is because he hasn't had anyone "coach" him on catching the ball all these years.

I don't know what his hands are like, but these guys who drop balls in college go on to become guys who drop balls in the NFL.

A Brian Brennan with a slight case of the dropsies isn't a Brian Brennan. He is a small, slow dude who can't catch.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:38 am

aoxo1 wrote:
Triple-S wrote:But he seems like a Brian Brennan who has a slight case of the dropsies, but our WR "coach" Joe Jurevicious could help him out a bit.

Right, because the reason he drops passes is because he hasn't had anyone "coach" him on catching the ball all these years.

I don't know what his hands are like, but these guys who drop balls in college go on to become guys who drop balls in the NFL.

A Brian Brennan with a slight case of the dropsies isn't a Brian Brennan. He is a small, slow dude who can't catch.

I watched Brian Brennan get open and get behind NFL DBs. Hartline hasn't shown me the consistent ability to do that in college. Throw in the drops and you've got a UDFA player on Sunday night after the draft has ended.

No offense to the kid. He's getting his degree in June and I wish him the best. But I'm not expecting to watch him on any given Sunday in the future.

Size, speed and hands are what it comes down to. 2 outta 3 are fine if those two are world class. 1 or none outta 3 puts your degree to good use.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:55 am

this is a sad day... Hartline was always one of my favorites... he shoulda stayed, this kinda hurts Pryor's development not having a veteran wide out like Hartline next year. good luck in the pros though...
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Mcreek » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:48 am

Great news not only of Hartline leaving but Robiske as well now we are left with one possesion reciever in Sanzbacher who hopefully moves down the deph chart.

I would put Taurian Washington and Posey out wide with Flash Thomas to get speed on the edges and post Stoneburner in the slot to create mismatches. Duron Carter could be the big suprise here with advanced route running skills wich is no shock considering who his dad is. Two other speedsters in Fields and Jackson might make an impact as well.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby boilerdaveb » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 am

Been reported around here that most of his fellow incoming classmates are seniors this year and leaving, and it would have been more difficult being one of the few remaining from his class as he has a redshirt history. He has graduated early, and honestly, probably won't have much better numbers with the "quality" passing game that OSU has coming back. Who am I to blame him for moving on, he is getting married or recently married, and his stock won't likely improve alot next year.

He did quite well for himself when he had a QB who could actually throw the ball occasionally in 2007, and to me, he has done all that OSU asked of him. To say that OSU won't miss him at least in some capacity is just ignorance, but such is message board drivel. I don't place the majority of the blame for this years offensive woes on Hartline, that is for sure. As a fan, I wish him the best of luck.
boilerdaveb

Favorite Player: Melvin Levett
Least Favorite Player: The Big Ticket

Unread postby osucrazy18 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 am

hellllllooooo deep balls, posey thomas and the great dane will be much better than the slow vets
"On an off shooting night all you have is your fundamentals and your momma, cause she believes in you Mo!!!!" - - - Uncle Austin after Clippers 3/11/09 believe baby believe
osucrazy18

Favorite Player: Confidence
Least Favorite Player: KG's mouth

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:34 am

Allegedly overheard by tSV upon Hartline telling him....

"Jacks, jacks, no take backs! And can you go talk to Smalls?"
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Mcreek » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:31 pm

osucrazy18 wrote:hellllllooooo deep balls, posey thomas and the great dane will be much better than the slow vets

Deep balls to the great Dane? :lmfao: The guy is slower than Hartline.
" No big stars on the team is by design. "We can't afford to have the inefficiencies, even for a great talent. We need to function as efficiently as possible in our clubhouse, and that means guys have to know what it means to be a good teammate. We don't want to waste the energy on dealing with all those distractions. Besides, we value character over talent here in Cleveland---Mark Shapiro
Mcreek

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:55 pm

The only time NFL scouts will even mention Hartline's name is when they're watching film of Beanie and he comes into the picture
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby onlyindreams » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:09 pm

He should actually do pretty well at the combine and could raise his stock. He's fast but not quick, which is why he tends to be able to get open on the deep routes but can't get much separation underneath. Pryor missed him a bunch on deep routes this year.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:05 pm

with Sanzenbacher getting a lot more balls next year we get to actually watch him lose all his brain cells as he racks up concussion after concussion :pop:
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Nothing personal against Hartline or Robo. We Buckeyes fans are spoiled by having elite WRs and while Hartline and Robo are adequate, no one will ever accuse them of being guys who should be mentioned with Ginn, Gonzo, Holmes, Gamble, Jenkins, Glenn, Galloway, Boston etc.

The Buckeyes are probably marginally better off in the near future, but will be much better off for it at the end of the year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Ziner wrote:
jack_tors wrote:Best news I heard all day. With him off the team, I can return to hoping passes thrown to WR's might actually be caught.

Unless they change the rules so you can catch passes on the first bounce, wide reciever should be the least of your worries in the buckeyes passing game.

Wait, you mean the ball cant bounce first? I thought that was kinda like a mulligan type thing? Damn... :thud:

Seriously though, I am hoping (well praying... daily... to gods of multiple religions) Pryor's arm improves in the off seasons and camps. Was Hartline great? No. Was he terrible? No. Was I a fan? No. Him and Robo just seemed to underachieve in my book and I am more than okay with them leaving.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:15 am

Furls wrote:Nothing personal against Hartline or Robo. We Buckeyes fans are spoiled by having elite WRs and while Hartline and Robo are adequate, no one will ever accuse them of being guys who should be mentioned with Ginn, Gonzo, Holmes, Gamble, Jenkins, Glenn, Galloway, Boston etc.

You forgot ken-yon rambo. ;-) ;) :wink:

IOW - Other than the two Cleveland homeslice kids, you mean the receivers that Cooper used to bring in... Whether the new kids coming up can bring us back up to that national talent level instead of the so-so Ohio kids like Hartline & 'biske who couldn't do the job againt good teams will be a huge sign as to whether the program can come back to national relevance.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:08 pm

a huge sign as to whether the program can come back to national relevance.

JB you know better. You and I both know that hyperbole like that just undermines your point. The program is clearly nationally relevant.

Ginn, Gonzo, Holmes, Roy Hall, Posey, and Ray Small are all Tressel recruits. Freddie Lenix and Albert Dukes were also (and they were guys that were supposed to be studs). Some guys work out and some don't. I don't blame Tressel for bringing in Hartline and Robo, they are great 2&3 WRs. Ray Small's continued underachieving hurt, bad. He was supposed to be the #1 guy. Had he kept his shit together and produced on the field the last two years, all of a sudden Robo and Hartline look really good going against a nickel and a #2 CB. Recruiting is hit or miss and there are very few sure things, especially at WR. You never know if the speedy kid who has been getting by with "out-athleting" everyone is going to actually be able to learn the technique to succeed once the talent differential drops. FWIW, that is what was so exciting about Posey, he had exceptional technique coming out of HS and speed. Guys like him and Julio Jones are rare.

The 2004 top 3 WRs were: Early Doucet, Cameron Colvin, and Fred Davis.
The 2005 top 3 WRs were: Derrick Williams, Patrick Turner, and Fred Rouse.

Even with can't miss guys you can still miss.

Tressel's 08 and 09 classes are built around speed on the outside (with the exception of Duron Carter). Chris Fields, James Jackson, Corey Brown, Posey, and Lamaar Thomas all bring a lot of the same skills to the table, so I think it is pretty obvious that JT learned that he needs some speed out there. I guess the new philosophy is if you throw enough scholarships at it, something is bound to stick (similar philosophy with OL, 8-9 scholarships in the last 2 years).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby davemanddd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:41 pm

yeah, like brian robiskie made the right choice coming back for another season. i don't think so. even as a 4th or 5th round pick, hartline will still make more money next year than he would if he stayed in college. well, you would think so, but you never know how much these guys get paid under the table by boosters and what-not. hee-hee!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby tribefan333 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Hartline and Wells are both leaving early? Could OSU players in 2009 make any more ill advised choices?

Up this point just about every OSU junior to leave early the last couple of years looked like a good idea...but these two? No.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Could OSU players in 2009 make any more ill advised choices?

Is Ray Small coming back? He is capable of a multitude of ill advised choices.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby gnati » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 pm

JB wrote:
Furls wrote:Nothing personal against Hartline or Robo. We Buckeyes fans are spoiled by having elite WRs and while Hartline and Robo are adequate, no one will ever accuse them of being guys who should be mentioned with Ginn, Gonzo, Holmes, Gamble, Jenkins, Glenn, Galloway, Boston etc.

You forgot ken-yon rambo. ;-) ;) :wink:

IOW - Other than the two Cleveland homeslice kids, you mean the receivers that Cooper used to bring in... Whether the new kids coming up can bring us back up to that national talent level instead of the so-so Ohio kids like Hartline & 'biske who couldn't do the job againt good teams will be a huge sign as to whether the program can come back to national relevance.

Not to put too fine a point on it (in my best TMBG's voice...)

But that list you site of receivers that your boy Coop used to bring in...half of them were brought in by TSV.

Carry on.
gnati

Favorite Player: .
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to College Sports Arena