Text Size

College Sports Arena

Beanie's Legacy

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Beanie's Legacy

Unread postby Squints » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:04 am

His words, not mine. Whose career was his most like? Where do you rank him among the non-Heisman winning RBs (Archie, Eddie, Hop, and Vic should be in their own class) given career numbers, importance to their team, playmaking ability, personal memories, etc.

I'll go with Keith Byers, both were the best weapon on their respective teams; Heisman candidates- Flutie ripped the Heisman from his hands; and yes, injuries were also part of each ones career and the team as a whole greatly suffered when they were out. Other thoughts?
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Re: Beanie's Legacy

Unread postby Toxicadam » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:02 am

Chuck Webb at Tennessee.
Toxicadam

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Not to be a dick, but this is the Fiesta Bowl thread ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11092 ) . There are tons of opinions in there on Beanie's legacy and the thread itself is perfect to sum that up.

Why?

Because he was outstanding for awhile and then he quit playing. For whatever reason. It's always something when your either your body or mind is soft. I don't think it's the body.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby RCB1948 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Squints wrote:His words, not mine. Whose career was his most like? Where do you rank him among the non-Heisman winning RBs (Archie, Eddie, Hop, and Vic should be in their own class) given career numbers, importance to their team, playmaking ability, personal memories, etc.

I'll go with Keith Byers, both were the best weapon on their respective teams; Heisman candidates- Flutie ripped the Heisman from his hands; and yes, injuries were also part of each ones career and the team as a whole greatly suffered when they were out. Other thoughts?
Not particularly close to the Heisman group. Names like Tim Spencer, Antonio Pittman, Pepe Pearson, Pete Johnson come to mind. I don't see Beanie as an all-time great among OSU running backs. He only had one outstanding year. Lots of guys have done that. Very bottom of the top 10 maybe. I would definitely rate Griffin, George, Cassidy, Janowicz, Otis, Furgeson and Byars ahead of Wells. He's from a different era but Les Horvath must be in that group ahead of him too. Wells would be one of several others who I would consider for #9-#10 on the all-time list.
Last edited by RCB1948 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCB1948

Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:27 pm

RCB1948 wrote:
Squints wrote:His words, not mine. Whose career was his most like? Where do you rank him among the non-Heisman winning RBs (Archie, Eddie, Hop, and Vic should be in their own class) given career numbers, importance to their team, playmaking ability, personal memories, etc.

Not particularly close to the Heisman group. Names like Tim Spencer, Antonio Pittman, Pepe Pearson, Pete Johnson come to mind. I don't see Beanie as an all-time great among OSU running backs. He only had one outstanding year. Lots of guys have done that. Very bottom of the top 10 maybe. I would definitely rate Griffin, George, Cassidy, Janowicz, Otis, Furgeson and Byers ahead of Wells. He would be one of several others who I would consider for #8-#10 on the all-time list.

IMO the phrase that best describe Beanie's days at OSU is "Disappointingly incomplete".

If he stayed and was healthy and put up Wells type numbers for one more year (1500-1700 yards) then I would say he is among the best below Archie(I'd say right below Eddie George) but it isn't going to happen.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Squints » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Not to be a dick, but this is the Fiesta Bowl thread ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11092 ) . There are tons of opinions in there on Beanie's legacy and the thread itself is perfect to sum that up.

Why?

Because he was outstanding for awhile and then he quit playing. For whatever reason. It's always something when your either your body or mind is soft. I don't think it's the body.

Sorry Peek, after reading so many, I went numb and cross-eyed. :-( :sad: :(
Squints

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Squints wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Not to be a dick, but this is the Fiesta Bowl thread ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11092 ) . There are tons of opinions in there on Beanie's legacy and the thread itself is perfect to sum that up.

Why?

Sorry Peek, after reading so many, I went numb and cross-eyed. :-( :sad: :(

Just figured if you were wondering where the responses to your thread were there's quite a few in there.

:cheers:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Squints » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:54 pm

FUDU wrote:
RCB1948 wrote:

Not particularly close to the Heisman group. Names like Tim Spencer, Antonio Pittman, Pepe Pearson, Pete Johnson come to mind. I don't see Beanie as an all-time great among OSU running backs. He only had one outstanding year. Lots of guys have done that. Very bottom of the top 10 maybe. I would definitely rate Griffin, George, Cassidy, Janowicz, Otis, Furgeson and Byers ahead of Wells. He would be one of several others who I would consider for #8-#10 on the all-time list.

IMO the phrase that best describe Beanie's days at OSU is "Disappointingly incomplete".

If he stayed and was healthy and put up Wells type numbers for one more year (1500-1700 yards) then I would say he is among the best below Archie(I'd say right below Eddie George) but it isn't going to happen.

"Disappointingly incomplete." Damn thats good. I would say another one that fits that phrase, for different reasons is Robert Smith. He could have been the best out of all of them, but no one has mentioned him in this thread, Fiesta Bowl thread Peek?, or if someone asked you to list the top 10 backs, Heisman or not, or even top 15, would he make it?
Squints

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Why?

& you think you and i always spar.

+ 1

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Scarecrow pic is more fitting Tin Man needed a heart not a brain.

Just sayin.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:47 pm

let me start with this: Beanie is probably 100 times tougher than me at 6-1 235, compared to my athletic 5-9 150 frame (yes, i was a beast on my YSU intramural flag football team). but Beanie is a pussy. i watched maybe every snap he took at OSU and in every game he would get hurt and limp off to the sidelines. he had ridiculous potential that was never really met. Archie, Eddie, Vic, and Hopalong were 1000 times tougher than Beanie that's why they are OSU legends with Heisman trophy to their name. Beanie was good, but he could've been great
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby buckeye319 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:38 am

Why?

I think Beanie is way too injury prone, but didn't he have to leave the game because of a concussion?
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Return to College Sports Arena