Text Size

College Sports Arena

Did Beanie help or hurt his draft stock?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Did Beanie help or hurt his draft stock?

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 am

Beanie looked like a beast the first half of the Fiesta Bowl. He has that power/speed combo you just gotta love....almost like Jamal Lewis when he came out of college.

But, as usual, the guy has a hard time staying on the field. I can't remember the last game the guy was in for a whole drive and didn't have to come out for a breather. Also, he gets knicked up rather easily.

So, did he help his stock tonight with his good showing when he was in there.....or did the national audience get to see the red flags with this guy and how he might be hard to keep healthy at the next level?

I know one thing, tonight solidified my belief that I want absolutely NO part of him with the #5 pick in the draft (if he comes out).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Did Beanie help or hurt his draft stock?

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:30 am

He is not a top 15 pick. He makes AP's college career look healthy. Good back when healthy, but every year studs get drafted in the later rounds. This year alone you have Forte, Slaton, and Chris Johnson. Why waste a top 15 for an injury proned RB?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:34 am

He is easily a top 15 pick based on talent (maybe a top 4-5 based on talent), but his health is a concern, especially for a guy his size now (a guy who will only get bigger in the pros). I hope his ass drops if it means the Browns have any outside shot at him later on in the draft (never happen though).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby buckeye319 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:38 am

I'm a huge Wells fan, been watching him play football since he was a kid. But, I can honestly say I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. He's a wonderful talent, but as you all have said, he simply can't stay on the field. It's just not worth taking a RB who is oft-injured that high. That being said, I doubt he'll be available past pick 15-20.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby CP » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 am

Consigliere wrote:Beanie looked like a beast the first half of the Fiesta Bowl. He has that power/speed combo you just gotta love....almost like Jamal Lewis when he came out of college.

But, as usual, the guy has a hard time staying on the field. I can't remember the last game the guy was in for a whole drive and didn't have to come out for a breather. Also, he gets knicked up rather easily.

So, did he help his stock tonight with his good showing when he was in there.....or did the national audience get to see the red flags with this guy and how he might be hard to keep healthy at the next level?

I know one thing, tonight solidified my belief that I want absolutely NO part of him with the #5 pick in the draft (if he comes out).

Obviously my uniformed opinion, but I think he's going to end up a top 10 pick. NFL doctors will probably give him a clean bill of health (no knee injuries), he's got a lot of highlight reel material, and his measurables will make any NFL scout drool. I fully expect him to post a 40 time below where the national people think he will post one.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 am

Consigliere wrote:Beanie looked like a beast the first half of the Fiesta Bowl. He has that power/speed combo you just gotta love....almost like Jamal Lewis when he came out of college.

IMHO, I think it was really weak of him not to come back in the game when his team needed him. I think it hurt his stock significantly.
T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:09 am

T_N_T wrote:

IMHO, I think it was really weak of him not to come back in the game when his team needed him. I think it hurt his stock significantly.

yeah, who cares about his health and the concussion he had. Just throw him back in there. At least now it appears as if he will be coming back for his senior year. Announcement to be made later today to make it official
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 am

Last night was the microcasm of Wells' career.

Unstoppable and then some BS minor injury sidelines him. It is never a season ender and usually something onw would think a RB could play through.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. He's unreliable and won't be there when you need him most. Plus, I've heard from far too many unconnected sources that football is simply a means to an end for him.

I'm not sure Wells' cost the Bucks the game last night. Marty the Sweater Vest did fine all by himself. But he sure didn't help.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am

lubber wrote:
T_N_T wrote:

yeah, who cares about his health and the concussion he had. Just throw him back in there.

There's a dif between a pattern and a one time ocurrence. No one holds a one-time against anyone. Sam Huff once knocked JB out of a game with a concussion.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:25 am

JB wrote:I'm not sure Wells' cost the Bucks the game last night. Marty the Sweater Vest did fine all by himself. But he sure didn't help.

What do you mean not sure, Wells by no means cost us the game by not playing. We scored 17 4Q points and IIRC 10 of them since he last saw the field. How many points did you think we would have scored if Beanie played all the way through? Where in those drives could he have impacted the team anymore than TP did (b/c TP truly took over most of those drives anyway)? Remember there is only one football on the field at all times. Would we have used more clock in taking the lead with Wells (leaving Texas less time), well maybe. But with the lack of success through the air we may have been more predictable to defend at the same time? That is some tough nitpicking there my friend.

Of course this is all hindsight but the chances the Buckeyes missed were way before Wells left the game with a head injury.

FUDU

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:40 am

Good news if Wells comes back.

IMO, he needs to. I think a lot of people saw the red flags last night and while he will surely be a 1st rounder, I am not sure he is in the big money in the Top 10 anymore. He needs to come back and have a very good senior season and prove he can be a workhorse and stay on the field....and if he does, he may be the #1 pick in 2010.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby CP » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Consigliere wrote:Good news if Wells comes back.

IMO, he needs to. I think a lot of people saw the red flags last night and while he will surely be a 1st rounder, I am not sure he is in the big money in the Top 10 anymore. He needs to come back and have a very good senior season and prove he can be a workhorse and stay on the field....and if he does, he may be the #1 pick in 2010.

Wells, though, is going to benefit from Adrian Peterson's first two years if he puts up the type of measurables that makes scouts drool. Peterson had some of the same issues and while Wells isn't as dominant, the NFL loves OSU talent.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:40 pm

CP wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Good news if Wells comes back.

Wells, though, is going to benefit from Adrian Peterson's first two years if he puts up the type of measurables that makes scouts drool. Peterson had some of the same issues and while Wells isn't as dominant, the NFL loves OSU talent.

CP - A Pete had torn knee ligaments and sperated shoulders.

Wells had a sprined lil piggy and was so badly concussed he was cheering actively last night.

Apples and oranges.
jb

Unread postby Squints » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:31 pm

IMHO he hurt his draft stock. I love Beanie, but why do visions of Lee Suggs keep popping into my head when he goes off the field? An effective back when healthy, but not healthy all that often. Please proove me wrong Beanie.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:35 pm

The guy ran for 1,100 yards in 9 games. People who pass on him will regret it just like AP. He played hurt all year. Some people don't know a great thing when they see it. Any of these people who think he is soft, go ask the the people he runs over and by if they think that.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32 am

Squints wrote:IMHO he hurt his draft stock. I love Beanie, but why do visions of Lee Suggs keep popping into my head when he goes off the field? An effective back when healthy, but not healthy all that often. Please proove me wrong Beanie.

Lee Suggs? Really? Newsflash: Suggs sucked when he was healthy. Two good games do not a good back make.

Anyways, isn't there probably going to be a rookie pay scale in the next CBA? Even if they don't get a new CBA in place, the guys will be locked into one team for longer IIRC (like 6 years to become a FA). Makes sense to me that anyone who would be a first round pick should come out this year, even if they could possibly move up 10 spots.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 am

Lee Suggs, that is a strange comparison?

Look Beanie missed what 3 games this season (1 of which may have been JT being extra cautious) but at the same time let's remember Beanie played every game last season at less than 100%.

He isn't notorious with conditioning but he doesn't duck on opportunities to play either.

FUDU

Unread postby Squints » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:12 pm

FUDU wrote:Lee Suggs, that is a strange comparison?

Look Beanie missed what 3 games this season (1 of which may have been JT being extra cautious) but at the same time let's remember Beanie played every game last season at less than 100%.

He isn't notorious with conditioning but he doesn't duck on opportunities to play either.

I certainly think Beanie is much more talented than Suggs and I wasn't comparing their talent levels. To clearify, I believe his tendency for getting injured is similar to Suggs' career with the Browns. While Beanie is the greater talent, both did not realize their full potential (Heisman, "legacy"/ featured #1 back) at their respected levels due to injuries. That's all. Suggs was the first name that popped into my head because he had potential. If you all want, plug in the name of another RB that did not meet full expectations due to injuries and compare. But back to the thread topic, yes I belive he did hurt his stock, the concussion on the national stage reiterated his tendency to get injured, but I wish Beanie all the best and an injury-free career, if that's possible for an RB.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Return to College Sports Arena