Text Size

The Gamblers Den

NFL Wildcard Weekend

This is the place to discuss sports handicapping, poker, and other forms of gambling.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, leadpipe

NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 am

I've been looking at all four of these games, all week, since Sunday night.

I am just back and forth on all of them.

Only game I know I am playing for sure is San Diego. This Indy team has been playing well the last couple months, but is not the same caliber of Indy teams of past. No running game, patch work banged up OL. Chargers are rollin. Lost some close games early to tough teams. Defense has been much better since changing Def coordinators a month ago. Both lines, Tomlinson ... playing at high level right now. Rivers has emerged, IMO, into one of the best QBs in football. SD at home, with Indy's #.

Bal/Mia ... was leaning Bal early in the week, but I am very leery of laying more than a FG (3.5) on the road with a rookie QB to a team that makes no mistakes, is incredibly well coached, and plays with a chip. Leaning Mia right now. This just reeks of being a 13-10 game.

Phil/Min .... is there one person on this planet that likes the Vikings in this game? That alone has me considering the Vikings. Could see Peterson breaking one early, Vikings run D bottling up Westbrook and making Philly's offense one dimensional. Vikings have the best home crowd in football too. Or one of the best. Totally up in the air still on this one.

Atl/Ariz ... again, leery to take a rookie QB on the road against Kurt Warner at home. Zona has the better D also. Also, feel the Wisenhunt era/turnaround all kind of culminates Sat afternoon in this home playoff game. Zona has been crappy, played sloppy since they wrapped up a weak NFC West. I am expecting the Cards to play well Sat. May not be enough. They can't run the ball. And Atlanta runs the ball very well. Still leaning Zona in this one.

Public money coming in heavy on all four road teams this week. Right now I'm leaning towards all four home teams, but am still legitimately undecided on three of the contests.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:36 am

All home teams are underdogs, I have a feeling that this is the first time that has ever happened.
Early picks for me that I'm sticking with:
SD
Ari
Philly
Balt
Guest
 

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:23 am

Run away from the Chargers...fast. Anyone considering taking a Norv Turner coached team who is 31st against the pass, versus Peyton Manning needs to step away from the books.

For emphasis: 31st against the pass. Norv Turner is the HC. Peyton Manning.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:27 am

I don't play the games and would never wager against Manning.
I think that will be the game of the weekend.
Guest
 

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:49 am

Pup wrote:Run away from the Chargers...fast. Anyone considering taking a Norv Turner coached team who is 31st against the pass, versus Peyton Manning needs to step away from the books.

For emphasis: 31st against the pass. Norv Turner is the HC. Peyton Manning.

Bottom line, every time in the playoffs that teams have been able to get to Manning with their pass rush, the Colts have lost. San Diego is able to pressure him, they win. I think they will be able to. Defense has been much better down the stretch, creating pressure and forcing turnovers.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Action Boy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:09 pm

All your points are well taken, but Norv Turner is a clown and I am being nice. Horrible coach and horrible game management strategy. He is kind of like Tony Romo, what big game has he ever won? The Colts running game has disappeared, but Peyton still lines up over center and he is the difference against a porous Chargers secondary. This game is like the old Cowboys and 49er hey days, when you took them every week no matter what, because you knew what you were getting week in and week out. The same with Peyton, he won't lose to Norv Turner. Just me early thoughts of the game.

Turner is the Dave Wannstedt of college football. How does that guy have a job this morning? Good lord, he sets offensive football back 50 years.

Swerb wrote:
Pup wrote:Run away from the Chargers...fast. Anyone considering taking a Norv Turner coached team who is 31st against the pass, versus Peyton Manning needs to step away from the books.

For emphasis: 31st against the pass. Norv Turner is the HC. Peyton Manning.

Bottom line, every time in the playoffs that teams have been able to get to Manning with their pass rush, the Colts have lost. San Diego is able to pressure him, they win. I think they will be able to. Defense has been much better down the stretch, creating pressure and forcing turnovers.
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Action Boy wrote:All your points are well taken, but Norv Turner is a clown and I am being nice. Horrible coach and horrible game management strategy. He is kind of like Tony Romo, what big game has he ever won? The Colts running game has disappeared, but Peyton still lines up over center and he is the difference against a porous Chargers secondary. This game is like the old Cowboys and 49er hey days, when you took them every week no matter what, because you knew what you were getting week in and week out. The same with Peyton, he won't lose to Norv Turner. Just me early thoughts of the game.

Agree that Norv is a chump. But he beat Indy, in Indy, last year in the playoffs. Without Tomlinson. And without Rivers in the second half. Six weeks ago, Colts won 23-20 in SD, but on a 51 yd FG by Vinatieri at the buzzer. Indy's OL was healthier, and SD still wasn't putting any pressure on the passer, which they have done since they whacked Cottrel as DC a month ago.

So to me, to say Norv can't beat Indy ... tough to say that.

Chargers match up well with Indy. This is why they've won 4 of the last 5 against em, and could have easily made it 5 straight in week 11. Hard to say Manning struggles agasinst anyone, but he has clearly been a lesser QB against 3-4's in his career.

Norv is a chump though. Regardless, this should be a great game. Glad it got the Sat night slot.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Action Boy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:25 pm

Yes, San Diego has had there number of late and they have a very good chance of winning Saturday night, but I just can't see it...Norv will blow this game. Any chance he and Wanstedt are related?

Swerb wrote:
Action Boy wrote:All your points are well taken, but Norv Turner is a clown and I am being nice. Horrible coach and horrible game management strategy. He is kind of like Tony Romo, what big game has he ever won? The Colts running game has disappeared, but Peyton still lines up over center and he is the difference against a porous Chargers secondary. This game is like the old Cowboys and 49er hey days, when you took them every week no matter what, because you knew what you were getting week in and week out. The same with Peyton, he won't lose to Norv Turner. Just me early thoughts of the game.

Agree that Norv is a chump. But he beat Indy, in Indy, last year in the playoffs. Without Tomlinson. And without Rivers in the second half. Six weeks ago, Colts won 23-20 in SD, but on a 51 yd FG by Vinatieri at the buzzer. Indy's OL was healthier, and SD still wasn't putting any pressure on the passer, which they have done since they whacked Cottrel as DC a month ago.

So to me, to say Norv can't beat Indy ... tough to say that.

Chargers match up well with Indy. This is why they've won 4 of the last 5 against em, and could have easily made it 5 straight in week 11. Hard to say Manning struggles agasinst anyone, but he has clearly been a lesser QB against 3-4's in his career.

Norv is a chump though. Regardless, this should be a great game. Glad it got the Sat night slot.
User avatar
Action Boy
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Norv Turner is horrible enough to be the single reason not to wager the game.

Swerb, The Lead Man agrees with many of your points, and the game on sheer data leans towards the SuperChargers ILO, however, you have a huge chance to feeling like a douche at games end because you backed Norv Turner with your hard earned cash.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6558
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Norv Turner is horrible enough to be the single reason not to wager the game.

Swerb, The Lead Man agrees with many of your points, and the game on sheer data leans towards the SuperChargers ILO, however, you have a huge chance to feeling like a douche at games end because you backed Norv Turner with your hard earned cash.

Without a doubt.

Thats why they call it gambling. In Norv I Trust.

In Norv I Trust?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 pm

Going Zona tomorrow too.

Just feel they will play well. Like the spot for them. Think the D will make a big play or two at home tomorrow against Ryan, and that will be the difference.

Zona and SD for me tomorrow.

Leaning Bal and Phil for Sunday.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Ziner wrote:Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.


INdy, Atl, Philly, Balt. PERIOD
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:57 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.


INdy, Atl, Philly, Balt. PERIOD


0% chance all 4 road teams win
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Ziner wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.


INdy, Atl, Philly, Balt. PERIOD


0% chance all 4 road teams win


yeah but....the christmas ale factor
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:07 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.


INdy, Atl, Philly, Balt. PERIOD


0% chance all 4 road teams win


yeah but....the christmas ale factor


touche'

its magic isn't it? i have 7 more
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:40 am

Ziner wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.


INdy, Atl, Philly, Balt. PERIOD


0% chance all 4 road teams win


yeah but....the christmas ale factor


touche'

its magic isn't it? i have 7 more


4 here. I paced myself this whole season....until tonight.
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:59 am

I'll go on record, I'm taking all 4 home dogs, these lines are ridiculous.
User avatar
Nicastro13
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:51 pm
Location: Farrell, PA
Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:17 am

Just locked in ....

Arizona -1
San Diego +1 (-105)
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Colts: even money

Atl/ Ari: Over 51 & over 3.5 total sacks
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6435
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Swerb wrote:Just locked in ....

Arizona -1
San Diego +1 (-105)


LT with a torn groin. I don't think he'll play.

Edit: Maybe not, still game time decision
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6435
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 am

Keeping the home team train rollin tomorrow.

Miami +3.5
Minnesota +3
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Philly -3.5

Over 41

Westbrook Over 108.5 rushing and receiving

It's pretty safe for someone to choose the opposite of me, and come away with some cash.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6435
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Pennington with 7 INTs in 16 games this season. Four today.

This GD Ravens defense and team has been making me miserable for 10 years now.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Swerb wrote:This GD Ravens defense and team has been making me miserable for 10 years now.


They were who we thought they were
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Swerb wrote:Pennington with 7 INTs in 16 games this season. Four today.

This GD Ravens defense and team has been making me miserable for 10 years now.


That division is a fraud.

The three teams that were bidding last week just aren't that good.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6558
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:21 pm

Ziner wrote:Personally to me it is

Indy - no brainer, Peyton shows up and they win by 14
Atl - while Ryan doesnt play well Turner runs ALL over the Cards
Minnesota - Philly is flawed and if everyone goes one way to go the other
Miami - no reason, but they will get it done.


Damn glad I didnt throw down any cash on this one... :bunny:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries


Return to The Gamblers Den

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest