Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

West Side Market

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

West Side Market

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:40 pm

Not a restaurant recommendation like I’ve seen here, but still about food, and a really cool piece of Cleveland history.

http://www.westsidemarket.org/

Long ago I moved across the crooked river. While this put me close to the West Side Market, I had no clue which stalls to hit. Fortunately, a co-worker had family who used to own a stall and she was kind enough to draw me a map and recommend certain vendors.

Sadly, I’ve lost her map – it was most helpful when going through the fruit/vegetable people outside. Many of the inside locations she recommended have become regular stops for me.

I highly recommend the places to follow, and welcome any suggestions from any other poster

I always get there early on a Saturday, it becomes packed by noon. I park in back of the building, talking 25th to Bridge. I walk through the fresh produce stands, into the market and head to the 25th and Lorain corner and start shopping at Dohar’s

http://www.westsidemarket.org/vendor.aspx?id=18

Another co-worker turned me onto Dohar's. When he found out I was heading down to the market, he gave me a $20 and asked to use it for smoked pork chops form here.
Truly great stuff. Grill them up and they taste outstanding. I get compliments everytime I serve them. Can't recomend them enough.
Dohar's is also where I get Canadian bacon. They have other smoked goods and sausages, but I only go to them for the chops and bacon.

I'll post more threads, as there are many stalls to talk about, and I'd rather not just create on giant, unreadable run on post
OpusTPenguin

Re: West Side Market

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:42 pm

the 3 mandatory stops we make at the market when we go are..

Pinzone Meats
Kauffman Poulrty
Ohio City Pasta

miss the days of getting up and getting to the market at 6;30am on a Saturday w/ our grandmother. The smells and the hustle and bustle bring back many great memories
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby mswerb » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:24 pm

Great place, great people.
My father has been going here since he was about 18 years old, and has become such a frequent customer that he phones in his orders and picks them up.
Great place to pick up fresh Smokies.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby waborat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:52 am

One of Cleveland's treasures

There is nothing better than then smell when you first walk in the doors

Buy an Entertainment book and you save a shit load of mulla of meats, seafood, bakery, etc
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby OpusTPenguin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 am

Continuing around the Lorain/West 25th corner, I hit up Classic Seafood for fish. I’ve received a not-so-good review of one of the other market fish mongers, and I like the selection at Classic. They have soft shell crabs when they’re in season. They’ll clean them for you. I get skate there whenever I see it. On occasion, they have calamari and octopus. They usually have exotic meats such as alligator and frog legs in the freezer. I usually get a fillet and have it for lunch when I get back home.

Next to Classic is City Roast Coffee and Tea, the market’s beanery. When I need it, I pick up a pound of coffee and a half pound of espresso. In addition to whole bean, they fix up a pretty good cup of Joe.

The stall next to City Coffee is a source of mixed emotions to me. It’s currently a crepery, and I like crepes, I usually get one for breakfast when I go. But it was the West Side Market Stand for Euclid Sausage. A couple of years ago, the family who owned it, retired. Euclid Sausage was where I would go for brats, bangers, polish/Italian sausages, so I’m at a loss without it. Anyone with a recommendation for a good sausage shop feel free to pass it along.
(insert Lakewood joke HERE)

Darn good crepery, though. Coffee from the beanery and a fresh crepe are a great breakfast when you’re down at the market.
OpusTPenguin

Unread postby waborat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:40 pm

OpusTPenguin wrote: Anyone with a recommendation for a good sausage shop feel free to pass it along.
(insert Lakewood joke HERE)

IMO nothing beats Radell's Sausage shop right off of 152nd St...we've been going there my whole life....it doesn't get any better than their Slovenian Sausage & Smokies when you're in the area
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:42 pm

War : Johnny Hot Dog.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry