Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Oh boy, someone is in deep shit in Berea

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Oh boy, someone is in deep shit in Berea

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:41 am

How about that big fuckup last night? WebDawg on the Cooler at the OBR found the articles hidden on the Browns server, posts the links......and all hell breaks loose. I don't think Zac Jackson will get in trouble, as these writers typically have several stories ready to go to use and when the signing is official they fill in the blanks with details....

But, whoever runs the Browns website is probably in deep crap for even having those articles on the site, even hidden, for someone to figure out how to find them.

I wonder if this results in any tampering charges? John Clayton already got wind of it with his report today:

"The first weird free-agency report of the night came from Cleveland, when the team's Web site reportedly signed Patriots wide receiver David Givens and Ravens punter Dave Zastudil. The only problem was it wasn't true. Givens' agent, Brad Blank, has his client on a 7 a.m. flight to Miami to visit the Dolphins, and he almost didn't send Givens to Cleveland because of the erroneous report. Blank theorized that someone hacked into the Browns' computer, but he emphasized that no deal is done. Givens is scheduled to visit the Browns on Sunday if he doesn't sign with the Dolphins on Saturday."

I believe this has since been removed from Clayton's blog.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:50 am

Excellent piece. And, a nice recap of what happened and good insight:

http://swerbsblurbs.com/article_detail. ... me=browns&
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:51 am

Too funny.

The column I just posted on the front page by new writer John Hnat tells the tale of what happened pretty nicely.

And if you're gonna hide articles, at least don't so it sequentially.

My money says someone from the Browns org pressured Clayton to take that off his blog, and not report on it during this mornings Sportscenter.

If ran with nationally, it would have been another blacke eye to a franchise that can least afford them, especially on the heels of the Lerner/Collins/Savage fiasco, which exposed the teams leadership as a bunch of bumbling, chaotic dolts.

I think they basically told Clayton that he's never get another scoop from their org ever if they ran with it.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:56 am

I don't think it matters. Fans from other fansites were on there last night and I am sure the story is spreading like wildfire.....so much, that SOMEONE in the national media will pick up on it somehow.

Why does this sort of shit only seem to happen with the browns (or Cleveland in general)? So help me God, if anythings comes of this where we are penalized, I'll have about had it with the org. I don't think it is the team's fault, so I don't think anything will come of it.....this clearly is the fault of whoever runs the browns site. Methinks they'll be going through a new company rather quickly.
consigliere

Unread postby BruceK » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:57 am

Speaking as a webmaster of other sites, here is probably what happened.

Websites have a testing server, and an actual live web server. All the pre-written articles should have been put on the testing server as they are being prepared; that's how you can do things like test links, make sure the graphics are in place, etc.

Then somebody inadvertently posted the pre-written articles to the live server. Who did it all depends on the division of labor within the web site.

And it doesn't "only happen to the Browns". Newspapers and wire services have pre-written obituaries for all manner of VIPS, especially those up there in years. And every once in a while, one of those stories goes out over the wire, and Bob Hope or Frank Sinatra is declared dead before he actually is. Considering that readers here and at OBR demand to know the news of a signing the instant it happens, all this stuff needs to be put in place.

Now, everyone take a deep breath, and remember that this is only sports.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:02 am

Now, everyone take a deep breath, and remember that this is only sports.

Only sports? :wink:

And PM or email me those websites Bruce, I'd love to check em out. It's something I want to learn alot more about over the next couple years.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

keeping web secrets

Unread postby BruceK » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:18 pm

The government agencies that release news that can move the stock market, like inflation and unemployment reports, actually disconnect the cable on the computer where they are doing the final release -- so that there's no physical connection to the Internet.

Then at 8:30 in the morning, when that data is released, they have someone connect the cable.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL