Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

SI's Don Banks analyzes the coaching market

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

SI's Don Banks analyzes the coaching market

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 pm

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...es/?eref=sircrc

Some Browns-related highlights:

3. Romeo Crennel, Cleveland -- League sources I talk to say it's 50-50 that Browns owner Randy Lerner blows up the whole thing and starts over in Cleveland with a new general manager and a new head coach. But those odds are on both Savage and Crennel to be fired together. When you ask around regarding just Crennel, it approaches a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

• Pink slip potential: 90 percent.

• Bill Cowher -- If, as expected, he chooses to peel off his TV persona and end his two-year hiatus from the sideline, the former Steelers coach will essentially have his pick of the openings. Cleveland would roll out the red carpet for him, and Detroit could be an intriguing possibility as well.

• Marty Schottenheimer -- The word is he badly wants back in, and his first choice is Cleveland, where his long head-coaching career began in 1984. He might be the Browns' fallback plan if there's no Cowher in their future.

• Kirk Ferentz -- Here's a scenario I'm hearing from a league source: If Browns general manager Phil Savage manages to keep his job, which is far from a certainty, he'll go hard after Ferentz as Crennel's replacement. After 10 years as Iowa's head coach, Ferentz might finally consider the time is right for a return to the NFL. The Hawkeyes rebounded this year to 8-4 and knocked off undefeated Penn State in November.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Re: SI's Don Banks analyzes the coaching market

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Crash Davis wrote:• Bill Cowher -- If, as expected, he chooses to peel off his TV persona and end his two-year hiatus from the sideline, the former Steelers coach will essentially have his pick of the openings. Cleveland would roll out the red carpet for him, and Detroit could be an intriguing possibility as well.

• Marty Schottenheimer -- The word is he badly wants back in, and his first choice is Cleveland, where his long head-coaching career began in 1984. He might be the Browns' fallback plan if there's no Cowher in their future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB3PKNqFeO0

Reunited and it would feel pretty damn good.

Billy you can be the head man, Marty the GM.

Thats the ultimate dream scenario.
Perfect....how things should've ended up in the first place back in the late 80's.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:44 pm

Crash Davis wrote:• Kirk Ferentz -- Here's a scenario I'm hearing from a league source: If Browns general manager Phil Savage manages to keep his job, which is far from a certainty, he'll go hard after Ferentz as Crennel's replacement. After 10 years as Iowa's head coach, Ferentz might finally consider the time is right for a return to the NFL. The Hawkeyes rebounded this year to 8-4 and knocked off undefeated Penn State in November.

Okay, this frightens me.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Toxicadam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Let's just get Joe Tiller and go run and shoot, baby! WOOOO
Toxicadam

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:49 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:• Kirk Ferentz -- Here's a scenario I'm hearing from a league source: If Browns general manager Phil Savage manages to keep his job, which is far from a certainty, he'll go hard after Ferentz as Crennel's replacement. After 10 years as Iowa's head coach, Ferentz might finally consider the time is right for a return to the NFL. The Hawkeyes rebounded this year to 8-4 and knocked off undefeated Penn State in November.

Okay, this frightens me.

We can go round and round on this and I am sure there are different opinions but this is precisely why Savage should go too. I don't think he is anything other than a glorified scout. He's NOT the person you want running the football side of things in an organization and you certainly don't want him picking the head coach.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby Juannieboy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:57 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:

Okay, this frightens me.

We can go round and round on this and I am sure there are different opinions but this is precisely why Savage should go too. I don't think he is anything other than a glorified scout. He's NOT the person you want running the football side of things in an organization and you certainly don't want him picking the head coach.

Concur completely. I believe Marty and Bill would be a great tandem to lead this team.
I'm Polish...what's your excuse?
Juannieboy

Favorite Player: Gary?
Least Favorite Player: Trombone

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Juannieboy wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:

Okay, this frightens me.

Concur completely. I believe Marty and Bill would be a great tandem to lead this team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYtPKkGpog

They were before. There you go Randy, see if Cowher could agree to working with his old boss again. Get to it.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby hornet84 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:

Okay, this frightens me.

I could see Phil trying to talk Pete Carroll into coming back to the NFL. Phil is infatuated with USC. I think he gets a tingle in his nether regions anytime he thinks about the Trojans
:bunny:
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:09 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:

Okay, this frightens me.

Me no likey neither.

:hide:
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby jb » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:

Okay, this frightens me.

Actually, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall at the post season meeting where Phil tries to throw RAC under the bus and makes the case for..... Kirk Ferenz. I'd love to see lerner's face and I also want to know who he brings with him into the meeting.

I can't see the scenario where Phil survives intact as HMFIC and gets to bringing "his" coach.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Ferentz can't win or develop talent in college, why promote him?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Karl Dorrell intrigues me. He might not fit in Cleveland, but he got a lot out of some mediocre UCLA teams when he coached there, plus he has NFL experience. He also showed a never-say-die attitude with the Bruins. He's going to be a coach somewhere in the NFL soon.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Okay, this frightens me.

Frightened like an eight year old watching Poltergeist here.

(Marty wants back in? I could've sworn someone else heard him say he was done with football. Regardless, Marty as team president and Brian as head coach would not completely suck.)
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm

JB wrote:Actually, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall at the post season meeting where Phil tries to throw RAC under the bus and makes the case for..... Kirk Ferenz. I'd love to see lerner's face and I also want to know who he brings with him into the meeting.

"So this Kirk Fence guy was a respected Browns coach once and had a successful run with Idaho? Sold. Now, if you'll excuse me, we're playing Leeds in half an hour."
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Cart way before the horse, BUT....

If we go with Marty as GM / Prez and Cowher as HC...who would be the likely OC and DC candidates? I would think both MS and BC would have built a lot of good relationships in the league throughout the years. Who has worked as BC's DC besides Lebeau?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Holy Mother of Mansfield Lucas, when in all of your collective years has anyone ever dreamed that Marty could select talent? Ever?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 pm

Seriously, Marty as GM?
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby mrburns » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:45 pm

I'm not sure that Savage feels secure enough in his position to bring in a bigtime head coach. Here's a question: If Lerner's forced to choose between Savage and Cowher, what does he do? What would you do?
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:31 pm

easy choice. Can Phil. He doesn't suck, but he is not irreplaceable. The Browns need to stop taking flyers on coaches and grab a guy with a history of winning. I am fine with Marty or Cowher.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby DrPoove » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:34 pm

Mr. Burns wrote:I'm not sure that Savage feels secure enough in his position to bring in a bigtime head coach. Here's a question: If Lerner's forced to choose between Savage and Cowher, what does he do? What would you do?

Choose Cowher or sell the team, please and thank you.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:44 am

jfiling wrote:Seriously, Marty as GM?

For the love of Mike Junkin, Marty as Team President, but not as GM. He can give direction, but leave the talent selection and big game coaching to someone else.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby BSchultz17 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:09 am

hornet84 wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:

Okay, this frightens me.

I could see Phil trying to talk Pete Carroll into coming back to the NFL. Phil is infatuated with USC. I think he gets a tingle in his nether regions anytime he thinks about the Trojans
:bunny:

I am curious, not trying to disagree with this statement, just wondering what the basis is for it. There is one player on the Browns roster from USC (Willie McGinest), and I don't know of anyone on the coaching staff with ties to SC. If he is infatuated with the fact that USC is about as close to a professional organization in the collegiate ranks you can get, he's not far off. I am not trying to start a debate, just wondering what the reasoning behind this is?
The definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
BSchultz17

Favorite Player: Youngstown, Ohio
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh, PA

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
jfiling wrote:Seriously, Marty as GM?

For the love of Mike Junkin, Marty as Team President, but not as GM. He can give direction, but leave the talent selection and big game coaching to someone else.

Minimally, it guarantees you a selection of a LBer number one every year, and we need those? Right?

:lmfao:
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:12 am

Mr. Burns wrote:I'm not sure that Savage feels secure enough in his position to bring in a bigtime head coach. Here's a question: If Lerner's forced to choose between Savage and Cowher, what does he do? What would you do?

Perhaps the funniest post you've ever thown up in either iteration.

You may have either a Pontiac G 6 or an Acura TL.

You decide.
jb

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL