Text Size

The Rumble Room

Double Header on HBO Saturday the 29th

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Double Header on HBO Saturday the 29th

Unread postby Guest » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:46 pm

One of my favorite fighters Paul Williams headlines the card Saturday. He's my pound for pound king. My new rankings will be out after the De La Hoya Pacquiao scrap.

10pm SATURDAY, November 29 - at Ontario, California (HBO) -

12 rounds, light middleweights: Paul Williams
(35-1, 26 KOs) vs. Verno Phillips (42-10-1, 21 KOs);

12 rounds, heavyweights: Chris Arreola (25-0, 22 KOs)
vs. Travis Walker (28-1-1, 22 KOs).

Re: Double Header on HBO Saturday the 29th

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:17 pm

This fight is insane.

These guys are just throwing bombs.

Two big doh heavyweights that hit real hard and can't defend.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:22 pm

Get this Arreaola a real trainer that will get his fat ass in shape and teach him to defend his head .... and you may have something.

As is, either Klitschko would eat his lunch.

This clown he fought tonight was a soup can. Major power, but was just throwing bombs and dropping his hands. Arreola was skilled enough to eat some punches early, fight back, and expose him.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:27 pm

Give the guy credit though, he called himself out as a fat slob in the post fight interview with Max, admitted he'd need to be in much better shape against either Klitschko.

Classic post fight interview.

Max: "What did you think of Walker?"
Arreola: "He's a strong mother fucker."

Max: "What were you thinking here when you went down?"
Arreola: "Shit."

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:37 am

Paul Williams is the pound for pound king, who is going to want to fight him?????

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:57 am

Impressive win against a solid vet.

You're right, good luck finding top tier guys willing to fight this cat. Scary talent.

Margarito's not gonna be able to avoid him forever though. Not with that loss to avenge.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:42 am

Agree on Margarito not being able to avoid him forever Swerb. I still think it's pretty funny that just a couple of years ago it was Margarito who was calling out Mayweather over and over for not wanting to fight him, and saying he was scared........kinda funny how times have changed.

Out of curiosity, anyone know who Cotto is fighting next? I know they were talking about a rematch with Margarito before the Mosley/Margarito fight was finalized, but I haven't heard anything since.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:12 am

jclvd_23 wrote:Agree on Margarito not being able to avoid him forever Swerb. I still think it's pretty funny that just a couple of years ago it was Margarito who was calling out Mayweather over and over for not wanting to fight him, and saying he was scared........kinda funny how times have changed.

Out of curiosity, anyone know who Cotto is fighting next? I know they were talking about a rematch with Margarito before the Mosley/Margarito fight was finalized, but I haven't heard anything since.

Good point on Margarito jc. For half a decade that was his battle cry, that he was the man no one wanted to face. Had validity too. That said ... I got no problem with him taking one step down fight. Deserves it after beating Cotto. Mosely's no chump either. Perfect opponent for him. Big name, will generate some dollars, certainly no pushover .... yet he will win almost for sure, and not get his face bashed in. Moseley doesn't have much power left.

Of course, that's what some said when Pavlik picked Hopkins.

Next fight for Margarito has gotta be Paul Williams. Or Mayweather, who should be ready to come out of retirement about then ... cash a check for 5-6 mill.

Cotto is fighting some no name in Jan. Assuming HBO will be showing it.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:01 pm

Swerb wrote:Good point on Margarito jc. For half a decade that was his battle cry, that he was the man no one wanted to face. Had validity too. That said ... I got no problem with him taking one step down fight. Deserves it after beating Cotto. Mosely's no chump either. Perfect opponent for him. Big name, will generate some dollars, certainly no pushover .... yet he will win almost for sure, and not get his face bashed in. Moseley doesn't have much power left.

I agree 100% that Margarito deserves a "down" fight, although I'm definitely up for watching him and Shane go at it, and think Shane could make it interesting for a few rounds if he can keep moving. Margarito's definitely a top fighter in the Welterweight division at this time, I'm still kinda pissed over him taking out Cotto, as he's one of my current top 5 favorite fighters. I thought the Margarito/Cotto fight was one of the best of the year and I had Cotto ahead in that fight until the last 4 or 5 rounds when he just crumbled under Margarito's relentless pressure.

I'd love to see Mayweather come out of retirement, as there are a ton of big money fights available in the welterweight/junior middleweight division. With names like Margarito, Mayweather, Williams, Cotto, De la Hoya (before he retires), Mosley, and even an up-and-comer like Andre Berto (another one of my favorites), the fight possibilities are very intriguing.
jclvd_23

Unread postby Guest » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:20 pm

1st off I don't think Mosley is a down fight at all, his speed will present problems.
2nd, why does Margarito deserve a so call down fight anyway? He said he was the most ducked fighter and now he's the one denying Williams (who beat him) a rematch for a huge payday.
After the Williams loss, Margarito beat Golden Johnson and Kermit Cintron(who he destroyed for the second time) so there are his down fights.

Cotto will be back better than ever in my eyes and it starts on Feb 21st against Michael Jennings who is 34-1 but against very suspect competition.

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 am

FightDr wrote: Cotto will be back better than ever in my eyes and it starts on Feb 21st against Michael Jennings who is 34-1 but against very suspect competition.

Thanks for the info on Cotto's next fight FightDr., do you know if it's going to be telecast on HBO? Also, maybe I should start this in another thread, but what our your and Swerbs (and any others who want to chime in) opinions on Andre Berto? I think this kid has a lot of potential, he has very quick/explosive hands, and I think he'll be fighting for a title sometime in 2009.
jclvd_23

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:07 am

Cotto will probably be on HBO, not confirmed yet.

I love Andre Berto, one of my favorites. Classy guy, I've had the chance to speak to him a few times.
Great speed, good power. He has to keep working on his defense. Great movement.
He has the tools to be an elite fighter and was close to getting a shot at Mosley when they thought the Margarito fight fell thru.

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:03 am

I actually just wanted to correct my last post.....I believe Berto actually already claimed a title. Didn't he pick up the belt that Floyd dropped when he retired, or am I thinking of someone else?
jclvd_23

Unread postby Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:20 pm

Berto does have a belt, which means nothing to me nowadays.

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:42 am

Agree 100%
jclvd_23

Return to The Rumble Room