Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Attacking The Netflix Q

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:24 am

Swerb wrote:
Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark yet Swerb?

I haven't watched a movie (besides Cars, which I've watched like six times) in like two months. With movies, I go in runs. I'll watch 4 a week for 3 months, then take a couple months off.

It's been sitting on top of my DVD player since May.

I'm the same and on a similar off-season at the moment. I hit the theaters for Dark Night but beyond that I am taking some time off after an intense spring and winter.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:39 am

e0y2e3 wrote:
Swerb wrote:

I haven't watched a movie (besides Cars, which I've watched like six times) in like two months. With movies, I go in runs. I'll watch 4 a week for 3 months, then take a couple months off.

I'm the same and on a similar off-season at the moment. I hit the theaters for Dark Night but beyond that I am taking some time off after an intense spring and winter.

Yeah, ever since I started having kids and stopped going to the theater as much (want to get the kid out to see Wall-E tonight), I have that spell in the winter, after football ends, when all the good previous year movies come out, that I just do nothing but watch movies for about 3 months.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Did you read 'Bringing Down the House' by Ben Mezrich?

Yes. Excellent work for sure.

So is his book 'Ugly Americans'. In fact, he's cornered the market on the damage 20-somethings can do when so motivated. 8) :cool: 8-)

I need to pick this one up. It's better than reading for school in a month. Right now, though, I'm reading Will Leitch's God Save The Fan, but his obvious liberal slant, even with sports, is pissing me off. At least Deadspin is a hilariously awesome site.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Mitch wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Also rented 'In Bruges' based on the recommendation of some cat at work. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

It sounds pretty damn good.

I rented it, and it's right now on my Bottom 5 list for 2008.

Some good Tarantino parts here and there, but basically pretty dull, interspersed with weird.

Given the cast, I expected a lot better.

I liked it Mitch. Thought it was entertaining and the dialogue (while forced in some spots) was very good. I especially liked the exchange between Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes when Ken called Harry's entire a family a bunch of whiny...well...you know.

I will say I'm not a big Colin Farrell fan and this film didn't change that opinion.

Plus there was a racist midget (uh...dwarf rather) !!! That made it worth the rental all by itself.

Ray: What are they doing over there? They're filming something. They're filming midgets!
Ken: Ray...
[Ray runs off and watches Jimmy being instructed by the director, who Jimmy flicks off as soon as he leaves]
Ken: Ray, come on. Let's go.
Ray: Fuck off, Ken. They're filming midgets.
Last edited by peeker643 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Swerb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Yeah, ever since I started having kids and stopped going to the theater as much (want to get the kid out to see Wall-E tonight), I have that spell in the winter, after football ends, when all the good previous year movies come out, that I just do nothing but watch movies for about 3 months.

I'm thinking I am going to have to buy The Wire Box Set to make it through the fall.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CTownPride » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:24 pm

Speaking of Netflix... how much weight do you put in their ratings? Would you put mroe stock in IMDB's stats? This things always seem to throw me off when searching for movies.
CTownPride

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:06 pm

CTownPride wrote:Speaking of Netflix... how much weight do you put in their ratings? Would you put mroe stock in IMDB's stats? This things always seem to throw me off when searching for movies.

IMDB, by far Steve.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby The Brook » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:00 pm

I use Blockbuster Online (I like it better because you can take the movie you get from the mail to the Blockbuster store and you get to rent one for free while you are waiting for the next one in the mail). Anyway, my "Q" is currently at 427. It's pretty intimidating. But I'm going through the TV show's "The Wire", "The Shield", "Wings" & BBC's "The Planet Earth" so I'm off movies for a month or two.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:43 pm

The Brook wrote:I use Blockbuster Online (I like it better because you can take the movie you get from the mail to the Blockbuster store and you get to rent one for free while you are waiting for the next one in the mail). Anyway, my "Q" is currently at 427. It's pretty intimidating. But I'm going through the TV show's "The Wire", "The Shield", "Wings" & BBC's "The Planet Earth" so I'm off movies for a month or two.

If you can, get the Sigourney Weaver narrated version of Planet Earth. Her voice is soothing and is the perfect accompaniment. I've heard that people consider the true BBC version with David Attenborough to be a little boring and monotonous.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Swerb wrote:
CTownPride wrote:Speaking of Netflix... how much weight do you put in their ratings? Would you put mroe stock in IMDB's stats? This things always seem to throw me off when searching for movies.

IMDB, by far Steve.

Rottentomatoes is the best.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Re: Attacking The Netflix Q

Unread postby waborat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Pretty slow time of the year for good flicks on dvd as my "Q" is getting pretty empty...here's what we've seen lately:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall: I laughed my balls off and I think my wife lost her tits watching this one...hilarious chit
Iron Man: I agree with Mitch...Downey's acting was the best I've ever seen as a superhero
Baby Mama: Wasn't expecting anything with this one, but was pleasantly surprised (kinda like The Bucket List)
Smart People: Sucked
Sex And The City; Sucked even worse (I could watch and laugh at the tv show, but this was dreadful)
Deception: Maybe the worst Hugh Jackman movie I've seen
21: What I expected...one of those "kill time" movies

Up next: Indy & The Hulk
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby ThisIsNat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 am

I watched a bunch of movies over Fall Break, first time in awhile that I've had time. In picking them, I actually read through some of Netflix's recommendations...figured I've been on and rating movies for a couple of years now so maybe it could pick some good ones for me. Ended up watching Primal Fear, a 1996 movie starring Richard Gere and Ed Norton. Very good, not sure how I missed it in '96 but very worth watching if you haven't. Finally finished the "Bourne" series and enjoyed it as well as a couple of chick flicks, but Primal Fear was a nice surprise, courtesy of Netfilx recommendations.
ThisIsNat

Favorite Player: Bernie/Omar
Least Favorite Player: T.O.

Unread postby waborat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:36 am

ThisIsNat wrote: Ended up watching Primal Fear, a 1996 movie starring Richard Gere and Ed Norton. Very good, not sure how I missed it in '96 but very worth watching if you haven't. Finally finished the "Bourne" series and enjoyed it as well as a couple of chick flicks, but Primal Fear was a nice surprise, courtesy of Netfilx recommendations.

Read the book a couple of years before the flick and was really looking forward to the movie...A great surprise in the mid 90's and the launching of Ed Norton began
waborat

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:09 am

Been prolly 6 months since I've seen a non animated movie, but this is the time of year where I start to knock em out on Cavs off nights.

Spent some time updating my Netflix queue tonight. Anything I should move up, move down, or add? Top 20 of about 80 listed below.

WALL-E
Funny Games
Wolf Creek
Audition
Atonement
The Dark Knight
Amores Perros
Iron Man
Stalingrad
The Devil's Backbone
Ichi the Killer
The X-Files: I Want to Believe
Planet Earth: Complete Collection: Disc 1
Once Upon a Time in America
Life as a House
Primer
Tropic Thunder
Sweeney Todd
Miller's Crossing
The Golden Compass

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 am

I thought Iron Man was excellent. I'm not one for the superhero/comic book genre, but it was a very good movie.

I also liked 21 quite a bit, but I'm also a gambling addict.

Add Get Smart to your queue for a movie where you need some laughs. Steve Carell was excellent and Anne Hathaway was quite hot in that movie.

If you haven't seen it, add In America to your queue. That's a gem of a movie.

I didn't see it, but everyone I've talked to has said that The Dark Knight was outstanding. Perhaps a best picture nominee. Supposedly it has very heavy conservative undertones too, something you (and I) would appreciate.

Also, add Wanted when it comes out on December 2 or whenever. It's right around that time. That was a good movie.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby waborat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:29 am

Swerb wrote:Been prolly 6 months since I've seen a non animated movie, but this is the time of year where I start to knock em out on Cavs off nights.

Spent some time updating my Netflix queue tonight. Anything I should move up, move down, or add? Top 20 of about 80 listed below.

WALL-E
Funny Games
Wolf Creek
Audition
Atonement
The Dark Knight
Amores Perros
Iron Man
Stalingrad
The Devil's Backbone
Ichi the Killer
Life as a House
Primer
Tropic Thunder
Sweeney Todd
Miller's Crossing
The Golden Compass

Move Sweeney Todd up the list...skip Atonement altogether (believe me)...put the kids to bed at 3:00 pm one night and definitely watch OUATIA!!!!
waborat

Unread postby Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:59 pm

Definitely listen to what you've just been told regarding dumping "Atonement", and adding (or moving up) "Get Smart" and "Sweeney Todd".

The pure Broadway songs that happen two or three times in the movie may not be your cup of tea...but Johnny Depp as a deranged musical 19th Century Dexter without the sense of remorse will definitely entertain you.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Mitch wrote:Definitely listen to what you've just been told regarding dumping "Atonement", and adding (or moving up) "Get Smart" and "Sweeney Todd".

The pure Broadway songs that happen two or three times in the movie may not be your cup of tea...but Johnny Depp as a deranged musical 19th Century Dexter without the sense of remorse will definitely entertain you.

Sweeney Todd is great.... one of my favorites last year.

I cannot speak on Get Smart as I cannot make myself sit down and watch it (go ahead, call me a snob).

A classic comedy that I just caught on one of the movie channels and DVR'd is Outside Providence, if you have never seen it I highly recommend it. It a "late Saturday afternoon without the wife" type of movie, no doubt, but it is worth seeing at least once.

I recommended Wolf Creek and it is good (not incredible, by any standards) horror. It is more true to it's true story form than the Strangers and a much superior flick.... rent it next time you want to see a horror movie without dealing with the mind melting disturbances of Audition (next time you want to be freaked out in a gross/why/wtf way go with Auditon.

I'm still not back in full movie mode, but I am officially out of Browns mode, so my movie season will probably be coming earlier than usual this year (I normally just start pounding the theaters when the Oscar worthy films come out, missing the first few, but catching the majority).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JoJo White » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Get Transsiberian and The Visitor. Both were very good, though if you're a fan of Tom Tancrendo you prolly won't like Visitor.

Thought Crystal Skull sucked and was unintentionally funny and I lost interest in Get Smart and 21 early. Didn't finish watching either one.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Swerb wrote:Been prolly 6 months since I've seen a non animated movie, but this is the time of year where I start to knock em out on Cavs off nights.

WALL-E
Funny Games
Wolf Creek
Audition
Atonement
The Dark Knight
Amores Perros
Iron Man
Stalingrad
The Devil's Backbone
Ichi the Killer
Life as a House
Primer
Tropic Thunder
Sweeney Todd
Miller's Crossing
The Golden Compass

I agree w/ waborat on Atonement...don't waste your time at all.

I thought that the Planet Earth series was fantastic. Try to make sure you get the BBC version instead of Discovery...David Attenborogh is a far superior narrator than Sigourney Weaver.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:13 am

Reorg ...

WALL-E
Step Brothers
The Dark Knight
Burn After Reading
Tropic Thunder
Iron Man
Sweeney Todd
Amores Perros
Audition
Stalingrad
The Doors: Live in Europe
The Devil's Backbone Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Ichi the Killer
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Once Upon a Time in America Play

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby docstank » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Swerb, trust me move Into the Wild up, I think it is better than what you have in que from what I have seen on your list. Not sure if Mitch liked this flick or not I have not seen comments on it, this movie is a keeper. I believe the only other flick I suggested of you was return to paradise, I try to deliver because nothing worse than a bad referral. I look to your list for movies to see when I am out of ideas and our taste usually jives, you should give this a look. Plus it is a true story, always adds a little IMO.
Emile Hirsh deserves an Oscar best young actor IMO.
docstank

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:21 pm

docstank wrote:Swerb, trust me move Into the Wild up, I think it is better than what you have in que from what I have seen on your list. Not sure if Mitch liked this flick or not I have not seen comments on it, this movie is a keeper. I believe the only other flick I suggested of you was return to paradise, I try to deliver because nothing worse than a bad referral. I look to your list for movies to see when I am out of ideas and our taste usually jives, you should give this a look. Plus it is a true story, always adds a little IMO.
Emile Hirsh deserves an Oscar best young actor IMO.

Stank, last time you reccomended a film, you came through. That one with Vince Vaughn where his buddy gets jailed for dealing hash.

Into the Wild moves up the Q.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 am

My Q's getting very short and they sent me "Changeling" from 2 years ago starring Angelina Jolie...

Never really heard any love for this film (other than best actress nominee), but damn, it was a good one...Interested in hearing what you thought, Mitch?

A "fast" 2.5 hour movie that kept my attention throughout...

Period piece from the '20s based on a true story of the Wineville Chicken Coop Murders...Ang's character had her son kidnapped and it's amazing what she had to go through to try and find him...

Clint Eastwood hits another one outta the park!!!
waborat

Unread postby municipalmutt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks for bumping this. I sprung for the single disk unlimited plan with blu-ray for 2 bucks more. The first DVD from Netflix arrived last night, Terminator Salvation. It was big on action and a little short on character development. I'm still messing with my Q, my next film up is "Drag Me To Hell", and have I've watched some streaming stuff (mostly old SNL shows) on the PS3. Great service so far.
municipalmutt

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am

Here's a little tip to all...

Move "Up In The Air" to #1 on your queue
waborat

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 am

municipalmutt wrote:Thanks for bumping this. I sprung for the single disk unlimited plan with blu-ray for 2 bucks more. The first DVD from Netflix arrived last night, Terminator Salvation. It was big on action and a little short on character development. I'm still messing with my Q, my next film up is "Drag Me To Hell", and have I've watched some streaming stuff (mostly old SNL shows) on the PS3. Great service so far.

I still have a lawsuit pending with the Terminator Salvation people. They owe me a Delorean so I can get my 115 minutes back.

Tearing through season one of Lost on the Instant Queue right now. I've never used cocaine, but I feel like the first season of Lost might be a good television equivalent. Really great stuff. Wondering if it will lose me when it goes more sci-fi in the following seasons.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Mr. Burns wrote:

I still have a lawsuit pending with the Terminator Salvation people. They owe me a Delorean so I can get my 115 minutes back.

Tearing through season one of Lost on the Instant Queue right now. I've never used cocaine, but I feel like the first season of Lost might be a good television equivalent. Really great stuff. Wondering if it will lose me when it goes more sci-fi in the following seasons.

+ infinity on the Terminator Salvation comment.

Lost goes a little off the reservation in season 2, I thought, but it's still good enough to watch, especially if you can fast forward through some of the boring flashback scenes. But it recovers nicely.

Thing is...it never really gets too "sci-fi-ish"...it just remains a WTF? head trip the entire way.

Really enjoying the final season episodes so far.

(Oh...and to answer Wobo's earlier question...I've not yet seen Changeling. Heard too much "meh" comments about it when it was out...but now that MY queue is down to shite like "Law Abiding Citizen"...which I will destroy tomorrow in a mini-review in the Crystal Ball...I think it'll be added).

Unread postby waborat » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 pm

Mitch wrote:
(Oh...and to answer Wobo's earlier question...I've not yet seen Changeling. Heard too much "meh" comments about it when it was out...but now that MY queue is down to shite like "Law Abiding Citizen"...which I will destroy tomorrow in a mini-review in the Crystal Ball...I think it'll be added).

Check it out Mitch...

Interested in hearing what ya got to say about it?

Not the greatest movie, but liked it better than Gone Baby Gone...

Never heard anything about those murders back in the 20's
waborat

Unread postby municipalmutt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm beginning to sour on the Netflix experience. My first streaming disk stopped being readable on the ps3 and the second one is starting to act funny like its on its way out. The q screen normally has a white background with my selections in instant q. After the black background happened on the first streaming disk it was unreadbale soon after. I have read other forums and it is a known issue with the streaming disk for the ps3. I think the blu-ray laser turns the disk a slight brown on the inside closest to the hole and after a couple weeks its a coaster. I don't have any problems on the ps3 with any other disks.

They're supposed to do a firmware update for the ps3 so you won't need the streaming disk anymore but that's not supposed to happen until the end of this year.

I also noticed my turn around time for blu-rays has gone from two days to four.
Maybe when you have the trial period they're trying to blow you and after you're married to them they cut out the oral? Anyhow it seems like they're dragging their feet now on shipping.

Many of the tv shows have some serious audio/video sync issues and I was watching Reno 911 and none of the episode numbers/descriptions match what you actually stream.

There also seems to be a lame attempt to get you to watch some counterfeit version of a new release. They almost got me on Transmorphers.

If it wasn't so cheap, I'd consider cancelling the service but with all of its faults its still worth 12 bucks a month.
municipalmutt

Unread postby waborat » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:26 am

municipalmutt wrote:I'm beginning to sour on the Netflix experience.

That sucks...

I don't have any experience with the streaming disks because we don't need one with our blu-ray player?

But our turn-around time is still only 2 days unless it's over a weekend

Sidenote: Watched The Messenger the other night, but can't really recommend it unless you watch the first hour and then turn it off...

Woody Harrelson was great in his role, but it seemed like the writer wasn't sure where to go with the story of two soldiers whose job it is to inform families when loved ones are killed in battle.

Some powerful scenes, especially the one with Steve Buscemi, but kinda lost me with the whole "looking for chicks" thing
waborat

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture