Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Chef Michael Symon - Cleveland Sports Fan

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Chef Michael Symon - Cleveland Sports Fan

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:05 pm

I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Re: Chef Michael Symon - Cleveland Sports Fan

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:28 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Very entertaining read

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3686733

Now that I know he's from Ed's he'll never get another dollar from me the rest of his life.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:24 pm

...and I just called in a reservation for two.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby General » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:05 pm

At Euclid in 1977-79, both of those institutions of catholic learning baseball squads were kind enough to let us pound them. So...Cheers, Michael Symon. :lmfao: :cheers:

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:43 pm

General wrote:At Euclid in 1977-79, both of those institutions of catholic learning baseball squads were kind enough to let us pound them. So...Cheers, Michael Symon. :lmfao: :cheers:

The Senate used to be a good conference at one time, too.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 pm

JB wrote:
General wrote:At Euclid in 1977-79, both of those institutions of catholic learning baseball squads were kind enough to let us pound them. So...Cheers, Michael Symon. :lmfao: :cheers:

The Senate used to be a good conference at one time, too.

Iggy's and Ed's must just do really well passing all those levies that must be required to build ivory towers and moats. Still, how can they not be competitive in every single sport they offer even back then? I graduated from Euclid in '85 and it wasn't any different. Drawing the jesuits or a senate team meant 10th graders got to experience a playoff baseball win.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:54 am

Things were different back then Peeker.

Both schools had a much more narrow focus on sports, it was football then whatever else was their respective best shot. For Ed's it was always about wresting b/c they had the man, football could arguably be considered second there for years. Besides that for both schools it was a football first and whatever else second mentality. Ed's changed that all up with Whidden for hockey and Iggy took basketball on as its second priority. But things are different now in all HS sports. Now they focus on football but they put lots of energy into all their sports, which is why an Ed's has a crown in everything (except football) in the last 8 years.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 am

You make that very nicely delivered statement from underneath the elephant in the room? Nobody wants to address money or the degradation of the public school systems? Where the only chance the public schools have is to be so depressed financially that maybe some once-in-a-lifetime difference maker shows up harnesses an abundance of athletic talent and gives a program some hope?

Euclid isn't Glenville (yet). Maybe when it gets to that point they can compete again with the Jesuits.

Not sure why we're tiptoeing past or avoiding the race/money angle. Usually because it's because the kids from those private institutions think it ain't about money and race.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby General » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:46 am

We can all chuckle at how old I am but back in my day, Euclid was rocking with several industrial cash cows pouring money into the system. Sports wise we had two pools, an indoor track, an archery room, a wrestling room, two full size gyms, one complete with flanking balconies that each had a basketball court. Not to mention at the time "state of the high school art" football and baseball complexes. The education side of the house included many labs and a planetarium along with fully equipped business rooms, shops that could have probably supported a small business. It was almost decadent. In my era, the guys that "jumped ship" to go to Joe's, Ed's, or Iggy's were rare. But then again there is that elephant in the room....Euclid HS was about as white as you could get. I guess I have a point but it is mine, but I thought I would give a little eye from the past.

General

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Peeker643 wrote:You make that very nicely delivered statement from underneath the elephant in the room? Nobody wants to address money or the degradation of the public school systems? Where the only chance the public schools have is to be so depressed financially that maybe some once-in-a-lifetime difference maker shows up harnesses an abundance of athletic talent and gives a program some hope?

Euclid isn't Glenville (yet). Maybe when it gets to that point they can compete again with the Jesuits.

Not sure why we're tiptoeing past or avoiding the race/money angle. Usually because it's because the kids from those private institutions think it ain't about money and race.

Peeker you're not suggesting that certain kids of certain minority status with certain athletic abilities goes to these school for free or for a largely discounted rate are you?

If you are that is awfully unPC of you.

:roll :roll:

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:20 pm

FUDU wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:You make that very nicely delivered statement from underneath the elephant in the room? Nobody wants to address money or the degradation of the public school systems? Where the only chance the public schools have is to be so depressed financially that maybe some once-in-a-lifetime difference maker shows up harnesses an abundance of athletic talent and gives a program some hope?

Peeker you're not suggesting that certain kids of certain minority status with certain athletic abilities goes to these school for free or for a largely discounted rate are you?

If you are that is awfully unPC of you.

:roll :roll:

Why would they want to FUDU? For the catholic education they and their families have always dreamed of? :lmfao:

I agree, the playing field is perfectly level. :bag:

Anyway, that Michael Symon can cook.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:18 pm

Euclid was rocking with several industrial cash cows pouring money into the system. Sports wise we had two pools, an indoor track, an archery room, a wrestling room, two full size gyms, one complete with flanking balconies that each had a basketball court. Not to mention at the time "state of the high school art" football and baseball complexes. The education side of the house included many labs and a planetarium along with fully equipped business rooms, shops that could have probably supported a small business.

Hammer meet nail.

It is about $ and de-industrialization killed Euclid.

BTW - Ed's & Ignatius have very different athletic philosophies as far as what they will and won't do. It's just a fact.
jb

Unread postby ProgRocker » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:28 pm

But you Euclid jagoffs could never touch the glory days that were ST. JOE'S!

Man that was fun beatin' you guys back in the day ...

(And I've got reservations for Lola the day after Thanksgiving, woo hoo!)
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 pm

ProgRocker wrote:

He clearly said baseball Prog. They made us smarter at EHS than to reference football season and St. Joes. It was my senior year when Rattay beat Joe's for the first time in about 6 generations. That was a fine drunken night before, during and after that game.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby ProgRocker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:

He clearly said baseball Prog. They made us smarter at EHS than to reference football season and St. Joes. It was my senior year when Rattay beat Joe's for the first time in about 6 generations. That was a fine drunken night before, during and after that game.

So noted. The Catholic schools never gave a damn about spring sports -- all football, basketball, and wrestling.

I should know, I was on the pathetic excuse of a tennis team that we had!
ProgRocker

Unread postby jb » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41 pm

ProgRocker wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:

So noted. The Catholic schools never gave a damn about spring sports -- all football, basketball, and wrestling.

Prog, I miss the real Joe's as a D1 FB power.

Going from Pukelit to Ignatius via the 28 bus to the red line I loved to hate y'all.

Best compliment I can give.

War : Bill Gutbroad!

PS - Dunno what my boi Peeker is whining about ;-) ;) :wink: but Pukelit won like one state title since like JFK was shot; in 82. They don't have state title hopes at schools like that. Just great facilities in the schools' back yard, conference title aspirations and hope to survive maybe one playoff game. (mooning)

And before the neo public school whining starts, I lived thru the McKinley miricles and the Glenville skid.

They sacked up and got it done.

St Ignatius plays no home games in anything butt track.
jb

Unread postby General » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 am

JB wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:

Going from Pukelit to Ignatius via the 28 bus to the red line I loved to hate y'all.

PS - Dunno what my boi Peeker is whining about ;-) ;) :wink: but Pukelit won like one state title since like JFK was shot; in 82. They don't have state title hopes at schools like that. Just great facilities in the schools' back yard, conference title aspirations and hope to survive maybe one playoff game. (mooning)

And before the neo public school whining starts, I lived thru the McKinley miricles and the Glenville skid.

Two...1963 and 1982. :cheers:

General

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:05 am

State runner up in '78
State runner up in '79
State title in '82,
Regional Finals in '85 (at least Brush lost the title game- no joy for those humps)
State final four in '91.

That's a pretty solid decade or so JB. I'd say there were some legit title hopes too since they won one and played in Columbus for four of them..

Granted, it ain't a football run like jesuit money can buy, but that was a solid program at Euclid under Serra and Hartman.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Peeker643 wrote:State runner up in '78
State runner up in '79
State title in '82,
Regional Finals in '85 (at least Brush lost the title game- no joy for those humps)
State final four in '91.

That's a pretty solid decade or so JB. I'd say there were some legit title hopes too since they won one and played in Columbus for four of them..

Granted, it ain't a football run like jesuit money can buy, but that was a solid program at Euclid under Serra and Hartman.

Nahh, we take vow of poverty don't you know.

Being drop dead serious; it's Chuck Kyle, brother. He's a legend. That team reflects the student body. There's sons on dudes I went to school with playing now, and the rest is mostly a feedback loop of people following success (ex. forme LC Cougar Mark / son Kolin Sullivan ) . Sure, they have the very best of everything, like Dean pointed out about Euclid before Ronnie started the nation going down the shitter for the middle class. ( Oh my gawd, you can't talk about reagan that way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) But unlike, ahem, some other schools I know , there's no transfres after grade 9 and the only assistance is need based and usually goes to egg head kids who need the money. It's disgusting, but it is mostly the rich kids who can ball.

But TCE has gotten to you Peek. Almosts don't count. Don't compromise.

And I'm done needling you about Pukelit jus to good naturedly bust your balls.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:27 pm

JB wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:State runner up in '78
State runner up in '79
State title in '82,
State final four in '91.

Nahh, we take vow of poverty don't you know.

Being drop dead serious; it's Chuck Kyle, brother. He's a legend. That team reflects the student body. There's sons on dudes I went to school with playing now, and the rest is mostly a feedback loop of people following success (ex. forme LC Cougar Mark / son Kolin Sullivan ) . Sure, they have the very best of everything, like Dean pointed out about Euclid before Ronnie started the nation going down the shitter for the middle class. ( Oh my gawd, you can't talk about reagan that way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) But unlike, ahem, some other schools I know , there's no transfres after grade 9 and the only assistance is need based and usually goes to egg head kids who need the money. It's disgusting, but it is mostly the rich kids who can ball.

But TCE has gotten to you Peek. Almosts don't count. Don't compromise.

And I'm done needling you about Pukelit jus to good naturedly bust your balls.

I know it's ball busting. And you're likely aware there's some latent jealousy in watching Iggy's play UCLA Bruins in football and also branching out to other sports.

Might as well take a few shots and see if I hit something.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby ProgRocker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:34 am

JB wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:

Bill Gutbrod.

Dear God, am I that old???
ProgRocker

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Walking into St. Ed's gym is like walking into Boston Garden & the Forum at the same time.

Makes people wonder if they built the roof out of velvet.

FUDU

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry