Text Size

Sportstime Ohio Feedback & Comments

STO

Use this forum to voice your thoughts on Sportstime Ohio and their lineup of programming. Comments, suggestions, and feedback welcomed and encouraged!

Moderators: peeker643, swerb

STO

Unread postby zips98 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Is it me or does it feel like you're watching a game on good old channel 43 WUAB in 1986 when you watch Sportstime Ohio. I think this channel is awful. Go ahead and compare it with an ESPN game the next time they both have a game on - its a world of difference! Just awful.
zips98

Unread postby tribetalk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:32 pm

Actually no Zip. I love STO; especially STO-HD.
I personally think our broadcasters aren't that great, but the production of the game on STO HD is better than ESPN's in my opinion.

Remember, they have the most camera coverage of Jacobs Field and every other ballpark than any other sports network....

Don't you like it because U of Akron is never on there???
:-) :smile: :) :-) :smile: :)
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:37 pm

just tune in the game with STO HD and flip on WTAM 1100. You got the best of both worlds. Except the post game with Triv.. yikes

I think the scoring box for STO is not as good as some of the other programs, but the coverage of the game is great.
dmcdougal

Unread postby zips98 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Are you guys serious? Now I don't have HD but a co-worker of mine does and he says the picture is just as bad on the STOHD channel. I brought it up at work yesterday and to my surprise, three other guys agreed with me. The quality just isn't there. I don't believe that if you are watching STO and switch to ESPN, you can't see the difference. The graphics are poor and untimely. I flipped to the game the other night and finally turned it because there was NO graphics showing the score or anything. I agree the announcer are poor as well. Of course, it doesn't help that it sounds like they are calling the game in a tunnel or with a towel over their mikes...very muffled sound.
zips98

Unread postby unvme2 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Boy am I glad someone else thinks their (STO) broadcast is Bush League. I mean is that Pat Tabler at the plate or Casey Blake...not sure since it is being filmed with a 1987 RCA should-cam.

If you think STO's broadcast is better than ESPN's in relation to color, sharpness and clarity - you must have thought clear Pepsi was a good idea too.

I find myself watching the Dodgers and Padres b/c I cannot stand how low of a standard STO has set in their broadcasting acumen.
unvme2

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Not no belittle anyone's opinion, but STO has been doing this for about a year now. It takes time to get everything worked out. Stop comparing them to the ESPN feed, which BETTER be an improvement over "local" stations and compare it to WGN or TBS when they carry Cubs/White Sox/Braves games. That is the fair comparison.

Now throw in the little features like the pitch tracker and the slow-motion blown up image of close plays and it is an improving product.

Just give them time. If you aren't watching Tribe games on it because of these issues, that is your choice. To me, it could be black and white in Spanish and I would have it on, just because it is the Indians.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:47 pm

Pup wrote:To me, it could be black and white in Spanish and I would have it on, just because it is the Indians.

Amen!

I see quite a few problems production wise, but they are getting better.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Are you guys serious?

Rack Pup.

Look, STO has some issues....but from what I have seen it continues to improve. But comparing them to ESPN is laughable. Try comparing them to some of the other regional sports networks that broadcast team games, and I assure you, they will come out near the top. Also, it is an improvement over the Indians previous home at FSN.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby unvme2 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:33 pm

No problem, you guys want to throw ESPN out of the mix we can do that and guess what...my opinion still stands.

I have the MLB package and pick up the live local feeds of every team each night they play. I can tell you that I notice not on of the issues related to color, sharpness and clarity as I do with STO. STO is by far the worst and it makes me sick.

Time to ante-up STO and bring a quality product to quality fans.
unvme2

Unread postby dmcdougal » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:02 am

I subscrib to MLBTV and I can say with some degree of confidence that the Dodgers have the best local channel.
dmcdougal

Unread postby tribetalk » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:35 am

I think this color and sharpness etc. can be attributed to your cable outlet or your TV. Whenever I watch STOHD; i get awesome quality with great Digital Dolby Surround Sound. They are still learning so lay off, at least we can see games in HD now, something we couldn't when we were on FSN.

My only complain is our announcers on STO, they aren't good.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:57 am

My only complain is our announcers on STO, they aren't good.

I don't think they even like each other. A lot of dead air, trying to figure out what the other just said, if they are going to continue to talk, etc.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby zips98 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:38 am

I barely remember the FSN Tribe broadcasts. Thats a good thing. That means I don't remember ever saying how awful it was to watch a game on that channel. By the way, I watched the replay of yesterday's game last night when I was out to dinner at a place with HD Plasma tv's. After everyone's comments I paid special attention to the broadcast. It was no better than any other game I've watched at home. I guess we'll agree to disagree. Just a bad picture in my opinion (and that includes comparing it to TBS or WGN).

As far as the announcers - they are bad. Matt Underwood, who I thought I was going to like, is bad. I miss John Saunders.
zips98

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:48 am

zips98 wrote:I miss John Saunders.

You lose all credibility with that comment. :lol:

(JK BTW)
consigliere

Unread postby 7links07 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:28 am

STO HD on Directv has been awesome. A few sound bugs, but the picture is great.
7links07

Unread postby tribefan333 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:04 am

unvme2 wrote:I find myself watching the Dodgers and Padres b/c I cannot stand how low of a standard STO has set in their broadcasting acumen.

Wait. So because the clarity of the Indians station (in your opinion) is below average, you won't watch the games? Not even listen to them? (which I have begun to do every now and then).

ESPN is better, and they should be. Comparing them to ESPN or Fox is a little ignorant, since national and local coverage is different. I always watch the home telecast even if it's on two channels, because I love the announcing when the play-by-play man is actually rooting for a team.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:09 pm

7links07 wrote:STO HD on Directv has been awesome. A few sound bugs, but the picture is great.

That's part of the whole HD beast. Audio syncing is the #1 problem because the audio data is much smaller than the video data. The transmitting station has to use an algorithm that sends the audio data after the video is sent because the audio's size allows it to be played more quickly.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

STO blackout

Unread postby ferrihill » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:13 pm

At least you can get STO, I have DirecTv and can't even get it, it says I am not in the Cleveland area, whatever, maybe someday I can compare it to ESPN or TBS :x :mad: :-x
ferrihill

Re: STO blackout

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:15 pm

ferrihill wrote:At least you can get STO, I have DirecTv and can't even get it, it says I am not in the Cleveland area, whatever, maybe someday I can compare it to ESPN or TBS :x :mad: :-x

I'm near Tampa, FL and have had STO since it started up last year - well, pretty close to startup anyways. DirecTV has not blacked it out down here at all, at least not if you have the sports package and MLB Extra Innings. They often fail to black it out even when the Tribe is on the road and Extra Innings is featuring the away team's broadcast. That means I get the juicy goodness of the home broadcast most of the time. I'm stuck with the D-Rays broadcast whenever the Tribe plays them (their team is pretty good) and I'm stuck whenever the games air on WKYC. That means quite a few of the weekend games come from other sources. That's not bad most of the time. The only truly intolerable away broadcast comes from the White Sox. Shitty is not a strong enough term to describe those rat bastards. Worst. Baseball. Broadcasters. Ever.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:24 pm

tribefan333 wrote:
unvme2 wrote:I find myself watching the Dodgers and Padres b/c I cannot stand how low of a standard STO has set in their broadcasting acumen.

Wait. So because the clarity of the Indians station (in your opinion) is below average, you won't watch the games? Not even listen to them? (which I have begun to do every now and then).

ESPN is better, and they should be. Comparing them to ESPN or Fox is a little ignorant, since national and local coverage is different. I always watch the home telecast even if it's on two channels, because I love the announcing when the play-by-play man is actually rooting for a team.

If you would read one of my more recent posts, I mention I will throw ESPN out of the equation and my thoughts still stand.

With MLB Extra Innings I see all of the other markets and have not noticed the same picture problem as STO.

You guys keep mentioning the audio, but that is the least of my concerns. I want a crisp picture that does not look like it is being played in late November 1984 barely able to read the player names b/c the picture is so lame
unvme2

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 pm

unvme2 wrote:
You guys keep mentioning the audio, but that is the least of my concerns. I want a crisp picture that does not look like it is being played in late November 1984 barely able to read the player names b/c the picture is so lame

You might want to get a new box then. My DirecTV box shows STO and FSN, Comcast, YES, etc all look pretty similar picturewise on their non-HD feeds. I've also seen the broadcasts from other teams and think STO's picture quality is just fine. Looks just as good as ESPN's non-HD feed too. Problem is that DirecTV doesn't pick up all of the STO HD broadcasts whereas ESPN and YES are almost always available in HD.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
unvme2 wrote:
You might want to get a new box then. My DirecTV box shows STO and FSN, Comcast, YES, etc all look pretty similar picturewise on their non-HD feeds. I've also seen the broadcasts from other teams and think STO's picture quality is just fine. Looks just as good as ESPN's non-HD feed too. Problem is that DirecTV doesn't pick up all of the STO HD broadcasts whereas ESPN and YES are almost always available in HD.

The box has nothing to do with it. I have already mentioned at least 2 other times that other local broadcasts do not have the same problem.

It is a 2nd rate production. Time to spend some money on equipment that was made after 1986.
unvme2

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:27 pm

The box has nothing to do with it. I have already mentioned at least 2 other times that other local broadcasts do not have the same problem.

It is a 2nd rate production. Time to spend some money on equipment that was made after 1986.

So everyone else must just be not smart enough to notice the difference? People are on here offering suggestions and counterpoints and you come back sounding like a little kid.

Go to this link, fill out a complaint and be done with it:

http://www.sportstimeohio.com/contact.php

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:30 pm

unvme2 wrote:The box has nothing to do with it. I have already mentioned at least 2 other times that other local broadcasts do not have the same problem.

It does have something to do with it or people like me just don't have the great eyes that you do because we can't see it.

Either that or you hate STO for some reason.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:38 pm

I am not the only one who has noticed this issue and I have already contacted STO - not sure why, but I did.
unvme2

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Pup wrote:

So everyone else must just be not smart enough to notice the difference? People are on here offering suggestions and counterpoints and you come back sounding like a little kid.

Go to this link, fill out a complaint and be done with it:

http://www.sportstimeohio.com/contact.php

Hey Pup I never once questioned how smart you or anyone else is/was on this site - that was you who just did that.

Also what suggestions have people provided - Get a new box? Listen to the radio? Complain to STO only to have it fall on deaf ears? Gee thanks for the help...I'll be sure to come back and seek your help when I try to reinvent the wheel.

Signed
7 year old
unvme2

Unread postby zips98 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:45 pm

Sorry I brought this up yesterday. But it looks like unvme2 took up my case quite well! Honestly it just looks bad guys. And I have stated that I have seen the STO broadcast at locations other than my house and it isn't any better. I have a coworker who agrees with me and he does watch it on HD - and we have different cable providers. It's just an inferior broadcast. I know you guys (the majority who seem to not have a problem with it) understand what we are talking about but you are on the defense like we are trying to rip on the Tribe themselves. We're not. Its just a second rate cable access channel and it is dissapointing. FSN was not this bad at all.
zips98

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:04 pm

I'll second Pups request. Dead horse has been beaten. Anyone who wants to offer up any quality suggestions or some constructive critisicm, feel free to do so.

BTW, Unvme and zips98 are the same person.
consigliere

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:08 pm

Not the same person. Nice try
unvme2

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:11 pm

unvme2 wrote:Not the same person. Nice try

Then why do you two have the exact same IP address?
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:13 pm

The bottom line is, with multiple people taking both sides, some have a complaint about the picture quality, some think it is adequate, some think it is very good. I don't know what to tell you, but how this is STO's fault, I am not sure.

Try pointing the rabbit ears southeast.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Same Internet Provider I guess. I live in North Canton.

It is not STO's "fault", but it is their product. Hopefully changes will come
unvme2

Unread postby zips98 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:37 pm

Sorry dude. Wrong.
zips98

Unread postby 7links07 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:16 pm

unvme2 wrote:
Mr. MacPhisto wrote:
unvme2 wrote:

A brand new HD production facility was created at WKYC to handle the Indians home broadcasts in HD. Jacobs field was wired up with 12 BRAND NEW Sony HD cameras. You can't blame STO for your problems.

Obviously if some people are seeing great quality picture and others are not the problem is not with STO, but with the provider.

Like I said earlier, I have Directv and the games in HD are amazing. The audio stutters at times (not STO fault either), but the picture totally makes up the difference.

The only small issue I have is the graphics and replays need to be a little cleaner in transition. And even that's not that big of a deal.

Thanks STO!
7links07

Unread postby unvme2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:13 pm

I cannot believe how many STO apologists we have here.

I love milkshakes
unvme2

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:44 am

I cannot believe how many STO apologists we have here.

I live out of state and have to watch the games on DirecTV MLB extra innings. As a result, I am subjected to ALL the local networks and I will say that STO is no better or worse than the rest. Actually Hamilton and Manning are pretty good compared to their peers and STO production quality is basically the same quality. Some are better, some are worse, most are about the same.

I will say that STO is much better than the days when I could only watch about 30 games per year on WUAB and I had to listen to the other 130 or so on 1100.

As an interesting aside, you could also hear the Tigers and Blowjays games pretty well on AM.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby 7links07 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:08 am

On a good note, last night's HD broadcast had only 1 audio stutter bug toward the end of the game. Getting better all the time.

To anyone who syncs the radio broadcast to the tv picture... Do you use WTAM or a different station? I tried at the beginning to see if it would line up, but the fm station 104.5 out of wooster was about 2 seconds faster than the tv picture.
7links07

Unread postby zips98 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:17 am

I inquired about the quality of the Indians broadcasts on STO and got this response on Friday 4/27....

Good afternoon,

SportsTime Ohio has had our engineers looking into the quality of our Cleveland Indians telecasts. We have also been working with our cable and satellite affiliates to make sure everything on their end was working properly so that the best picture possible was making it into your home.

We have made some adjustments in the transmission of our signal that went into effect yesterday. Since you were kind enough to give us your opinion before, I would greatly appreciate if you could let us know if the adjustments improved the picture quality, worsened the picture quality or was indifferent and did not affect the picture quality. Also, please reply with the channel number that you watch STO on and how the channels next to us (one channel up and one channel down) look in comparison.

STO appreciates your opinion and input as we strive to provide Indians fans the best broadcast quality possible.

Ed Niemi
Vice President,
Affiliate Relations & Distribution
SportsTime Ohio
25 Prospect, Suite 1700 Republic
Cleveland, OH 44115
216-736-4451 direct
216-736-4414 fax
eniemi@sportstimeohio.com
www.sportstimeohio.com

I watched the game on Friday night and did see a difference - a better picture. So obviously I wasn't wrong in the first place - there was room for improvement. Probably still is.
zips98

STO

Unread postby monty980 » Thu May 03, 2007 3:40 pm

I agree that the STO broadcasts are not top notch. There is a noticeable difference between ESPN and STO. The color is better, the graphics and audio are also much better. I watch the Tribe telecasts in HD on Time Warner. As someone stated before, though, it should be this way. STO HD has about the same quality as my TNT HD. I cannot even watch basketball on TNT. Whenever there is a lot of motion on the screen at one time the picture scrambles up real bad. I noticed STO has the same problem when their graphics come across the screen (which doesn't happen on ESPN). All in all though, I am very happy we at least get the home games in HD. Though the quality is great I can live with it and only hope it gets better.
monty980

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 03, 2007 3:42 pm

Monty, welcome to the boards. And if you need assistance loading the pic under your name ... just email or PM me the pic and I'll take care of it for you.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:37 pm

Not living in NEO, I don't know the particulars. What I can say, from my neighborhood, is there is a tremendous difference between the HD feeds on cable (Time Warner) and DirectTV, with satellite being far superior in most households. Why? No one seems to know, although Time Warner is known for less than stellar service quality here.
mattvan1

STO

Unread postby monty980 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome Swerb. I hope to be on as much as possible, its tough at times with two kids and another coming one in a couple weeks. I may need some help with the profile pic. I have tried to resize it a couple times but I guess it is still to big. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
monty980

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Just shoot me the pic via email or pm. I'll take care of it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Did Underwood just call you guys bloggers?
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby pup » Thu May 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Did Underwood just call you guys bloggers

Yes he did. Maybe he has read our message boards and knows we think he is a hack, so he is mad :lol:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 03, 2007 9:06 pm

Pup wrote:

Yes he did. Maybe he has read our message boards and knows we think he is a hack, so he is mad :lol:

Well, you're better than half of the local media. Nice piece by T today by the way, kind of ironic the news-herald ran a similar piece........ F Underwood

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Dozen wrote:
Pup wrote:

Well, you're better than half of the local media. Nice piece by T today by the way, kind of ironic the news-herald ran a similar piece........ F Underwood

He's out of room and it's out of here! ______ sends one to Souvenir City!

I could have written better home run lines 8 years ago. I'd have been 12 by the way. He's a good sports anchor, but his commentary leaves a lot to be desired. Manning knows his stuff, but he isn't PBP worthy.

Then again, our basis for commentary comparison is Hamilton, who is the best in the bigs.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 03, 2007 10:33 pm

What did Underwood say today? And when?
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 03, 2007 10:36 pm

Something to the effect of tuning into sto.com and reading the bloggers, somewhere between the 6th and 7th innings

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Dozen wrote:Something to the effect of tuning into sto.com and reading the bloggers, somewhere between the 6th and 7th innings

I'll be sure to mention him tomorrow.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Next

Return to Sportstime Ohio Feedback & Comments