Text Size

High School Sports

Glenville

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

Glenville

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:02 pm

http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Re: Glenville

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:37 am

Cool list. Small world as the wife has taught at two schools on the list so I watched them play a lot of football, though it's been awhile. (moved to Ohio in 2000)
1) Euless Trinity
41) Abilene High

We watched a lot of football in Texas. Her current school will never appear in a list like this, but Brian Sipe is the head coach of the football team, so hopefully he stays on long enough for my spawn to play (8th and 6th grade).

Seeing my sons, and knowing their genetics (dad was only D-3 material and not terribly athletic) I don't know if they could have played varsity at those schools so I am glad we've bounced around.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 am

dmiles wrote:Cool list. Small world as the wife has taught at two schools on the list so I watched them play a lot of football, though it's been awhile. (moved to Ohio in 2000)
1) Euless Trinity
41) Abilene High

We watched a lot of football in Texas. Her current school will never appear in a list like this, but Brian Sipe is the head coach of the football team, so hopefully he stays on long enough for my spawn to play (8th and 6th grade).

Seeing my sons, and knowing their genetics (dad was only D-3 material and not terribly athletic) I don't know if they could have played varsity at those schools so I am glad we've bounced around.

Hasn't Sipe won a couple of state championships?
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:18 am

NEOLeo wrote:

Sipe has won several CIF Titles. They are trying to implement a state championship in California but it's not quite there. In this case CIF basically refers San Diego county and perhaps the county bordering AZ. So there is now apparently a limited version of a state championship though I am not sure everyone participates.

Sipe runs a Wing-T which requires a good deal of discipline and I must admit to being fooled at times as to who has the ball. They start the kids playing flag football from 6th to 8th running that offense. My kids both elected to play the school flag teams this year instead of Pop Warner. (Pop Warner seemed a little daddy-ball-ish to me).

One thing Sipe does do is play a very tough schedule. They'll play anyone. Last year we beat (or did we tie?) Helix high which a few years ago had Reggie Bush and Alex Smith as HS teammates. Our 9-12 size is about 400 students. Knowing that, they have to get every able-bodied kid to hopefully play some football. As long as they aren't in some other sport. The Wing-T run correctly is tough to defend if the kids hold their blocks. One nice thing is kids are encouraged to play multiple sports (due to size) which is really hard at the 3000 student schools (you'd better be a stud). So while baseball is where I think my son's talents lie, they both really like football right now. Of course getting knocked on your ass might change that.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:39 am

dmiles wrote:
NEOLeo wrote:

Sipe has won several CIF Titles. They are trying to implement a state championship in California but it's not quite there. In this case CIF basically refers San Diego county and perhaps the county bordering AZ. So there is now apparently a limited version of a state championship though I am not sure everyone participates.

Sipe runs a Wing-T which requires a good deal of discipline and I must admit to being fooled at times as to who has the ball. They start the kids playing flag football from 6th to 8th running that offense. My kids both elected to play the school flag teams this year instead of Pop Warner. (Pop Warner seemed a little daddy-ball-ish to me).

One thing Sipe does do is play a very tough schedule. They'll play anyone. Last year we beat (or did we tie?) Helix high which a few years ago had Reggie Bush and Alex Smith as HS teammates. Our 9-12 size is about 400 students. Knowing that, they have to get every able-bodied kid to hopefully play some football. As long as they aren't in some other sport. The Wing-T run correctly is tough to defend if the kids hold their blocks. One nice thing is kids are encouraged to play multiple sports (due to size) which is really hard at the 3000 student schools (you'd better be a stud). So while baseball is where I think my son's talents lie, they both really like football right now. Of course getting knocked on your ass might change that.

Middle school flag football? To me thats absurd, I started my boy in tackle football at age 6. I cannot imagine throwing a kid in 9th grade to for their 1st contact. The wing-t is the same offense they run in Chardon up here. And their 7u - High School runs the same thing. I actually moved my son to Kirtland this year because the have the same type of program although it isn't the wing-t. I hear what you're saying about "daddy ball" and thats another reason for me switching. Id rather have my son be apart of a program over some idiot who knows nada. The coaches he would have had here in Willoughby are the same type of guys who act like they are reinventing the game. Good luck to your boys.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:53 pm

My best bud here was a D-1 college linebacker, and another kid who plays baseball his old man was a Miami recruit in the later 80's, as a DE/OLB. Neither one let's their kids play tackle. These are big bad ass guys who can still move.

We did the pop warner thing, it was ok, but this flag schedule allows the kids to keep playing baseball and they are still learning something.

I don't begrudge or have anything against tackle, I frankly could care less. If my kids lived for football and wanted to play Pop Warner I'd be behind them 100%.

One more thing I'll pass along was that in my case I quit playing after 9th grade, and one of the reasons was I was just kind of smallish in Jr. High football. I started and played a lot but was nothing special and felt like puss (little free safety). 9th grade started to grow a little, played QB/OLB but got my tail kicked at QB due to a tiny line where I'd get smacked hard on a simple 32 dive. So I stopped playing after getting my bell rung all season long, and had they just killed the freshmen team and made us play JV we'd have been better off.. When you are that age, what nobody really knew was that a lot of the "bad ass" kids in 7th-8th-9th grade are simply early developers. Now for some sports being small was fine, basketball I was simply a PG, and baseball P/SS/CF. It's just that I did that stuff as a 6-footer once I shot up. Football, on the other hand where it's pure Jr. High, no weight class, I got spanked around in practice. So I had no idea that a lot of the bad-ass kids who were 5-8 with hair on their face would stay that way. So I kind of regret that and thus I don't want my kids to hate football at this age when they are late to the puberty party. My 14 is finally starting to grow and is bigger in 8th than I was in 9th (momma 5-10), so I think as they really get serious next year about hitting, he'll finally be developing.

It's amazing in baseball which is what I spend most of my time with, how kids who look studly at 12 fade away at 14-15, and my guess is many of the bad-ass pop warner kids are just kids maturing early. So my point is that my kids might actually stick it out more in HS, by not getting pushed as much right now.

Then again he might get smacked next year and say not for me. Do you guys play by weight?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:11 am

Theres exceptions to everything..........................worlds to big to think otherwise.............for my son it's tackle or a fuckin skirt

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Return to High School Sports