Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Hot Sauces

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Hot Sauces

Unread postby swerb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:41 am

I love spicy food. A couple bottles of hot sauce are a mainstay in my fridge at all times. One is always Tabasco. I've tried a lot of different hot sauces, seems like I don't consistently like any of them better than 'ole reliable.

For the first time this week, bought and tried the Habanero Tabsasco. Very good. Very hot. Grilled out some chicken breasts and made some white rice, and man did it liven that meal up.

Very good for those who have yet to try it.

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Hot Sauces

Unread postby waborat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:57 am

We've probably got 12-15 sauces on hand at all times...Tabasco's good, but I'll take Frank's over it as my favorite mainstream sauce

If you like BBQ, rubs, sauces etc then make sure you head out to Chili's Fire Pit in Mentor...a great guy and store that has it all!!!!
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:58 am

Where ya at, Bayou??
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am

waborat wrote:We've probably got 12-15 sauces on hand at all times...Tabasco's good, but I'll take Frank's over it as my favorite mainstream sauce

If you like BBQ, rubs, sauces etc then make sure you head out to Chili's Fire Pit in Mentor...a great guy and store that has it all!!!!

I agree with Wabs. The Franks's has been a staple in my fridge, on my wings, in sauces, dips, etc since I was at BGSU.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:43 am

Anyone use Crystal hot sauce? Marc's is usually the only place that I know carries it. To me, it's a vital ingredient in any wing sauce I make.

"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:05 pm

I don't find alot of dif between high price and the Franks & Trappy's of the world for a traditional cayanne sauce.

If Frank's was good enough for Peter J. Franklin, it's good enough for me.

I dig the chipotle flavored Tobasco brand, as well.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:06 pm

I've found the Tabasco Jalepeno to be a very nice compliment to Chipotle burritos (a.k.a. 1000-calorie Heroin).
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:24 pm

waborat wrote:We've probably got 12-15 sauces on hand at all times...Tabasco's good, but I'll take Frank's over it as my favorite mainstream sauce

Chili's Fire Pit is the ONLY place I go to get my sauces and Rubs. His signature "pit rub" is very good, along with "sweet as hell" and "cinders". Nando's Chickenland also has a great Peri pepper shaker, but they stopped making it.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby waborat » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:37 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:

Chili's Fire Pit is the ONLY place I go to get my sauces and Rubs. His signature "pit rub" is very good, along with "sweet as hell" and "cinders". Nando's Chickenland also has a great Peri pepper shaker, but they stopped making it.

Yep, Chili Don is the man! It's great that you get to try most of his stuff before buying...

I agree that his Pit Rub is awesome (and doesn't include salt) and the Cinders, Ashes & Fire Dust line is also topnotch
waborat

Unread postby dem425 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Although the packaging looks Asian (it's actually produced in the U.S.) you may want to try SRIRACHA "HOT" Chili Sauce.

It comes in a clear,plastic bottle (the sauce is red) and it has a bright green top/pourer spout. Cost about $2.50 (for 17 oz)

I work in Chinatown and find it at any Asian store. Taste does not over power the food, but there is enough heat to have you wipin' your ass with a sno-cone for weeks..............

Uncle Emeril
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby GreatGoo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 am

Texas pete and chipotle tab
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby waborat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:59 am

dem425 wrote:Although the packaging looks Asian (it's actually produced in the U.S.) you may want to try SRIRACHA "HOT" Chili Sauce.

It comes in a clear,plastic bottle (the sauce is red) and it has a bright green top/pourer spout. Cost about $2.50 (for 17 oz)

I work in Chinatown and find it at any Asian store. Taste does not over power the food, but there is enough heat to have you wipin' your ass with a sno-cone for weeks..............

Uncle Emeril

Sriracha is a staple in my fridge...our local chinese take out sells it for 2 bills...highly recommended
waborat

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:33 am

Frank's Xtra Hot. Better than Tobasco.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby swerb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 am

I've had Franks in the rotation the last five years or so. Would normally rotate between that and Tabasco. After a while I realized I liked Tabasco better.

Gotta try the Chipotle Tabasco, and the Siriacha. And get to the Fire Pit.

A lot of good suggestions in here, keep em coming fellas. Beauty of the internet is that you can order all this stuff online now instead of going out and hunting for it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:48 am

Swerb wrote:I've had Franks in the rotation the last five years or so. Would normally rotate between that and Tabasco. After a while I realized I liked Tabasco better.

A lot of good suggestions in here, keep em coming fellas. Beauty of the internet is that you can order all this stuff online now instead of going out and hunting for it.

Not a chili hot sauce, but you ever roll with Pick-a-Peppa ?
jb

Unread postby swerb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:23 am

JB wrote:
Swerb wrote:I've had Franks in the rotation the last five years or so. Would normally rotate between that and Tabasco. After a while I realized I liked Tabasco better.

Never

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:04 pm

JB wrote:

Is that the Jamaican sauce with the scotch bonnets?
waborat

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:24 pm

I usually keep a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce in the fridge, and if we are boiling seafood or frying seafood that's what we're using 90% of the time. Crystal is pretty good too though. And then I've got some local stuff from back home that some old timer makes in his kitchen and sells out of a local country store.

But the majority of the time, I'm going with....

Also, this is a must....
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby swerb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Was waiting for Bayou's reply.

You buy that stuff in stores up here, or will I need to order it online?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Not sure on either one, but if you can't find it online just email me your address and I'll get it to you. Pretty sure you can't get Tony's everywhere, we used to pack some when we went on vacation. You can put that on anything. :lol:

Same for the local hot sauce we have down here, if you want a bottle let me know and I can pick up some next time I get back home.

ETA -- http://www.brucefoods.com/mystOre/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

http://www.cajunspice.com/seasoning/

Haven't tried the 'more spice' seasoning blend yet, but the original is where it's at. Also, their marinades are pretty good for fried turkeys, etc.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby jb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:41 pm

waborat wrote:
JB wrote:

jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:43 pm

Swerb wrote:Was waiting for Bayou's reply.

You buy that stuff in stores up here, or will I need to order it online?

I've seen both up here.

That GE in Twinsburg has alot of good stuff, but any big Heinan's has really interesting spices and sauces.
jb

Unread postby waborat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:13 pm

JB wrote:
waborat wrote:
JB wrote:

Yep that's it...I bought some of that on our honeymoon almost 20 years ago...from what I remember that was some good chit
waborat

Unread postby The Brook » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:06 pm

Tapatio- not the hottest sauce, but hot enough. Goes well with almost anything and is really cheap.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Tried the Tabasco Chipotle for the first time last night on some fajitas. Very good stuff.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby GreatGoo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Swerb wrote:Tried the Tabasco Chipotle for the first time last night on some fajitas. Very good stuff.

Swerb - put that Tabasco Chipotle on a Chipotle burritto and let time slip away.
"If sport is to have any value at all, the road traveled, even when it leads to a dead end, should always be a trip worth taking. Without the pain, the champagne, when it finally flows, will have no taste."
GreatGoo
Awaiting First Championship

Favorite Player: TBD
Least Favorite Player: Larry Hughes

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:59 pm

greatgoo wrote:
Swerb wrote:Tried the Tabasco Chipotle for the first time last night on some fajitas. Very good stuff.

Swerb - put that Tabasco Chipotle on a Chipotle burritto and let time slip away.

Too hooked on the Chipotle homemade super hot sauce to make that switch.

LOVE that stuff.

So good with a bag of those homemade chips, especially when you get a real salty batch.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Swerb wrote:
greatgoo wrote:

Too hooked on the Chipotle homemade super hot sauce to make that switch.

LOVE that stuff.

So good with a bag of those homemade chips, especially when you get a real salty batch.

Don't EVER look at the nutritional facts for a bag of Chipotle tortilla chips.
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry