Text Size

TheClevelandFan.com Feedback, Suggestions, Questions

Upgrade To Board

Fire away! Your feedback is encouraged, and Swerb will address all questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns in here.

Moderators: The Tribe Zone, peeker643, swerb

How Much Do You Like The New Upgrade?

Love it!
38%
It's okay
29%
Hate it!
19%
Have not decided
14%

Total votes : 21

Upgrade To Board

Unread postby Destiny » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:47 pm

This new upgrade looks awesome, takes some getting use to but I like it. The smilies seem pretty cool too. :thumleft:
Last edited by Destiny on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The longer I live the more I believe. You do have to give if you wanna recieve
There's a time to listen, a time to talk, And you might have to crawl even after you walk
Had sure things blow up in my face, Seen the longshot, win the race
Been knocked down by the slamming door, Picked myself up and came back for more

Life's a dance you learn as you go, Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow
Don't worry about what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go.
Destiny

Favorite Player: Tribe
Least Favorite Player: Yankees/Red Sox

Re: Upgrade To Board

Unread postby The Brook » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:51 pm

To be completely honest. I think its horrible. I'll give myself a few weeks to see if I like it, otherwise time to find a new board. I feel like I'm in Kindergarden looking at the new colors and stuff. Bad move in my humble opinion.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:12 pm

The Brook wrote:To be completely honest. I think its horrible. I'll give myself a few weeks to see if I like it, otherwise time to find a new board. I feel like I'm in Kindergarden looking at the new colors and stuff. Bad move in my humble opinion.

You remember that critical phpbb error that wouldn't let anyone on the boards? Yeah? Well, the board upgrade was completely necessary.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby The Brook » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
The Brook wrote:To be completely honest. I think its horrible. I'll give myself a few weeks to see if I like it, otherwise time to find a new board. I feel like I'm in Kindergarden looking at the new colors and stuff. Bad move in my humble opinion.

You remember that critical phpbb error that wouldn't let anyone on the boards? Yeah? Well, the board upgrade was completely necessary.

No I don't remember that critical phpbb error, and I don't even know what phpbb means. I guess I should have left out my last line "Bad move in my humble opinion", however I thought this was a thread for people to give their opinions on the upgrade so that is what I did. Sorry.
The Brook
carnitas, math & bucky

Favorite Player: Joe Carter
Least Favorite Player: 97 Marlins roster

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:50 pm

The Brook wrote:
Skating Tripods wrote:

No I don't remember that critical phpbb error, and I don't even know what phpbb means. I guess I should have left out my last line "Bad move in my humble opinion", however I thought this was a thread for people to give their opinions on the upgrade so that is what I did. Sorry.

I'm just telling you why it was done.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:

Actually it wasnt the older version that did those. On ours we get a msyql error like this one did. To think that problem is now gone.....well it's just not. And I love the new version although you need a degree to navigate the admin panel. Again, just a heads up since we've had the exact version up since last January, you will still experience issues. Swerb, I have links to all the patches if needed.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Spin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:05 pm

This sucks. I use "View new posts" to see what's new, and this version doesn't tell you what forum it's from (Cleveland Indians and MLB, etc).

I think the colors are hard to read, no contrast.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Spin wrote:This sucks. I use "View new posts" to see what's new, and this version doesn't tell you what forum it's from (Cleveland Indians and MLB, etc).

I think the colors are hard to read, no contrast.

Give em some time, there is so many tweaks and things you can do. And like I said, as an admin the panel is vastly different. We havn't mastered it yet. If history repeats, Swerb will please the peeps. Just give the cat some time to take it all in.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 pm

The look is not bad, but it will take some time for me to get used to. I thought I was on crack when I first checked ot out. :shaking2: :shaking2:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Just my two cents in no particular order:

- I liked the way each forum had it's own coloring scheme that matched the team in question. This color scheme does not exacxtly get me in a sporting frame of mind.

- I like the user, avatar, etc. on the left-hand side. You have to look to the right to see who authored the post then go back to the left to read.

- Clicking the back button generates the 'this page has expired' error. I used to click back a lot. I understand the programming and how this is unavoidable.

- It is a tad difficult to distinguish the seperation between the posts.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:17 am

BDFD wrote:Just my two cents in no particular order:

- I liked the way each forum had it's own coloring scheme that matched the team in question. This color scheme does not exacxtly get me in a sporting frame of mind.

- I like the user, avatar, etc. on the left-hand side. You have to look to the right to see who authored the post then go back to the left to read.

- Clicking the back button generates the 'this page has expired' error. I used to click back a lot. I understand the programming and how this is unavoidable.

- It is a tad difficult to distinguish the seperation between the posts.

Great feedback. I agree on all counts. I am in the process of trying to make all these changes.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:28 am

Links redirect you away from the site as well rather in a new window. Is that a site function or can it be changed on my user control panel. If it can, I missed it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:08 am

No Browns on Sunday....looks like we know what Swerb will be doing. ;-) ;) :wink:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:04 pm

Swerb, I've noticed when quoteing to reply on a topic it wont let you submit with 3 or more quotes within the reply. It's not a big deal but when threads go off topic and you want to respond to a comment within the thread it may become confusing. Again, no biggie just pointing it out since it was something I changed in the settings on my board.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the awesome feedback. Should see some cool improvements/enhancements coming soon.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Logo looks nice

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:06 am

You Tube imbed button added back. Background for posts switched to white/blue to give better separation between posts. Logo added. More changes coming ...

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:35 pm

The board colors remind me of a 330 pound Shawn Kemp waddling up and down the court at the Gund in those pajama-lookin uniforms.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:46 am

I don't like the "ragged left" based on the size of each person's avatar. Pick a fixed width: either the widest avatar in the thread, or a fixed width and chop people's avatars for being too damned big. But the content of the posts should line up, not wander back and forth.

I do greatly prefer the avatars on the left, so that's good, thanks.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I don't like the "ragged left" based on the size of each person's avatar. Pick a fixed width: either the widest avatar in the thread, or a fixed width and chop people's avatars for being too damned big. But the content of the posts should line up, not wander back and forth.

Buff, I agree, and we are fixing that. Still more enhancements/tweaks to come. Prolly bout halfway there. :cheers:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Swerb wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:I don't like the "ragged left" based on the size of each person's avatar. Pick a fixed width: either the widest avatar in the thread, or a fixed width and chop people's avatars for being too damned big. But the content of the posts should line up, not wander back and forth.

Buff, I agree, and we are fixing that. Still more enhancements/tweaks to come. Prolly bout halfway there. :cheers:

Swerb, these new admin panels may require a degree. Isnt it crazy the difference from the older version? :gah:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:14 pm

Dozen wrote:
Swerb wrote:

Swerb, these new admin panels may require a degree. Isnt it crazy the difference from the older version? :gah:

Hell if I know. I took a look at it and my head almost exploded.

I subcontracted out The Tribe Zone.

I reccommend his work highly. :thumleft:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Thanks for the recomendation Rich!! :yessss:

It is alot of files to wade thru Dozen....I applaud anyone who tries to run a site and code it also...its way too much! :gah:

Which is why I went to SMF for a forum...very comparable to PHPBB, mods are just a couple clicks. Gives me alittle time for other things..... :woot:

Thanks again Rich!
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Favorite Player: Mattingly
Least Favorite Player: Canseco

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:53 pm

I am hoping the look and feel of the forum is/will change the voting results there are so far.... ;-) ;) :wink:

I wanted to add the video box in the posting section will play most all videos from the bigger video sites that hosts them...

YouTube, Google, MySpace, and so on....from memory it was 20-30 sites altogether......

:yessss: <----one of my fav's
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."Holy Shit, what a f'in ride!"
The Tribe Zone

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:15 pm

I actually activated some option where, if you already voted, it allows you to change your vote if your mind has changed.

A lot of cool new features in this upgrade.

I've gone from terrified, to hesitant, to somewhat pleased, to elated.

:spar:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 pm

can we change to the same skin as in the "no hold's barred" forum? Alot easier on the eyes

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:12 pm

can we change to the same skin as in the "no hold's barred" forum? Alot easier on the eyes

I was getting in this thread to say the same thing. The look of that forum right now is awesome.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:

I was getting in this thread to say the same thing. The look of that forum right now is awesome.

Hate it.

All black? Hurts to look at.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:

Hate it.

All black? Hurts to look at.

Thats why it's an "option" :cheers: (or atleast should be)

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Dozen wrote:

How do I change it?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:21 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Dozen wrote:

How do I change it?

My bad, they must have it set as the default. It the admin panel they can make it a "user option" then you would go into your user control panel and it would be under "board preferences". But an admin must change it in order for this to take place.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Dozen wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
Dozen wrote:

How do I change it?

My bad, they must have it set as the default. It the admin panel they can make it a "user option" then you would go into your user control panel and it would be under "board preferences". But an admin must change it in order for this to take place.

Then I'm back to hating it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:33 pm

fair enough :thumb up:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:51 pm

We're just playin. Not keeping that black. NHB will have a black theme, but I like all the boards with a light base. That all black is just too much IMO.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm

Meanwhile, I informed Rich we have the ability to add custom fields in the Profiles.

After reading the code for the view topic file, where it says change FIELD1 to the name of the custom field, I did that.....9-10 times. No matter how I entered it, it didn't work.

Finally, having dealt with phpbb for a long time, I figured there's a setting somewhere. This used to be an add-on....now its hard-coded into the core files.

So Yeah, there was.....somewhere, a setting......I finally found it......the dumbasses defaulted it to show as NO. :eek :shock:

If you look at mine on the left, you will see an addition to it now....which you have to fill in at your own Control Panels......Favorite and Least Favorite Players....
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

The Tribe Zone

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:12 pm

The inconsistencies between bolds and sizes of text on different boards is driving me nuts....

Just sayin'
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby The Tribe Zone » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Swerb wrote:We're just playin. Not keeping that black. NHB will have a black theme, but I like all the boards with a light base. That all black is just too much IMO.

And that's my bad.....I threw it up there instead of previewing it....Just had too many windows open and was rushing things...

We'll get it likeable...... ;-) ;) :wink:
SMF Tribe

Testing a new toy

The Tribe Zone

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:34 pm

It's cool, the only weird thing I swear every time I come on there is something different. The hardest thing for me is the new location of the "quote" button. I'm used to it being up top, but as long as it stays at the bottom of the post I'll adapt.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby fundamentals » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:20 am

I really like the logos being used for the forums. :clap:
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 am

fundamentals wrote:I really like the logos being used for the forums. :clap:

agree, make sure you have permission though.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:47 pm

any chance to have the soccer ball pic replaced by something more fitting like a woman?

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Return to TheClevelandFan.com Feedback, Suggestions, Questions