Text Size

The Rumble Room

Lamon Brewster Fighting in Cleveland April 1

Talk boxing, wrestling, UFC, and other mixed martial arts fighting here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, fightdr

Lamon Brewster Fighting in Cleveland April 1

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:34 pm

At the Wolstein Center (formerly Convocation Center) three weeks from Sunday.

Showtime is televising the fight. Brewster has managed to rise to one of the top heavyweight contenders after a couple bad losses 4-5 years ago.

2 of his last 4 wins were against Wladimir Klitchsko and Andrew Golota. I remember the Klitschko fight, I think it's the only time I've seen him fight.

He's fighting some big 22-1 Russian named Sergei Lyahovich who hasn't fought in over a year after beating Dominick Guinn, who lost to James Toney back in October.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby The Ko King » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:05 pm

Brewster may be the best all around heavy today. I saw him fight Clifford Entienne several years ago in Pittsburgh, it was a great fight, they beat the living shit out of each other. His other loss was to Charles Shufford, in a fight where he was totally outboxed, and was off his game. Lyakhovic, I don't know much about. He did beat Guinn, but Guinn was nothing special in the first place, and his only loss was to Maurice Harris, who knocked him out late in their fight. Harris wasn't known as a big puncher, if he took Lyakhovic out, Brewster can too. If Klitchko beats Byrd, look for him to fight Brewster in a unification fight.
The Ko King
Boxing Guru

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:41 pm

Final 4 weekend
I think I'll watch that

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:42 pm

Final 4 is Saturday. Championship game Monday. Fight is Sunday.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 am

April 1st is a Saturday

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:02 am

April 1 (Saturday), 2006
At The Wolstein Center, Cleveland, OH
NEW (Showtime) Lamon Brewster (33-2) vs. Sergei Liakhovich (22-1)
(The Ring Magazine #4 Heavyweight vs. Unranked)
(WBO Heavyweight belt)

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:59 am

Like I said. Saturday.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby The Ko King » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 pm

A big time fight right in your backyard and you guy's aren't going? Shame on the both of you. :D
The Ko King
Boxing Guru

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:05 pm

Hell no
Final 4 is a little better
You can do the recap on that dud of a fight

Unread postby The Ko King » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:43 pm

Sure, I can do the recap now. "I got shitfaced watching my Mountaineers advance to the championship game, and since I am too lazy to drive 160 miles for some Don King ripoff card, oh yeah, Brewster knocked out this Russian bozo King dug up to stage a championship bout, the dude got Pittsnogled, and I need another beer". That ought to sum it up nicely. Christ, they hadn't even announced the undercard as of this morning, it's nice to see semi big time boxing within driving distance, but King won't in my opinion put much effort into putting on a decent show. The Final Four it is.
The Ko King
Boxing Guru

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:23 pm

Recap sounds just like I thought it might.
King is screwing over the golden Gloves, go figure
That event is held here every year, at the same time and that asshole decides to have fight card the same day.
F Him and his crappy card

Unread postby swerb » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:21 am

Great fight. So much for the Final Four taking the spotlight. Both Final Four games sucked, and this was a great fight. The heavyweight division, amazingly, is even more jumbled and confusing with Liakhovich's upset win over Brewster.

Liakhovich's corner was very good all night, and did a much better job than McGirt did for Brewster. McGirt should have been pressing Brewster every round to keep going to Liakhovich's body, and also never let Lamon know he needed to win those late rounds to have a chance. Liakhovich's corner did a good job steering him to a win by demanding that he not get too overzealous in trying to end it with one punch against such a big puncher ... who he had beat on the cards from about round 8 on.

Both guys get hit too much, but have good chins. Would much rather see either of these guys fight than guys like Toney, Rahman, Byrd, et al. I think both deserve mention right now when talking about the top 6-7 heavys.

Entertaining fight betweem two big, active punchers.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby The Ko King » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:44 pm

This was unexpected, but a damned good fight. Brewster generally is in good fights, this was the best one since he fought Clifford Entienne years ago.

Liakhovich is still a raw fighter, he should only get better. His corner gave great advice, but he still held his left way too low. He was wide open for the overhand right, and Brewster hit him and hurt him with that punch a few times. A funny thing happened though, about the 9th round, Liakhovich got nailed with the overhand, and walked right through it, as Brewster lost some steam on his attack.

Liakhovich reminds me some of Golota, both have a good jab, both work the body well, the difference is Liakhovich isn't a fucking nutcase that quits at the first sign of trouble, and it would have been easy to pack it in given some of the punishment he got last night. he kept right on coming back for more.

Brewster will be back as well. He looked a bit out of shape, which was a mistake. He's still one of the best heavies active, and deserves another shot before Lardass Toney, imo. Both guys seemed receptive to a rematch, King maybe not so much.
I would love to see it again, it makes sense, the division needs more of these type of fights.
The Ko King
Boxing Guru

Return to The Rumble Room