Text Size

The 19th Hole

Ryder Cup Action

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Ryder Cup Action

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:27 pm

US jumps out to a 3-1 lead after morning matches.

Fall behind in 3 of the 4 afternoon only to charge hard late to make things interesting on the back 9.

Mickelson and Kim AS thru 15 after being down 2 to Harrington/McDowell

Stricker and Curtis 2dn to Rose/Pulter thru 13 (mostly because Curtis has simply not shown up. Stricker is playing out of his mind just to keep it relatively close)

Leonard/Mahan 2up on Garcia/Jiminez thru 12. Leonard is solid.

Weekley and Holmes AS w/Hanson & Westwood. They were down 2 then stormed back. And Weekley is really getting under Westwood's skin.

Both Holmes and Weekley are Ryder Cup rooks playing together. And Kim is really getting Phil into the event too. Interesting pairings by Azinger.

Edit: Rose/Poulter now 3 up w/4 to play.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Mickelson hits a 25 footer with two breaks to give Mickelson/Kim a 1up thru 17.

Weekely hits an even longer 45 footer w/two breaks to give his group a 1up thru 12. He pumps up the crowd as Westwood shoots daggers before missing his putt to halve the hole.

Curtis misses a 5 footer to win the hole on 15 and they are 3dn and about to be closed out.

Mahan hits a 15 footer to put he and Leonard up 3 through 13.

Great golf.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:16 pm

The Leonard/Mahan duo looks unstoppable right now.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:17 pm

mikebrownz26 wrote:The Leonard/Mahan duo looks unstoppable right now.

It's also great to watch Mickelson drop the stoicism and go with some enthusiasm. I think Kim brought it out of him today.

Be surprised as hell if Curtis is out there tomorrow unless Azinger inspires him with an offer of redemption.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 pm

5 1/2 to 2 1/2 US lead after Day 1. Huge day and excellent viewing.

Weekley and Holmes scratched out a 1/2 point in the final match of the day. Coulda been a huge day with a 4 point lead but both of them found water off the tee on 18.

8am Saturday morning on NBC if interested.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SteveR » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:19 pm

Wonder if Lee Westwoods (flown in english chef) was as pissed off as Westwood was when Weekley was whooping it up eating crackers & cheese..having a good time ( even while rinsing his ball on the 18th)
I never heard of anyone flying in an "English Chef" as I am not sure what english food is.
But I guess Westwood does..

Great games all too watch.

I'm really getting into the ryder cup this year..great personalities & talent---- Kim ,Weekley Mahan & Holmes..
Not just your usual Cink Mickelson Furyk funeral directors.
SteveR

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Justin Leonard = $$$$$

Cink & Campbell apparently missed this morning's wake-up call.

Furyk and Perry 3up with 4 to play.

Need Mickelson and Kim (1 down) to battle back. 3-1 this morning would be quite huge.

Edit- Leonard couldn't do it all. Halved.

Mickelson and Kim shit themselves for the last 12 holes and lost their match..

Go from potentially winning 3/4 to hoping to hang on to 1 1/2 points in the morning.

Stricker and Curtis get another chance vs. Garcia/Casey

Weekley and Holmes vs. Westwood/Hanson

Peery & Furyk vs. Poulter/McDowell

Mickelson and Mahan vs. Stenson/Karllson

Not sure why Azinger would sit down Leonard right now. The guy is playing great golf.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:00 pm

The Weekly/Holmes - Westwood/Hansen match is great TV. How awesome would it be to see Boo freaking Weekly make the putt that wins the Ryder Cup tomorrow?

The Curtis/Stricker - Garcia/Casey match looks like its going down to the wire as well.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby SteveR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:34 pm

Well if Weekley is the guy who sinks the winning put for the Cup
would it be his 10 th best shot career wise?.

When asked where his 143-yard bunker shot to a foot on 15 ranks among the best shots of his career, Boo Weekley said, "I'd have to rank that No. 9. I done have eight holes-in-one, so that one's No. 9."

Edited it to add Boo's the best

BooYa !
SteveR

Unread postby SteveR » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:49 pm

I actually like Lee Westwood..but I cant think of any more contradictory types of folks..They should've had 4's between Weekley & Holmes vs Garcia & Westwood( instead of hansen)
and watch the fur fly

I really hope its Weekley & Garcia tomorrow

Dream matchup for future tv
Monte & Westwood Vs Boo & Bubba Watson
SteveR

Unread postby pup » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:40 pm

From the Tiger injury thread, a few months back...

Pup wrote:
mikebrownz26 wrote:BTW you can all but chalk up another Ryder Cup victory for the Euros now.

Unless Tiger is such a dick to his teammates that they play worse with him there. Could be an interesting debate, should the Americans play well.

Hmmmmmm
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:12 am

Pup wrote:From the Tiger injury thread, a few months back...

Pup wrote:
mikebrownz26 wrote:BTW you can all but chalk up another Ryder Cup victory for the Euros now.

Unless Tiger is such a dick to his teammates that they play worse with him there. Could be an interesting debate, should the Americans play well.

Hmmmmmm

My foot is getting pretty close to my mouth....
mikebrownz26

Unread postby brooks1957 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:02 am

All I know is I NEVER want to hear from the stiff assed Euros how we "behaved badly" after Brookline in 99. Do you see Sergio and Poulter yesterday? It's called emotion - both squads play with it. You choked at Brookline - don't blame us if you failed to take care of your own business. And stick that "ole, Ole" you know where. Talk about "behaving badly?" On our turf? Just STFU already
brooks1957

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Anthony Kim is going all 'Fausto Carmona' on Sergio right now.
mikebrownz26

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Jesus.

What a putt from Mayhan to ensure a 1/2 point and go 1up with one to play.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby idoctribefan » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:46 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:56 pm

Didn't see any of the action Friday.

Last two days have been enthralling.

JB Holmes is about to win us the cup here on 17.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:31 pm

Furyk did the honors. But how 'bout Weekley, Holme, Mahan and Kim.

Kim just dismembered Sergio to set the tone and Weekley and Holmes were incredible. Mahan had a tough draw and getting a half there was huge.

Great, great golf all weekend.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Ole, ole, ole ... ole!

Zinger. Effin Zinger.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby DarNoor » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 am

A few thoughts after watching the Ryder Cup:

Zinger would make a great coach in any sport

Kim is going to be a superstar

Boo is John Daly with talent. What i mean by that is, Boo has the love from the fans, but also has the game to go with it.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby swerb » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 am

Gotta love Zinger. Loved him as a player. Love him as an analyst. And as a Ryder Cup captain ... he's the best I've seen lead the USA.

Really enjoyed Anthony Kim have his coming out party to cap a great season. Seeing him ball bat Sergio was excellent TV. He was so locked in, he didn't even know he won once he clinched on 14.

Weekley and the Kentucky boys (Perry/Holmes) were essential to the win. They all played well and got the crowd in a frenzy. Seeing Boo ride his driver like a buck em bronco, running down the 1st fairway after his initial tee shot yesterday afternoon was excellent.

If you're a golf fan, short of Sunday at Augusta, it just doesn't get any better than that.

Really enjoyed watching it this weekend, especially given yesterday's disaster in Baltimore.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 pm

One of the fun things I've mentioned that I do is to be a walking scorer for the Greenboro PGA tournament (The Wyndam, as it's now called).

Two years ago I walked with Zinger, and out of all of the "major" players I've been close to, like Pavin, Micheel, Cink, Janzen, Mark Brooks (asshole), and Jerry Kelly, Zinger impressed me the most with how friendly and down to Earth he was, despite his accomplishments.

What struck me most was that most players take a second to introduce themselves to the scorer and standard bearer before the round begins.

Zinger didn't.

But before the second hole, he sought both of us out, apoligizing profusely about the oversight. I mean, the man was truly bothered by the fact that he was too caught up in other things to do that courtesy, and he made up for the rest of the way, chatting with us the entire time.

All in all, it might be my best memory from my time helping out on the tournament.

As far as the Ryder Cup goes...this was so much fun to watch. As I missed so much of it on Sunday due to my business trip...I'm looking forward to seeing it on Tivo when I get back home.

Pretty classic match. Gotta say, I was still impressed with the Euros, and came out of this with new found respect for Ian Poulter. A controversial pick from Faldo...he simply dominated. And that look he had after his round on Saturday was an absolute classic.

How much fun will it be in a future US Open to see him and Anthony Kim in the final group on Sunday?

OTOH...out of all the Euros, I always thought Lee Westwood was a whiny little bitch...and he certainly showed it this weekend.

Do you hear Sergio or Padraig crying about the crowds (as they know how they act when we play in Europe)?

No.

But Lee blubbered all weekend.

I was almost hoping that Boo would spit chewing tobbacco on him after the round.

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:34 pm

Because of work, I was only able to catch a few hours of the Cup this weekend...mostly the last hour or two of each day's coverage. I was impressed with both teams' approach shots each evening. Under all that pressure, I couldn't believe how those guys were stickin it right near the pins. Is Valhalla an easy course or something?

Great for American golf.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Return to The 19th Hole