Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

McCormack & Schmicks

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

McCormack & Schmicks

Unread postby swerb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 pm

Went there for the first time tonight. Seafood place next door to Maggiano's in Beachwood Place.

Amazing. Really, really good seafood. Great service, great atmosphere, loaded wine list. Like 10 different types of fresh fish, and 3-4 specials that sounded great.

I'm such a big fan of Mitchell's on Chagrin, I've always gone there when I have the itch for seafood. Was really impressed with this joint though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Speaking of great food in that area.....Flemings steakhouse is the best
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:38 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Speaking of great food in that area.....Flemings steakhouse is the best

One of my favorites. So many great restaraunts in that area. Just took a new job, and that is one thing I will miss about my old office on Chagrin. Great, great restaraunts everywhere.

Giovannis, Mitchells, Flemings, Changs, Bahama Breeze, Abuelos, Ricky Ly's, Corky & Lennys, Hyde Park, Moxies, Red ....
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Re: McCormack & Schmicks

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:21 am

Swerb wrote:Went there for the first time tonight. Seafood place next door to Maggiano's in Beachwood Place.

Amazing. Really, really good seafood. Great service, great atmosphere, loaded wine list. Like 10 different types of fresh fish, and 3-4 specials that sounded great.

I'm such a big fan of Mitchell's on Chagrin, I've always gone there when I have the itch for seafood. Was really impressed with this joint though.

Rich: Was excited when M&S opened a restaurant down here in the Dayton area as I had heard good things. We went shortly after it opened. Food was average-at-best; service was awful (we waited over an hour for our food, and Crissy had to send her salad back TWICE because they kept putting Bleu Cheese on it). Our 3-hour experience was so bad, we ended up with a $50 gift certificate, which we gave to our neighbors as we had no desire to go back...even for basically a free meal. They went a couple weeks later and had a poor experience as well. Perhaps it was too early in the game or the mgt at this one sucks, but they blew their opportunity to make a good first impression on me. Now the Fish Market in C-Bus on-the-other-hand...Yum!
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby swerb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 am

Hi Oktane wrote:
Swerb wrote:Went there for the first time tonight. Seafood place next door to Maggiano's in Beachwood Place.

Rich: Was excited when M&S opened a restaurant down here in the Dayton area as I had heard good things. We went shortly after it opened. Food was average-at-best; service was awful (we waited over an hour for our food, and Crissy had to send her salad back TWICE because they kept putting Bleu Cheese on it). Our 3-hour experience was so bad, we ended up with a $50 gift certificate, which we gave to our neighbors as we had no desire to go back...even for basically a free meal. They went a couple weeks later and had a poor experience as well. Perhaps it was too early in the game or the mgt at this one sucks, but they blew their opportunity to make a good first impression on me. Now the Fish Market in C-Bus on-the-other-hand...Yum!

Interesting. Had heard nothing good, bad , or indifferent about the one up here before last night. We went late, like 8:30, when service usually lags too.

And any restaurant of Cameron Mitchell's I've been to has been great.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby mikebrownz26 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:06 am

Best Happy Hour food specials anywhere. A huge cheeseburger and fries costs $1.50.

I also agree with you on Abuelo's. I went there in June and had BBQ Shrimp fajitas. If I'm ever on death row, that's going to be my final meal.
mikebrownz26

Favorite Player: Phil Dawson
Least Favorite Player: Scott Stewart

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:34 pm

Rich if you are going west for you new job, there is a small new place that is unique and has good food.

Melts on Detroit in Lakewood (3-4 store fronts east of Warren Rd.), bar n restaurant.

Just a small casual bar, nothing like a sports bar, the menu is based on grilled cheese, you name it they make it grill cheesed.

Pretty good stuff for quick meal and a beer or 10.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:54 pm

FUDU wrote:Rich if you are going west for you new job, there is a small new place that is unique and has good food.

Melts on Detroit in Lakewood (3-4 store fronts east of Warren Rd.), bar n restaurant.

Just a small casual bar, nothing like a sports bar, the menu is based on grilled cheese, you name it they make it grill cheesed.

Literally right next door to my new office. Already hit it up last week. No food, just beers. Had Dogfish Head IPA on draft, so it made a great first impression on me.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby comish » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:47 pm

The wife and I went to M & S a few months ago and had a GREAT experience. I had a swordfish steak...man! Good stuff!

Great wine list...we had very good service.

I've been to the Fish Market in C-Bus several times. Very good, but M & S had the better value IMO 8) :cool: 8-)
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Swerb wrote:
FUDU wrote:Rich if you are going west for you new job, there is a small new place that is unique and has good food.

Melt on Detroit in Lakewood (3-4 store fronts east of Warren Rd.), bar n restaurant.

Literally right next door to my new office. Already hit it up last week. No food, just beers. Had Dogfish Head IPA on draft, so it made a great first impression on me.

Christ, Swerb! You work a decent discus throw from where I live. Melt is the official Closest Bar To My House.

It's been a couple weeks. Have you eaten there? If you haven't yet, do it soon. Their sandwiches are awesome. And the beer list is killer. Only the Beer Engine has a better beer selection in Lakewood (or almost anywhere else in Cleveland, for that matter).

Let us know how the food worked for ya! (Perhaps this can be better accomplished in a separate thread, so as not to hijack this one :-) :smile: :) )
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:38 pm

M & S is a good place for seafood for a chain restaurant. I've eaten in one in Seattle last year and just last Friday night in Arlington VA

Its about the only place you'll ever see pan fried oysters anymore and they're excellent.

That being said, as an outsider who has spent a few New Years Eves in C-Town, no place beats Johnny's or the other joint down the street from the Key Center, the name of which escapes me at the moment
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry