Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Collective Bargaining

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Collective Bargaining

Unread postby bostondog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:52 am

Does anybody have a read on how the Collective Bargaining agreement is going to effect the Browns? My understanding is the NFLPA and the NFL are not even close to a deal. The Browns have significant cap room, but if the structure of the NFL's salary cap could change significantly, is it wise to spend like drunken sailors this year and lock yourself into long-term contracts? I wonder if agents will be demanding more this year given the uncertainty of those negotiations? The Browns typically pay a premium to attract talent anyway and I wonder if that might be compounded.

Thoughts?
bostondog

Re: Collective Bargaining

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:59 pm

bostondog wrote:I wonder if agents will be demanding more this year given the uncertainty of those negotiations? The Browns typically pay a premium to attract talent anyway and I wonder if that might be compounded.

Thoughts?

Though I don't know the rationale behind it, it seems to be opinion of those who are supposed to know that the uncertainty of the CBA will drive down the cost of the vast majority of free agents, so it sounds like it could really help us. It might also explain us letting Bryant test the FA waters before making him an offer, as well as the rumor mentioned on the other other board that we're doing the same with Orpheus Roye.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:30 am

Fantastic piece by Lester this morning. This stands to help the Browns immensely in FA. This portion of the column made my mouth water.

The free agent market would have been strong regardless of the CBA non-extension. However, there are now two major factors that amplify the Browns advantage even more:

There will be many more impact players on the market due to the drastic cuts that will take place

There will be fewer teams capable of signing those players to contract

Looking to improve your interior line? Instead of competing with a dozen teams for LeCharles Bentley, the Browns could be competing with as few as four teams. Oh, and if Bentley isn’t there, plan B might be Kevin Mawae. Or Will Shields at guard.

Need to improve at Linebacker? Will Witherspoon and Julian Peterson are playing hardball? That’s okay, we’ll go down the list to three time Pro Bowler Lavar Arrington, or maybe former Defensive Player of the year Derrick Brooks. I’m sure one of them can replace Ben Taylor quite nicely.

The Browns need a Nose Tackle. Let’s use Sam Adams and Grady Jackson as leverage against Kemoeatu. Where else are these guys going to go? If we don’t sign them, who will? Certainly not the Redskins, Raiders, or 15 other teams who will have barely enough space to sign their 2006 draft picks.

Even though he was exposed as a bumbling idiot this off-season, Lerner has always been willing to spend, and knows he is teetering on the brink of losing a healthy portion of this fan base with another 6 win season.

This off-season is shaping up to be one of the most interesting in Browns history.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yogi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Bloody Thursday.

This could be a Holiday in Cleveland!

We should be able to get to at least average in EVERY position by signing vet FAs. No longer should we have a sub-standard position player starting for us.

I have always felt that you build your strongpoints on the team via the draft and use FA to eliminate any weaknesses. With a lot of good veteran talent available at all poitions, the enormous amout of money we are under the cap, with a GM that has a plan, and a HC that people would actually want to play for AND a lack of compition for those available FA's, we should strike gold in the coming weeks.

Play-offs should not be a laughable goal this season, it coule well be attainable!
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:51 pm

Bloody Thursday.

This could be a Holiday in Cleveland!

I'm still recovering from Fat Tuesday.

Points well made though Yog.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Hold on a sec guys.

Remember this is Cleveland. While the situation we are in looks promising....I am not counting on anything until we get said players.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

This is the Clevleand Browns though...

Unread postby bostondog » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:35 pm

...and like the Titanic, I'm sure somebody forgot to put the binoculars in the crow's-nest and we just can't see the iceberg yet. :D
bostondog

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Do you guys really think it will go down like this?

If there is one thing that I know, it is that teams like cleveland never remain in a situation of advantage for too long. The league will make a bunch of exceptions and special "one-time" considerations to appease the rest of the major markets.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:36 pm

That bitch Lucy is toying us with the football again.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:00 pm

Furls...dead on. It's like the owners got together and said, "you mean Cleveland is in a good spot, lets give this thing a couple more days".
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Zactly.

A new deal will be struck, and Cleveland WILL NOT have an advantage we all were wishing for.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL