Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Official Blue Jackets Offseason Thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Official Blue Jackets Offseason Thread

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:05 pm

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/06/le ... egin.shtml

Evidently, the Jackets are very interested in offering picks to obtain exclusive rights to talk to Malone and/or Orpik from the Pens. They trade the picks when the deal(s) is/are reached

In my view, this is a no lose deal for the Jackets. Orpik would more than replace Foote's minutes and Malone would be a decent pairing with Nash.

How about your thoughts?
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Orpik grew a lot this season, but he's not the franchise defenseman that they need. If the price for Orpik is losing Schenn or Pietrangelo at that #6 spot in the draft, it's not worth it. I realize that Orpik is proven and the draftees aren't, but if you have a shot at a franchise defenseman, you take it.

If you can get Orpik for some dead weight or the 19th pick, then I really consider it.

I really like Ryan Malone's game, but he's only worth a 2nd rounder. Anything higher than that, and forget it.

I'm still holding our for the Marleau + Carle for CBJ 1st + Zherdev rumor. I'd try to get them to take the 19th overall pick for him, but if not, getting back a role player like Semenov for a depth forward like Malhotra/Chimera would be a very good move.

They should draft and develop a franchise D while trading for depth guys like Cullimore. That will make them better all around. They should take a shot at Redden if they want to spend money.

I prefer Jokinen to Marleau, as he would probably play better with Nash.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 pm

Jokinen is the pairing with Nash that the Jackets need.

The Pens, as I understand it, don't have a pick until Round 4, so if the Jackets give the Pens #19 and a 2nd for Orpik and Malone, that sounds like a pretty straight-up deal to me. I doubt if the Pens want any players in return. they need picks and are already up against it on the salary cap anyway.

The deal with SJ for Marleau and Carle would be cool, but I like the idea for Jokinen better myself.

BTW...On Orpik, the guy is a straight up fiend with a nasty demeanor. If that isn't something the Jackets need, then I'm missing something. Even if the Jackets just go after Orpik out of the Pens tandem, that would be fine.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:09 pm

I changed the title of this thread to include most Blue Jackets offseason news, though I'd love the traffic around these parts.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:31 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I changed the title of this thread to include most Blue Jackets offseason news, though I'd love the traffic around these parts.

No sweat dude. You're the mod. With the responsibility comes the right.

Just came over the wire: the Jackets have just acquired R.J. Umberger and a 4th round pick from Philly for the Jackets pick at 19 in the first and their third.

Umberger is a player I have always liked and he's coming back to Columbus where he played collegiately with The Ohio State Buckeyes.

If Umberger can be as deadly against the Wings as a Jacket as he was against the Pens as a Flyer, the Jackets might have someone special. Here's hoping they get him in the fold for a few years. He should be a solid addition for a Jackets team looking for some scoring punch.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:37 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:No sweat dude. You're the mod. With the responsibility comes the right.

Just came over the wire: the Jackets have just acquired R.J. Umberger and a 4th round pick from Philly for the Jackets pick at 19 in the first and their third.

Umberger is a player I have always liked and he's coming back to Columbus where he played collegiately with The Ohio State Buckeyes.

If Umberger can be as deadly against the Wings as a Jacket as he was against the Pens as a Flyer, the Jackets might have someone special. Here's hoping they get him in the fold for a few years. He should be a solid addition for a Jackets team looking for some scoring punch.

I tossed this in the draft thread, but we can comment on it here too.

As for my initial thoughts on this move...

Obviously, it remains to be seen who goes at #19 and what kind of career they have. But, they gave up a first round pick for a proven 2nd line centerman. They still lack that #1 center, and with Jokinen off the board to Phoenix, Marleau is all that's left. Many rumors I've read speculate that CBJ will deal their high 2nd rounder for Antoine Vermette, but he's not a 1st line centerman either.

Overall, Umberger's going to have it tough playing Detroit 10 times a year, and a much improved St. Louis team that added another terrific defenseman tonight in Alex Pietrangelo.

To me, it looks like a move where Howson's trying to better his team now instead of wait two or three years on a draftee. I like the idea of bettering the team now because they need to make the playoffs. But, Phoenix has easily had the best draft so far and practically stole Jokinen. That's another team to contend with in an already cluttered Western Conference. St. Louis might be a playoff team, and the obvious top 6 will stay right there.

On another note, I still don't like the Filatov pick. They should have dangled that high 2nd to move up to 4th or 5th and get Schenn. That high 2nd and a 4th gets it done.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:To me, it looks like a move where Howson's trying to better his team now instead of wait two or three years on a draftee. I like the idea of bettering the team now because they need to make the playoffs. But, Phoenix has easily had the best draft so far and practically stole Jokinen. That's another team to contend with in an already cluttered Western Conference. St. Louis might be a playoff team, and the obvious top 6 will stay right there.

On another note, I still don't like the Filatov pick. They should have dangled that high 2nd to move up to 4th or 5th and get Schenn. That high 2nd and a 4th gets it done.

I don't like the fact that Columbus decided to go that young with Filatov. It's not a move I figured they would make. We'll have to see, but I don't see where Filatov makes immediate waves.

St. Louis and Phoenix, with the moves they have made today, are almost assuredly playoff contenders right now. Gretzky has been doing all the little things right in the desert and they might begin paying off next season for the Coyotes.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:I don't like the fact that Columbus decided to go that young with Filatov. It's not a move I figured they would make. We'll have to see, but I don't see where Filatov makes immediate waves.

As I said earlier, Filatov's expected to come to North American and go in the CHL Import Draft in the top two. It's probable that he'll play there for at least 2-3 years, especially if he isn't ready. I think a certain number of U20 Euros can play in the AHL, but they won't rush him along.

One benefit in this is that Vladislav Tretiak, former Soviet Red Army goaltender, has likely met with Filatov already because he is very in favor of young, talented Russians coming to the States to further their hockey careers. While the country used to be against the taking of their talent, Tretiak understands the great importance to these players and encourages them.

On that, I have to save some things for my piece on the main page tomorrow, after rounds 2-7 are complete.

St. Louis and Phoenix, with the moves they have made today, are almost assuredly playoff contenders right now. Gretzky has been doing all the little things right in the desert and they might begin paying off next season for the Coyotes.

The West continues to get better than the East. While Florida is going to be the doormat again with absolutely zero depth down the middle, probably making Nathan Horton a centerman and limiting his offensive potential, there are very few doormats in the West. The Kings will be weak yet again, and they have yet to answer their goaltending problem. Trading Cammalleri makes them even worse. The Oilers won't be any good either.

Clearly, Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota, and Calgary are all in already, barring injuries. This leaves two spots for St. Louis, Colorado, Columbus, Phoenix, and Chicago.

Chicago just keeps getting better. Toews and Kane are tremendous talents. The D keeps maturing with Barker and Seabrook. I love their chances as a playoff team.

Phoenix keeps getting better as well. Jokinen helps and they've got an awesome corps down the line. I think they're a year or two away, but they'll be a thorn and be in it for a while.

St. Louis is a darkhorse this year without a doubt. Their D is insanely strong for the foreseeable future. They just picked up goaltending insurance with Chris Mason to lessen some of Legace's workload.

Colorado's going to need Joe Sakic back because they have no real veteran presence. They've got lots of depth and growing to do on D.

I see at least ten teams still ahead of Columbus. They need to address some needs on July 1 or they're still on the outside looking in and picking in the top 10 again.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:49 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:The West continues to get better than the East. While Florida is going to be the doormat again with absolutely zero depth down the middle, probably making Nathan Horton a centerman and limiting his offensive potential, there are very few doormats in the West. The Kings will be weak yet again, and they have yet to answer their goaltending problem. Trading Cammalleri makes them even worse. The Oilers won't be any good either.

Clearly, Detroit, Anaheim, San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota, and Calgary are all in already, barring injuries. This leaves two spots for St. Louis, Colorado, Columbus, Phoenix, and Chicago.

Chicago just keeps getting better. Toews and Kane are tremendous talents. The D keeps maturing with Barker and Seabrook. I love their chances as a playoff team.

Phoenix keeps getting better as well. Jokinen helps and they've got an awesome corps down the line. I think they're a year or two away, but they'll be a thorn and be in it for a while.

St. Louis is a darkhorse this year without a doubt. Their D is insanely strong for the foreseeable future. They just picked up goaltending insurance with Chris Mason to lessen some of Legace's workload.

Colorado's going to need Joe Sakic back because they have no real veteran presence. They've got lots of depth and growing to do on D.

I see at least ten teams still ahead of Columbus. They need to address some needs on July 1 or they're still on the outside looking in and picking in the top 10 again.

I'm in nearly complete agreement with you here, but how much realistically does Dallas have left in the tank?

As I understand it, Sakic is leaning toward retirement. If that's the case, Colorado becomes a non-factor as well.

St. Louis getting Mason is like stealing candy from a baby. I would expect them to be right in the hunt for next year's playoffs.

We'll see about Chicago. I'll agree with you all day on the guys you mentioned, but they still need a goalie. Khabibulin hardly strikes fear into many teams, but he is the avowed #1 GK for the Blackhawks. The longer he is #1 on their depth chart, the longer their playoff credentials have a question mark behind them.

Also, Anaheim and San Jose are getting longer in the tooth. They are still reliably in the playoffs, but only with good health.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:44 am

buckeyehoppy wrote:I'm in nearly complete agreement with you here, but how much realistically does Dallas have left in the tank?

Because Tampa didn't demand Fistric or Niskanen in a deal, they're more than set on the back end. Zubov is still solid, and Daley is a great talent. I also love Boucher's game. Don't forget Brad Richards, Brendan Morrow, and their supporting cast. I've always loved Marty Turco, even with his playoff struggles. They're in next year without question.

As I understand it, Sakic is leaning toward retirement. If that's the case, Colorado becomes a non-factor as well.

I have a hard time counting out Colorado, regardless of Sakic's status. With all the talent they have up front, they're always dangerous. Plus, they have some great talent on D in guys like Cumiskey and Boychuk that could step in and play a solid 14-15 minutes a game as bottom pairing guys. I expect them to keep Foote, too.

St. Louis getting Mason is like stealing candy from a baby. I would expect them to be right in the hunt for next year's playoffs.

I'm pencilling them in as a 7 or 8. John Davidson has done an extraordinary job so far. I really like their team and they are very very balanced.

We'll see about Chicago. I'll agree with you all day on the guys you mentioned, but they still need a goalie. Khabibulin hardly strikes fear into many teams, but he is the avowed #1 GK for the Blackhawks. The longer he is #1 on their depth chart, the longer their playoff credentials have a question mark behind them.

It's still the same Khabibulin that led TB to a Cup just a few years ago. He only has to be good enough to compete in what is probably the weakest division in the West. With all the young talent that they have coming together, including secondary guys like Patrick Sharp, they're in great shape.

Also, Anaheim and San Jose are getting longer in the tooth. They are still reliably in the playoffs, but only with good health.

I would bet a large amount of money that both teams make it in. A very large amount of money. I wholeheartedly disagree with you saying Anaheim's getting old. Giguere is getting up there, but all of their top forwards are under 30. I'm still shocked that they traded Andy McDonald, but they still have the corps to carry them into April. Same with San Jose. Their D is questionable with guys like Rivet, but Vlasic will improve. Guys like Pavelski and Mitchell will only get better. And Nabakov is, well, Nabakov.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:19 pm

First move of the day for Columbus, the Jackets trade Gilbert Brule to the Edmonton Oilers for gritty grinder Raffi Torres.

This move definitely brings in a Hitchcock-type player for the Jackets.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:50 pm

Biggest move of the day and it does not bode well for the Jackets.

Defenseman Brian Campbell will be a Chicago Blackhawk for the next 8 seasons locking in a $57 million deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242194& ... Story_main
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:34 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:First move of the day for Columbus, the Jackets trade Gilbert Brule to the Edmonton Oilers for gritty grinder Raffi Torres.

This move definitely brings in a Hitchcock-type player for the Jackets.

Skating Tripods wrote:Biggest move of the day and it does not bode well for the Jackets.

Defenseman Brian Campbell will be a Chicago Blackhawk for the next 8 seasons locking in a $57 million deal.

Love the move made to obtain Torres. I like most of the guys in the Edmonton system and Torres was one of those guys who was constantly under the radar but frequently had productive shifts.

Brule going to Edmonton will be a good move for him. It will give him a chance to start something new after flagging in Columbus.

Only slightly bummed about Campbell. The deal he got tempers my disappoint a few degrees. Campbell is good, but I don't know about $7M a year good. The Blackhawks are starting to build up a little. But I've seen this before out of them and signing the big $$$ guy has blown up in their face as often as it has worked.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:15 pm

The Jackets get some help, but not what they really needed.

Defenseman Mike Commodore signed to a five-year 18.75M deal. That's a 3.75M cap hit.

They still have some money to play with, but this isn't the signing I envisioned.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:17 pm

Brian Rolston also off the board. 5 yrs 20 mil to New Jersey. How Scott Howson couldn't have matched that is beyond me.

Another name off the board. Michal Roszival back to the Rangers for 4 yrs 20 mil.

Niklas Hagman to the Leafs. He wasn't high on my list and didn't fill a need.

In terms of updates, Columbus is in negotiations to package players for a first line center and also deep in Wade Redden talks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:38 pm

Wade Redden goes where the money is. The New York Rangers sign Redden, 6 yrs 39 mil. That's a 6.5M cap hit.

This leaves Brooks Orpik as the last of the big four defensemen. Huselius and many of the other forwards remain out there, though Vrbata is on his way to Tampa Bay.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:40 pm

Another note I forgot to mention, the Toronto Maple Leafs and Jackets are discussing a deal that revolves around Dan Fritsche for Pavel Kubina. Toronto needs to shed some cap room and Kubina's a good fit in Columbus.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:49 pm

Marian Hossa, the top prize of this year's free agency, goes to Detroit for a one year 7.4 million contract.

On one hand, this is insanely shocking. Rumors were that the Bruins offered Hossa a 12-year deal worth upwards of 100 mil. On another hand, Hossa wants to be a key piece in winning a Cup and then sign elsewhere. Detroit has to be the overwhelming favorite to win the Cup again.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:51 pm

Breaking news to report:

The Columbus Blue Jackets have traded Parma, OH native Dan Fritsche and Nikolai Zherdev to the New York Rangers in exchange for D Fedor Tyutin and D Christian Backman.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:49 pm

Columbus has reached a 4-year 19M dollar deal with FA F Kristian Huselius. That signing is what made Zherdev expendable and now, if CBJ can ink Brendan Morrison, they're in much better shape to compete.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Lots of good stuff for the Jackets the past 24 hours.

I will STRONGLY disagree with you on Commodore, Tripods. Commodore is a great add and along with the addition of Tyutin and Backman, the Jackets have a definitely improved blue line. Commodore has won at every level he's played at (no small intangible there) and can lay the wood with the best of 'em.

BTW, are you as amazed as I am at the deal Hainsey got? He's getting $4.5M/for the next 5 years. The Jackets got Commodore cheaper than that and he's a better player.

Morrison would complete the picture. I really hope Howson can get him. He's been a dependable forward for the Canucks when healthy and I feel like he could really help bolster the Columbus attack.

Even so, Columbus has had a pretty fair off-season to this point. I'll miss Fritsche, but he is getting a great opportunity with NY Rangers. I look at him finding a pretty fair niche there among all the stars.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby jack_tors » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Sean Avery has signed a 4 year, 15.5 million dollar deal with the Dallas Stars.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=pag ... eid=367613

On a side note, so far I am happy with the Blue Jackets moves. They needed to make some changes as that team seemed to fall asleep at times last season. They may not have been able to add another scorer to complement Nash but the defense should be better and they now have players more suited to Hitchcock's system.
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:07 pm

jack_tors wrote:Sean Avery has signed a 4 year, 15.5 million dollar deal with the Dallas Stars.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=pag ... eid=367613

On a side note, so far I am happy with the Blue Jackets moves. They needed to make some changes as that team seemed to fall asleep at times last season. They may not have been able to add another scorer to complement Nash but the defense should be better and they now have players more suited to Hitchcock's system.

TRIPODS!!!:

Hey, someone is interloping on our hockey geekdom :eek: :o :-o :eek: :o :-o :eek: :o :-o

Dude, should we let him in or what? ;-) ;) :wink:
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:22 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:TRIPODS!!!:

Hey, someone is interloping on our hockey geekdom :eek: :o :-o :eek: :o :-o :eek: :o :-o

Sure, why not? This isn't Russia, Danny. Is this Russia?

I will STRONGLY disagree with you on Commodore, Tripods. Commodore is a great add and along with the addition of Tyutin and Backman, the Jackets have a definitely improved blue line. Commodore has won at every level he's played at (no small intangible there) and can lay the wood with the best of 'em.

Well, I didn't like the Commodore signing at the time because Roszival, Redden, Orpik, and Streit were available. The fact that Ron Hainsey gets a 5/22.5 and Orpik gets a 6/22.5 for is ridiculous. The market is a joke.

They still don't have a bona fide puckmoving defenseman. Tyutin's a very good two-way player, but he still isn't the offensive guy they need. Backman's a much better Tollefson.

The Jackets are unquestionably better today than they were at the start of yesterday. I still wish that the rumors of Fritsche for Kubina would have been true and happened.

I love the Huselius signing. Absolutely love it. Cheaper than what Zherdev would have cost after next year and going to put up the same production. He's a distributor first, finisher second. That will help, especially if Umberger's forced into first line ice time.

Their D is very sound:

Tyutin-Klesla
Hejda-Commodore
Backman-Russell

I'm probably forgetting someone. They should trade Tollefson for a pick at this point.

jack_tors wrote:They may not have been able to add another scorer to complement Nash but the defense should be better and they now have players more suited to Hitchcock's system.

Exactly. Good point. You can tell that Hitchcock's ideology was all over these moves. If nothing else, this Jackets team won't roll over and die.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:46 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
buckeyehoppy wrote:TRIPODS!!!:

Sure, why not? This isn't Russia, Danny. Is this Russia?

Appreciate the invite into the geekdom gentlemen. There seems to be a very few in this town interested in the Jackets (and hockey in general for that matter!). Outside of a good friend of mine, there isnt many to discuss this moves with so this is cool.

jack_tors wrote:They may not have been able to add another scorer to complement Nash but the defense should be better and they now have players more suited to Hitchcock's system.

Exactly. Good point. You can tell that Hitchcock's ideology was all over these moves. If nothing else, this Jackets team won't roll over and die.[/quote]

I totally agree with this statement. I watched this team just quit on tv and in person twice this past season. It was just the most aggrevating thing to watch. With Hitchcock, the new blueliners, and a healthy Leclaire, this could be a fun season. Too bad Chicago and Detroit got better as well.
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:36 pm

The Ottawa Sun is reporting that the Jackets are preparing offer sheet for restricted free agents Antoine Vermette and Andrej Meszaros.

http://www.ottawasun.ca/Sports/Senators ... 1-sun.html

The team with the player has, as the article mentions, the chance to match the offer sheet.

Honestly, they will match pretty much any offer for Meszaros. Vermette can probably be had, but he gets lumped into the group of 2nd line centers that the Jackets already have. They still won't have a true top notch centerman.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Interesting story about Ken Hitchcock and how he will be spending this 4th of July. Hope everyone had a good 4th..

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=pag ... eid=367601
jack_tors

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:49 am

jack_tors wrote:Interesting story about Ken Hitchcock and how he will be spending this 4th of July. Hope everyone had a good 4th..

JT...great story on Hitch. Got a couple friends who are re-enactors, so I'll be e-mailing them the link.

Again, great stuff!
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby jack_tors » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:26 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:
jack_tors wrote:Interesting story about Ken Hitchcock and how he will be spending this 4th of July. Hope everyone had a good 4th..

JT...great story on Hitch. Got a couple friends who are re-enactors, so I'll be e-mailing them the link.

Again, great stuff!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed the story, it was pretty interesting. I am excited for the Jackets this season and have been a fan of Hitchcock since his days in Dallas.
jack_tors

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 am

The Blue Jackets have inked R.J. Umberger to a 4 year extension. Info on the deal can be found below..

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/?se ... eid=367898
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:39 pm

jack_tors wrote:The Blue Jackets have inked R.J. Umberger to a 4 year extension. Info on the deal can be found below..

3.75M cap hit.

A bit of an overpayment IMO. I guess the extension is fine, but 4/12 would have been much better. 750k is a lot to play with in the cap.

I'm really interested to see what Pascal Leclaire sucks out of them.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:35 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:The Blue Jackets have inked R.J. Umberger to a 4 year extension. Info on the deal can be found below..

3.75M cap hit.

A bit of an overpayment IMO. I guess the extension is fine, but 4/12 would have been much better. 750k is a lot to play with in the cap.

I'm really interested to see what Pascal Leclaire sucks out of them.

Leclaire probably hits the mother lode with another good year.

I'm fine with the Umberger extension. It seems like they accomplished that deal at market rate.

Overall, I am pleased with the Jackets haul this off-season. It doesn't look like they improved much on paper. But the guys they got seem to play in Hitch's mold, so we'll see if the chemistry actually works with what they got.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:54 am

buckeyehoppy wrote:Leclaire probably hits the mother lode with another good year.

Leclaire's an RFA this year. I'm surprised that there hasn't been an offer sheet sent his way yet.

After seeing that Brooks Laich just got 3/6.2, I'm much more comfortable with the Umberger extension, though I'd have waited to see him play and see his chemistry with the team.

On another interesting note, Ray Emery has gone overseas to play.

Mike Peca re-signed for 1/1.315. Really good deal for Columbus there.

Also, a 3-year extension through 2012 for Ken Hitchcock. That's a very very good move by Howson.

Overall, I am pleased with the Jackets haul this off-season. It doesn't look like they improved much on paper. But the guys they got seem to play in Hitch's mold, so we'll see if the chemistry actually works with what they got.

As am I. Latest I've read puts them around 45M. That means that they still have a ton of money to play with to go the offer sheet route to a guy like Antoine Vermette. I fully expect them to get a multi-year deal done with Leclaire for 5/25-30 before all is said and done.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Lots of interesting things happening league-wide in the past few days...

You may have noticed that the Jackets signed Nikita Filatov. That contract has been rejected by the NHL Central Registry. Not due to the following passages, but a wording mishap that did not agree with the current CBA. The revised deal is expected to be ratified sometime today. http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/07/re ... _two.shtml

Now, the most pressing news surrounding Filatov. The KHL is a new Russian Super League, most European hockey-literate nations have one. Jaromir Jagr, Ray Emery, Marcel Hossa, Josef Vasicek, Branislav Mezei, Mike York, Niko Kapanen Tomas Mozjis, Alexander Radulov and others have left the NHL to play in the KHL. Radulov even opted out of the remaining year on his contract with the Predators to go overseas to play.

What does this mean for the Jackets? Well, lots of things. The KHL is offering a 200k buyout to the Predators to let Radulov out of his contract. Meanwhile, the KHL is attacking the Blue Jackets for signing Filatov. They have asked the International Ice Hockey Federation to investigate. Read here: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16216

While Filatov won't make the team over Voracek and Brassard, this is still a troubling situation for the Jackets. Now that Filatov is signed, the KHL can demand financial reparations- not good for a small market team like Columbus. The NHL has apparently verified a legal document in which Filatov gave his 30-day notice to the Russian Federation about leaving for North America, according to the Puck Rakers blog of the Columbus Dispatch.

Evidently, Filatov decided not to be a part of the CHL Import Draft and is rumored to be headed to Syracuse if he does not make the Jackets team out of camp. Along those lines, another Russian import, Maksim Mayorov is expected to make his way to North America this year. He will be another one who won't make the team, but I hope that he will go to Syracuse and play with Filatov. Filatov's blog (all in Russian) notes that he knows Mayorov "very well".

This article, http://www.championat.ru/hockey/article-23155.html , translated on another hockey message board says that Medvedev, the KHL commissioner, wants 1.5M to let Filatov come to the US.

This article, http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... aff65f5723 , says that 500k is the price.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/07/ba ... ussr.shtml One of the more recent posts about the story. This really clears it all up.

So after that long-winded explanation, other transactions. Joakim Lindstrom has been traded to Anaheim for a Conditional Draft Pick (4th round-7th round depending on games played)

As per usual, check out http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/ for Aaron Portzline's blog on the Jackets. That's where most of this comes from. Other parts are from Russian translators on various hockey message boards.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

While my post echoes and only I hear it, Filatov's contract has now been approved by the NHL.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby SeeBeeJay » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:12 pm

Any word on Vyborny's future (however small) with the club? He could still be a top 6 forward with this club.
SeeBeeJay

Unread postby SeeBeeJay » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Clevelanders who discuss hockey! Sweet! only 17,996 more and we can bet the Barons back! My 2 cents on the CBJ's offseason:

Torres 4 Brule: Great. G would have fallen out of favor fast in Hitch's new system, so it's a "something for nothing" deal. Brule may be a successful player, but it wasn't happening here.

UFA Commodore: 2 years too long, but a lot of guys got this treatment/ Rolston has 2 good years left, not 4. Redden has 3 "good" years left, not 6.

Fritche and Z for Backman/Tyutin: A wash until:
CBJ signs UFA Huselius: Combine these moves, since Howson certainly did.
The team became more of a Western Confernece team this offseason. For 2 years now, they were playing a more up-ice eastern conference style (albiet without the players to do it with). The revamped defence should make Pascal even stronger, but more importantly, there will be WAY more depth. Last year, this team had TWO 20 goal scorers. Two! That's only two more than I have, and I didn't even try. They conceiveably have a number of 20 goal scorers this year:
Nash, Umberger (Given some PP time), Huselius, Torres (Please), Modin (Pretty Please), and HoRah! Derek Brassard! The dead weight is mostly gone (once we send OKT packing), and the division got much weaker with Nashville's terrible offesason.
Am I an eternal CBJ optimist? Sure. But, you have to admit that what they were doing wasn't working. This offseason seems to be quite a few steps in the right direction.
SeeBeeJay

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:50 pm

SeeBeeJay wrote:Any word on Vyborny's future (however small) with the club? He could still be a top 6 forward with this club.

Welcome aboard!

Last I heard of it was on another message board and posters were discussing his desire to return to the Czech Republic.

In all honesty, I could see him jumping ship for the KHL and being a premier player over there. The salaries that NHL players are getting for joining that league are completely tax-free, part of the sweetening of the pot for some.

UFA Commodore: 2 years too long, but a lot of guys got this treatment/ Rolston has 2 good years left, not 4. Redden has 3 "good" years left, not 6.

That's just the market. I think that the Tyutin deal was examined and agreed upon before Commodore was signed. This sures up the middle pairing of the defense for a long time.

I love the Rolston deal and wish that Columbus would have persued him harder.

Redden's a bit of an overpayment, but I know he has 6 good years left in him without a doubt. He's a moose of a human being.

and the division got much weaker with Nashville's terrible offesason.

I completely disagree with this. The Blackhawks are light years better than they were last year with consistent goaltending in Cristobal Huet and a stud like Brian Campbell. Radulov's decision to go to the KHL certainly hurts them, but Detroit got even better getting Marian Hossa. They might win 55-60 games this year. St. Louis is also much better and has a tremendous top 6 on D with just enough scoring to get by.

I project Columbus 4th in the division, and I can't see 4 Central Division teams in the playoffs. I barely see 3.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:04 pm

SeeBeeJay wrote:Clevelanders who discuss hockey! Sweet! only 17,996 more and we can bet the Barons back! My 2 cents on the CBJ's offseason:

Torres 4 Brule: Great. G would have fallen out of favor fast in Hitch's new system, so it's a "something for nothing" deal. Brule may be a successful player, but it wasn't happening here.

Fritche and Z for Backman/Tyutin: A wash until:
CBJ signs UFA Huselius: Combine these moves, since Howson certainly did.
The team became more of a Western Confernece team this offseason. For 2 years now, they were playing a more up-ice eastern conference style (albiet without the players to do it with). The revamped defence should make Pascal even stronger, but more importantly, there will be WAY more depth. Last year, this team had TWO 20 goal scorers. Two! That's only two more than I have, and I didn't even try. They conceiveably have a number of 20 goal scorers this year:
Nash, Umberger (Given some PP time), Huselius, Torres (Please), Modin (Pretty Please), and HoRah! Derek Brassard! The dead weight is mostly gone (once we send OKT packing), and the division got much weaker with Nashville's terrible offesason.
Am I an eternal CBJ optimist? Sure. But, you have to admit that what they were doing wasn't working. This offseason seems to be quite a few steps in the right direction.

SeeBeeJay, welcome to the ClevelandFan hockey nerdery. We now have double the number of hockey experts at ClevelandFan that ESPU has at their entire network. Let's get Tripods a raise! :lol:

I love getting Torres and Commodore and think that the team concept will be strengthened with their presence. Commodore's intangibles alone are worth picking him up.

Umberger is interesting because he adds depth at forward. Tripods and I differed on his impact. I feel he might have a shot at being a capable first line C. But, in honesty, that is a gamble at this point. In a pinch he might be able to cover the spot, but perhaps not as a full-time thing. We'll see, but RJ was a very good pickup for CBJ, SeeBeeJay.

I'll differ with you on the improvement in the division, however. They have a brutal start and end to their regular season sked and the Blackhawks and Blues are greatly improved. I'd be pleasantly surprised if both made the playoffs, but that could happen.

If the CBJ were in the East, they would be a playoff team next season. It could happen in the West, too, but A LOT of things would have to go their way.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby SeeBeeJay » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:28 pm

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying, but I will disagree about a couple of things:
1: Even with the market the way it is, I never saw Rolston coming to Columbus. Like a couple of other players his age, he wanted to go to a stronger contender. To bring him into the fold here, they would have had to blow him away with an offer, probably 5 years. I can't see paying Rolston until he's 40. He's a consistant first liner who plays solid defense, and he's got one of the biggest shots in the game, but that skill goes with the stregnth, which will be off 4 years from now. I don't think he was ever really considering Columbus, but maybe played our offer to get a bigger one (like Redden clearly did, and I suspect Morrison did also).
With a more balanced schedule, I think the central can get 4 teams in. I hated the offseasons of almost everyone in the Northwest, ad really think that it went from the toughest division to one of the weakest. Nashville will be in a tailspin, as Radulov's late Russian signing really hurt the Pred's ability to replace him, and that leads me to an argument that will get ripped, but I'll defend it as well as I can:
Chicago will make the playoffs, but only because a lot of low-playoff teams got much worse
They are essentially a one-line offense, and one line teams don't make it in the Western Conference. I love the Campbell signing, but Huet's money could have beefed up the offense. I just don't think they can be consistant enough night in and night out. Plus, they are one top-line injury away from a legit bad offense. I don't think they are bad, by any means, but I just don't see them there come April. Here's my best guess for the rundown, with the teams as they are now:
1:Detroit (who could be as dominant a team as we have seen in years)
2: San Jose (But Boyle won't be nearly as good in the West)
3:Anaheim (depending on how they get under the cap)
4:Dallas (The real drop comes inbetween the Ducks and the Stars)
5: Calgary (who, I guess has enough talent left to win a division that got worse)
6: Edmonton (who could win the Northwest)
7: Chicago (will be second in the Central)
8: Columbus (Because I pick them here every year)\
9: Colorado (Starting to show age, and I bet they really hated Finger's rediculous offer)
10: Minnesota (Went backwards, and got older. Terrible offseason)
11: Phoenix (Defense really hurts with Ballard traded)
12: Nashville (won't score much and traded away it's best defenseman)
13: St. Louis (who will improve in 09-10)
14: Vancouver (BAD offseason)
15: Los Angeles (who somehow got worse AGAIN)
But I'm an optimist.
SeeBeeJay

Unread postby paddio » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:31 pm

SeeBeeJay- I am very excited about the Bluejackets offseason and optimistic about next season. I think your 8th ranking is just about right.
paddio

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:07 pm

SeeBeeJay wrote:1: Even with the market the way it is, I never saw Rolston coming to Columbus. Like a couple of other players his age, he wanted to go to a stronger contender. To bring him into the fold here, they would have had to blow him away with an offer, probably 5 years.

I'd have paid Rolston without question. He's a leader to play with Nash, a phenomenal special teams player, and a terrific skater. I'm not sure Howson really even talked to Rolston's people, though. I think that'd be a huge misstep if he didn't.

With a more balanced schedule, I think the central can get 4 teams in.

No chance in hell. That would mean one team gets in from the Northwest, and that will not be the case.

Chicago will make the playoffs, but only because a lot of low-playoff teams got much worse

I also completely disagree with this. They have the best Top 6 in the Western Conference on D. The Campbell signing gives them a perfect balance of offense and defense. The most underrated player in the Central Division is Duncan Keith, who can skate like the wind. Add Campbell to a defense that already featured Cam Barker and Brent Seabrook, and top it off with another dynamic puckmover in Dustin Byfuglien (who may even play forward) and whoever the 6th is, probably Brent Sopel. I pencil them in for a 5 or 6 seed, especially with Bill Wirtz out of the picture and someone willing to spend at the deadline if need be. Don't underestimate Huet either.

I agree that they need another scorer, but Toews and Kane are both going to get better and I could see 85+ points from each of them.

Here's my best guess for the rundown, with the teams as they are now:
1:Detroit (who could be as dominant a team as we have seen in years)
2: San Jose (But Boyle won't be nearly as good in the West)
3:Anaheim (depending on how they get under the cap)
4:Dallas (The real drop comes inbetween the Ducks and the Stars)
5: Calgary (who, I guess has enough talent left to win a division that got worse)
6: Edmonton (who could win the Northwest)
7: Chicago (will be second in the Central)
8: Columbus (Because I pick them here every year)\
9: Colorado (Starting to show age, and I bet they really hated Finger's rediculous offer)
10: Minnesota (Went backwards, and got older. Terrible offseason)
11: Phoenix (Defense really hurts with Ballard traded)
12: Nashville (won't score much and traded away it's best defenseman)
13: St. Louis (who will improve in 09-10)
14: Vancouver (BAD offseason)
15: Los Angeles (who somehow got worse AGAIN)
But I'm an optimist.

My West:

1. Detroit (Stanley Cup champion and 55-60 wins)
2. Anaheim
3. Calgary
4. San Jose
5. Dallas
6. Chicago
7. Minnesota
8. St. Louis
9. Phoenix
10. Columbus
11. Colorado
12. Edmonton
13. Vancouver
14. Nashville
15. Los Angeles

St. Louis is a superior team to the Jackets in my opinion. Their top 6 is much better, even with the Tyutin and Commodore acquisitions. Pietrangelo probably won't challenge for a spot this year, but when he's ready, they'll get that much better. This is why Columbus made a huge blunder in not moving up to draft Luke Schenn. The more I read about Filatov, the more he sounds appetizing (and much better than Zherdev), but they needed a franchise defenseman.

Phoenix is a hell of a lot better than you give them credit for as well. While they lost a piece in Ballard, Jokinen was a piece that they desperately needed to help out Shane Doan. They have a good mix of veterans and young up-and-comers, as well.

While the 8-11 seeds are mostly interchangeable, as I'm pretty sure you were alluding to, it's hard to make Columbus a playoff team. They still have scoring problems, and it all depends on Brassard and Voracek, because I don't think Filatov makes the team yet. They're moving in the right direction, though. Howson should make a move if they're still in it around playoff time (see Arnott, Jason as a possibility).
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:34 am

The Blue Jackets have signed forward Mike York to a one year deal. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/?se ... eid=368998

Not exactly the signing I was hoping for but the veteran leadership should help.
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 pm

jack_tors wrote:The Blue Jackets have signed forward Mike York to a one year deal. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/?se ... eid=368998

Not exactly the signing I was hoping for but the veteran leadership should help.

Not a huge fan of this signing. He's not really an upgrade over Chimera, Malhotra, or even Brassard. It just bogs down the center position. Hell, even Novotny's better.

Interestingly, it's a two-way deal, which means that he can be sent to Syracuse without having to clear waivers. He also had just signed with the KHL a couple weeks back and decided, instead, to stay in North America.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Re: Official Blue Jackets Offseason Thread

Unread postby paddio » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 pm

I did a Blue jackets Preview a few weeks ago, if you want to check it out here it is. can't wait until the season starts.

Blue Jackets Preview
paddio

Re: Official Blue Jackets Offseason Thread

Unread postby paddio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:31 pm

Great opening win for the jackets!!! Youngsters Voracek and Brassard with goals and Rick Nash with the game winner in OT!!!
paddio

Return to The Neutral Zone