Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Attacking The Netflix Q

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Attacking The Netflix Q

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Finally finished knocking out most of the good '07 flicks on Netflix.

Somehow through that, my Q actually grew from about 50 movies to 60.

Following films have been lingering on there forever. Which ones should I move up? Anyone have anything good or bad to say on any of these films?

~In The Valley of Elah
~Atonement
~Sweeney Todd
~In The Bedroom
~Once Upon A Time In America
~Primer
~Miller's Crossing
~Layer Cake
~Charlie Wilson's War
~The Host
~Hot Fuzz
~King of New York
~Cache
~Wonderland
~Glory Road
~Invincible
~Damage
~In Dreams
~Alpha Dog
~Pan's Labyrinth
~Even Money
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Thats a solid list alot of underrated movies there.

If you liked Shaun of The Dead you will love Hot Fuzz that might be one of my favorite comedies ever.

Pan's Labyrinth is one of the 5 best movies I have ever seen

In the Valley of Elah and In the Bedroom are brilliant

Glory Road is really good Josh Lucas was stellar.

Charlie Wilson's War was really good. Tom Hanks and Phillip Hoffman play off each other very well.

Those are the 1st 6 I would go with but I havent seen the rest so I cant give an opinion on those.

Happy Viewing.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:53 pm

I watched parts of Sweeney Todd while my girlfriend was watching it. Neither one of us really liked it. I don't really think it was a good role for Johnny Depp, and there's that inherent problem with some actors (Gary Sinise) where you can only picture them in one role. My girlfriend couldn't get past the Edward Scissorhands similarities while I couldn't see past the Pirates trilogy.

It was a very dark musical, without question. It wasn't my taste, but I didn't even think it was done well, or cast well.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:05 pm

All these lists tell me is that despite being married, having three kids and rarely going out, I have no idea how I am spending my time.

I've seen none of those.

I did watch I am Legend and NCFOM this past weekend. Thought NCFOM was excellengt and i really enjoyed I am Legend as well. Cool concept, pretty well executed.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Invincible and Glory Road were both really good sports movies. Glory Road was actually filmed on campus at LSU when my wife and I attended. She's an extra in the crowd at the championship game (one of those half second crowd pan over shots). :lol:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:31 pm

You should add The Lives of Others and then redo your 2007 rankings...
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:51 pm

~In The Valley of Elah
Keep this where it's at

~Atonement
Drop it entirely. Remember "Black Dahlia"? You've been warned.

~Sweeney Todd
I still think you'll like this one...it'll appeal to the sick bastard side of you.

~In The Bedroom
Keeper

~Once Upon A Time In America
Keeper

~Primer
Never saw it

~Miller's Crossing
Good to watch, not as good as I had hoped

~Layer Cake
Good for watching an early Daniel Craig, but different

~Charlie Wilson's War
Will see this week.

~The Host
Bleh...you know my opinion of horror movies.

~Hot Fuzz
I'd move this to the top 5 of your queue

~King of New York
~Cache
~Wonderland
OK...lot's of better movies on the list...move it down.

~Glory Road
~Invincible
Fun to watch...probably keep where it's at

~Damage

~In Dreams
With Annette Benning and Robert Downey, Jr? Great casting, but drop this like it was Jason Michaels. I'd almost prefer "10,000 B.C."

~Alpha Dog
~Pan's Labyrinth
~Even Money
[/b]

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:05 pm

~Atonement
Drop it entirely. Remember "Black Dahlia"? You've been warned.

Thanks for the tip. This one was slowly moving up my Q as well.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You should add The Lives of Others and then redo your 2007 rankings...

Just Q'd it and moved it up.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Swerb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:You should add The Lives of Others and then redo your 2007 rankings...

Just Q'd it and moved it up.

I'm there as well.

After Swerb's excellent recommedation of "Downfall" a few years ago, I'd be a fool to ignore this.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Mitch wrote:
I'm there as well.

After Swerb's excellent recommedation of "Downfall" a few years ago, I'd be a fool to ignore this.

Thanks for the reminder on Downfall. I am going to track it down this weekend.

(as well as Once)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby waborat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:18 am

Yep, I watched "Downfall" because of Swerb's ranking...very good flick!!!

Hey Dick, definately move "Once Upon A Time In America" up your list (just give yourself 4 hours to watch it)...that movie is in my top 20 of all-time
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby mrburns » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:45 am

The only two I've seen are Layer Cake and Invincible.

Layer Cake was cool, pretty much what got Daniel Craig the Bond role. Good, not great.

Invincible is on the better end of sports movies. Wahlberg needs more roles like this, he thrives as the simple, normal guy.

Suggestion: add sci-fi pic Sunshine to the list. Pretty unknown European flick starring Cillian Murphy (the Scarecrow from Batman Begins). Pretty solid, neat little space movie. Reminded me of Alien, only without the alien, if that makes sense. Goes a little nutty in the third act, but still good.
mrburns

Favorite Player: Rusty Branyan
Least Favorite Player: Rapist QBs

Unread postby waborat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:24 am

I've got the following '07 movies left to see...are any of these worth my time?

Fracture
Mr. Brooks
Rescue Dawn
Children Of Men
Once
waborat

Unread postby Guest » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:30 am

waborat wrote:I've got the following '07 movies left to see...are any of these worth my time?

Fracture
Mr. Brooks
Rescue Dawn
Children Of Men
Once

Fracture and Mr. Brooks are wastes of time...Fracture was especially disappointing because Sir Anthony just played a less likable version of Hannibal (without the dietary supplements), and Ryan Gosling sucked.

Rescue Dawn is a good, underated film. Anything with Christian Bale is going to be good (except "The Prestige"...and I blame that on Hugh Jackman).

Children of Men was in my Top 5 list for 2006 (when it was in limited release). Interesting sci-fi...great concept...but not for everyone. If you liked Pan's Labyrinth, you'll like this.

Once? Given your dislike of Juno, I'm not sure I'd recommend it...but since you'd go into it not expecting it to be a comedy, you may not be disappointed. Very simple film, lots of Irish folk music, but a wonderful tale of a very complicated relationship with a great, realistic ending.

Unread postby swerb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:30 am

Only ones I've seen on that list are Children of Men and Once.

Children of Men, I gotta rewatch it. Wasn't too impressed initially, but after seeing how well its fared on IMDB, seeing it do well in our Sci Fi bracket, rereading Mitch's good review of it ... I gotta give it another whirl.

Once, I think the comp is Lost in Translation. If you liked Lost in Translation, you will most assuredly like Once. If you thought Lost In Translation was overrated ... you will likely not think much of Once.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby waborat » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks guys...I'll remove Fracture & Mr Brooks...I have The Prestige on my Q as well so I'll drop that too...

It's not that I thought Juno was a bad movie, but after hearing all of the hype I was expecting a lot more? I really liked Pan's Labyrinth so I'll keep COM & Once

Haven't seen Lost In Translation yet either, so I'll add that one
waborat

Unread postby furls » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Glory Road was actually filmed on campus at LSU when my wife and I attended.

I am an extra in Windtalkers although I have never been able to find myself. THey did a lot of work for the filming at Marine Corps Base Hawaii when I was stationed there.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby CarolinaTribe » Fri May 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Swerb wrote:Only ones I've seen on that list are Children of Men and Once.

Children of Men, I gotta rewatch it. Wasn't too impressed initially, but after seeing how well its fared on IMDB, seeing it do well in our Sci Fi bracket, rereading Mitch's good review of it ... I gotta give it another whirl.

Once, I think the comp is Lost in Translation. If you liked Lost in Translation, you will most assuredly like Once. If you thought Lost In Translation was overrated ... you will likely not think much of Once.

Swerb, let me know your feelings are you watch Children of Men again. It was one of my least favorite films of the year, but everyone else I know seems to love it.
CarolinaTribe

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 09, 2008 1:46 am

Dude.

Great movie. Wow.

2006 though.

A must add to the Netflix Q's of anyone who hasn't seen this. #48 all time on IMDB to give you a clue.

1984 East Germany, pre the Wall going down. High profile couple comes under surveilance of the Stasi, the commies that were running East Germany back in those days. The man conducting the surveilance becomes absorbed into their lives.

That description doesn't do this one justice. Just rent it. All in German, with subtitles. Incredible film.

Thanks for the recommendation. Totally turned around my Thursday night after the Cavs debacle.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Fri May 09, 2008 8:42 am

Swerb wrote:

Dude.

Great movie. Wow.

2006 though.

Still considered a 2007 release for the US (and therefore for Oscar consideration), as it wasn't released to the public in the US until 2/9/2007.

Same as "Once". IMDB has it as 2006, but the US release was 5/16/2007.

I have had this movie sitting on my counter for over a week...just been too damn busy to get to it.

Looks like I'll find some time this weekend.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat May 10, 2008 1:15 am

Swerb wrote:

Dude.

Great movie. Wow.

2006 though.

A must add to the Netflix Q's of anyone who hasn't seen this. #48 all time on IMDB to give you a clue.

1984 East Germany, pre the Wall going down. High profile couple comes under surveilance of the Stasi, the commies that were running East Germany back in those days. The man conducting the surveilance becomes absorbed into their lives.

That description doesn't do this one justice. Just rent it. All in German, with subtitles. Incredible film.

Thanks for the recommendation. Totally turned around my Thursday night after the Cavs debacle.

Glad to turn you onto it, I am just elated that someone finally decided to take my recommendation. I don't pimp a movie unless I think it is special.

I'll say this though, I was the first person on TCF to see/rave about Juno and The Lives of Others... if only that damn Mitch hadn't beat me on Once.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2008 10:09 pm

E0y hit one out of the park on this recommendation.

Like with Swerb, "The Lives of Others" goes into my Top 5 for the year.

Incredible film. Finished it 10 minutes ago, and I'll need a day or two of reflection to comment on it appropriately.

After sitting through the abomination that was "Speed Racer", I needed this to restore a little faith in the potential of films.

VERY INTERESTING NOTE: I was reading a review of this film, and it was revealed that the wife of Ulrich Muhe (who played the Stasi captain HGW XX/7), was in real life an actual informant for the Stasi.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 pm

What are the odds of getting a review out of you Mitch?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri May 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Mitch wrote:VERY INTERESTING NOTE: I was reading a review of this film, and it was revealed that the wife of Ulrich Muhe (who played the Stasi captain HGW XX/7), was in real life an actual informant for the Stasi.

I believe everyone in East Germany was.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Good point, Buff.

Don't know about a review, E0y...got one coming pretty much every week (for good or bad) over the next few months, and I've only done one previous one for a DVD...

But one could never tell. Might throw one together if/when I have time, and then let Swerb fit it in on a lighter sports news day.

(which may start tomorrow if the Cavs don't step it up).

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Mitch wrote:Good point, Buff.

Don't know about a review, E0y...got one coming pretty much every week (for good or bad) over the next few months, and I've only done one previous one for a DVD...

But one could never tell. Might throw one together if/when I have time, and then let Swerb fit it in on a lighter sports news day.

(which may start tomorrow if the Cavs don't step it up).

Yeah, I did forget that summer movie season is really starting to heat up.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Bumping this for some more suggestions. I stumbled upon a free Blockbuster trial for a month, so I'm trying to see as much as I can.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm

I've just recently subscribed to Netflix, and I've really been enjoying it. Many thanks to all of the suggestions on this website. I currently have a movie in my Q and it's availability is listed as Unknown. This is the first time I've come across this and was wondering if any of you "experienced" Netflix subscribers could let me know what this means.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:19 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:I've just recently subscribed to Netflix, and I've really been enjoying it. Many thanks to all of the suggestions on this website. I currently have a movie in my Q and it's availability is listed as Unknown. This is the first time I've come across this and was wondering if any of you "experienced" Netflix subscribers could let me know what this means.

J, I think that means they do not yet know the release date of the DVD. Is it a new film?

And man ... I agree. The movie reccomendations I've gotten in this forum have been super. We're real lucky to have some really knowledgable film fans that contribute in here.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:19 pm

Hey Swerb, thanks for the reply. Actually I'm almost embarassed to be sharing this, but I was just trying to "relive my youth" and it's an old GI Joe cartoon series, Series 1 I believe. It shows that the other series are available, but it just wouldn't be right if I didn't start at the beginning? :lol:

And just for the record, I just sent back High Tension......very suspenseful flick, although I kinda felt bad as I watched it with my wife and didn't realize it was "quite" that graphic. Would have been a killer movie to check out with the boys though.

Thanks again for the heads up on it fellas. I've got Boondock Saints on the way now, and I've heard nothing but great things about it.
jclvd_23

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Recent Netflix activity for me...

"The Other Boleyn Girl" Do not rent it unless you are suffering from a terrible case of insomnia.

"The Bucket List" - Surprised me on how much I liked this. Not very subtle on how they pull the strings, but Jack and Morgan playing off each other made it worth it.

"The Water Horse" - If you've got kids, this is one that you won't mind watching with them. Great thing about English "children" oriented movies...they actually are pretty intelligent.

Finally watched "From Hell" for the first time. Don't know why I waited.

Coming next on my list are "Jumper", "In Bruges", and I've got to see "Hellboy" again before watching the sequel in a couple of weeks.

"Vantage Point" and "The Bank Job" are two more coming out in the next couple of weeks that I'm looking forward to seeing.

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Just watched "Death at a Funeral" which was a fairly hilarious low-profile British comedy.

Well, don't watch it if you would find hiding a blackmailing gay dwarf in a coffin to be in bad taste.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Mitch wrote:Coming next on my list are "Jumper",
Vantage Point".

Jumper was very mediocre. It wasn't as bad as many of the critics said it was, but it was very mediocre. There were parts where I was very entertained and was anxious to see what would happen, but the movie really lulls at times as well.

Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoyed Vantage Point. The parts where they go back in time to show each individual person's perspective gets a little irritating, but overall I thought it was a good movie. A great chase scene and a really cool concept for a movie.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:44 am

I'll throw a couple of suggestions in here:

For those who liked Children of Men, get the book. It's small, and a fast read, but it blows the movie out of the water (and I loved the movie). PD James is the author and she is one of the best writers I have ever come across. Stunning visual imagery in her words.

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen is Eulogy, with Ray Romano, Hank Azaria, Rip Torn, and Kelly Preston (among others). It had a limited theatrical release in the U.S., but it's hilarious. You won't be sorry.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby waborat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:21 am

Mitch wrote:"The Bucket List" - Surprised me on how much I liked this. Not very subtle on how they pull the strings, but Jack and Morgan playing off each other made it worth it.

I agree Mitch, we watched this last night and it was nothing like how the studio marketed it...It sure wasn't a "comedy caper" like they would make you believe...one of the hidden gems of '08 so far
waborat

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:58 pm

Latest contribution.

The Bank Job.

Not at all what I expected. Great heist film...a fictional (maybe) account of some real events.

When I saw Jason Statham, I was expecting the normal unrealistic crap he was involved with...an action comedy.

Nope...this is a good thriller/crime film/drama. Best film from 2008 that I've seen that I hadn't previously reviewed.

Although I'll also given credit to "Vantage Point"...very interesting movie...but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:46 pm

I find myself rechecking this thread on a daily basis looking for more suggestions. Many thanks again to those of you who contribute to this site. I've viewed such fine flicks as Pan's Labrynth, In the Valley of Elah, and High Tension, and figured I'd go ahead and list the movies in my queue now to see others opinions (Brilliant idea Swerb). Right now I have the following, some of which have been covered.

1.) Downfall (based on previous suggestions)
2.) The Bank Job
3.) Heat: Special Edition (really curious about this one)
4.) Memphis Belle
5.) Schindler's List (I know I know)
6.) The Deer Hunter
7.) 21 (Have heard mixed reviews)
8.) Hott Fuzz
9.) Green Street Hooligans
10.) Bridge to Terabithia
11.) Spiderwick Chronicles (I have a 10 yr old and figure 10 & 11 might be good for family flicks?)
12.) 25th Hour (I'm a big fan of Ed Norton, but don't recall this movie)
13.) Funny Games (mixed reviews as well)
jclvd_23

Unread postby jfiling » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:12 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:5.) Schindler's List (I know I know)

You better know. Watch it immediately. Best movie you haven't seen yet.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:53 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:7.) 21 (Have heard mixed reviews)

I really liked 21, but I'm a gambling addict and it's a topic that really interested me. I thought that all the actors put together pretty good work, but the love story seemed out of place to me.

Also, get Schindler's List immediately. Best Spielberg movie I've ever seen, and that's saying something with his resumé.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:27 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:I find myself rechecking this thread on a daily basis looking for more suggestions. Many thanks again to those of you who contribute to this site. I've viewed such fine flicks as Pan's Labrynth, In the Valley of Elah, and High Tension, and figured I'd go ahead and list the movies in my queue now to see others opinions (Brilliant idea Swerb). Right now I have the following, some of which have been covered.

1.) Downfall (based on previous suggestions)
2.) The Bank Job
3.) Heat: Special Edition (really curious about this one)
4.) Memphis Belle
5.) Schindler's List (I know I know)
6.) The Deer Hunter
7.) 21 (Have heard mixed reviews)
8.) Hott Fuzz
9.) Green Street Hooligans
10.) Bridge to Terabithia
11.) Spiderwick Chronicles (I have a 10 yr old and figure 10 & 11 might be good for family flicks?)
12.) 25th Hour (I'm a big fan of Ed Norton, but don't recall this movie)
13.) Funny Games (mixed reviews as well)

Man, you got some great movies in there. You're gonna have fun working through that list.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark yet Swerb?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:51 am

Skating Tripods wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:7.) 21 (Have heard mixed reviews)

I really liked 21, but I'm a gambling addict and it's a topic that really interested me. I thought that all the actors put together pretty good work, but the love story seemed out of place to me.

Also, get Schindler's List immediately. Best Spielberg movie I've ever seen, and that's saying something with his resumé.

Tripods,

Did you read 'Bringing Down the House' by Ben Mezrich? It's the book the movie was based on and it's excellent. So is his book 'Ugly Americans'. In fact, he's cornered the market on the damage 20-somethings can do when so motivated. 8) :cool: 8-)

Seriously, if you haven't read them they are both more than the worth the time. I didn't like 'Busting Vegas' as much but it's solid as well.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:52 am

Man, you got some great movies in there. You're gonna have fun working through that list.

That's why I truly dig this board.....I wouldn't have heard of several of these movies if it wasn't for logging on here.

Mitch, I know Swerb has a top 200 or so movie list, and I was wondering if you ever compiled a list of your own (or would ever consider doing so)? I always look forward to seeing Swerb's updated version, and thought it might be cool to see the sites "movie critic" put together a list as well. I'm not sure how much work it would take, or if you'd even be interested.....it's just a thought.
jclvd_23

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 am

jclvd_23 wrote:
That's why I truly dig this board.....I wouldn't have heard of several of these movies if it wasn't for logging on here.

Mitch, I know Swerb has a top 200 or so movie list, and I was wondering if you ever compiled a list of your own (or would ever consider doing so)? I always look forward to seeing Swerb's updated version, and thought it might be cool to see the sites "movie critic" put together a list as well. I'm not sure how much work it would take, or if you'd even be interested.....it's just a thought.

I have a Top 100 All-time list, which hasn't been repeated in a while, but here is the link.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... hp?id=1976

A heads up; during the week of August 4th, I'll be posting a detailed list of the Top 100 films from 2000-2008.

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:24 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Watched Raiders of the Lost Ark yet Swerb?

I haven't watched a movie (besides Cars, which I've watched like six times) in like two months. With movies, I go in runs. I'll watch 4 a week for 3 months, then take a couple months off.

It's been sitting on top of my DVD player since May.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:21 am

Watched 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' last night. Excellent film. Enjoyed the cast and how they put that movie together.

Also rented 'In Bruges' based on the recommendation of some cat at work. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

It sounds pretty damn good.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:00 am

I have a Top 100 All-time list, which hasn't been repeated in a while, but here is the link.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_ ... hp?id=1976

A heads up; during the week of August 4th, I'll be posting a detailed list of the Top 100 films from 2000-2008.

Thanks Mitch, I'll definitely check it out.
jclvd_23

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:11 am

Peeker643 wrote:Also rented 'In Bruges' based on the recommendation of some cat at work. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I rented it, and it's right now on my Bottom 5 list for 2008.

Some good Tarantino parts here and there, but basically pretty dull, interspersed with weird.

Given the cast, I expected a lot better.

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:19 am

Mitch wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:Also rented 'In Bruges' based on the recommendation of some cat at work. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

I rented it, and it's right now on my Bottom 5 list for 2008.

Some good Tarantino parts here and there, but basically pretty dull, interspersed with weird.

Given the cast, I expected a lot better.

Sweet. Now that my expectations have been sufficiently lowered I can watch it later and not be too terribly disappointed.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture