Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Grills

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Grills

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Anyone have a grill they would recommend? I'm looking to buy one, but want some reviews first. I was thinking about the Weber Genesis...anyone own one?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Re: Grills

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:26 am

Lebowski wrote:Anyone have a grill they would recommend? I'm looking to buy one, but want some reviews first. I was thinking about the Weber Genesis...anyone own one?

Lebowski, I own a Weber Genesis. And love it.

Hands down, Weber makes the best grills. They cook great, clean easy, and come with a ten year warranty on all parts.

I've got this one:

IMO, there are certain things in life worth spending an extra couple bucks for. And a grill is one of them. I actually bought mine in the dead of winter right off the floor from a HH Gregg my buddy worked at. Was like a $460 grill, negotiated and got it for $199.

Get the Weber Lebowski. The new Genesis's look even nicer.

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 pm

I won't knock a Weber, they are very good. However I found out from a friend that the best grills known to man are of the exclusive variety, the ones you will never see in 99% of most retails places.

A friend of mine bought some obscurely named grill in the 80's used for like $300+ back then, still uses it today and it is perfect in every way. Has special this and special that for it's important parts, all of which will not rust out etc...

I see this guy once every 2-3 years. I just remember him saying a couple of years ago to get online and search for two particular names and pay the extra $100 or so and shipping, unfortunately the names escape me. They may even be foreign for all I know, actually what isn't?

edited to add: IIRC Ducane is the one my friend had. I believe they are tied to Weber some how, either they make Weber grills or Weber bought Ducane, yada yada yada. Bottom line is they are exceptional grills and IIRC come with 10 year warranties or more.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Man, either go cheapest availble where you can swop out the parts for pennies or drop it all on 100% stainless w/ all brass where the gas goes. The Jen Airs with the infra red elements look amazing. But I can't see why you'd go for part stainless & part not. All gas / propane grills are just oven broilers flipped upside down. They are conveneince items I love. Real outdoor cooking only gets done with wood and time, nd who has time for that?

But check out where I had dinner this week:

http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/index.html

For real.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 pm

JB wrote:Man, either go cheapest availble where you can swop out the parts for pennies or drop it all on 100% stainless w/ all brass where the gas goes. The Jen Airs with the infra red elements look amazing. But I can't see why you'd go for part stainless & part not. All gas / propane grills are just oven broilers flipped upside down. They are conveneince items I love. Real outdoor cooking only gets done with wood and time, nd who has time for that?

But check out where I had dinner this week:

http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/index.html

For real.

That place looks sweet.

Agree 100x on the grilling. That's another feather in the cap for tailgating at the Browns games. My wife and I joke that our best meal of the week is always on Home Sundays in the fall.

It's close to the truth.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks for the input everyone.

I might wait til the winter and grab a Weber on sale, as swerb mentioned.

And JB...went to Weber in Chicago recently and wasn't impressed...ribs were dry. What did you get?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:28 am

Lebowski wrote:Thanks for the input everyone.

I might wait til the winter and grab a Weber on sale, as swerb mentioned.

And JB...went to Weber in Chicago recently and wasn't impressed...ribs were dry. What did you get?

Briskett and carolina BBQ pulled pork.

I've had better but it didn't suck.

Main thing was the kitch of them actually using weber grills.

Food was secondary to the show.
jb

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 am

are you set on gas?

i picked up the weber one touch gold charcoal grill earlier this summer from target on a nice deal. food tastes amazing. love charcoal.

although i may pickup a propane grill someday just because of the ease of use.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:47 pm

Not 100% set on gas...but dont think I'm patient enough for charcoal.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:51 pm

Lebowski wrote:Not 100% set on gas...but dont think I'm patient enough for charcoal.

That's the thing. Everyone loves the charcoal taste. But who's got the time to spend half an hour getting those charcoals glowing, and the half hour on the back end to clean it up?

Weber gas grill, turn on the gas, close the lid and let that sucka heat up for five minutes, oil the grates, and you've got gorgeous mid rare strip steaks with thick ass grill marks 13 minutes later with no cleanup.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby General » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm

Swerb wrote:
Lebowski wrote:Not 100% set on gas...but dont think I'm patient enough for charcoal.

That's the thing. Everyone loves the charcoal taste. But who's got the time to spend half an hour getting those charcoals glowing, and the half hour on the back end to clean it up?

Weber gas grill, turn on the gas, close the lid and let that sucka heat up for five minutes, oil the grates, and you've got gorgeous mid rare strip steaks with thick ass grill marks 13 minutes later with no cleanup.

Shame, shame....30 minutes of waiting is the equivalent of 3-6 beers depending on heat, thirst, and drunkness desire. Clean up is tedious but powered by another couple of beers it goes well. shouldn't deter you from the charcoal grill experience. I am about to invest in a small smoker/grill combo for Saturday evening grillin and sunday smokin...since it is just me and the Mrs. we get off cheap, about $35 at the Depot. :idea:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:45 pm

A freaking men.

Throwing some mesquite or hickory soaked in H2O for 15 mins on the gas burners is a nice compromise.
jb

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:00 pm

a charcoal chimney starter gets the coals goin in about 15 minutes.

and i dont really do anything about clean up. the weber otc gold has an ash catcher that pretty much does all the work for me.

it does take more time than propane, but i got it for about 115 after tax/shipping. i consider the extra time worth the 200 or so dollar savings.

plus its further time i spend in the garage. :lol:
Stu

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:56 pm

My neighbor uses a charcoal grill. I can cook, eat, sit on my ass for an hour, go back out to clean and cover my gas grill while my neighbor is STILL COOKING!
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 am

Not only that Rich, but the person might as well hook a tailpipe up to the grill to season and cook their food, b/c that is about the equivalent in terms of how healthy cooking with charcoal is.

As others have said, it's just ridiculous how long it takes. Even the end of Layla doesn't take that long.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Lemme guess, you guys don't do much braising, do you?

(30 minutes is too long? WTF?)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby jb » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:24 am

FUDU wrote:

As others have said, it's just ridiculous how long it takes. Even the end of Layla doesn't take that long.

Nice!

Only time that works is in "Goodfellas".
jb

Unread postby General » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:33 am

If you carry your speed grilling preferences into the sack.....well, no wonder you post so much. :lol:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:12 am

JB wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Nice!

Agreed, that is the only time I can stomach that song.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:18 pm

FUDU wrote:
JB wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Nice!

Agreed, that is the only time I can stomach that song.

Clapton is the most overrated guitarist of all times.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:34 pm

As Vincent Vega would say, "That's a bold statement".

FUDU

Unread postby Stu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:49 am

FUDU wrote:

Not only that Rich, but the person might as well hook a tailpipe up to the grill to season and cook their food, b/c that is about the equivalent in terms of how healthy cooking with charcoal is.

any link to provide evidence that charcoal is worse than propane for your health?
Stu

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 am

FUDU wrote:As Vincent Vega would say, "That's a bold statement".

"He sucks."

- Beavis
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:26 am

Stu wrote:
FUDU wrote:

any link to provide evidence that charcoal is worse than propane for your health?

A much higher rate of carcinogen deposit from charcoal cooking than propane, although propane is not perfectly clean and healthy. Not to be a dick but isn't it common sense by looking at the charcoal though?

PAHs and HCA's are the key dangers in grilling, especially with charcoal.

FUDU

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:44 pm

I thought it was licking the hot grates?
jb

Unread postby pup » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:58 pm

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:15 pm

Pup wrote:Image

That would be the "Greeee - illz" thread.

War Paul Wall
jb

Unread postby Stu » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 am

FUDU wrote:
Stu wrote:
FUDU wrote:

A much higher rate of carcinogen deposit from charcoal cooking than propane, although propane is not perfectly clean and healthy. Not to be a dick but isn't it common sense by looking at the charcoal though?

But those exist in propane grilling too. Actually from what I've recently read online, they occur in all high heat cooking of meat.

Yes charcoal has more but the evidence on whether or not it creates a signficiant increase in cancer is still highly debatable.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/may/28 ... grilling28
Stu

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:17 pm

dropping the cancer discussion for a minute, the real answer is that you want both - gas and charcoal. It's really not an either-or. It's both. The gas grill comes first, and the Weber as shown looks great. The bottom line is most moderately priced gas grills will need a replacement burner every 2 years (not a big deal)- easy to do) but make sure that you can find the parts. I have a Charmglow going on 4 years, but it's ready for an overhaul so the Weber may be the way to go. Look for a large cooking area (I use the slab of ribs method - mine is currently 6 at one time and I would not consider something smaller) and be careful of the BTU argument - they include the side burner in the measurement and you may not really care about that. Also, I have friends with the infra-red "sear zone" and all I can say is "feh". Not worth the price IMO. My grill is about 25 feet from from my kitchen, but if you have a large backyard and want to grill far from the house, then maybe the side burner and other gadgets are they way to go. Me - give me high heat and lot's of space, and if it falls apart after 4 years so be it. That's about 400 meals, so I figure it's worth the investment.
mattvan1

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:22 am

Bought the Weber Genesis yesterday...to be delivered on Friday. Hopefully the weather cooperates with some grilling this weekend.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:26 am

Lebowski wrote:Bought the Weber Genesis yesterday...to be delivered on Friday. Hopefully the weather cooperates with some grilling this weekend.

And...........and...................? You grilled some steaks at midnight just to break it in?
mattvan1

Unread postby waborat » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:40 am

I bought my MHP grill in '98 and I tell everyone that they're one of the best manufacturers out there for a middle of the road grill...I spent around $900 for it (the price of a good appliance) and it has been worth every penny since...that price included the rotisserie, but not a side burner and the base is stainless steel

If you like your meats seared evenly then there's not a better cooking surface out there...you get a lifetime warranty on most of the structure and parts...the burner had an 8 year warranty and I just replaced my first burner this summer...believe it or not, the ignitor still works as the first day I bought it...the grates are some of the easiest to clean up

One of THE few purchases in my life that I'm still satisfied with a decade later....
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry