Text Size

The 19th Hole

"The Open"

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

"The Open"

Unread postby D$ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 pm

Wow! If you haven't caught any coverage, you need to. Forget the whole lack of Tiger issue everyone has decided to attach to this major (though I would enjoy seeing him in any tournament), but what an ego boost. This tourney, like none other than I've ever seen, has these guys completely rattled. Unlike the Bethpage U.S. Open, where the greens were the major handicap, the entire course and conditions are kicking these guys square in the nuts. If you want to watch pros hit shots that most of us can relate to, catch some of this tournament. These guys are all over the place. Friday has not been as ridiculous as Thursday, but who knows what conditions the weekend will bring. The Shark and Duval even in the mix, are you kidding me? Ya gotta love the majors.
D$

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:40 pm

Shaping up to be a great weekend of golf. Leaderboard is filled with intriguing names, including The Shark's improbable return to the spotlight.

Figures that I'll be in Put In Bay and unable to see any of it. Not that I'm complaining.

D$, get your ass out there this weekend. I'll be there Sat morning at 11 AM. I'll pick you up for the ferry, 8 AM Sat.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 pm

John Daly with an impressive 80-89 (+29) effort in the two days. He'll be home in time to meet you at the ferry Rich.

Harrington +2. He was doubtful all the way til yesterday's tee time to even play.

Furyk's lurking at +2 as well, 3 back. They're predicting a bloodbath tomorrow with a high-wind warning. 45 mph sustained winds.

As an aside, Chrissy Evert has held up well over the years.

Last edited by peeker643 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby D$ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Van de Choke even way up on the board? A little Open redemption or another Tin Cup remake?

Not gonna make PIB. It breaks my heart. I'm working all effin' weekend. Going to Buffett Tues. on the Rodick bus, though. Rumor has it he has some spaces and tix left.
D$

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:13 pm

I'm bummed about JD's performance. Did he even try? He is by far my favorite golfer (Elk being #2) and that was rather disappointing.

Yes, how about The Shark and Double D. It's great to see both those guys up there after day 2. Wouldn't it be something if one of them actually pulled it off? I used to hate on Duval when he was good (pre-Tiger) but now all I do is root for the guy.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:33 pm

First, I hate the fact they refer to this as "The Open", the U.S. Open is the real open.

Second, Greg Norman, get the fuck outta here.

One thing I love about some of these courses is so many guys give up after 9 or 18, IMO hilarious.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:15 pm

BDFD wrote:I'm bummed about JD's performance. Did he even try? He is by far my favorite golfer (Elk being #2) and that was rather disappointing.

Yes, how about The Shark and Double D. It's great to see both those guys up there after day 2. Wouldn't it be something if one of them actually pulled it off? I used to hate on Duval when he was good (pre-Tiger) but now all I do is root for the guy.

Always liked David Duval. His flame out was one of the deep mysteries of sports.

Rooted for him after reading this SI article years ago:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

The inaccessibility has deep roots. Considering the blows that Duval absorbed growing up, it shouldn't come as a surprise that he assumes a peekaboo stance when dealing with the outside world. When Duval was nine, bone marrow was extracted from his hips in an unsuccessful attempt to save the life of his 12-year-old brother, Brent, who had been stricken with aplastic anemia, a blood disorder. The trauma of losing their first child ravaged the marriage of Bob and Diane Duval, and David spent his adolescence in a dysfunctional family. The devastating effect that separation and a 1996 divorce had on his mother unsettled Duval. His father's subsequent remarriage compounded the pain. In the face of so much turmoil, Duval withdrew into himself. Rock is also an island.

David doesn't remember very much about Brent. "Just little scenes, like flying a kite together or him sticking up for me in a group, or playing pool with him in the hospital," he says. "I think about him more in October, when his birthday comes up." David doesn't remember undergoing the operation that extracted the marrow. Within two weeks of the procedure, Brent suffered a graft-versus-host reaction that proved fatal.

"David had a lot of problems right after that," says his father. "He was just a kid, he loved Brent, and he really believed that it was his fault that it didn't work. He became more of a loner. He never lets people see his emotions, happy or sad. We have never really talked about Brent's death. It's always been tough for him to open up, and especially tough for him to trust."

Told of his father's recollection that he suffered from guilt, David says, "It's hard to look back and say either way." Asked whether the experience had made it difficult for him to trust, he says, "I can't really answer that. It would be less than honest." His face impassive but his discomfort obvious, Duval closes the conversation. "I really don't remember what it's like to have a brother," he says. "It's like I've had two separate lives."

Quite a load to put on a child.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:08 am

FUDU wrote:First, I hate the fact they refer to this as "The Open", the U.S. Open is the real open.

Sorry...this is where golf was invented, and they started this tournament in 1860.

The U.S. Open started in 1895.

The Brits win on that one.

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:13 am

Mitch wrote:
FUDU wrote:First, I hate the fact they refer to this as "The Open", the U.S. Open is the real open.

Sorry...this is where golf was invented, and they started this tournament in 1860.

I know you're right, but it just annoys me, take the extra second and call it the British Open.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 pm

You're talking to an OSU fan, Mitch.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:58 am

The Scottish Open would be the most accurate label if we were going by history and who invented the game.

Your OSU bias in a golf thread is noted.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:50 am

Jesus. This is less like golf and more like 'Survivor'. The story of the tourney should be Furyk's -1 today.

+10 and +11 still in it.

Edit- And Norman begins to show that he can still throw up all over himself on Sundays.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Tremendous back 9 from Harrington. He didn't miss a spot on the course and played an amazing tournament in those conditions and with a balky wrist.

Not bad for a guy who didn't think he could go as late as Wednesday.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:05 pm

That five wood Padraig hit on 17 into that wind with that much pressure was one of the best non-Tiger shots I've seen in a long time.

Bummer Norman couldn't hang on, it was a great story...but this wasn't a 1996 Masters choke job.

Someone just needed four straight days of knowing how to play in those kind of conditions, plus the ability to hit those low punch shots, AND be able to putt in 35 mph cross winds.

Damn...that would have been a lot of fun to see Tiger and Paddy go at it in the last group under these conditions.

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Mitch wrote:That five wood Padraig hit on 17 into that wind with that much pressure was one of the best non-Tiger shots I've seen in a long time.

Bummer Norman couldn't hang on, it was a great story...but this wasn't a 1996 Masters choke job.

Someone just needed four straight days of knowing how to play in those kind of conditions, plus the ability to hit those low punch shots, AND be able to putt in 35 mph cross winds.

Damn...that would have been a lot of fun to see Tiger and Paddy go at it in the last group under these conditions.

My problem with Norman was brought up by the commentators as well: What he was he thinking (or not thinking) regarding club selection? He stuck witht he driver and by the time he figured it out he was on the bad side of momentum.

If a 50+ legend doesn't know how to handle those winds of Saturday and Sunday I'm not sure who would. Still, he had a little magic in him for the tourney. It was a welcome diversion in a Tiger-less tourney.

Agree on the 5-wood. Risky shot at the time given he's nursing a lead and birdie wuld have been a given had he played it safe. But he was Superman on a roll at the time.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 am

Just when I thought Jim Rome could not be more irrelevant, he sticks his foot in his mouth last night.

At the end of his show, he advocates removing the Open from the rotation of the Majors, saying that it should be The Players Championship or (are you freaking kidding?) The Wachovia.

That might have been the worst showing of stupidity from anyone at E$PN not named Skip Bayless.

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 am

Didn't see the show but is it one of theose poor attempts to be a provocateur? He occasionally plays that angle. I have a hard time believing any sensible sports fan would prefer eliminating the Open.

I think Turnberry in Scotland hosts it next year after a long time out of the rotation, no?
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby CTownPride » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:50 am

Yes, Turnberry next year followed by St. Andrews in 2010.
CTownPride

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:02 am

For the Open;

2009 - Turnberry
2010 - St. Andrews
2011 - Sandwich
2012 - Royal Lytham & St. Annes

US Open:

2009 - Bethpage Black
2010 - Pebble Beach
2011 - Congressional CC (MD)
2012 - Olympic Club (SF)
2013 - Merion (Admore, PA)
2014 - Pinehurst #2
2015 - Chambers Bay (Univerisity Place, WA - new venue)

PGA Championship:

2009 - Hazeltine (MN)
2010 - Whistling Straits (WI)
2011 - Atlanta Athletic Club
2012 - Kiawah Island Golf Course (SC)
2013 - Oak Hill (NY)

I might seriously have to start planning for 2010 at St. Andrews

Unread postby CTownPride » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Mitch wrote:Just when I thought Jim Rome could not be more irrelevant, he sticks his foot in his mouth last night.

At the end of his show, he advocates removing the Open from the rotation of the Majors, saying that it should be The Players Championship or (are you freaking kidding?) The Wachovia.

That might have been the worst showing of stupidity from anyone at E$PN not named Skip Bayless.

Interestingly, "The Open Championship" will be an all-cable broadcast beginning in 2010. This according to Sports Business Journal:

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/59637

Not that this implies no one likes the Open, but it's pretty surprising that it won't be on any major network.
CTownPride

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 am

While replacing the Open with any other tournament would be a joke, I agree with Rome that the British Open does suck. I dont want to turn my TV at 7am in July to watch a bunch of wankers wearing thermals playing golf in 50 degree weather with 40 mph winds. I don't care if golf started there, thats not interesting to me.

Give me 6" rough and greens as fast as car hoods over that crap any day.

The PGA is lame too because its run by an association of professional golfers and won't let amateurs play.

The Masters is solid, because of the exclusivity of the course, the fact that its run by a private organization, the history, and the television broadcast featuring limited commercials. The focus is on golf.

The US Open of course is the best, because its open. They don't care if you're a driving range pro who's entry check is signed by a stripper, if you qualify, you're in.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 am

CTownPride wrote:Not that this implies no one likes the Open, but it's pretty surprising that it won't be on any major network.

Just implies that no one in the US cares about the Open.
Stu

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:55 am

Mitch wrote:For the Open;

2009 - Turnberry
2010 - St. Andrews
2011 - Sandwich
2012 - Royal Lytham & St. Annes

US Open:

2009 - Bethpage Black
2010 - Pebble Beach
2011 - Congressional CC (MD)
2012 - Olympic Club (SF)
2013 - Merion (Admore, PA)
2014 - Pinehurst #2
2015 - Chambers Bay (Univerisity Place, WA - new venue)

PGA Championship:

2009 - Hazeltine (MN)
2010 - Whistling Straits (WI)
2011 - Atlanta Athletic Club
2012 - Kiawah Island Golf Course (SC)
2013 - Oak Hill (NY)

I might seriously have to start planning for 2010 at St. Andrews

Excited to see the Open return to Bethpage and the PGA return to Whistling Straits.

Two great new additions to the major championship rotations. Love both of those courses.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 am

Stu wrote:While replacing the Open with any other tournament would be a joke, I agree with Rome that the British Open does suck. I dont want to turn my TV at 7am in July to watch a bunch of wankers wearing thermals playing golf in 50 degree weather with 40 mph winds. I don't care if golf started there, thats not interesting to me.

Give me 6" rough and greens as fast as car hoods over that crap any day.

The PGA is lame too because its run by an association of professional golfers and won't let amateurs play.

The Masters is solid, because of the exclusivity of the course, the fact that its run by a private organization, the history, and the television broadcast featuring limited commercials. The focus is on golf.

The US Open of course is the best, because its open. They don't care if you're a driving range pro who's entry check is signed by a stripper, if you qualify, you're in.

Dude- Don't fuckin' get up at 7am and watch it then. Turn on the Greater Milwaukee Open. You can find it. Leave the Open to people who appreciate it and don't think it sucks.

From now on the Masters ain't a major and it sucks cuz its run by a cabal of 80yr old supremacists with old money that not only discriminates against blacks and women but also against former champions who can't keep up with the pace of play.

Welcome to Augusta where the year is always 1940.

The majors are the majors. Different tests, different styles, different courses, different tastes.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 am

Peeker643 wrote:
Welcome to Augusta where the year is always 1940.

The majors are the majors. Different tests, different styles, different courses, different tastes.

Rack that.

To me, the PGA Championship is the equivalent of the Pro Bowl.

The Masters is great because of the tradition, and the fact that it's the first one of the year, held in April, when I'm really ready to start getting into the golf and out of the Winter funk (although Peeker has a good point).

The U.S. Open is great due to how tough it is...as long as they don't make it stupid (like they've done for 5 of the last 7 years).

But the British Open is a completely different test, one that truly draws the entire world, to play the game like a real live SPORT. No rain delays unless the water is deeper than 4 inches. No miniature golf level gimmicks like island greens. No catering to whinny millionaires who get upset if they get their footjoys dirty in less than artificially pristine conditions.

I can't think of a better place to go watch a golf tournament than the Old Course at St. Andrews...hopefully I'll be there in 2010.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 am

I agree. Love the majors cause they're all different.

Nothing beats Sunday at Augusta though.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:36 am

Peeker643 wrote:Dude- Don't fuckin' get up at 7am and watch it then. Turn on the Greater Milwaukee Open. You can find it. Leave the Open to people who appreciate it and don't think it sucks.

i had to tune in though, wanted to see if Norman could pull off a miracle.

has anyone heard what abc's ratings were like this year without Woods playing in it?
Stu

Unread postby CTownPride » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:57 am

Final round coverage of the Open fell 14.6%. The Buick Open (12%) and AT&T National (48%) also fell without Tiger.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-spw-golf22-2008jul22,0,156562.story
CTownPride

Unread postby Stu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:07 pm

i wonder what kind of impact norman had on the ratings. would they have been 20% down instead of only 14% had a story like norman not been involved?
Stu

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Stu wrote:i wonder what kind of impact norman had on the ratings. would they have been 20% down instead of only 14% had a story like norman not been involved?

Guess we'll know for certain when it comes to the ratings for the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:31 pm

Mitch wrote:
Stu wrote:i wonder what kind of impact norman had on the ratings. would they have been 20% down instead of only 14% had a story like norman not been involved?

Guess we'll know for certain when it comes to the ratings for the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.

Norman has a spot in the PGA if he decides he wants it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3501350
peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to The 19th Hole