Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

I'm In Love

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

I'm In Love

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 pm

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerPr ... d=00000061

Wow! Tasty. Smooth. Potent. The Dort on 'roids.

$10 a 4 pack though.

But awesome. And 7.5%.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: I'm In Love

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Swerb wrote:http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerProfile.php?beer_id=00000061

$10 a 4 pack though.

But awesome. And 7.5%.

F.

And here I was gonna try to get back in some shape after just having blown it out on vaca!
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: I'm In Love

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

JB wrote:
Swerb wrote:http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerProfile.php?beer_id=00000061

$10 a 4 pack though.

But awesome. And 7.5%.

F.

And here I was gonna try to get back in some shape after just having blown it out on vaca!

Yeah, you might want to put that whole getting back in shape thing on the back burner.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 pm

I can't wait to get home to restock my supply. This stuff sounds great.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Just got my paws on a 4 tonite.

Three letters: O M G
jb

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:55 pm

The Imperial is bad to the bone. Three of em and you're feeling no pain. Four? Cut me Mickey.

Realy helps bridge the gap to Christmas Ale season.

Within the confines of my own home, I haven't drank a non Great Lakes beer in 9 months. Since Christmas Ale Season started last year.

I love that brewery.

20 years old this year.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Swerb wrote:The Imperial is bad to the bone. Three of em and you're feeling no pain. Four? Cut me Mickey.

Within the confines of my own home, I haven't drank a non Great Lakes beer in 9 months. Since Christmas Ale Season started last year.

I love that brewery.

20 years old this year.

I cant wait, I found a distributor in Chicago who has it. They said they wont put it on the shelf because people will buy all they have. They were only alloted a case and will only sell it to you if you ask.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Dortmunder is just such a great beer. For 15 years now, it's been a staple in my beer drinking rotation. It seems almost impossible that they have now made an enhanced version of it that tastes this smooth at 7.5%.

Little Dortmunder Gold trivia. GLB's 1st beer, and they used to call it The Heisman in honor of John Heisman, a CTown native.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Swerb wrote:The Imperial is bad to the bone. Three of em and you're feeling no pain. Four? Cut me Mickey.

I love that brewery.

20 years old this year.

Freak me.

Just crushed four and I'm strugglin' with the keyborad. And they were soooooooooooooooooo tasyty.

Guh.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 pm

I love that brewery.

20 years old this year.

Anything that close to Ignatius has to have The Great rub off on 'em. :mrgreen:

My girl had two Imperial Dorts after a couple chadonney's out with her friend, and, yeah. I'm posting by myself for the last hour hangin' with myself after moving her crunk lil butt to bed.

I'm goin' in for number 5 now!

(Took 2 x 4 packs outta Heinans)
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:49 pm

Dear God that is good. We got some at lunch and once it cooled we had to sample it. Too bad I cant finish the other 3... but if I did I probably wouldnt find my way home.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 am

Man, I still have 8 hours before I can start sipping on the first of my 3 4-packs of imperial dortmunder. It cost $30 bucks so I am thinking only 4 max in a night... then switch to something that isnt 2.50 a bottle at home... I cant wait
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Imperial Dort

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:23 pm

My lady and I split a 4 pack of Imperial Dort on Friday nite during and after dinner. We watched "Drugstore Cowboy" (starring Matt Dillion and a very young Heather Graham) after dinner. Excellent movie. But she was pretty wrecked by her 2 beers and "fell asleep" in the middle of the movie. That is a powerful beer. Please note, my girl is an Irish national and knows her way around a pint of guinness. But still, she was no match for The Imperial.

By the way, why don't Great Lakes make a cheap, crappy beer so that you can go to the bar and drink more than 3 or 4 of them without being completely wasted. Sort of like a bud light or rolling rock. You would think at least there would be a market for it.
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Re: Imperial Dort

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:29 pm

rawdawgexpress wrote:My lady and I split a 4 pack of Imperial Dort on Friday nite during and after dinner. We watched "Drugstore Cowboy" (starring Matt Dillion and a very young Heather Graham) after dinner. Excellent movie. But she was pretty wrecked by her 2 beers and "fell asleep" in the middle of the movie. That is a powerful beer. Please note, my girl is an Irish national and knows her way around a pint of guinness. But still, she was no match for The Imperial.

By the way, why don't Great Lakes make a cheap, crappy beer so that you can go to the bar and drink more than 3 or 4 of them without being completely wasted. Sort of like a bud light or rolling rock. You would think at least there would be a market for it.

Unless you are talking Guinness Extra Stout, the garden variety Guinness can be consumed around the clock with only a 30% chance at a hangover. Imperial Dortmunder is the shiznit. It's a possible take along for the Jimmy Buffett show at the Star Lake tailgate on Tuesday.

But, dude, never, ever insinuate that Great Lakes should ever stoop to the gutter and brew beer flavored piss water like Bud or Miller. Great Lakes is an awesome across the board brewery of Beer. They have a lot of product available in retail outlets and the only brewery that has as much product available at retail, off the top of my head, is Dogfish Head.

If Great Lakes ever does anything to market their product more like the big boys, they might market a limited amount of their flagship products (Dortmunder Gold, Burning River, Eliot Ness, Ed Fitz) in aluminum cans. With the way aluminum canning technology is developing and a few microbreweries out West are canning their products, it might be feasible for Great Lakes to do it in the next five years.

Aluminum canning of microbrew product might seem sacrilege. But for environmentally conscious companies like Great Lakes, it makes sense because aluminum is more environmentally friendly to recycle. As the technology to can improves and becomes more cost effective, it might become irresistible for Great Lakes to start canning if they can justify the space to do it and the cost of the equipment.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:13 am

buckeyehoppy wrote:
rawdawgexpress wrote:My lady and I split a 4 pack of Imperial Dort on Friday nite during and after dinner. We watched "Drugstore Cowboy" (starring Matt Dillion and a very young Heather Graham) after dinner. Excellent movie. But she was pretty wrecked by her 2 beers and "fell asleep" in the middle of the movie. That is a powerful beer. Please note, my girl is an Irish national and knows her way around a pint of guinness. But still, she was no match for The Imperial.

Unless you are talking Guinness Extra Stout, the garden variety Guinness can be consumed around the clock with only a 30% chance at a hangover. Imperial Dortmunder is the shiznit. It's a possible take along for the Jimmy Buffett show at the Star Lake tailgate on Tuesday.

But, dude, never, ever insinuate that Great Lakes should ever stoop to the gutter and brew beer flavored piss water like Bud or Miller. Great Lakes is an awesome across the board brewery of Beer. They have a lot of product available in retail outlets and the only brewery that has as much product available at retail, off the top of my head, is Dogfish Head.

If Great Lakes ever does anything to market their product more like the big boys, they might market a limited amount of their flagship products (Dortmunder Gold, Burning River, Eliot Ness, Ed Fitz) in aluminum cans. With the way aluminum canning technology is developing and a few microbreweries out West are canning their products, it might be feasible for Great Lakes to do it in the next five years.

Aluminum canning of microbrew product might seem sacrilege. But for environmentally conscious companies like Great Lakes, it makes sense because aluminum is more environmentally friendly to recycle. As the technology to can improves and becomes more cost effective, it might become irresistible for Great Lakes to start canning if they can justify the space to do it and the cost of the equipment.

They could put that shit in a 5 gallon bucket for all I care. I am 26 and consider myself one who can put back alot of beer and still not be wasted. However Friday night I started off the night with 3 imperial dortmunders, switched to some lighter shit because there is no sense drinking ID if you cant taste it, and in about 8 beers I blacked out. I NEVER black out from beer no matter how much I drink. Any chance it is actually just hops and moonshine?
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:05 pm

Ziner wrote:
buckeyehoppy wrote:

They could put that shit in a 5 gallon bucket for all I care. I am 26 and consider myself one who can put back alot of beer and still not be wasted. However Friday night I started off the night with 3 imperial dortmunders, switched to some lighter shit because there is no sense drinking ID if you cant taste it, and in about 8 beers I blacked out. I NEVER black out from beer no matter how much I drink. Any chance it is actually just hops and moonshine?

LOL. That's also how I feel about The Commodore.
jb

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:03 pm

We are just about out in Suburban Youngstown.

All sold out at Canfield Bev...bought 3 of the last 6 4-packs at Creekside last night.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:38 am

Ziner wrote:They could put that shit in a 5 gallon bucket for all I care. I am 26 and consider myself one who can put back alot of beer and still not be wasted. However Friday night I started off the night with 3 imperial dortmunders, switched to some lighter shit because there is no sense drinking ID if you cant taste it, and in about 8 beers I blacked out. I NEVER black out from beer no matter how much I drink. Any chance it is actually just hops and moonshine?

Dude!!! Ouch!!!

When something has 7% or better, it has a way of sneaking up on you.

Your prowess is, indeed, impressive. But as you get older, it will have funny ways of failing you. Starting off with 3 ID's is one of those ways. It's the reason I chase heavy alcohol beers with water.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:27 am

buckeyehoppy wrote:
Ziner wrote:They could put that shit in a 5 gallon bucket for all I care. I am 26 and consider myself one who can put back alot of beer and still not be wasted. However Friday night I started off the night with 3 imperial dortmunders, switched to some lighter shit because there is no sense drinking ID if you cant taste it, and in about 8 beers I blacked out. I NEVER black out from beer no matter how much I drink. Any chance it is actually just hops and moonshine?

Dude!!! Ouch!!!

Your prowess is, indeed, impressive. But as you get older, it will have funny ways of failing you. Starting off with 3 ID's is one of those ways. It's the reason I chase heavy alcohol beers with water.

I have to give full disclosure here, part of the blacking out might have been due to the 2 boot races (think beer fest) we did at a german brauhaus
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Ziner wrote:
buckeyehoppy wrote:

Dude!!! Ouch!!!

I have to give full disclosure here, part of the blacking out might have been due to the 2 boot races (think beer fest) we did at a german brauhaus

You might be able to bloack out on beer, but you have to drink a ton really, really fast for several hours. It helps to have a really empty stomach.

Muni is a great setting to try. Start at 7am with no breakfast, preferably chasing some dog that bit ye the night prior. Then if you poun enough Great Lakes, esp in cold weather, it could happen.

Got me thru the 2000 season after Couch went down. :lol:

Truth be told tho I think often it involved Kamchatka for breatfast and some Morgans & Dr Pepper at some points.

Salient point : when it comes to blacking out with beer, you gotta really want it, hustle and stay disciplined. Preparation helps, aas you can see. You have to be a grinder and respect the game.
jb

Unread postby General » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Although I claim 47 chronological years, I am only netting about 35-40. Beer blackouts while rare can be achieved with just about any combination of potency, volume, time, and stomach contents. It is a formula that always equates to balck out even when you change the coeefficients to the variables.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby jb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:31 pm

General wrote:Although I claim 47 chronological years, I am only netting about 35-40. Beer blackouts while rare can be achieved with just about any combination of potency, volume, time, and stomach contents. It is a formula that always equates to balck out even when you change the coeefficients to the variables.

Dunno General.

I can't see ever blacking out with food and light beer involved. You also need that time elemt to positively overwhelm your system.

FRiday's ater work, if you pig drink shotgun style with no dinner can create idea huricane conditions.
jb

Unread postby General » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:53 pm

JB wrote:
General wrote:Although I claim 47 chronological years, I am only netting about 35-40. Beer blackouts while rare can be achieved with just about any combination of potency, volume, time, and stomach contents. It is a formula that always equates to balck out even when you change the coeefficients to the variables.

Dunno General.

I can't see ever blacking out with food and light beer involved. You also need that time elemt to positively overwhelm your system.

FRiday's ater work, if you pig drink shotgun style with no dinner can create idea huricane conditions.

My bad, I agree, I guess modifying the equation to set stomach contents to zero would create the ideal surface low for a Cat 5 blackout. Light beer if consumed to the tune of about 1 every 3-6 minutes for about 45-60 minutes on an empty gut can set you up
pretty nicely. In addition being conditioned to rapidly consume and switching to higher potency will definitely yield a blackout of "super-typhoon" status, as I have experienced during the introduction of the ice beer phenomenom.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Spent yesterday downtown looking for wedding sites. Had the Imperial Dort. Very, very good. More malt hides some of the alcohol taste. Delicious.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry